xdaknightx69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By xdaknightx69

hey

so after smoking for yrs i have finally decided to quit smoking, can u guys plz recommend any tips that helped u ? i don't wanna go the nicotine gun/patch route. any help would be great.

i'm on 2packs a day so i think its time to quit ( getting expensive as hell too lol )

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Try to keep yourself distracted by focusing on hobbies or doing things to better oneself, and try to avoid things that you used to associate with smoking.Try taking some night classes or something to keep you busy. I suggest a grammar class.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

Take the money you usually spend on cigarettes and put it in a jar. Over time you will see just how much money you are saving by stoping. After a couple months take the money and buy something you wanted. I have no smoking or quiting smoking experience but my uncle did that and it worked for him.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 49th

Just stop smoking. Get mad and don't smoke.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5  Edited By GS_Dan

Don't buy cigarettes, I hear that helps :3

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By penguindust

@crusader8463 said:

Try to keep yourself distracted by focusing on hobbies or doing things to better oneself, and try to avoid things that you used to associate with smoking.Try taking some night classes or something to keep you busy. I suggest a grammar class.

This is the best advice I can give as well. I quit 3 years ago after nearly two decades of the habit. It's vital to find something enjoyable that isn't associated with an old smoking trigger. Read, play games, paint, build model rockets, whatever it takes to keep your mind off another cigarette especially following dinner, drinks or whenever you used to smoke.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By IBurningStar

There is quitting cold turkey and then there is the slowly easing off method. I have seen friends have better results by slowly quitting than just giving up. Tomorrow cut the number of cigarettes you can smoke in half. You smoke two packs? Well now you can only smoke one. No matter what you can not exceed this number. Ration them. Only smoke when you feel you just can't take it anymore. Remember that the point is not to smoke one pack a day, the point is that one pack is the most you can smoke. After a week or two it will be time for you to cut your max limit by half again. Repeat this process one or two more times and then one day just don't smoke at all. 

During this time you will probably notice that you have a lot more extra cash to throw around. Suddenly you can afford to buy more games and other fun things. Your life has improved!

Or you could just quit tomorrow. That would most likely result in all kinds of unpleasant side effects, though. If you can handle it then it is the cheaper and healthier way to go.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Karl_Boss

ease yourself off slowly....at 2 packs a day going cold turkey might kill you.

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By dr_nefarious

@xdaknightx69 said:

hey

so after smoking for yrs i have finally decided to quit smoking, can u guys plz recommend any tips that helped u ? i don't wanna go the nicotine gun/patch route. any help would be great.

i'm on 2packs a day so i think its time to quit ( getting expensive as hell too lol )

Wanna have kids? Wanna see them grow up and eventually get married? That got me to quit smoking. Also, I suggest doing what msavo said.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlinkyTM

@xdaknightx69 said:

hey

What's wrong with the nicotine gun? :P

I can't add anything that other people haven't already posted.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidS

I was only a pack a day but I used the patch and after 10years of smoking I haven't had a smoke in over 18months.

I took myself out of situations while I was on the patch where smoking was common like drinking, parties, morning coffee, breaks at work etc.

I do chew a pack of gum every day now though and maybe a cigar a month.

Between the wife and I we have saved over $10,000 since we quit in May 2010.

Good Luck, it is tough.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mac_n_nina

Just stop smoking.

I smoked for 3 1/2 years prior to stopping and I just woke up and was like I'm going to quit smoking and I haven't had a cig since then.

I don't think I ever got addicted because I never felt the need to have one either.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coakroach

Chew gum?

firecreed17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By firecreed17

I just quit myself two months ago. I used the patches though. Cold turkey wasn't working for me. One bit of advice though is don't drink while trying to quit because having a drink makes the urge that much stronger. Also don't visit places you would go to usually pick up smokes, that helps.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK

Don't try to smoke cock instead, it doesn't work, believe me.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spoonman671

Stop drinking.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheJohn

Decide to be smoke free all the time. No smoking while drinking, or abroad or anything that'll make you relapse. Be honest with your self, so you'll be able to notice whenever your addiction is making excuses for you smoking. Then focus on staying smoke free one day at a time. When you feel like smoking, don't. At least until tomorrow. Quitting for life can seem impossible. Not smoking for a day is doable, and it'll get easier as time passes. If you mess up, don't take this as a sign that you'll never be able to quit. You don't have to go back to two packs a day, you just have to not smoke anymore cigarettes today. Yesterday don't matter, tomorrow don't matter. Just don't smoke today.

