What's the worst aspect of a bad handshake?

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

To quote Jerry Seinfeld:

I really feel as human beings, we need more training in our basic social skills. Conversational distance: don't you hate these people that when they talk to you they talk into your mouth like you're a clown at a drive-through? And hand shakes are the worst. There's absolutely no guidelines for hand shakes. You know these people? Too long, too weak... sometimes they give you the three-quarter handshake - just the fingers. Early release, late release. Sometimes people will dispute your release! You let go, they're hanging on! I have actually said to people, "Hey the handshake is over!" Too many pumps, coming in too high, too sweaty, coming from too far away. Sometimes a guy will give you a strong grip, late release, and pull you in for the too close conversation. To him I say, "That's three strikes you're out."

Loose-grip or weak-grip handshakes are the worst. The so-called 'limp fish' handshakes, as I believe one Alex Navarro termed it. I myself suffer from sweaty hand syndrome, but, don't worry, I always make sure to wipe my right hand when I know that there's an incoming handshake. Although of the above options, I have to say that coming in from too far away really takes the cake. I've been in a handshake situation when I've seen the guy coming in from about twenty feet away, nodding his head, hand outstretched while he's still walking. Okay, so we've got to shake hands. What are you, desperate?

In any case, I guess socially-speaking, sweating is the most reprehensible.
NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NinjaHunter

Just fingers is the worst. I don't like it, it's like the equivalent of whiffing a high five. It's sad, incomplete, and overall worthless.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blair

My Hedge fund will never invest in a company whose president gives a 'just fingers' handshake, guaranteed.

Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Zaph

The awkwardness when you both know it was a bad handshake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

When you make one up on the spot and have no idea what to do making a hugely uncomfortable moment.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Trilogy

The "I just came from the bathroom and my hands are wet. You know its just water on my hands BUT THERE IS ALWAYS THE OFF CHANCE THAT I PEED RIGHT ON MY HANDS LIKE A MADMAN!!! NOW MY PEE IS ON YOUR HANDS BWAHAHAHA" handshake. 

As far as the too limp or too strong. I shake a ladies hand very gently and I try to crush a guys hand if he does the same to me first. Sort of like a test of who's stronger. I have an uncle that will try to break your hand bones in a handshake and he expects you to do the same. It's awkward and awesome all at the same time. The shake is way too long but it's like he's testing your strength and you don't want to let him down so you just go with it.

Just fingers drives me up the fucking wall. Most of the time women go for the just fingers so I guess I'll let it slide there. 

Sweaty palms are a toss up. Are you in a construction site in the middle of a hot ass day? If so then a sweaty hand shake is totally acceptable. Wiping before shaking is probably a good idea in this case but COME ON! BE A MAN! Are you in a restaurant when the  sweaty handshake occurs? If that's the case then it's probably a bit creepy and awkward because then the other person has to awkwardly wipe there hand on their pants as if you didn't see them do it but you totally did. Nobody wants that situation.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Trilogy: Personally, I can understand the too weak handshake. Some guys are just not as strong, or aren't quite as confident. I think if there's one way to express that, it's in a handshake. So I agree with you when you say it's a test of who's stronger. Maybe not in terms of who's stronger, but perhaps who's more confident? And now that you mention it, yes, women tend to go for the just fingers rather than the full palm but too weak. Maybe that's a 'handshakes are for men' thing.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Sweat is just bad.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By Cirdain

Apparently I have a firm hand shake.
But then I should one of granddad's friend's hands and well, I was crushed pretty bad.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee
@Linkyshinks said:
"Sticky palms. "

Nothing compares.
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hot_Karl

I give the worst handshakes, unfortunately. I always have clammy hands (I'm hoping to see a doctor either tomorrow or on Monday to see why it's been so frequent as of late), and I'm never sure how hard I should grasp the person's hand. More likely I'm making sure that I don't say something foolish & that I remember the person's name and am able to greet them accordingly. Those are more important than my actual handshake, but I should still work on that. 

With that said, I hate when I give limp handshakes, and I hate when I get them as well.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Too long gets my vote, but man, there is just something so funny about shaking someone's hand for an awkwardly long time. I think I need to start doing this...

