What Does a Star Wars Episode VII Do To Existing Canon?

• 106 results
fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By fobwashed

I haven't read all but I've read enough Star Wars books that take place after the original trilogy to know that there's a whole lot of stuff that's already happened and has been accepted as canon in the universe. Does a new movie mean that all those books will become fan fiction or will they be working the new movie into what already exists?

Someone hold me. . .

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

It'll be Episode VII: All Ewoks, All the Time.  

Seriously though, we'll just have to wait and see. For all we know, it could be thousands of years in the future.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Lucas already dismissed the EU as non-canon before, anyway.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones

It's actually all the movies backwards in one film.

Also all the characters are replaced by puppies

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By doobie

it highlights the fact that star wars is fiction and any-the fucking-thing can happen

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6  Edited By JasonR86

Extends it?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fobwashed

@TooWalrus said:

It'll be Episode VII: All Ewoks, All the Time. Seriously though, we'll just have to wait and see. For all we know, it could be thousands of years in the future.

That'd be somewhat acceptable I suppose. The 1000s of years, not the ewoks. Though it feels like the first 6 episodes all took place with relatively similar-ish time jumps between them.

@Dallas_Raines said:

Really? That's pretty nuts. All the books I've read so far all seem to acknowledge the existence of each other's storylines. I guess something new is better than something old. Thanks for clearing that up for me. . . as depressing as it is.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Yeah, I imagine the EU will be ripped to shreds and that there is a very stressed publishing company desperately trying to call someone at Disney to "do lunch" and/or "touch base"

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmilingPig

Disney bought all Lucas studios for 4.05 billions and announced star wars 7 for 2015... or is my local news making shit up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Even though lots of EU stuff puts Lucas' braindead drivel to shame, it is still essentially treated as fanfiction even though it's written by respected authors who've done tons of research and published and approved through the proper channels.

Lucas reserves the right to shit on years of quality for him to make drivel insulting to all taste and intelligence so he can make more toys.

You're never gonna see a Zahn trilogy of movies exist to give Star Wars any sort of credibility as anything else than a CG factory to push toys as long as Lucas draws breath.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SamStrife

They just take the already awesome book stories and make them into films? Seems almost too easy really.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By toowalrus
@Fobwashed: What, no they didn't, The first three are, what, like 10 years apart, and the last three are back-to-back.  

Maybe it's not "a long time ago in a galaxy far far away" anymore, and midi-chlorians have infected a middle school in New England somewhere, and one special boy who's down on his luck discovers that he is the chosen one and has to save the music department from budget cuts.
flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By flindip

I think the wrong way to approach a new film is to put a numerical linking on it.

Just Star Wars: sub title is good enough.

You can have the traditional scroll and all that stuff, just no numbers added to it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Fobwashed said:

Really? That's pretty nuts. All the books I've read so far all seem to acknowledge the existence of each other's storylines. I guess something new is better than something old. Thanks for clearing that up for me. . . as depressing as it is.

A lot of the EU completely contradicts itself, mainly because every author wants to make their character the most "badass Jedi who ever lived" and they all have to be shoe-horned into the events of the movies somehow. I think about 20 different people were responsible for stealing the Death Star plans and handing them over to the rebels, for example.

The producers of the Clone Wars series have tried pretty hard to maintain some of the continuity from the books, such as Asajj Ventress' past, so whoever's in charge of the new movies might be a big enough fan to try and work some of that in.. but strictly speaking, if it's not in the movies or the Clone Wars, it's not canon.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

I think not going by what happens in the books would be lame cause some of them are real damn good. Just do the Hand of Thrawn trilogy, there's your movies. I'm not getting my hopes up until I hear positive news but the fact that its not more prequel stuff alone has be slightly excited. So tired of that.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By wrecks

All Yoda All the Time.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Phatmac

Press release says that the Extended Universe is no more for the new movies.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By musubi

I want hot Ewok sex scenes.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By toowalrus
@Demoskinos said:

I want hot Ewok sex scenes.

For the love of science, be careful what you wish for.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By TheHBK

Fixes it. Seriously, all that shit in the books feels so damn rehashed. Does every fucking skywalker a generation have to become a Sith Lord? Lucas has clearly stated that the 6 movies are about Vader and Luke. But to have all that branching stuff about the Solo twins and the stories that take place later on with the hippie Cade Skywalker are trash.