Change your habits. Remember; they're your habits. You can do whatever you like with them. When you feel like having a smoke, chew some gum, pop a breath mint or drink a glass of water. Focus on hobbies, maybe take a walk. After a while you'll feel better, smell better and save a fuckton of money.

I'll admit that I still smoke cigarettes, but this is how I kicked a serious drug- and alcohol addiction, so I believe it can work for smoking as well. After all, addiction is addiction. I've been clean for almost a year now. Just by doing one day at a time. Those days add up pretty fast.

Hawk456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hawk456

Don't fear the smoke... just man-up and quit.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By intro

Cold turkey. I smoked for like 2 months straight, many people said it was enough to get hooked. I quit right after that and never craved smoking. Personally, I think it's all in your head; if you really want to quit, you will.

My mom smoked 15 years, had at least 2 everyday. She quit without any help.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RazielCuts

Get a money jar and everyday put in the money you'd spend on cigarettes. Then after a week/a month count it all up and you'll be amazed how much you've saved, probably get yourself a few games as well.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By intro

@RazielCuts said:

Get a money jar and everyday put in the money you'd spend on cigarettes. Then after a week/a month count it all up and you'll be amazed how much you've saved, probably get yourself a few games as well.

With the price of those things now you could probably buy a new car in a few months lol :p

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By breadfan
@Firecreed17 said:

One bit of advice though is don't drink while trying to quit because having a drink makes the urge that much stronger.

This. I've been trying to quit smoking myself and this is sound advice. While sober you can usually fend off the cravings, but once you get a few drinks in you, you become less self-vigilant.  Plus, if you associated smoking and drinking together then it becomes a habit unto itself.

Also, whenever I get a craving I get this anxious, gnawing sensation in my head, but I've been using that as a guide of some sorts. Whenever my body is telling me to smoke, I don't. It sounds difficult to do, but use the nicotine withdrawal as a sign of progress.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Shadow

Don't buy cigarettes in the first place. It becomes far, far more tempting to smoke when you know you already paid money for them.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By audiosnow

I realize that these tips have been posted already, but I figured any encouragement helps.

I've heard that drinking a lot of water and collecting the cigarette money in a jar really help.

If you have a smoking-break time or something of that nature, bring a DS or an iPhone with Angry Birds.

Also, my successful abandonment of personal bad habits have always started with a focused analysis of why I want to quit, repeated to the point of frustration.

Basically, get angry at your habit.

Best of luck!

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rahf

Allen Carr has a decent book on the subject. It's called "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking". Has some great insight and tips on how to quit without worrying about abstinence and the like. You can pick up a paperback in any bookstore or online for about 12$.

WaylonJennings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By WaylonJennings

Step 1: Warn your friends and family that for the next few weeks you are going to be one angry motherfucker.

Step 2: Buy 100 dollars worth of suckers, Gum, Mints Etc.

Step 3: After a year of quitting still fucking crave it every god damn day, it's very tough but it can be done... quitting that is.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai

Do what I did. Just throw the ciggs away and be done with it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

Strap yourself into a gurney for a week, and bark at the moon until you're cured. There. Wasn't so hard, was it?

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WickedFather

The "Easing off slowly" method is proven to be the fucking worst method ever and ends up with the majority of smokers on more per day do to a brain response that's the same as the starvation method for food. After two weeks it knows you're getting less nicotine and sends out a "FEED ME!!!" signal that you're more likely to feed if you're still drip feeding your smokes.

If you're going to stop then just stop. Loads of smokers are just habitual rather than addicted to nicotine. Behavioural rather than physical. If you're in that group you can give up no bother if you're remotely motivated.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

cold turkey is the only way. 

i heard the bluetip fake cigarettes work.

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Juicebox

Smoke Weed.

Jk.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By plaintomato

Vape.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gravitypress

Use the patch or get a Hookah.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hwy_61

I read a book titled, The Easy Way To Stop Smoking, by Alan Carr. I smoked while reading the book, and by the end of it, the craving was just gone. It's been two years since I've lit up. You could probrably find it at your library. That's where I found the copy I read.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BoFooQ

I quit a few months ago and its been going great. If you're at 2 packs a day would suggest you start by cutting back as much as possible. You should set rules for yourself on where you can smoke, i.e only smoke outside, never smoke in your house. You also have to get rid of all your ashtrays, trust me if you have to get up and walk outside to have a smoke you'll find yourself going less often or rushing back to whatever you were doing. other easy tips are candy, I suggest jolly ranchers or suckers. you should get lots of them, find what you like and never run out. after 3 months I don;'t eat that much candy anymore, except gum. one of the things I found hardest was work. If you're like me than you smoke at work so you usually take breaks. Keep taking the breaks just don't smoke.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about it but maybe surround yourself with anti-smoking propaganda.

