Why can't you stream dubbed anime on PS3/Xbox Hulu Plus app?

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShinjiEx

Seems like a pointless app to pay for if you can't watch the dubbed version as well as an option...

Funimation needs to do a streaming app for gaming consoles for there elite subscription service...

P.S. Sucks a lot of anime got pulled from NetFlix recently :(

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sickVisionz

What app are you talking about?

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShinjiEx
@sickVisionz: Hulu Plus...
mabber36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By mabber36

why would you want to watch the dubbed version anyway?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Petiew
@mabber36 said:

Man, this. I was so dissapointed when I checked out the anime section on UK Netflix. I wanted to watch the Haruhi movie with Sugita and Aya Hirano. Though I realise some people do prefer the dubs so this is kind of a downer for them.

I'd have thought most of the Hulu stuff would be dubbed, while the rest is newer shows that hadn't received a dub yet. Is it mostly all subbed though?
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@mabber36 said:

For some people they don't have the time to watch anime with subtitles since they may be doing something else. Sometimes it's just wanting to consume the show in my native language.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By McShank

I am saddened by Netflix and their *tv show* section vs hulu but I can get over that. I just joined CrunchyRoll and they have their app on ps3 (dont know about xbox) and they do anime + Dramas if your into those. Not the largest selection but so far 95% of it is subbed.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EXTomar

I don't understand. Is there a problem with Hulu Plus or the app or what? Titles come and go from Netflix all of the time so what title got pulled?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By kindgineer

@mabber36 said:

Because not everyone wants to sit and watch sub-titles all day if there is an alternative. There are plenty of good anime "dubs" out there that satisfy me just as much as watching it with Japanese voices. I'd probably watch more anime if dubbing was more widely and (readily) available.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dichemstys

I'm guessing because they bought the rights to specifically the original Japanese audio.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By mikey87144

@ShinjiEx: Yes you can. I know I've had to redo the search so the subbed version comes up instead of the dubbed version.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Hector

@ShinjiEx said:

Well you can check out Neon Alley if you have a PS3. It's a streaming service that offers dubbed anime.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

I personally like watching anime with subtitles on and with the dubbed voiceovers. You can see the differences in the original script and what the dubbed cast would end up saying.

Back to the topic at hand. Never used the Hulu app on my 360. The forced watching of ads on Hulu Plus was enough for me to avoid it. Sucks that most the anime on Hulu is lacking in audio options.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Sergio

@EXTomar said:

I don't understand. Is there a problem with Hulu Plus or the app or what? Titles come and go from Netflix all of the time so what title got pulled?

They lost a lot of titles. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like almost anything that Funimation holds the rights to. Kind of makes sense, since I never bothered with subscribing to Funimation's paid service since almost everything was on Netflix at the time.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShinjiEx

Looks like even on PC Hulu only have mostly subs... with the exception of a few select anime series so oh well I guess...

runnah555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By runnah555

I want to say "because anime is terrible and it's the universe's way of telling you this", but I won't because I am a better person than that.

I would hazard a guess and say it's rights related.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

They don't have the Dubbed version because the Publisher's have to give people an insentive to buy their Dvds/Blu-ray.If you could watch their entire catalog for eight bucks a month off a streaming service,they would have a lot harder time selling their products than they already have.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DoctorDanger99

there are alot of anime shows id love to watch but i hate subtitles. its just very distracting to me having to read and watch at the same time. i cant even have subs on video games because i find myself just staring at the words instead of whats happening on screen.

i watched a few episodes of death note with subs and it seemed interesting but i just cant stand the subs.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EXTomar

Subtitles are not consistent on streaming services let alone the Anime specific ones. As for stuff disappearing on Netflix, I just saw and watched FLCL 5 and 6 again because Netflix recommended it to me. I'm not sure what disappeared but shows come and go on Netflix all of the time.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sickVisionz

@SethPhotopoulos said:

For some people they don't have the time to watch anime with subtitles since they may be doing something else.

This is always funny to me because it's like, if you don't want to watch anime, then just do something else. If it's just going to function as background noise while your attention is focused on something else, what does it matter what language it's in?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@sickVisionz said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

For some people they don't have the time to watch anime with subtitles since they may be doing something else.

This is always funny to me because it's like, if you don't want to watch anime, then just do something else. If it's just going to function as background noise while your attention is focused on something else, what does it matter what language it's in?

Some people are perfectly capable of multitasking and absorbing the show as long as you can understand what other people are saying. It's possible to split your attention while not losing a lot of comprehension. I'll watch the same anime alternating between dubbed and sub and find that I don't lose a lot when I multitask on the dubbed ones.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zeik

@sickVisionz said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

You've never watched TV while playing on a DS or something? You can't do it with every game/show, but there are some that don't require your full attention (a lot of RPGs for example) and it's not hard to do both. You could also do it while cleaning the room or something, which requires even less attention. But trying to do it with subbed anime is completely pointless if you don't know the language, since reading subtitles requires your full attention at basically all times.

Duskwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Duskwind

Hate subtitles. Spend more time reading and less focused on the visuals. Prefer dubbed. Besides, I think they do a good job.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sickVisionz

@Zeik: If it's crappy, not worth paying attention to, and only has value in serving as background noise then I won't watch it period, regardless of it being dubbed or subbed. I'd rather watch shows that are worth my time.