• 184 results
HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Started the "The Malazan Book of the Fallen" by Steven Erikson and "Gormenghast" by Mervyn Peake series. Currently I am close to finish the first book of each series, so far I prefer "The Malazan Book of the Fallen".

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By buft

Just finished "Fulgrim" book six of the Horus Heresy, the series started off strong but the last few books haven't really furthered the narrative much so i decided to move onto reading the Malazan book of the dead series, just started book one in fact, im on chapter 7 and it seems pretty good.

Tobli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#103  Edited By Tobli

For two nights only by Tom Holt.

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By smokeyd123

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson and "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. They're both quite good so far, albeit for different reasons.

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By DrIntrovert

@PulledaBrad: Here be spoilers for Cold Days, the most recent book of the Dresden Files.

While the book contains plot elements from other books in the series, we learn so much about the way the world works--Demonreach is a prison for supernatural villains made by Merlin, the outsiders have been corrupting key players in the world for years, Mab's-daughter-I-can't-spell has been lying since almost the beginning of the series, Mab was human once, Molly's the new winter lady and Harry was unconsciously manipulating her during her training, and those are just the plot ideas that come to mind off the top of my head. Edit: Oh, and I forgot that Harry's "parasite" will kill him if he leaves the island. Weird thing to forget, really.

Sorry I can't figure out the fancy spoiler blocks you people use.

@DarthOrange said:

I haven't read a book for fun in years. Just finished up Law in America recently.

If you want something fun that still pertains to law, may I recommend The Law of Superheroes? It's really funny, and informative, at least from a layman's perspective.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By gamefreak9

Stock and Watson Econometrics textbook, for the 100th time. exams coming up :(.

dietomaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107  Edited By dietomaha

@Artof_War said:

@Dietomaha said:

I just finished up the Wind Through the Keyhole. Now I'm trying to read House of Leaves again. Such an interesting book, written in such a wildly obtuse way.

I also listen to the Harry Potter audiobooks about once a year, I'm about finished up with those again. The English version of course, Stephen Fry does the voices so goddamn well. These really are fantastic books.

I've had House of Leaves on my to-read for a long time. A friend of mine had to stop (at least indefinitely), which didn't help me overcome my pessimism. Not sure if I could read a book in front of the bathroom mirror! What made you stop? And would it be worth it if you could overcome the style?

It's hard to point to any one thing, it's just a bit of an endeavor to read through. Maybe the main thing would be how it jumps from narrative to full blown foot note story written by the guy 'editing' the book and back again every few pages. Plus of course the book itself is part of it, since some pages are upside down, spiraled, parts missing, etc.

I'm doing better this time around. I've already gotten past where I stopped last time. Maybe because I know what to expect this time I'm powering through it.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By daiphyer

"Break Into Screenwriting" by Ray Frensham.

pleasedaddyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By pleasedaddyno

@skrutop said:

I just finished John Dies at the End by David Wong. It was funny, but not what I expected at all. It reads more like a horror novel with funny bits. Overall, I liked it, and I'll probably pick up the followup, This Book Is Full of Spiders at some point.

I picked up Anathem by Neal Stephenson, but I haven't started it yet.

will you be seeing the movie? Paul Giamatti! i read This Book Is Full of Spiders before i read John Dies at the End...were you expecting a straight (?) horror?

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Sploder

Just finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. It was great but it felt like a lot of the book was setting up big plot points for his next trilogy. Which is exciting stuff but y'know, c'mon man.

Philedius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Philedius

The Hobbit for, I guess like, the 6th or 7th time. I don't read a whole lot because I get impatient when reading and lack the concentration required, but I always seem to be able to read The Hobbit with ease.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Rokkaku

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. I'm a big Murakami fan, and this one's more of the most excellent same from him that I have come to expect and love.

JNSK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By JNSK

A Dance With Dragons (George R.R. Martin).

After the second season of GoT I just couldn't wait to see what happens, so I started AGOT a few days later. Highly recommended even if you've seen the show because of all the details that are left out in the show as well as the insight you get from reading the POV character's thoughts (and more.)

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Terramagi

@JamesShell said:

A Dance With Dragons (George R.R. Martin).

After the second season of GoT I just couldn't wait to see what happens, so I started AGOT a few days later. Highly recommended even if you've seen the show because of all the details that are left out in the show as well as the insight you get from reading the POV character's thoughts (and more.)

You chose wisely.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Christoffer

I'm reading World War Z: An oral history of the zombie war

I would go as far as to say it's an ok book. Quite an interesting take on the zombie genre since it's faux-documentary about a past "zombie" crisis told through interviews with some people who survived it. For this reason, it jumps around a bit too much for my taste. But I'm only half way through so this might change. If nothing else, it's pretty damn believable.

Noli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Noli

Not too long ago I've read Prince of the Mist - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, couple days ago I finished Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth and Reaper Man which were really fantastic. Today I started Interesting Times Sir Pratchett. I'm still waiting for English version of Prisoner of Heaven C.R Zafon, which is really hard to get where I live.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By SharkEthic

Just finished All Quiet on the Western Front...pretty brutal and depressing, but a very good read over all. About to crack open Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk which I'm told is pretty insane.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Roger_Klotz

Just started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm about a quarter the way through A Clash of Kings.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky, and The Sun Also Rises by Fitzgerald (obvs.). I love the former and the latter is growing on me but eh.

I'm confused. Is this an inside joke for Hemingway dislikers or something?

