What language should I learn: French or Spanish?

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sungahymn

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Sooty

if you have to ask the Internet to decide this don't bother with either, without real reasons you won't stick to any language learning.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BrockNRolla

If you live in North America (Or south for that matter), the right answer is Spanish.

That being said, I'm from the US and trying to learn a little French on the side right now, so I'll say French.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pezen

Depends who you want to impress and if you are planning to visit France anytime in your lifetime.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By slax

Where do you live? If the answer is Mexico, I'd suggest Spanish.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sungahymn

Next semester, I going to have to learn a secondary language if I'm going to college. My home-school institution only provides material (I think) for only a few languages: Spanish, French, German, Latin, and one more that escapes my memory. My mom and I discussed and ultimately it was either Spanish or French. My mom encourages French because she knows a little of it herself, which she can't say for Spanish. The problem is, my older brother says if I'm going in an university in America, I should learn Spanish. My argument is that I have more affinity for French than Spanish, and since I'm planning to go to college in the East Coast (where French is supposedly more common), I should learn French. My brother can be really stubborn and constantly tries to convince me to learn Spanish whenever the topic comes up. My dad is pretty indifferent and says either French or Spanish is fine.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I should have been faster at posting this. I messed this up, didn't I?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Slax said:

Where do you live? If the answer is Mexico, I'd suggest Spanish.

What an oddly incredibly specific answer.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By uniform

Learn Spanish. Teach your mother.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrockNRolla

There are only a few areas of the US were Spanish is very important (Texas, New Mexico, southern California). As someone who has lived in multiple areas of the country throughout my life, I've never felt a need to know Spanish, but I can easily say that there have been plenty of opportunities for me to use it had I known the language.

What would you enjoy more though? If you have an affinity for French, does it mean you like speaking it? If that's the case, you're probably better off running with it. Languages are never easy and they are hell to learn if you don't enjoy them on some level.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I live in Texas, so I hear Spanish and everything associated with it all the time, so I took three years of French in high school because fuck Spanish. I liked the language.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Well, I've been all up and down the west coast and Spanish is spoken everywhere From Seattle to San Diego. However, unless you plan on going into the shady low income immigrant areas of the cities, You really wont be around that many Spanish speakers. Also not a single fucker goes around speaking French in the USA. I don't care what coast your on. I vote Spanish as it would have more use.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MikkaQ

French will get you laid a lot more than Spanish. Just putting that out there, something to consider.

Of course as a Frenchman, I'm a LITTLE biased. Just a tad. I also think it sounds nicer. I love rapid-paced arguments in French, they're so rhythmic.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By yoshimitz707

@BrockNRolla said:

If you live in North America (Or south for that matter), the right answer is Spanish.

That being said, I'm from the US and trying to learn a little French on the side right now, so I'll say French.

But what if he lives in Canada? That's part of North America and the answer is French for that region.

CactusJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By CactusJack

Learn Spanish. Much more useful than French in America. Unless you plan on doing business in Quebec, in which case they force you to speak French because they are assholes.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrockNRolla

@yoshimitz707 said:

@BrockNRolla said:

But what if he lives in Canada? That's part of North America and the answer is French for that region.

That's a reasonable argument. Nevertheless, I think Spanish is going to be important in both areas. If you find yourself crisscrossing Canada, then French will be just as useful.

blindisaac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By blindisaac

@sungahymn said:

Next semester, I going to have to learn a secondary language if I'm going to college. My home-school institution only provides material (I think) for only a few languages: Spanish, French, German, Latin, and one more that escapes my memory. My mom and I discussed and ultimately it was either Spanish or French. My mom encourages French because she knows a little of it herself, which she can't say for Spanish. The problem is, my older brother says if I'm going in an university in America, I should learn Spanish. My argument is that I have more affinity for French than Spanish, and since I'm planning to go to college in the East Coast (where French is supposedly more common), I should learn French. My brother can be really stubborn and constantly tries to convince me to learn Spanish whenever the topic comes up. My dad is pretty indifferent and says either French or Spanish is fine.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I should have been faster at posting this. I messed this up, didn't I?

EDIT 2: Can a mod move me up or something?

I live on the east coast in the States and Spanish is way more prevalent than most other languages. You are thinking of eastern Canada where Quebec. That is where French is very common in North America.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Elazul

Spanish is way more useful, dude.

Remember, kids: "El perro chingada su madre".

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By DarthOrange

@sungahymn said:

My mom and I discussed and ultimately it was either Spanish or French.

Haha that's always funny.

Dude Spanish is useful all around the US. What part of the east coast do you want to study in? New York has one of the densest populations of Puerto Ricans and Dominicans in the world. Spanish is totally more popular than French among the majority there.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sungahymn

@DarthOrange: Rhode Island. I like cold places, where the bugs are dead. At least, I assume it's cold.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know French so I'mma' say French

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Some say that French is still the language of big business in certain places of the world. I'd go with that. Though with the Phillipines growing economy then maybe you'd want Spanish...

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spanish would be the wiser choice, I think, though Japanese or Chinese would be best.

But French is more beautiful, in my opinion.

krzysztofkrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on what country you are going to live in - actually its no reason to learn a language just for travelling or occasional use - english is enough. But if you plan to move to another country - then learn their language.

zFUBARz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zFUBARz

French is pretty easy to pick up, but then They teach it to you for like 10 years up here, so I never had a choice.

i'd say learn latin, then you can understand all the romance languages fairly competently.

AziMuttyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mandarin

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

It's been a year, guys. I think he's decided.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

what do you want to learn more?