When/Why Did It Become Cool To Be A Hipster?

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By wjb
bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By bellmont42

@Wes899 said:

If anything I've found the hipster hate more annoying. It's now impossible to have opinions that don't agree with others without being labeled a "hipster". I love Majoras Mask. It's my favorite Zelda game. I've held that opinion since Majora came out. Every time I say it now people think I'm just being a hipster. Not everyone that has different opinions is a hipster.

I have that exact same issue with Majora's Mask because it really is my favorite zelda game. Then throw in my special bonus for also HATING Final Fantasy 7. I MUST BE A HIPSTER.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By FengShuiGod

@supermike6 said:

The funniest part about hipsters is that they never realize they are hipsters. I don't mind the fact that they are hipsters but I find it hilarious when they try to deny it.

Depends. The term "hipster" has become so nebulous it is nearly meaningless, but I'll say this: Some people really try to be hipsters. They wear flannel, vests, funny hats, tight pants, have mustaches and/or elaborate beards, ride fixed gear bikes, are annoyingly political, play the accordion, have shitty tattoos, listen to bands you've never heard of, complain about anything popular, ect. I won't try to define what makes these people unequivocal hipsters, but you know them.

Some aspects of hipster culture have entered the "mainstream," or were never very "hipster" to begin with and were merely appropriated by hipsters. Often being genuinely attracted to these bits of culture gets you labeled a hipster. I know some dudes who hunt and four wheel and fish a lot. You know, outdoorsy types, but not "let's get back to nature" types. They wear heavy flannel and have beards. If you saw them out and about, you might think they were hipsters. Not so.

I have been accused of being a hipster for riding a bike (not a fixie though!), listening to "hipster" music (though I don't listen to "hipster" jams exclusively), liking "non-mainstream" films like Drive and Werckmeister Harmonies (but I'll enjoy Avengers with the best of 'em!), and reading. Since when did riding a bike, enjoying many kinds of music and movies, and reading become the domain of the hipster? It seems the term is thrown around more and more to lazily dismiss those who have disparate interests. Your nearly tautological argument that hipsters never realize they are hipsters seems to border on the same kind dismissiveness. I am not a hipster, yet according to you, by denying so it seems likely I am just a hipster who doesn't know it. When hipsters become self aware, are they no longer hipsters?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By zeforgotten
@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

If anything I've found the hipster hate more annoying. It's now impossible to have opinions that don't agree with others without being labeled a "hipster". I love Majoras Mask. It's my favorite Zelda game. I've held that opinion since Majora came out. Every time I say it now people think I'm just being a hipster. Not everyone that has different opinions is a hipster.

I have that exact same issue with Majora's Mask because it really is my favorite zelda game. Then throw in my special bonus for also HATING Final Fantasy 7. I MUST BE A HIPSTER.

You "HATE" a video game? 
I wonder what that's like... You must be a hipster for doing something that seems weird too! 
Do you have hair? You must be a hipster ! Wait, is that a nose you have in the middle of your face? Hipster! 
bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By bellmont42

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

You "HATE" a video game? I wonder what that's like... You must be a hipster for doing something that seems weird too! Do you have hair? You must be a hipster ! Wait, is that a nose you have in the middle of your face? Hipster!

I hated that video game so hard that I THREW IT ON THE GROUND. Shit is too popular for me. (Am I doing it right?)

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By Zleunamme

@Vinny_Says said:

Ironic how people who try to be original, unique and individualistic end up all looking and acting the same.

That pretty much sums it up.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By zeforgotten
@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

You "HATE" a video game? I wonder what that's like... You must be a hipster for doing something that seems weird too! Do you have hair? You must be a hipster ! Wait, is that a nose you have in the middle of your face? Hipster!

I hated that video game so hard that I THREW IT ON THE GROUND. Shit is too popular for me. (Am I doing it right?)

But it has gotten super popular to hate Final Fantasy 7 like 4 years ago. What do you do now, hipster?! (I think we're doing it right. I have no clue how the "brain" of "hipsters" and "anti-hipsters" work)
bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By bellmont42

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

But it has gotten super popular to hate Final Fantasy 7 like 4 years ago. What do you do now, hipster?! (I think we're doing it right. I have no clue how the "brain" of "hipsters" and "anti-hipsters" work)

I hated it before it was cool to hate it... and if people really hate it so much now then I guess I love that game! ALSO, my dad can beat up yours.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By zeforgotten
@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

I hated it before it was cool to hate it... and if people really hate it so much now then I guess I love that game! ALSO, my dad can beat up yours.

Woah, woaaah. No reason to make this personal... I'm gonna go cry now :( .. And play Final Fantasy 7 just to let you know that you are now like me! HAH
bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By bellmont42

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

Woah, woaaah. No reason to make this personal... I'm gonna go cry now :( .. And play Final Fantasy 7 just to let you know that you are now like me! HAH

I'm starting to be too mainstream... I can't handle it! *inserts shotgun in mouth*

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#61  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Hipsters are cool?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Cloudenvy

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

I'm starting to be too mainstream... I can't handle it! *inserts shotgun in mouth*

You forgot an important step.

