What's your favorite contemporary music decade?

KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By KillyDarko
KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By KillyDarko

If I could only pick one, mine would be the 1970's. What about yours?

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By linkster7

90's or 70's 
But I'm gonna go with 70's

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Man, I'm so conflicted. Can't I say 85-95 instead of having to pick between 80s and 90s, because it's really only the first half of the 90s that I like. 

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By sameeeeam

The 90's were pretty good.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

Not too long ago I would've said the 70s, but my mindset now is always looking toward the future. 

I am always looking for the music that is pushing the boundaries of what people thought was possible before, music that is largely unidentifiable by genre definitions. There is old music that still fits this definition. It was ahead of it's time when it was made and it still is. But to find the most experimental music, the ever-present is the place to look.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

The 60s.  Mainly for Dylan, but there's obviously a ton of great stuff from the 60s.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FancySoapsMan

2000's

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By weegieanawrench

What, no 1930's or 40's? What about Django Reinhardt man?! Well since that isn't on here, I'm going with the 60's.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I can't believe so many people are voting for the 00's. For the most part, it had rubbish music. I know there are some good artists from that decade, but compared to the 70's or 80's there is no contest.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Slaker117

The Who, The Stones, The Beatles.

The 60's were revolutionary.

Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@MattyFTM:  Well if you like metal the '00s are great.  
Generally as a rock/metal listener i can't say there hasn't been a decade without good music. For example how can you glorify the 70's or the 80's when bands like Wham and artists like Boy George where active during that period?
HoM3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HoM3R

I like 00's best because genres are completely faded. You got rock and hip hop music with electro and orkestra also singing in harmony is back aswell. For me all the goods stuff from the past decades is all being used by the good artists of this decade.
Apart from that music got alot more commercial with every dedace so the pile crap you have to look past is alot bigger then in the past. But im looking @ the positives.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By velucyraptor

Earlier decades produced some amazing sounds, but I had to choose the 90s. Words cannot even begin to describe what I feel for original 90s emo/screamo, which is heartfelt &honest &nothing like the music associated with those labels nowadays dear god I am twenty years old &already speaking like some sort of pretentious old wanker

Solemn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Solemn

The 1970s. Done.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

70s, 80s and 90s.

Damotello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Damotello
@FancySoapsMan said:
" 2000's "
This. People bitch about the quality of modern music but there's a lot of really good stuff about if you look.
Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Arker101
@Slaker117 said:
" The Who, The Stones, The Beatles.  The 60's were revolutionary. "
I support this post.  
70's and 80's were great too, but the 60's are what do it for me.
Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Sooperspy

80's, 60's, and 90's.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By Atlas

People need to remember that there was terrible mainstream music in the 60s, 70s and 80s, it's just that nobody remembers those artists and you only remember the good ones. When people talk about those decades the same ten or so bands get mentioned for each decade, but for my money you put ten top bands from the 2000s up against just about any other decade and they look pretty damn good. I'll agree that most of the best bands of this decade haven't exactly been mainstream, but if you're willing to look a little deeper there is much more good music now than there ever was.

Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Mono, The Mars Volta, Bjork, Thrice, Deftones, Explosions in the Sky, Isis, mew...I'd say the 2000s are alright.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The '90's, when alternative was king and everyone was glum.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HaltIamReptar
@HoM3R said:
"  I like 00's best because genres are completely faded. You got rock and hip hop music with electro and orkestra also singing in harmony is back aswell. For me all the goods stuff from the past decades is all being used by the good artists of this decade. Apart from that music got alot more commercial with every dedace so the pile crap you have to look past is alot bigger then in the past. But im looking @ the positives. "
You don't actually think that orchestra is spelled that way.
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@MattyFTM said:
" I can't believe so many people are voting for the 00's. For the most part, it had rubbish music. I know there are some good artists from that decade, but compared to the 70's or 80's there is no contest. "
The 70's and 80's can't compete.

The 90's, maybe.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

1970, but then again,i can listen to any rock from any decade.
I think the 70's and 60's rock was the best...i mean come on..The Doors ftw! 
Also i love the rat pack music (after playing New Vegas) no singer/band can ever match the charisma of Dean Martin or Frank Sinatra...or Elivs for that matter.
Today however,its much worse,rock can still be cool but looking at other genres,i just loose my faith in human kind, minute by minute of listening ,,music''...
You know what im talking about.
But yeah,best music imo 70's (at least rock) and there is still great music today,but in average...sucks...
*rant over*

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Ramone

70's for Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iggy Pop and The Ramones

Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@Atlas said:
" People need to remember that there was terrible mainstream music in the 60s, 70s and 80s, it's just that nobody remembers those artists and you only remember the good ones. When people talk about those decades the same ten or so bands get mentioned for each decade, but for my money you put ten top bands from the 2000s up against just about any other decade and they look pretty damn good. I'll agree that most of the best bands of this decade haven't exactly been mainstream, but if you're willing to look a little deeper there is much more good music now than there ever was. Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Mono, The Mars Volta, Bjork, Thrice, Deftones, Explosions in the Sky, Isis, mew...I'd say the 2000s are alright. "
ISIS, Godspeed, Mono,Thrice and The Mars Volta in the same post? Holy crap the servers will explode from the awesomeness!
Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Faint
@Atlas said:
" People need to remember that there was terrible mainstream music in the 60s, 70s and 80s, it's just that nobody remembers those artists and you only remember the good ones. When people talk about those decades the same ten or so bands get mentioned for each decade, but for my money you put ten top bands from the 2000s up against just about any other decade and they look pretty damn good. I'll agree that most of the best bands of this decade haven't exactly been mainstream, but if you're willing to look a little deeper there is much more good music now than there ever was. Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur Ros, Mono, The Mars Volta, Bjork, Thrice, Deftones, Explosions in the Sky, Isis, mew...I'd say the 2000s are alright. "
based on what you listed from the 2000s - can i marry you?
Walheimat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Walheimat
@MattyFTM said:
" I can't believe so many people are voting for the 00's. For the most part, it had rubbish music. I know there are some good artists from that decade, but compared to the 70's or 80's there is no contest. "
The 00s are the 70s' and 80s' wet dream. Are you keeping your ears in a box in the attic? The 00s were what no-wave aspired to. It died a two-year long wretched death and look at what we have now! Music that doesn't at least to a degree embrace capitalism, the hatred of thinking and consumer culture has ceased to exist. The 00s beautifully sound like fin de siècle, because this is art music's final bellyache. They all bleed, and they're all pop now. Nothing that is more than a link between overpriced drinks and meaningless sex with a stranger has any chance of being played anymore: because it would be untrue and dishonest to its time. I really like that.