Troy Davis, 42 is executed.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Lifestrike
RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By RaikohBlade

Everyone dies someday, he just went sooner than the rest of us. There are kids that die everyday in third-world countries, yet their individual stories aren't heard across the world. This man at least had 42 years to live.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Deusoma
@RaikohBlade said:

Everyone dies someday, he just went sooner than the rest of us. There are kids that die everyday in third-world countries, yet their individual stories aren't heard across the world. This man at least had 42 years to live.

Half of which were spent in a cell. No one who makes the effort to sign up for forums and other social places is actually this callous, so stop trying to be a dick please, friend Raikoh.
RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RaikohBlade

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

Half of which were spent in a cell. No one who makes the effort to sign up for forums and other social places is actually this callous, so stop trying to be a dick please, friend Raikoh.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just get irritated when people blow things out of proportion. What you perceive as callous is a rational outlook on the world. The facts may hurt, but they're the truth.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Indication that the justice system is outdated. Eventually, future generations will look at the jury system like Gladiator arenas in Rome or slave ownership in the previous centuries. These people should go to jail themselves for judging the destiny of other individuals without understanding them fully like a real human being.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Maajin

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

I'm not trying to be a dick, I just get irritated when people blow things out of proportion. What you perceive as callous is a rational outlook on the world. The facts may hurt, but they're the truth.

The fact that we are all going to die someday doesn't make this less fucked up. Not being from the US, I haven't heard of this case until now... If he's truly innocent, I cant even start to imagine what he went through, and his last words makes it all even sadder.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Max_Cherry

May his soul find peace. It doesn't seem right. He was strapped down,harmless, how could a person kill like that?

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GuyIncognito
@Tru3_Blu3 said:

Indication that the justice system is outdated. Eventually, future generations will look at the jury system like Gladiator arenas in Rome or slave ownership in the previous centuries. These people should go to jail themselves for judging the destiny of other individuals without understanding them fully like a real human being.

What indication?  I only learned about this tonight and have no opinion either way.    All I know is that he was on death row for 20 years.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Are we absolutely certain we lost? I realize that there is the possibility that he was in fact innocent, and if an innocent man was in fact executed, then that's a terrible shame and a tragedy. However, so many people have been caught up in the zeitgeist of protesting that the movement that, well, I really do wonder how many actually paused to consider any of the facts instead of just jumping on the bandwagon. I'm not saying that people were wrong to stage protests, but in cases like this, it really does matter that people are aware of what it is they're protesting. I for one have no solid opinion on the matter of whether justice or injustice was done, but only because I don't know enough about the case or the trial to make an informed opinion.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RaikohBlade

@Maajin said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

The fact that we are all going to die someday doesn't make this less fucked up. Not being from the US, I haven't heard of this case until now... If he's truly innocent, I cant even start to imagine what he went through, and his last words makes it all even sadder.

What I'm trying to say is that many innocent people die frequently, so looking upon this death as if it's special is a disservice to all of those other people that have died. If they're not going to have their story heard, I don't think this man deserves all of the attention he got either. It's a hypocritical act if you were to do so. Eventually, you'll get over the fact that this innocent man died and you'll get on with your life. Will you ever care as much about everyone else that has died as much as this man? I highly doubt it, since this guy got all of the spotlight and attention. Do you think that's fair to everyone else that has no voice? You can care about this man, but ignoring everyone else is pure hypocrisy.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

In death, there is nothing but truth. We all live to die.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Mars_Cleric

I hate the idea of a death penalty, it always seemed like revenge rather than justice.

Maybe they executed him because if he appealed and was found innocent, the government would have to pay for the 21 years he spent in jail.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By huntad

@RaikohBlade: Just because you've developed your own way of dealing with death doesn't mean that everyone sees it the same way. Sure, death is all around us, but just like our views on music, politics, and video games, our views on death all differ. The way you downplayed the OP's view is most likely what made the other guy call you a dick. It may be blown out of proportion for you, but your "callous" remarks come off as dickish things to say, because you force them down people's throats.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lifestrike

@RaikohBlade:

@Claude

Truth! Death happens.

