Which movie do you think will win best picture this year??

• 70 results
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By giyanks22

What movie do you think will win the Academy Award for best picture this year?

I think Invictus will, even though I haven't seen it yet, it looks amazing, hollywood people will like it. Clint Eastwood, Matt Damon, and Morgan freeman....what can go wrong.

TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By TheKidNixon

I'm not sure what will win, but if Hurt Locker isn't even nominated, it doesn't much matter.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

The dark knight

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Willy105

Up.

But it most likely go to some movie no one has ever heard of or seen before that had bad reviews but the academy thought it was classy.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

Have they even announced the nominees?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Azteck

I haven't really kept up with this years movies, so I can't say actually.

I just hope New Moon is banned from any sort of award for all eternity.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jkz

I'd hope the Hurt Locker is nominated

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By ez123

Crank 2

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Toxin066
@ez123 said:
" Crank 2 "
Oh I hope so....
Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pantalooney

District 9

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Mushir

I wish District 9 wins it. But I know that that will never happen. Invictus seems like a Oscar winning movie. The Oscar folks love those kind of movies.

dresum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dresum

They expanded the number of nominations to 10, so if The Hurt Locker is not nominated then something is seriously wrong. I also hope District 9 and Moon will get nominations but that seems less likely.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Pie said:
" The dark knight "
Might want to check your calendar there, pal.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Twilight said:
" I wish District 9 wins it. But I know that that will never happen. Invictus seems like a Oscar winning movie. The Oscar folks love those kind of movies. "
Back in the day Aliens got nominated for Best Picture and took home Best Actress, so it is still very possible for it to happen with District 9, as that is also my choice.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mushir
@teh_destroyer said:
" @Twilight said:
" I wish District 9 wins it. But I know that that will never happen. Invictus seems like a Oscar winning movie. The Oscar folks love those kind of movies. "
Back in the day Aliens got nominated for Best Picture and took home Best Actress, so it is still very possible for it to happen with District 9, as that is also my choice. "
Thats right, back in the day.

Anyways I've heard like 10 movies are gonna get nominated this year so there's a good chance District 9 atleast gets nomination. No way it's getting best picture though. I honestly think that the main actor should get a nomination for best actor. I mean he was brilliant!
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox

Movies? They still make those things?

But seriously, I haven't seen any from this year. However I've heard great things about The Hangover. Not Best Picture things, but Best Comedy things repeatedly.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Driadon
@Twilight said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
" @Twilight said:
Back in the day Aliens got nominated for Best Picture and took home Best Actress, so it is still very possible for it to happen with District 9, as that is also my choice. "
Thats right, back in the day.  Anyways I've heard like 10 movies are gonna get nominated this year so there's a good chance District 9 atleast gets nomination. No way it's getting best picture though. I honestly think that the main actor should get a nomination for best actor. I mean he was brilliant! "
This is the LEAST I'm hoping for. Sharlto Copley was brilliant was Wikus. I'm also hoping for an award or two for The Road.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CL60
@PeasForFees said:
" Twilight I feel sick after typing this "
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilTwin
@Driadon said:
"This is the LEAST I'm hoping for. Sharlto Copley was brilliant was Wikus. I'm also hoping for an award or two for The Road. "
I can't say from experience because no theaters around me are playing it (sadface), but expect a best actor nomination for Viggo. 
angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By angelfan91

Up.  I haven't seen District 9 but I hope that would be in the running.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By breadfan

Zombieland! 

thomastruth69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thomastruth69

I tell you i liked the movie Hammer Man. It was great. i watched it 14 times.
ToxicFruit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By ToxicFruit

district 9 was pretty good

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilTwin
@Br3adfan said:
" Zombieland!  "
I wish.  I know it has no chance, but I don't think I enjoyed a single movie more than Zombieland this year.
illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By illmatic19

I want Star Trek to win, but it probably won't.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By penguindust
The Messenger, An Education and Precious have been getting a lot of buzz for their acting.  

