• 72 results
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Hello

My personal favorite music genre of all time is Synthwave, since back in late 2014 when I first heard of the artist called Power Glove, this made me got into that.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wonder if I've mentioned my favorite genre of music so often that it's now at the point where people can know via Google search.

...It's technical death metal by the way, though the band that I listen to the most is The Black Dahlia Murder.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By judaspete

We'll, my username is a play on Judas Priest, so......METAL!!!

I like a lot of different things though, electronica, folk, hip hop. But if I'm going to pick one genre, I'll cheat a bit and lump progressive rock/metal together. Some of my favorites being Dream Theater, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, and Genesis from the Peter Gabriel era.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#4  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Kinda hard to pick, probably post-punk or industrial, or whenever those genres meet ... which they did a lot in a specific time and place which kinda feels like its own subgenre with dozens of bands coming out of Sheffield, UK around 1978-85. Lots of bands there circling around Cabaret Voltaire, The Human League/Heaven 17 and Clock DVA, trading band members, being room mates and being influenced by each other and coming up with this amazing jazz and funk influenced industrial post-punk sound that always works for me.

Also whatever that genre is called which the former black metal bands Ulver, Dødheimsgard and Manes ended up in.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

post-hardcore

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By ThePickle

according to last.fm my top 8 artists of the past 365 days are...

Oasis, Azealia Banks, Kanye, Blur, Kate Bush, Lorde, Gorillaz, Sublime

so I'm into all types of shit really recently I've been listening to a lot of britpop/Madchester it's perfect tunes for just chilling outside now that's summer

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I mostly hover around the Rock / Alternative / Indie corners with a decent amount of Post-punk, New Wave, Britpop, Hiphop, Hyperpop, Folk and Pop included. A smidge of Metal (without grunting if it can) and a dash of Jazz, Country & Neo-Soul to top it off.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd still say Rock, but as an over-all rather than a specific genre of it. And these days not my only interest in terms of music.

akira333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: Post hardcore :) For a long time Fugazi was my favorite band. Now I'm mostly into obscure 90s and early 2000s emo music and screamo aka skramz. Sometimes I listen to shoegaze, indie, folk punk.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

I tend to lean towards metal most of the time. If I don't know what to listen to, I'll listen to something proggy (Ne Obliviscaris, Black Crown Initiate, Rivers of Nihil) or something melodic (August Burns Red, old In Flames, Skeletonwitch). Or sometimes something way more "atmospheric" (Agalloch, Alcest, Deafheaven).

But I also sometimes find myself listening to jazz (Snarky Puppy, Casiopea) or... I dunno, really, sometimes I'll surprise myself with what I want to listen to. It's just that most often what I want falls under one of the above genres. As you might expect from these descriptors, I also like a lot of those instrumental not-metal, not-jazz, somewhere-in-between bands that have sprung up over the past few years - Animals as Leaders, Covet, early Polyphia, etc.

...though, honestly, at this point "metal" and "jazz" really should be considered some kind of "supergenre" above a massive number of different, varied things. If you just say "I like metal", that could mean you like Sabbath and Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, or it could mean you're way into 90's death metal, or it could mean that you really like symphonic metal. All of those things are wildly different, all can be described as "metal", but you gotta be more specific if you want someone to actually know what you like to listen to. I've found the same is true of jazz, though I haven't really dug into enough of it to know a bunch of different subgenres and artists off the top of my head.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rap / hip hop. Think eminem, joyner lucas, da baby, hopsin, polo g etc etc etc

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love me some metal, also hate metal at the same time. Music "chefs kiss" the stigma and the elitist bullshit that surrounds it i could live without. Talk about massive genre dicks.

But going on 30+ years with it, you learn to ignore some of the downsides

Ryman86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

For myself I'd have to say chill EDM and early 2000's trance.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't really have one to be honest. Everything from choral to Serbian turbofolk. It's all good. Boring answer, I know, but you've got to start somewhere.

KevinWalsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rap/Hip-Hop. The mid 2000's were rough but as I finished high school and went to college, there was peak Kanye, peak Lil Wayne, then the new internet dudes with Kid Cudi, Drake, J. Cole, Wale, Big Sean, Wiz, then as I finished college it was Kendrick, A$AP, Action Bronson, Odd Future, Chance, there was so much new and different talent. I've def fallen off these past few years but from like 07-2016 I was such a hip-hop head.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How has this thread been up for a day and no one has said "Ska"? The answer is Ska, and yes, this is ska.

sajidkhan187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Rock N Roll' & 'Full BASS'

I keep listening to it over and over again. They really are the most beutiful songs in the world. My thanks to you!

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By HIMSteveO

Metal, mostly deathcore/slam and all of its long-winded variants (brutal slamming death metal and all of that jazz), but pretty much all forms of metal :)

Also like to mix in some punk/hardcore (and yes, that also includes ska :)) and the more lyrical hip-hop, with the occasional detour into dubstep/synthwave for something different.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwing42: I was in a ska/punk/metal band back in high school. We called our genre SKArd-Core.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AtheistPreacher

Got into EDM over the past three to five years or so. My entrance into it was via Feint, who's a DnB guy. But I really can't tell the difference between all the different sub-genres... like, I don't know what makes something DnB versus melodic dubstep. Not that it really matters that much. I just know I seem to like a lot of the stuff in the EDM space.

FWIW I started maintaining a YouTube playlist of my favorites so I could share with my dad, who has started to get on this train with me:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHDx6IU8kmtcGBsbmhdK2cpBmxApDzIZU

It's ordered chronologically in order of song release, and includes some music from anime and video games that may or may not technically be EDM, but that sounds EDM-like to me, at least. Maybe someone else here will get a kick out of it.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

g-funk, post-punk, vaporwave, alt rock

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't really decide on a favourite genre.. Right now I waffle between the following

Japanese Visual Kei (which is usually rock music ranging from pop-rock to metal)
Japanese R&B/dance/rock
Chinese R&B/rap/dance (mostly originating from Taiwan)

When I was younger I had an English R&B/rap phase, and then an English 90s alt rock phase. Now I almost never listen to English music.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judaspete: Nice. I had a couple practices in a ska band in high school, except it was only a horn/sax section. We quit because there was no one to sing or drum.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japanese New Age music and anything that is at the bleeding-edge, extreme end of the music spectrum.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By brian_

I'm one of those "anything but Country" people, but most of my knowledge is of Classic Rock and Soul from the 70s and 80s. While much less knowledgeable of it, I'll also listen to a far amount of Japanese City Pop.

I was born in the 90s though, so there's a lot of music from the 90s and early 00s that I have a fondness for, but that stuff is a little more all over the place in terms of genres to nail down.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I like a lot of different stuff, but my favorite stuff is in the Avant-Garde, Progressive, and Experimental corner of Rock and Metal.

Stuff like Mr.Bungle, Dog Fashion Disco, Tub Ring, Stolen Babies, The Algorithm, Polkadot Cadaver, and Diablo Swing Orchestra. I like a bit of chaos and nonsense in my music, with the band Unexpect usually being a little more dissonant and chaotic than I actually want, in case that gives you an idea of my range.

Outside of "my favorite genre", I also greatly enjoy stuff like Bridge City Sinners, Fear Factory, Mindless Self Indulgence, Rage Against the Machine, Buke and Gase, Deerhoof, The Residents, Lovage, Polyphia, Goldfrapp, Secret Chiefs 3, Portishead, 12 Rounds, Garbage, Nine Inch Nails, Snake River Conspiracy, Tool, A Perfect Circle, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, The Prodigy, Cake, and Babymetal. Stuff you could probably describe broadly as "Alternative" in some way.

I've most recently been getting into Cardiacs, Black Midi, Sigh, Igorrr, and Cattle Decapitation.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By penguindust

Jazz. I didn't care much for the music of my generation in high school, so I started exploring backwards. My grandparents raised me, so I became familiar with the popular genres of jazz and swing at a young age. As I expanded my explorations I sampled lots of different jazz subgenres and artists. Like any form of music some I liked others I couldn't wrap my head around. Back then the only way to really get into jazz was buy albums, check out the stash found in libraries (community and collegic) or raid a friend's parents old collection. These days I just listen to everything on Spotify. Currently my favorite album of all time is Dizzy Gillespie on the French Riviera (1962). If anyone has Amazon Prime, Ken Burns Jazz documentary is on it. It's a long, but good resource.