Perhaps the purpose of this story is to prove that even in America, the shining star of the world, unfairness is on your doorstep.

Today it was Troy Davis, tomorrow it could be you.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RaikohBlade

@huntad said:

@RaikohBlade: Just because you've developed your own way of dealing with death doesn't mean that everyone sees it the same way. Sure, death is all around us, but just like our views on music, politics, and video games, our views on death all differ. The way you downplayed the OP's view is most likely what made the other guy call you a dick. It may be blown out of proportion for you, but your "callous" remarks come off as dickish things to say, because you force them down people's throats.

I posted in that manner so that people won't mistake how I feel about the subject. I feel it's necessary to say things in that manner because some people may be enlightened by what I say. The way I see death may help people to deal with death themselves. I intentionally downplayed the OP's view not to offend anyone, but to show that such an individual death is minuscule in comparison to the world's condition. I understand that some people might not view things the same way I do, and I respect their opinions as well. But that won't stop me from posting how I want to, and if that seriously offends somebody, then that just reveals how insecure about their feelings they really are. If one is confident in his/her own beliefs, they will not be easily swayed by another person's opinions. If they're not confident, then maybe it's a good idea to check out what the "dick" on the forum is talking about, and consider if such a view may actually work for you.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Just when I thought humanity couldn't get any worse. No, wait. That bottomed out a long time ago.

xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xdaknightx69

pretty fucked up if he was innocent , the sad fact is this is probably happening again as i type this somewhere else arnd the world ( maybe where i live )

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Vodun

@Hailinel said:

Are we absolutely certain we lost? I realize that there is the possibility that he was in fact innocent, and if an innocent man was in fact executed, then that's a terrible shame and a tragedy. However, so many people have been caught up in the zeitgeist of protesting that the movement that, well, I really do wonder how many actually paused to consider any of the facts instead of just jumping on the bandwagon. I'm not saying that people were wrong to stage protests, but in cases like this, it really does matter that people are aware of what it is they're protesting. I for one have no solid opinion on the matter of whether justice or injustice was done, but only because I don't know enough about the case or the trial to make an informed opinion.

So you consider a guilty man being executed more important than an innocent not being?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Doctorchimp

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

In that case...by all means go to your garage shut all doors and turn your car on.

Don't turn it off until I get over there you nihilistic wannabe fuck.

solidlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By solidlife

This is why I can never support the death penalty if there is a single bit of doubt How can you sentence someone to death.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By huntad

@RaikohBlade: Right, and I was not swayed nor offended, but I just wanted to point out how your statement could make you come off as a dick. I don't think anyone here is going to be seriously hurt by what you said, haha. We're just trying to say that there are certain ways of saying things that would still get your point across without sounding like an elitist or whatever. Your opinion is your opinion, and you're entitled to express it however you want. To be honest, I really don't even care anymore. I'm just trying to help make the forums an easier place for people to talk about whatever they wanna talk about. So long as everyone minds each other, then all is fine with me. Although I do realize that internet forums are a prime place for misunderstandings and chaos.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Devil240Z

Who?

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RaikohBlade

@Doctorchimp: Nihilism is one of the most foolish philosophical doctrines I've ever heard of, and I am definitely not a Nihilist. Also, I don't appreciate your usage of foul language.

@huntad: I like your style. Internet forums are indeed a prime place for misunderstandings. Thanks for expressing your feelings in such a clear, honest manner.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

Didn't you make some claim to being a Christian? You sound more like an unrepentant arsehole to me.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp

@RaikohBlade said:

@Doctorchimp: Nihilism is one of the most foolish philosophical doctrines I've ever heard of, and I am definitely not a Nihilist. Also, I don't appreciate your usage of foul language.

They're just words bro! No need to get offended at only words!

I honestly didn't mean to be callous. But I was just being rational. You don't come off as too bright so you should off yourself.

RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RaikohBlade

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

Didn't you make some claim to being a Christian? You sound more like an unrepentant arsehole to me.

You remember that debacle in that thread? I'm honored. However, your analysis of what it means to be Christian is far beneath the truth. If you want more information about it, I'd be happy to give it to you via PM's. People tend to dislike discussions of faith in the forums.

@Doctorchimp: Words can be the most powerful weapons in this universe. It's very interesting, really. Would you like to know more about it? PM me, and then we'll talk. I'd be happy to show you the truth. Also, thanks for not using foul language in your latest response.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@RaikohBlade said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

You remember that debacle in that thread? I'm honored. However, your analysis of what it means to be Christian is far beneath the truth. If you want more information about it, I'd be happy to give it to you via PM's. People tend to dislike discussions of faith in the forums.

Actually it would be your interpretation of what it means to be Christian that's far from the truth. People like you confuse your accepted dogma mixed with a self-aggrandized view of your own piousness as being Christian when really it's just a way of seeing yourself as better than some other people. Christ's teachings were about being at peace and seeking peace, not being a fucking self inflated blowhard who talks about the death of others casually. You're not a real Christian, though you probably observe dogma you don't understand.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Doctorchimp

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

Actually it would be your interpretation of what it means to be Christian that's far from the truth. People like you confuse your accepted dogma mixed with a self-aggrandized view of your own piousness as being Christian when really it's just a way of seeing yourself as better than some other people. Christ's teachings were about being at peace and seeking peace, not being a fucking self inflated blowhard who talks about the death of others casually. You're not a real Christian, though you probably observe dogma you don't understand.

Dawg...were you not paying attention?

He's the rational type of christian. The Earth is 5000 years old and a dude came back to life...but seriously fuck a dude with a weak conviction, who cares if he got smoked. IT AIN'T ME

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By benpicko
@Lifestrike

@RaikohBlade:

@Claude

Truth! Death happens.

Perhaps the purpose of this story is to prove that even in America, the shining star of the world, unfairness is on your doorstep.

Today it was Troy Davis, tomorrow it could be you.

The shining star of the world?!

LOL.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ninjakiller
@RaikohBlade said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@Doctorchimp: Words can be the most powerful weapons in this universe. It's very interesting, really. Would you like to know more about it? PM me, and then we'll talk. I'd be happy to show you the truth. Also, thanks for not using foul language in your latest response.

Thou shall not kill only applies if you're not the state, if you are the state then murder away in the people's name. Also being christian in most forms boils down to an insular petty outmoded world view with exultant and fervid bigotry against homosexuals.
RaikohBlade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RaikohBlade

@Doctorchimp: I like to use rationality as a way to communicate with non-Christians, because if I immediately start talking about Christ, people will instantly start attacking me. So I can express low-level values in a rational way without attracting too much hate. However, it hasn't been working as of late, eh?

@ninjakiller: In many forms and denominations, Christianity has indeed become as ugly as you say.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#32  Edited By Soap

With things like the death penalty if there is even a the tiniest amount of doubt about a persons guilt they should not be executed. I'm not saying I weigh in on either side of him being innocent or guilty as I don't know all the facts, but from an outsiders perspective it seems like they executed him 'just to be on the safe side'

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@ninjakiller said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@RaikohBlade said:

@Deusoma said:

@RaikohBlade said:

Thou shall not kill only applies if you're not the state, if you are the state then murder away in the people's name. Also being christian in most forms boils down to an insular petty outmoded world view with exultant and fervid bigotry against homosexuals.
Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vodun

I'm gonna throw in Ron Gilbert's (one of the creators of Monkey Island) thoughts to this debate:

Wacky idea: we keep the death penalty, but if they are later found innocent, the Governor is guilty of murder and gets the death penalty.
Hoffafiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hoffafiles

I think incarcerating someone for life is more akin to torture, if they are (without a doubt) guilty, then I see the DP as a agreeable solution. I wish I could say our legal system has gotten better, but it has not, and cases like this are far too common. I was hoping they would stay his execution.