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Pessh

The jizz on the other dude's hand

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Sweaty palms takes the cake.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Scooper

The half-assed handshakes from an unsure man are the worst. I mean, I hate the fuckers who think it's a contest to see who's got the strongest hand but when it's just like someone placing their floppy hand onto your palm and you're forced to make all the movement required it's just like why bother.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By GunnBjorn
@VinceNotVance: 

I got clammy hands as well. 
According my GP it could indicate that the kidneys don't work properly. 
So, i cut my salt intake drastically. 
As of yet, not much improvement.
Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chirag4

Ugh sweaty palms

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Someone who has cough recently trying to shake your hand.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Tennmuerti

Worst for me is when it's too strong. Really no excuse here. I don't give a shit that you have a strong grip, when you feel another persons hand fold in on itself from the pressure so that i can't even close it in a proper grip you are officially labeled as a douchebag until proven otherwise.
 I hate when it's just fingers, how fuckin hard is it to wait for my hand? Do you lack basic motor skills? WTF?!
 Sweaty/wet hands can happen for many reasons beyond the persons control, so I can't really begrudge those. Sure they are a bit uncomfortable but it happens. Like third worst I guess.
Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Garrus

When I was in school.

I got an award mentioned and was beckoned to collect it on stage in a school weekly assembly in the hall. The principal is smiling at me, I stand up from the back row of the hall and she has her hand out for the whole 45 seconds that I'm walking to get to the stage, she shakes hands very hard, yeah crushing hands in a handshake is probably unintentional but still. and about 2 seconds long of shaking my hand.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Garrus: Ah yes, the coming in from too far away. It just adds to how bad the handshake is, doesn't it?

This just furthers my opinion that we should rail against the coming in from too far away. Also, coming in too close. Some people throw it out there when they're less than a foot away from you. It's like a f'ing dagger, especially if dude doesn't clip his fingernails often.
Funger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Funger

Coming in to close is way worst.  A close handshake is always either too low or too high.  This leads to potential hugging or crotch grabs.  If a close handshake is from a woman however...

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Sambambo

There is NOTHING worse than shaking the hand of a guy with a limp hand.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

Just fingers is absolutely the worst, no question.

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Garrus
@ZanzibarBreeze: Yeah that's all true, especially if the guy is just unhealthy in general. Too many times I've shaken hands with people who sneeze into their right hand or cough into it or scratch themself with it then shake my hand.
toast_burner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toast_burner

When the other guy breaks your hand

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overly sweaty hands, followed by a weak handshake.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a weak, limp handshake, to me, is a sign of disrespect. i hate receiving those. if you're going to shake somebody's hand, be firm. you don't have to apply bone breaking pressure.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By CL60
@Pessh said:
" The jizz on the other dude's hand "
Happened to me many times.
Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brunchies

Actually, Handshakes that are to hard and they try to break the bones in your hand are the worst.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kyreo
@Zaph said:
" The awkwardness when you both know it was a bad handshake. "
This.  I actually told the guy we need to try that again....  cuz the shake was that bad.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheHT

late release. i hate standing there starting the conversation while are hands are still holding each other. wierds me out.

crusnchill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By crusnchill
@NinjaHunter said:
" Just fingers is the worst. I don't like it, it's like the equivalent of whiffing a high five. It's sad, incomplete, and overall worthless. "
I once did one becuase I'd miscalculated the distance of the persons hands from my own.

Think I handled it quite well though, I basically just said, "Note to self, never shake a persons hand like that again, even accidentally." He laughed and I faux-punched him on the arm with the back of my fist, to recover some testosterone.

Fortunately the recovery worked and the manly half-second touch to the arm got me my dignity back and helped me gain his respect.
I got a job because I screwed up a hand shake, lol.
How many people can say that? ;-p
dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By dichemstys

Too many pumps.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

I can't imagine an early release handshake, probably because I've never experienced one. What's that, like, one pump, and then it's over?

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By WickedCobra03

I hate the fingers only, and I would say that counts into the "loose handshake" category as well.  I don't know if they got it from their fathers/uncles and other men that they were around as kids, or never developed.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Illmatic

The worst part of a handshake is the come away. You both know the handshake was bad, whether it be too weak, clumsy, or just at an awkward angle so when you both come away from it you give each other those embarrassed knowing looks that tells them "Yeah, we just failed at one of the most basic aspects of social interaction."

Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

Man I don't think I've had a just-the-fingers handshake, sounds scary.

I hate the slow draw, when you're first to extend your hand but they're not really into it? Then when the shake does come it's usually fast and weak, like they're trying to get it over with. Lame