Some of it is totally exaggerated crap but let me assure you that lung cancer is a real concern. It's truly terrible and since you've smoked for years, your risk is much higher.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Pro tip: Don't smoke.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hunkulese

Man up and just stop smoking. It sucks but judging from your avatar you're hardcore enough to be able to handle it.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fini_fly

I smoked for 5 years and I had tried to quit a bunch of times, each one failing. The only way I found worked was cold turkey. The first few days are murder, but I have read that orange juice helps. Really it all comes down to willpower. 

I'm not sure about everyone else, but I gained a lot of weight when I quit smoking. Thankfully I have since dropped the extra weight!

BSw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BSw

Tell friends and family you've quit smoking. You don't want to let those people down (or let them think you're not man enough to stick to your decisions), so it'll create a pretty powerful psychological barrier to start again.

Next to that: Quit cold turkey and just don't think about it anymore. Your body will start to crave, but that feeling'll become less and less over time. There are reasons that you want to quit smoking, stick to those reasons and really rationalize them if you start craving. But mostly: just don't think about it. Focus on the awesome things in life.

samface6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By samface6

Surround yourself with friends and family who are supportive of you quitting.

Also, set a date a couple of weeks in advance, and write down a list of all the reasons you want to quit.

I managed to quit 2 years ago thanks to a bit of luck and commitment.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deadmanforking

Replace smoking with something eles.

When my Dad stopped, be couldn't use any of the gum or patches, due to allergic reactions. So he had no other help, what he did was when he wanted to smoke he would eat something sweet. So he started eating alot of cakes, which led to him exercising alot also. After 27 years of smoking he quit pretty much cold turkey, and has been off them for 4 years now.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By swoxx

Snus will get rid of the lung problems and risks, but it won't get rid of the nicotine.

The crazy thing is that pharmacies here in Sweden actually advertise snus to quit smoking.

I've never smoked so I don't really know, but cold turkey would be my way to go. If you can't, snus is less hazardous to your health (At least that's what research shows).

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MideonNViscera

Only thing that ever worked for me was the patch, but most people say it sucks.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Vodun

I have no experience with nicotine, but I have quit other things. I feel it's all basically the same recipe of you removing yourself from the possibility to break your "fast". Let everyone in your surrounding know that you're quitting and that they're not to give you any smokes, and make damn sure you have none of your own in your home. When you get the craving it's easier to beat it if you have to take a long walk to the store to satiate it, rather than just reach out to the table next to you.

It might sound extreme, but depending on how bad off you are you may want to have a "supervisor" with you when you go shopping just to make sure you don't break and buy a pack.

You're breaking a very well established behavioral pattern and quite likely a substance addiction. It's a bitch.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ravenlight
Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By Undeadpool

Find something to do with your hands (knitting is actually a ridiculously easy skill to pick up AND you'll never be out of socks again!) and change your other habits, like when you eat or what you do on work breaks. Oh yeah, and buy regular gum. And don't take advice from people who've never started, but try not to punch them in the jaw for giving completely unwarranted advice.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deathstriker666

Judging by your grammar, I wouldn't think you'd be old enough to smoke

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mike76x

@xdaknightx69: I used nicotine gum.

This was back before they offered flavors and it tasted like burning garbage.

The most important thing is the desire to quit. Even if you mess up, never think of it as having to start over because you're still going in the right direction.

SanjK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SanjK

I suggest not thinking of it as such a finite thing, at first. The hardest part is beating yourself up for slipping, it just stresses you out and makes you want to smoke more. Slow it down, alternate every smoke you want, try not to fill the gap with heavy foods. For the oral fixation, try hard candies, regular gum, toothpicks, get a tongue ring, your options are endless really. For your hands, shuffling cards (weird, but I find it soothing), a clicky pen (might be annoying to some but who cares, it's for the greater good of you), knitting (as Undeadpool mentioned, it really is easy but if you're the type to get frustrated fast I suggest something you already know). If you smoke at home, try eliminating the rooms you smoke in, one by one, until you have to go outside. Work out! I can't stress that enough, if you start to feel good about yourself physically some part of you will want more of that and less of the destructive stuff. And remember it's hard. Also, never make it your new year's resolution, I found that it was too much pressure and I just ended up smoking more before the end, making it harder to quit when the day arose.

Well, everyone is different so try a few things and see what works better for you.