Look, all I am saying is that it is clear what this movie needs to be about. It has to be about Han Solo riding around the galaxy in the Falcon picking up bitches.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Genkkaku

I bet they are going to work long and hard before they even go into Pre-Production, as to not Irk the fans

@Sackmanjones said:

It's actually all the movies backwards in one film. Also all the characters are replaced by puppies

I totally read that as 'It will be backwards compatible with the films'..

Also Rorie will be psyched at the Star Puppies!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funkydupe

Isn't that what Star Wars 1313 is trying to do? Star Wars but with no wizardry?

Also:

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#23  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Better to just consider whatever you like to be your own personal canon. Doesn't really matter what they consider to be factual since it is all just a made up story after all.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Chewie never died, fuck RA Salvatore... is something I would have cared about 10 years ago

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I think the real question we should be asking ourselves is how goddamn crazy the next Kingdom Hearts game is gonna be. Or not.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fobwashed

@TheHBK said:

Fixes it. Seriously, all that shit in the books feels so damn rehashed. Does every fucking skywalker a generation have to become a Sith Lord? Lucas has clearly stated that the 6 movies are about Vader and Luke. But to have all that branching stuff about the Solo twins and the stories that take place later on with the hippie Cade Skywalker are trash.

Look, all I am saying is that it is clear what this movie needs to be about. It has to be about Han Solo riding around the galaxy in the Falcon picking up bitches.

If they turn the new movies into a paper thin clone of Firefly, I'm in.

@EvilNiGHTS said:

I think the real question we should be asking ourselves is how goddamn crazy the next Kingdom Hearts game is gonna be. Or not.

I tried my best to play Dream Drop Distance but I feel like that series has gotten to a point where if you haven't played the previous games, the story is going to be a low impact bag of nonsense. I'd rather they rebooted that franchise so that players new to the series can fully enjoy them -_-;;

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By UncleDisco
Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Jazzycola

@TheHBK said:

Yeah. I bought the first book of the Jedi Academy trilogy and tried to read it. It was horrible, convoluted, and up it's own ass with references. I like star wars, but I don't like star wars enough to sit through that mess. I got to the point that they started talking about how the Emperor was revived and I was like yeah, no thank you.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rebel_Scum

What Does a Star Wars Episode VII Do To Existing Canon?

Shit all over everything! ha ha

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By donchipotle

The Adventures of Jar Jar Binks and Wicket Through Time

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ravenlight

@Sackmanjones said:

It's actually all the movies backwards in one film. Also all the characters are replaced by puppies

Oh god, yes. I said I wouldn't play ball and pay money to see a new Star Wars movie, but I'd take that right the heck back if that made this movie.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shortbreadtom

It's basically Pulp Fiction but with Han and Chewie. Oh, and the gimp is C3P0. Made of black metal. And the only word that Chewbacca can say is "motherfucker".

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Akyho

@Dallas_Raines said:

You say that. However he did throw his wait around to destroy a number of it on purpose. Right to shorten it, Boba Fett is a Manadalorian. Manadalorians are a warrior culture not a race. They have a planet called Mandalore as we know from KOTOR games.

Well Karen Traviss who wrote Gears of war books and the GOW3 was writing a bunch of stuff about Boba Fett, Mandalorians and with the great books Republic commandos. About the Clones being a slave army realy. So alot has to do with Manadalorians. Mandalore is a wide expansive green and blue planet with little int he way of civilisation as Mandalorians dont sit for very long before leaving.

So thats that....George Lucas has said the EU universe is its own thing, he focus on TV and movies. What he does is Retconn ALL that. So that is now fits with his Clone wars CGI serise when they show the episode of the Mandalorians on Mandalore, Were they are a peace loving RACE, and they became peaceful since the nuked their planet and turned it into an inhospitable desert.

He then forces the books to comply aswell. Karen Traviss was on her last book of the Commando serise with the second Imperial Commandos book (The clones after order 66) however Lucas says It must come in like with the Cartoon.

Which is impossible when Mandalorians have already been written one way...and then they are changed. And more so it wasnt Karen Traviss that laid the base for Mandalorians it was a wealth of other writers adding over time. While she decided to expand it and Lucas decided to destroy.

Making reconning absolutely impossible, the book was impossible to wright. and thusly ruining EU for me and Star Wars.