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By fetchfox
ashcrack1087

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By ashcrack1087

Crossroads of Twilight

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Sploder

Erikson's Memories of Ice

Only thirty pages in but shit is already cray

Motherfuckers locked an incinerated continent inside a magic portal then locked that in a sword

A CONTINENT

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Dacnomaniac

A Game of Thrones - off and on. It's by George.R.R.Martin if you didn't already know. :)

TheOther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By TheOther

Reading David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas... Got blown away by the movie trailer so figured I'd give the book a read.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Jrinswand

I'm rereading the Song of Ice and Fire series (which I read for the first time in like 2006/2007), so A Clash of Kings.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Meltac

Got 70 pages into The Road, but it just didn't grab me, so now I'm contemplating whether to start reading 1984 or Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By forkboy

@Meltac said:

Got 70 pages into The Road, but it just didn't grab me, so now I'm contemplating whether to start reading 1984 or Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?.

Can I recommend the latter? Because if I can then I do. It's a great gateway book into the crazy world of Philip K Dick. There's a lot of fun to be had in there.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Meltac

@forkboy: 'Course you can, and I think that I'm just going to dive into that one then, since it's going to be my first step into Mr. Dicks universe.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By HerbieBug

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge

Just started so haven't any impression yet. This book did win the Hugo on the year of its release so expect good things.

Artof_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Artof_War

@Meltac said:

Completely agree with this. I tried reading it twice, and never made it past 50 pages. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic etc., but oh well. I've heard the movie is pretty good though. I think it's the way the dialogue flows that slows me down.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm reading 2666 currently. 200+ pages in, I'm still not sure how I feel. It didn't immediately grab me but there's enough of a subtle hook for be to keep going to see what all the fuss is about.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Meltac

@Artof_War said:

I think it's the way the dialogue flows that slows me down.

That was definitely one of the problems I had with it. That and I just found it plain boring, which bugs me a little, because I really liked the movie.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#133  Edited By skrutop

@pleasedaddyno: I'll probably catch the movie when it comes out on Netflix or something. I'm not sure that a lot of the humor will translate to film, sort of like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I expected more humor, less horror.

iainfarrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#134  Edited By iainfarrell

I'm reading Don Quixote :) love it, left it far too long.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By NiKva

The first Jason Bourne book.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By MarkWahlberg

@Artof_War said:

@Meltac said:

Completely agree with this. I tried reading it twice, and never made it past 50 pages. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic etc., but oh well. I've heard the movie is pretty good though. I think it's the way the dialogue flows that slows me down.

Yeah, never seen the movie but I I actually finished the book and didn't much care for it. I think my problem with it is the same criticism people had of stuff like The American or Drive, where they take a well-worn story type and try to do a fancy 'artistic' version of it, but don't actually create anything substantial. I've never read any other Cormac McCarthy books, but it just seemed like he was trying way too hard but didn't have anything worthwhile to say.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I brought the Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide into the can with me earlier today. I forgot how goddamn funny that is, and what a wonderful little addendum to the episodes it provides.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Meltac

@MarkWahlberg said:

I've never read any other Cormac McCarthy books, but it just seemed like he was trying way too hard but didn't have anything worthwhile to say.

It really, really did, but I am still sort of interested in reading Blood Meridian by him.

Just finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? earlier, and I think that I will dive into Jack Kerouac's On The Road now.

CrazyRah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#139  Edited By CrazyRah

Genghis: Birth of an Empire

Got it as a christmas gift and so far it's been a really enjoyable read

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#140  Edited By Cybexx

Most of the way through Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon, its about cryptology as seen through multiple alternating perspectives and two different time periods, World War II and Modern Day (well modern as of its 1999 publishing anyways).

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#141  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I recently read through Dracula (first time) and A Good Man is Hard to Find.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Meltac said:

@MarkWahlberg said:

I've never read any other Cormac McCarthy books, but it just seemed like he was trying way too hard but didn't have anything worthwhile to say.

It really, really did

You got 70 pages in and determined the author had nothing to say.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Meltac

@HaltIamReptar: My comment there was more directed at this part of the quote ,but it just seemed like he was trying way too hard'. Sure, McCarthy had something to say, it was just his way of saying it which I found somewhat boring and it didn't really do anything for me. I will probably try to go back to it in a year or two, but as of now I just had too many books on my shelve that I would rather read.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@Meltac said:

@HaltIamReptar: My comment there was more directed at this part of the quote ,but it just seemed like he was trying way too hard'. Sure, McCarthy had something to say, it was just his way of saying it which I found somewhat boring and it didn't really do anything for me. I will probably try to go back to it in a year or two, but as of now I just had too many books on my shelve that I would rather read.

That makes a lot of sense. His writing is very obtuse.

hol5ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By hol5ter

Starship Troopers.

benjo_t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#146  Edited By benjo_t
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Oliver Sacks - The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat (and other clinical tales)

A collection of stories told by Oliver Sacks, recounting various encounters with his incredibly interesting patients. A really well written, personal collection of essays by an immediately likable author. He has a wonderful and engaging talk on TED which was what inspired me to get this book.

Christopher Hitchens - Mortality

A sobering collection of essays written by Christopher Hitchens before his sad death at the hands of cancer in 2011. Good humored, though twinged with gut-wrenching sadness, and insightful.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#147  Edited By Hunter5024

I'm on Wheel of Time book 8, The Path of Daggers. I was trying to put a bow on the series when the last one came out but I got really distracted the past two months.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#148  Edited By phrosnite

I'm not reading anything at the moment because I'm waiting for "Path of the Seer" and "Path of the Outcast" by Gav Thorpe to arrive.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By CaLe

Some genuinely funny and emotional moments in this. The writing style also goes places I haven't seen before, from poetic to completely frenetic, but still manages to maintain consistency and feel cohesive throughout.

No Caption Provided
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By NiKva

Still reading The Bourne Identity.

I only read when I use the bathroom, so its taking me awhile :P