*pulls trigger*

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By InternetCrab

I try not to care.

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By bellmont42

@Cloudenvy: Yeah well.... I didn't want to be part of the emo group either.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By cookiemonster

@Wes899 said:

Especially in light of some of the complaints about Patrick recently. It seems like just because he has a different/broader taste in games than others, hes perceived as a hipster. Its quite sad that things can get to that stage.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By zeforgotten
@Cloudenvy said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@ZeForgotten said:

@bellmont42 said:

@Wes899 said:

You forgot an important step.

*pulls trigger*

Pfft, Kurt Cobain already did it once. 
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By McGhee

There is no such thing as a hipster, aside from a label someone puts on another person who they see as being cooler than they are.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By penguindust

After reading the OPs rant, I'm a bit confused. What constitutes a "hipster" these days? I would have thought listening to music because it's popular would be the polar opposite of a hipster, so can someone give me a definition?

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By neoepoch

It has never been cool.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#70  Edited By Yummylee

@McGhee said:

There is no such thing as a hipster, aside from a label someone puts on another person who they see as being cooler than they are.

I think hipster did used to have a very clear definition; y'know, people who purposely liked to be 'different' for the sake of being different, and would criticise others for enjoying fast food entertainment instead of more 'cultural' stuff. But these days the word has been thrown around so much, with everyone calling everyone else a hipster just as an excuse to justify their own tastes/opinions, that yeah.. it's lost all its meaning.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Cloudenvy

@bellmont42: How are you still alive? D:

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

In my day we called "hipsters" Dumbasses, then punched them in the face.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By zeforgotten
@SexualBubblegumX said:
In my day we called "hipsters" Dumbasses, then punched them in the face.
So, last weekend?
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

@ZeForgotten

Wait so it's still the 90's? YES! OH GOD YES! 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#75  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikeGosot said:

@JasonR86 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Perhaps it's a symptom of this age of cynicism in which we find ourselves?

So i assume there are hipsters in the Moon.

Space hipsters would be the worst!

So Video Game King is actually Space Hipster King! *le gasp*

I am no hipster, good sir, although my taste in games betrays me on this point. The games I play are not of a contrarian nature, nor do I look down on more popular games by virtue of their popularity. However, in answer to your original question, I do not know of any hipsters in my Kingdom. True, my fellow Lunarians have been exposed to bits and pieces of Earthly culture (and I'm not counting Sexyface watching American TV to keep his English skills sharp), but thankfully, hipsters have not been one of those bits or pieces.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MikeGosot
@Video_Game_King: Well, there are a lot of obscure games to like, so i'm not blaming you. Besides, like i said before, i think that Red Dead Revolver is better than Redemption, so i guess i can relate.
And please say there are Lunarian Punks.
laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By laserbolts

Who fucking cares?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikeGosot:

Huh? What's a "punk"? This shit isn't translating, and I've nary a clue what it refers to. Is it, like, the sound a shoe makes when it hits the ground?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MikeGosot
@Video_Game_King said:

@MikeGosot:

Huh? What's a "punk"? This shit isn't translating, and I've nary a clue what it refers to. Is it, like, the sound a shoe makes when it hits the ground?

They are like angry leather-lovers who kill Kings, listen to good music and have cool hair.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikeGosot:

So gay emo kids who commit regicide to Kokoro? I hate how specific other languages tend to be. And with such esoteric concepts!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By Brendan

"Hipster" is too broad a term these days, to the point where I'm not even sure what one is anymore. I'm sure you could show me a lulz internet picture of some stereotype but people throw the word around so often that the category seems pertain to almost anyone.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By MikeGosot
@Video_Game_King said:

@MikeGosot:

So gay emo kids who commit regicide to Kokoro? I hate how specific other languages tend to be. And with such esoteric concepts!

More like Rock n' Roll Terrorists. They're pretty cool.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Video_Game_King
MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By MikeGosot
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By SexualBubblegumX
@MikeGosot
No Rock n' Roll Terrorists are 90's era Headbangers like myself. Gimme GWAR and a molitov cocktail, and you'll have yourself a burned church.
Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the ones in and around portland, oregon are a mix of okay, decent, cool to talk to, and downright fucking annoying.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By dethfish

I have been under the assumption that Hipsters were not cool. Isn't being a hipster at this point too popular for hipsters to like it? Oh god, I'm so confused. Too keep it simple I usually go with the strategy of "I'll like whatever I want to like and fuck everyone elses opinions". Aren't I original and unique you guys?