Jazz is life. It gives me joy like no other form of music.

Avatar image for deactivated-631ad0f0ba978
deactivated-631ad0f0ba978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MF DOOM

Bribbins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psychedelic rock lately, been listening to a lot of king gizzard and the lizard wizard

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Blues rock and nineties/aughts hip-hop. Been getting a bit more into seventies rock as of late and I'm not too sure why except that it's stuff I haven't heard in a long enough while that it feels new again. Also a ton of OSTs, modern classical, lyricless beats, and chill electronica for work purposes.

alianger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 25

#31  Edited By alianger

I like most genres besides radio pop and variants (especially w/ heavy autotune or screamo elements or when pop has an alternative/underground "costume" so to speak but lacks substance and creativity), eurobeat, crunkcore, modern country, gabber techno, gangster rap, talk show-style jazz fusion, brostep, uh.. polka? I guess I have some preference for rock and electro variants, older r&b/soul, ambient, chamber pop, and just experimental music in general

There generally isn't a genre where I can't find anything to like.

Lately I've been making some post punk and new wave focused playlists, and a dreampop and shoegaze focused one on spotify.

Theanyelpes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heavy Metal and Hard Rock. I've been listening for them since I was 12 years old, until today almost 20 years later

fokifegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

retro wave ;)

AlpineHermit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got really into IDM, the older Detroit style of techno, UK garage / jungle / DnB, and hypnotic stuff, years ago.. really can't get enough of it. But I still apricate most of the music I used to like.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Onemanarmyy
Loading Video...

@humus07: What kind of artists would you consider doing that? Is Jess Williamson anywhere in that vicinity? William Tyler?

I just saw a list with Cass McCombs in it, and Cass McCombs is excellent.

Loading Video...

thefizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thefizz

There's good shit in every style. Hip-hop still probably my favorite. It still comprises the biggest slice of my collection.

Also to the dude who likes jazz...fuck yeah. Hard bop and Soul-Jazz from the mid 50's through mid 60's is my favorite period and styles.

Hank Mobley is one of my favorite musicians. Grant Green, Freddie Hubbard, Wynton Kelly etc... all those dudes recording for Blue Note and Impulse and shit are sick as hell.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By BaneFireLord

I’m not a genre loyalist by any means…by way of example, my favorite band is Iron Maiden, my favorite album is My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, and my favorite song is Sufjan Stevens’ “Chicago.” If it sounds good, I’ll listen to it. But there’s something about that sweet spot of very late 70s/early 80s metal—your Dios, Iron Maidens, Black Sabbaths and the like—that never fails to make me happy.

AzlamOrlandu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Metal and the surrounding genres are probably my all time favorite. Satyricon is probably my favorite band. But I'm generally into anything spooky and melodic no matter the genre. Perfect Selection Dracula Battle 1 and 2 are my favorite Halloween soundtracks, which are heavy metal version of Castlevania classics.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thrash Metal is my favorite.

lobster1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love heavy metal, but when I go out clubbing I am ok with some minimal techno.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does Michael Jackson count as a music genre? He's all I listen to.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mikachops

if i had to choose itd be jazz.

but really its a mix of that and psych rock and art pop. doesnt mean i dont listen to and enjoy mostly everything else.

mursalahmed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mursalahmed

Progressive-metal-etc.

I like Opeth, The Dear Hunter, Protest the Hero, Between The Buried And Me, Steven Wilson. So mostly metal but also other proggy stuff, too. I’m always up for something off the beaten path, laden with technical prowess, or a concept piece, but not stuff that’s TOO avant-garde.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Classic Rock and Oldies

CyrusRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BROWN

bxt7280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been on the djent/modern progressive train for the last decade. Besides that classical music.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I can say none, because if i listen to one genre for too long i get burned out. I have to rotate or keep things mixed up.