Why does everybody still play competitive online FPS games?

• 78 results
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Meowshi
@ArchScabby said:
" @sexy_nipples said:
" Most console kiddies started gaming online when? Like I think COD4 was probably their first online competitive FPS.  They aren't nearly as good as they were before. Like compare Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 1942.  Compare MW2 to COD1 w/ United Offensive  Compare UT3 to UT2004  They've been dumbed down for a wider audience sadly. I mean look at the first Operation Flashpoint. Look at the one released in 2009.   Hell, people call COD4's multiplayer innovative LOL.   "
I play console games so I don't have to listen to elitist PC assholes like this. "
It's your own fault.

Your eyes should have automatically scrolled past his post the moment you saw him mention "console kiddies", but no, you kept reading on as if it were going to get less silly from that point.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By wefwefasdf
@ArchScabby said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @ArchScabby said:
" @sexy_nipples said:
" Most console kiddies started gaming online when? Like I think COD4 was probably their first online competitive FPS.  They aren't nearly as good as they were before. Like compare Bad Company 2 to Battlefield 2 or Battlefield 1942.  Compare MW2 to COD1 w/ United Offensive  Compare UT3 to UT2004  They've been dumbed down for a wider audience sadly. I mean look at the first Operation Flashpoint. Look at the one released in 2009.   Hell, people call COD4's multiplayer innovative LOL.   "
I play console games so I don't have to listen to elitist PC assholes like this. "
Yeah he comes across like that, it's true. Except that he's mostly right.  Console games are pretty much always streamlined experiences due to the limits of the control interface.  "
Well I didn't necessarily mean just this post.  I've seen his other posts, and he's totally like that. "
Yep. I've seen them too.

Besides, a real competitive player can use whatever control scheme.
yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By yinstarrunner

The reason FPS games are so popular online is because they are among the easiest genres to get into, and even if you aren't the best, you can still have a lot of fun.

People feel intimidated by RTS and Fighting games, because those games require you to learn a lot more to be competitive.  People aren't willing to take the time to learn build orders or how to micro correctly.  They don't want to memorize combos and counter-picks.  Even MMOs require a certain degree of learning and a huge time investment.

On top of that, it's a lot easier to have "badass" moments in shooters than in other genres.  Even bad players occasionally feel that they did something awesome, and that gets the endorphins pumping.

tranquilchaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By tranquilchaos

It's due to the general public being more interested in gun violence than meaningful narrative experiences.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By dbz1995
@KaosAngel said: THAT WAS CRAZY

"

This is a competitive game, and I have yet to play anything close to what duels in UT2k4 were like...say what you want, but watching duels were one thing but playing them was a different world.  It was pure skill and no luck, most intense moment ever in cometitive shooter.  EDIT:  I dare any Halo gamer to play me in UT3 or UT2k4 with them using their crappy controllers in a duel.  I'll show them what a true FPS game is. "

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Revelade

A number of reasons why I play: 

It's intense: you don't know where the enemy is so you have to look around. They could be flanking you, ahead of you, etc. 

It's somewhat realistic: you have a first-person angle, not like a camera far behind you like WoW, or a side one like fighting games. 

It's simple: aim, shoot, reload. You don't need a guide book for this game. 

It's fast: people die quite swiftly on CoD4. When people are around you, you need to be quick to trace them with your gun. Also, matches are fast, so you can play a bit and leave, unlike long RPGs where you need to commit hours if you do a raid or a mission.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By nintendoeats
@crunchUK said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" @Osaladin said:
" Because it's fun, the only reason anyone should be playing video games. "

...Or because of the artistic potential...? That seems like a good reason to play games. Not online shooters maybe, but games for sure. "
Maybe if you're a pretentious twat "

**** you?

I'm trying to think of a civilised response to this, but its just too absurd to really argue with. There are pretentious gits out there...but are you seriously suggesting that any attempt to take games seriously is bad? Can you actually make a case for that, because from where I'm sitting it sounds ridiculous and a hell of alot more pretentious than saying that video games are art.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By natetodamax

Why do people play sports games? Why do people play RPGs? Why do people play MMOs?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By crunchUK
@nintendoeats said:
" @crunchUK said:
" @nintendoeats said:
" @Osaladin said:
" Because it's fun, the only reason anyone should be playing video games. "