So I welcome change.....I am not bitter.....FUCKING LUCAS!!! FUCK OFF!!! YOU EVEN GO BACK ON WHAT YOU SAID IN 82!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I said this in the other thread but whatever.

Expanded canon kind of leaves off around 43 ABY (43 years after the first movie). It's now 36 years after that movie. There was mention a long long time ago about a 7-9 trilogy taking place a long time after 4-6, where Luke is training a padawan in the spiritual side of the Force, acting as the Obi-Wan character, and that the padawan had somehow survived the Clone Wars. Then that Clone Wars cartoon starts and they have this padawan Ahsoka Tano who is Anakin Skywalker's student; do you think that show will end with her being cut in half? Or would they end up frozen in carbonite, rediscovered 40 years later, and trained by an older Luke Skywalker? Played by Mark Hamill aged 40 years?

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fobwashed

@Brodehouse said:

I said this in the other thread but whatever. Expanded canon kind of leaves off around 43 ABY (43 years after the first movie). It's now 36 years after that movie. There was mention a long long time ago about a 7-9 trilogy taking place a long time after 4-6, where Luke is training a padawan in the spiritual side of the Force, acting as the Obi-Wan character, and that the padawan had somehow survived the Clone Wars. Then that Clone Wars cartoon starts and they have this padawan Ahsoka Tano who is Anakin Skywalker's student; do you think that show will end with her being cut in half? Or would they end up frozen in carbonite, rediscovered 40 years later, and trained by an older Luke Skywalker? Played by Mark Hamill aged 40 years?

I am in favor of bringing back Mark Hamill. Hell, everyone. That'd be freaking brilliant to have them reprise their roles as aged versions of their former selves. . . A new dream is born.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Akyho

@TheHBK said:

I was right in the middle of reading a book of Luke and Mara Jade meeting up with Chiss to find the old Jedi ship. I was half way through when all peril they put Luke or Mara is pointless and thus forth the book is. As I had been reading Star wars books that had none movie characters in it and they could die any time or people around. Luke I know what happens I had read the 40 years ABY.

So I have gave up on reading any book focused on a movie character. And yet Karen Traviss gets eveicerated over Mara Jade..

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Terramagi

It means that the EU is now, theoretically, unshackled from the "no post-RotJ material" mandate.

In other words, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I've lost most of my affinity for the star wars universe, but this part of the BBC article is just fucking depressing as hell:

In a statement announcing the purchase, Disney said it planned to release a new Star Wars film, episode seven, in 2015.
That will be followed by episodes eight and nine and then one new movie every two or three years, the company said.
rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By rpgee

I realise now that I only have affinity for a very limited set of Star Wars stuff: the original trilogy, the KOTOR games, and the Republic Commando game because it was awesome. So really I shouldn't be as disappointed in this whole affair as I am.

Damn it all.

Masin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Masin

SHIT ALL OVER IT. Star Wars is going to turn into Star Trek with a zillion different episodes that scream, TAKE MY MONEY!

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Fuck the EU. Or not, I don't care. But it's about goddamn time something happened with the franchise.

Hell, if they have any sense they use the Old Republic (not the game, the era)for their next films.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BoG
No Caption Provided

This is all I can really come up with.

ChuckDeNomolos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ChuckDeNomolos

Honestly, this is the best thing for Star Wars. The EU is trash, so ditch it, and putting it in Disney's hands is great because I don't think they're going to make a "mature" Star Wars. I want to see a new trilogy with new blood at the helm making another great movie that appeals to kids, but adults can sit through and enjoy. Anyone bitching about this is a man-child, while there's far more terrible things in our entertainment industry. Shit, they made a direct-to-DVD sequel A Christmas Story, and I don't see anyone up in arms about that classic.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By connerthekewlkid
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dagbiker

He is given way too much credit for creating Star Wars then he actually deserves. He mostly just bought the rights.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MikkaQ

All I gotta say is that anyone who accepts the star wars books as canon is totally nuts.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MikkaQ
Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@MikkaQ: why of all things is that non cannon? :{

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Patman99

@TheHBK said:

I kind of agree. The Expanded Universe stuff tries a little too hard to make every generation more significant or interesting than the next. However, I want the new movies to follow, at least in broad strokes, the lore that has already been established. If they do something extremely different than what is already out there in terms of story line then I think it will render much of the EU pointless. I mean that is the cool thing about Star Wars. The saga expands so much beyond the movies.