The Messenger is the story of two U.S. Army soldiers tasked with the duty of informing family members that their sons or daughters were killing combat overseas.  The buzz seems to be focused on actresss Samantha Morton who plays a widow befriended by the young of the two soldiers, Ben Foster.  Woody Harrelson plays the older serviceman. 

Precious is a movie about a 16 year old African-American girl who survives what seems to be a horrible life.  Pregnant by her sometimes absentee father for a second time, she waits on her mother hand and foot who viciously abuses her physically and emotionally continuously.  She is in the 9th grade at school but is also illiterate. 

Nine is a movie which hasn't hit theaters yet, but could also be a nominee.  It's a musical inspired by the life of Italian film director Federico Fellini.  It stars Academy Award winners Daniel Day-Lewis, Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman, Judi Dench, Sophia Loren and Academy Award nominee, Kate Hudson.  That's a lot of Oscar gold in one movie.   

An Education is the story of a British school girl coming of age in 1960s England.   When she meets an older man things begin to change for her. 

A Serious Man is a tale from the Coen Brothers about a Jewish man in the late 1960s.  When his wife leaves him for another, he is forced to reassess his life's direction.

When you think about how the Academy votes, any of these are more likely candidates than those mentioned above with the exception of the Hurt Locker which is also a serious movie about a serious subject.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These discussions always tend to dissapoint me, because it just shows that something as simple as the genre a film is in can take precedence over its quality. Richard Roeper said it best: "It's a lot harder to make people laugh than it is to make them cry."  

Out of the films I've actually seen this year my favorite would be Watchmen, but it won't win best picture. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earl Haley deserve nods for their performances, but for best picture I'd probably go with D9 (again, out of what I've SEEN). For some reason, I really see 500 Days of Summer winning best picture. It just oozes with the "Pick me, I'm a cutesy Indie darling full of wonder and whimsy!" feeling that the Academy loves oh so much.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho
@Everyones_A_Critic said:

" These discussions always tend to dissapoint me, because it just shows that something as simple as the genre a film is in can take precedence over its quality. Richard Roeper said it best: "It's a lot harder to make people laugh than it is to make them cry."  

Out of the films I've actually seen this year my favorite would be Watchmen, but it won't win best picture. Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jackie Earl Haley deserve nods for their performances, but for best picture I'd probably go with D9 (again, out of what I've SEEN). For some reason, I really see 500 Days of Summer winning best picture. It just oozes with the "Pick me, I'm a cutesy Indie darling full of wonder and whimsy!" feeling that the Academy loves oh so much. "

At the risk of sounding pretentious, I don't think the academy gets movies like this, or say, The Brothers Bloom. I think they think if its not vaguely about WW2 and it doesn't have a British thespian in it then it can go fuck itself. Since when does the Academy love movies like 500 Days anyhow? They like old people and the Dogme 95 movement and 'brave' nude scenes. Antichrist might get a nom.
Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

I have a lot to say about movies this year, but I will limit that to my ideas for 5 movies that deserve to be nominated in this category. 

Big Fan 
Where the Wild Things Are 
Moon 
A Serious Man 
Black Dynamite 

I shit you not on that last one 
EDIT: the Informant! deserves some recognition, imho

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favorites this year have been 
The Hurt Locker
Zombieland 
Have not seen many movies this year.... 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

I can guarantee that I haven't watched any movies this year that would be considered for Oscars.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Christoph Waltz needs to win something for Inglourious Basterds. He was amazing in that.

Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tirrandir

Expect to see lots of The Road and Precious, at least.  The Hurt Locker will probably get some nods if people bother to remember it.  Up will probably win best animated despite Ponyo AND Fantastic Mr Fox both being better movies.  Outside of that, I couldn't say.  Might see 2012 get the best SFX nod, though ... Avatar might get it, too.  Hard to say on that one.  I don't see Transformers 2 getting it, just on general principles.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By lucas_kelly

I hope District 9 or Moon does. They are probably the best movies I have seen this year.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By thatfrood
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" Christoph Waltz needs to win something for Inglourious Basterds. He was amazing in that. "

Yes! He spoke in French, German, English and Italian and was fantastic every time! Goddamn, he did a great job! That movie needs to win some shit, it was fantastic.
hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By hatking
@Twilight said:
"I wish District 9 wins it. But I know that that will never happen. Invictus seems like a Oscar winning movie. The Oscar folks love those kind of movies. "

Good?
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho
@nofx4208 said:
" I have a lot to say about movies this year, but I will limit that to my ideas for 5 movies that deserve to be nominated in this category.  Big Fan Where the Wild Things Are Moon A Serious Man Black Dynamite  I shit you not on that last one EDIT: the Informant! deserves some recognition, imho "
Black Dynamite was brilliant. I don't think people know how hard it is to set out to make a 70s Blacksploitation movie that actually feels like one. Most movies that "try" to be B movies are just awful.
jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By jasondaplock
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" Christoph Waltz needs to win something for Inglourious Basterds. He was amazing in that. "
This.
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Oh I need to see A Serious Man and Black Dynamite.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwoOneFive
@giyanks22: 10 movies get nominated for now on, new rules, therefore Hurt Locker WILL be nominated.  And it deserves to be. However, everyone I know in the military didn't like it. 

I know it sounds bizarre but i've heard some crazy quotes from some big shot, reliable names who say Avatar is a definite contender. It looks more epic than Return of the King.  

I'm definitely looking forward to Invictus, Clint Eastwood is ON FIRE at this late stage in his life. It really is incredible. The man is literally a master of his craft.  

I just hope Sam Rockwell gets at least nominated for his performance in MOON. 
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By Lies

Invictus looks like serious Oscar bait. A few other contenders, but barring catastrophic failure my money's on Invictus.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Brunchies

District 9 will probably be nominated but like the topic creator, Invitcus will most likely win. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Pie said:
" The dark knight "
um wrong year bro
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TwoOneFive
@Brunchies said:
" District 9 will probably be nominated but like the topic creator, Invitcus will most likely win.  "
i really doubt that movie gets nominated. it wasn't nearly as good as the fanboys make it sound... 

and basterds won't even be considered. waltz might get a nod, but who knows. i didn't like the movie very much. i've grown tired of tarintino movies, his movies are for fanboys so they can all act like stuck up movie buffs and pretend everyone else just doesn't get it. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ryanwho

While we're talking about movies we haven't seen that feel like obvious Oscar bate, here's a list of other contenders. 
The Lovely Bones (rape, instant nom)
A Single Man (Collin Furth is old and British and acts serious, garanteed Best Actor nom) 
Up in the Air (Liberal elite darling Clooney in a followup from the director of Juno, obvious pic)  
The Last Station (Helen Mirin is old and British and acts serious, garanteed Best Actress nom)  
Invictus (reasons already stated) 
Nine (adaptation of a popular New York play, Daniel Day Lewis acts serious, Best Actor nom best supporting nom best Picture nom) 
Young Victoria (period piece about Queen Victoria, prettymuch sells itself) 
Crazy Heart (Hollywood loves grizzled old men and 'old' country culture, Jeff Bridges) 
Its Complicated (romance between 3 old people, gross, but Meryl Streep so the Academy will love it) 
Imagorium of Doctor Parnassus (obligatory posthumous nom for Deadger, also should be visually stunning) 

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

Was Christopher Walken in any movies this year? That one should win. :D

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Romination
@Toxin066 said:
" @ez123 said:
" Crank 2 "
Oh I hope so.... "
no, they can't nominate that.

it would win everything, I don't think they want a total sweep like that.
marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By marc

I'd say we will see Avatar win in the special effects department. But yeah, Invictus looks really good.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Red12b

ZombieLand or 2012 

Because one is a satirical look at the quirkiness of the Genre and done in another way, and the other is 2012. 

Can you handle this much destruction??????