...Or because of the artistic potential...? That seems like a good reason to play games. Not online shooters maybe, but games for sure. "
Maybe if you're a pretentious twat "
...  **** you?  ...   I'm trying to think of a civilised response to this, but its just too absurd to really argue with. There are pretentious gits out there...but are you seriously suggesting that any attempt to take games seriously is bad? Can you actually make a case for that, because from where I'm sitting it sounds ridiculous and a hell of alot more pretentious than saying that video games are art. "
@tranquilchaos said:
" It's due to the general public being more interested in gun violence than meaningful narrative experiences. "
All done
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By nintendoeats
@crunchUK: That...doesn't prove anything...and isn't actually true. If people didn't care about narrative experiences, they wouldn't watch movies without guns in them. Or read books at all (ok, alto of people don't read books, but reading is hardly pretentious). Sure, there is a SEGMENT of the population that just wants to shoot stuff, but that isn't everybody. ANyway, if You were the only person in the world who liked a band, would that make you pretentious? Not by default. If you only liked the badn BECAUSE other people didn't like the, then it would be pretentious.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By crunchUK
@nintendoeats said:
" @crunchUK: That...doesn't prove anything...and isn't actually true. If people didn't care about narrative experiences, they wouldn't watch movies without guns in them. Or read books at all (ok, alto of people don't read books, but reading is hardly pretentious). Sure, there is a SEGMENT of the population that just wants to shoot stuff, but that isn't everybody. ANyway, if You were the only person in the world who liked a band, would that make you pretentious? Not by default. If you only liked the badn BECAUSE other people didn't like the, then it would be pretentious. "
What are you talking about... I think you need to go re-read what you yourself posted
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By nintendoeats
@crunchUK: Please don't tell me to make your argument for you. I don't see anywhere that I have said anything unreasonable or conflicting.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By ProfessorEss

You guys should solve this argument with a round of competitive online FPS gaming!!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By nintendoeats

@ProfessorEss:  Ahem, funny you should mention that, I have a little flowchart representing just such a scenario:

No Caption Provided
(By the way, I have since been told that Plato didn't start this idea, it was Hegel. Oops.)
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By crunchUK
@nintendoeats said:
" @crunchUK: Please don't tell me to make your argument for you. I don't see anywhere that I have said anything unreasonable or conflicting. "
Which is precisely why you fail. Seriously, re-read your post. The amount of relevance borders rambling.
lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By lightsoda

Because it's damn addictive...

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By nintendoeats
@crunchUK: Its completely relevant. He said people should only play games because they are fun, I think otherwise. I put forward another reason. Relevant.
Myrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Myrmidon

...seriously? You actually don't know the answer to that question?

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By damnboyadvance

It's competitive and fun. A lot of people can play it too. The simple concept makes it more accessible; just shoot the red people!

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By vendetta
@Myrmidon said:
" ...seriously? You actually don't know the answer to that question? "
There is no "the" answer. There are more than just one. This thread and my article were created to provoke discussion.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By artofwar420

Cause TF2.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By KaosAngel
@artofwar420 said:
"

Cause TF2.

"
Yeah....but you are never on Steam so, it kinda sucks without you.  >.>
Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#73  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

i miss playing CS 1.6 and before in CAL tourneys, also Quake 3

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#74  Edited By KaosAngel
@Bam_D_Leprechaun: Fail.  UT99 > Quake 3, I agree with the 1.6 though.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75  Edited By artofwar420
@KaosAngel: But I am, I am on right now for example. I think it's just that we live in different areola codes.
CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CaptainCody

Lol if I never played competitive games I'd be outta games.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@KaosAngel: Wow that was amazingly entertaining 

I agree with OP. FPS games are getting boring. I loved BC1 but i just cant get myself to play BC2. It bores me and i just cant put it back into my 360. I hope something changes...the last game I remember enjoying MP was CoD2 (besides Halo)
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#78  Edited By GreggD
@damnboyadvance said:
" It's competitive and fun. A lot of people can play it too. The simple concept makes it more accessible; just shoot the red people! "
That could be misconstrued as racist. But yes, those highlighted in red are often times the enemy.
Avatar image for xlibertyxprimex
xLIBERTYxPRIMEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By xLIBERTYxPRIMEx

It all started for me with COD4, and it all died with COD4 (7 months later). There is a high chance I will never touch an online shooter again. Only exception is if it's coop.
Myrmidon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Myrmidon
@Vendetta said:

" @Myrmidon said:

" ...seriously? You actually don't know the answer to that question? "
There is no "the" answer. There are more than just one. This thread and my article were created to provoke discussion. "
No, there is one answer. There's more than just one reason, though.

But really, the clue is in the title - competetive. People play competetive shooters because they like shooters, and like being better at them than other people. Consider CSS - there's very little variation in gameplay -- you win based on your ability to employ different tactics at the right moment, and your skill with the weapons at hand. The rush you get from beating another real, live person in a game of skill (which is essentially what public css is) is great. And because it's a fairly instant sink or swim affair, given that you have very limited amounts of health and can only take a max of maybe 4 well placed bullets, the rush leads of a great sense of achievment should you have played a round well.

That's the answer. Fairly simple when you actually think about it. Although I'll give you a break because, assuming you don't play online FPS games (durr), you would never know the real answer by default. 

I will now read your article.

Edit: Ohh, *that's* why you don't get it. You don't play good online FPS games. Play one private match of CSS with a team of 4 other people, with vent, and you will see why online FPS is so adored.