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By stryker1121

@soulfulsoul: What is a hipster to you, though? Lumberjack shirts, bowties, facial hair that makes them look like Wyatt Earp, fixie bikes, Pabst beer, Wes Anderson movies, an overriding sense of jaded ennui, what? It just seems so wide-ranging. Hell, I drink Pabst and watch pro wrestling w/o irony. Does that make me a hipster? (It probably just makes me lame but I've made my peace with it)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#89  Edited By mosespippy

@soulfulsoul said:

I just don't understand it. I usually have no trouble getting along with people, but I would have to say if there is one group of people I don't like it is hipsters. Maybe I don't understand the group, but it seems everything about them is fake. They wear ridiculous clothes just to look silly or unique, listen to music just because it is popular and new, and have horrific attitudes that are incredibly selfish. It seems like they are trying so hard to be a part of the group. When did trying to fit into such an awful stereotype become so popular? I am sure some are decent people, but why would they want to be a part of a group like this?! It seems to have just been in the last 4 years or so. Unfortunately theree are a ton in the city I'm from.

I don't think you understand hipsters. They don't listen to popular music. They listen to music you (and the mainstream) have never heard of until they become popular and then they move onto the next thing you've never heard of. Then when their favourite underdog is huge they can say that they were there from the start.

Everybody wants to keep up with the Jones so to speak. Hipsters try to be ahead of the Jones by being there first. They have their trendy clothes, bands and technology before the rest of the world. The people around them know what they are about and go to them for advice on what's hot and new. Ask a hipster about the iPhone 5 and he'll know a bunch of rumours. Ask them about what band they are listening to and in 3 years that band will win a big award for "Best New Artist" despite not being new.

Basically when you are on the leading edge of what is trendy then your social circle looks to you to set the example. Thats certainly a nice position to be in. I guess for some people that gets to their ego so they come off as dicks to those that aren't their friends.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90  Edited By FesteringNeon

There are a lot of people in the world. Like minded people just tend to stick to one another. If one gives off an impression another person likes, they gain another friend or acquaintance. Thus, expanding on their arsenal of stylized clones. Thank Hollywood for making the early extravagant "simple" look, easy to follow and maintain.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By AiurFlux

Hipsters are considered cool? News to me. Individually they're nice people, but as a group they've always seemed to be self-righteous pricks with a chip on their shoulder.

But hey, I'm just a guy in blue jeans that drives a bike in the summer and a car in the winter. I'm the epitome of run of the mill.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Ben99

psychology! ever heard of it motherfucker?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Turambar
@CookieMonster said:

@Wes899 said:

Especially in light of some of the complaints about Patrick recently. It seems like just because he has a different/broader taste in games than others, hes perceived as a hipster. Its quite sad that things can get to that stage.

I thought the criticisms of Patrick revolved around his narrow taste in games.
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By DukesT3

@Jeff said:

This is like asking "When/Why Did It Become Cool To Be Interested In Current Fashion And Music Trends?"

I must be way behind in whats current.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Harkat

Hipster isn't like emo or goth. It's not a group so much as an insult to describe pretentious elitist with an affinity for alternative fashion, indie-stuff and vintage authenticity.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By DukesT3

I have a friend who will put you and her shitlist if you ever "dare" call her a hipster. Even though she pretty much is. The ones that annoy me are the trustfund hipster kids. Come from well to do families and go to some liberal arts school to major in something they can't find a job in unless they decide to teach it. I don't mind hipsters but they can be very big douchebags as their "bro" counterparts. As with some comments before its just the hipster term is being thrown around in the gaming culture as a whole, when you don't like game A and love game B then your a hipster. Also when I was in high school 10 years ago getting a shirt with a videogame character on it had nothing to do with being a hipster, hell I never heard of that word in 2002 in my high school bubble, you were just known as a nerd/geek who plays videogames. It wasn't "cool" with everyone else, shit some people would actually laugh at me for it but now its accepted because times are different I guess.

Thats my ramble and thats all I have to say about that.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By napalm

Actual hipsters exist. They wear black-rimmed glasses, funny/weird-colored clothing, ride fixed-gear bikes and they all live in the cities. Many of you don't know what I'm talking about because you're either too young, or you sit in your room all day in the suburbs.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

@zombie2011 said:

Why does it bother you so much? It seems like you spend a lot of time thinking about a group of people.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By DeShawn2ks

@Napalm said:

Actual hipsters exist. They wear black-rimmed glasses, funny/weird-colored clothing, ride fixed-gear bikes and they all live in the cities. Many of you don't know what I'm talking about because you're either too young, or you sit in your room all day in the suburbs.

Andre 3000 is not a hipster. How dare you assume such a thing.

TheBostonPops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By TheBostonPops
@BraveToaster

It's only funny when Anthony Bourdain makes fun of Hipsters. The way he acts whenever he sees them is hilarious.

Dude, agreed. The Amsterdamn episode of The Layover is particularly great.