TYUI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TYUI

If his reported final words are true, he maintained his stance until the very end. I haven't followed the case closely enough to really form an opinion about it, but if there is a genuine culprit out there who gets caught and proven to be the actual murdered, can only imagine the hell that'll break loose.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chop

Wooooooh! 

MURDER MURDER MURDER! 

I say we kill more people! This is exciting!!!!@!21!!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

Its amazing, so many investigators and court examiners in a single thread who knew Troy was surely innocent! Troy's legal team argued the evidence was flawed because they're a legal team and that's what a legal team does. Troy's lawyers aren't ballistics experts and they're the ones disputing the evidence because that's what all defense lawyers do. And Troy maintains his innocences just like most convicts do. Are most convicts innocent?

Any time a black guy ends up on death row in the south its disputed because it makes for a good story because people not from the south want to find shit that supports their stereotypes of the south. Except this case was on a police officer, so they probably put in the extra effort to find the right person as opposed to lynching the first black guy they saw.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By penguindust
No Caption Provided

The problem is he wasn't a young white girl from the suburbs.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah that was OJ's problem too.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Simplexity

You people are crazy for still having Death Penalty.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SlashDance

@Prodstep said:

This. Damn barbarians !

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CptBedlam

@Prodstep said:

Indeed.

@Vodun said:

I'm gonna throw in Ron Gilbert's (one of the creators of Monkey Island) thoughts to this debate:

Wacky idea: we keep the death penalty, but if they are later found innocent, the Governor is guilty of murder and gets the death penalty.

Great idea!

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ryanwho

Who is "you people"?

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@ryanwho said:

Who is "you people"?

I'll assume that he's referring to Americans in general -- despite the fact that the death penalty differs from state to state, right? I mean, I'm Australian, so it's really a foreign concept to me anyway (I wasn't alive when Whitlam was in power).
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

It's fucked up when an innocent man dies for a crime he did not commit. You don't expect to see this in real life, in movies sure, but not in real life. Of course, if he indeed was innocent. Anyway that cop was badass!

Mark MacPhail was shot dead in 1989 as he tried to defend a homeless man

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BraveToaster

I clicked this thread for the comments. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryanwho

@mylifeforAiur said:

@ryanwho said:

Who is "you people"?

I'll assume that he's referring to Americans in general -- despite the fact that the death penalty differs from state to state, right? I mean, I'm Australian, so it's really a foreign concept to me anyway (I wasn't alive when Whitlam was in power).

Death penalty is banned in most states. But I guess until its banned everywhere, we're all collectively pieces of shit.

Which is fine. I use those dumbass teens who rioted in London as a litmus test for every other person in the UK.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Jimbo

@ryanwho said:

@mylifeforAiur said:

@ryanwho said:

Who is "you people"?

I'll assume that he's referring to Americans in general -- despite the fact that the death penalty differs from state to state, right? I mean, I'm Australian, so it's really a foreign concept to me anyway (I wasn't alive when Whitlam was in power).

Death penalty is banned in most states. But I guess until its banned everywhere, we're all collectively pieces of shit.

Which is fine. I use those dumbass teens who rioted in London as a litmus test for every other person in the UK.

We're all really cut up about that.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By BoG

Now, I'm surprised how strong my opinions have been on this one. Whether he is innocent or guilty does not matter to me. Let's just look at that facts. This man has been on death row since before I was born (I'm 21). This is ridiculous. The money spent on this could have been used to rehabilitate him or something. As someone said earlier, our justice system is outdated. 
I heard a sound clip from the killed cop's mother, where she said, in a much softer way, that this man needed to die. With all due respect to the grieving family: move on. Forgive. If you want him dead, you pull the trigger, or inject the lethal substance, or however it's done.  
I can, in an odd way, understand the death pentaly, but I don't think our justice system is perfect enough for us to consider using it. Clearly, it does not work as a deterrent, either. 
Sad, sad day.