Your stance on pirated content? Here is mine...

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By serbsta

Im all fine with it, im being honest.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#52  Edited By Soap

Piracy is technically a bit wrong, but if it takes money out of the pockets of cookie cutter produced boy bands and other crap like that...... i'm game.

Real muscians don't need record sales anyway, they have the talent and ability to sing live and earn a living doing what they love that way.

Avatar image for deactivated-58e52f575435f
deactivated-58e52f575435f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Demilich said:
"Look at it like this; let's say there's a game I would never purchase, like Mass Effect. Instead I download it, enjoy it thoroughly then decide I want to go out and buy it. And if I don't, nothing of value was lost.

What nobody thinks about is that just because someone pirated a game doesn't mean they would have purchased it."
Now I am more disgusted RENT the game...... im sure ur not dirt poor.
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By Demilich

Video stores around here suck pretty bad.

And I used to work at a Blockbuster so I fail to see how my unlimited free rentals there differ from piracy if I end up buying the game anyway.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

I dont pay for anything.
Execpt for good movies and/or music.
For example i went to the movies to watch the dark knight  but then i saw it twice on internet.
Now i think of buying a Pearl Jam CD  even tho i have download all the good songs

solidphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By solidphoenix

I want Piracy to die.
Go Nintendo for suing the company producing the R4's.
Why not support publishers and developers?
People who pirate are obviously too cheap to buy their own games.
Advice to piraters: get a job.

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Oriental_Jams

It's the root of all evil.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I am not a big fan, but if it wasn't for hackers and pirates, windows would never have been so big. I hate DRM and I hate the fact that hardware, like the PSP, is locked so you can't use homebrew (officially).

Though I do think that some pirates have terrible arguments.

jaydough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jaydough

Well, I only pirate music, because I have no money. If I had a job, I would probably pay for it, but for now, I pirate.

Schizoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By Schizoid

I don't pirate and I don't buy the excuse "oh I downloaded it to see if I liked it" because almost everyone who says this is lying.

BlindEffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#61  Edited By BlindEffekt

There's no point downloading games (unless there old time classics which you cant find), as you cant use them for multiplayer.
As for music, of course i have pirated before, but if i enjoy the music alot i make sure to buy the album if i can.

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

If the industry is only about money it needs to die so truly passionate game designers can be the prominent force. There are way more good freeware indies than mainstream games so I'd almost like the industry to die and piracy is a way to take away the greedy focus of the industry.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#63  Edited By xplodedd

Piracy sucks. But if there is an album of a band that I think should quit such as Gunit, ill pirate their stuff. but most of my albums are buys. As for games, when you pirate a game you dont get the full value. you put in like 3 times the effort for nothing.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By BiggerBomb
LuckyWanderDude said:
"If the industry is only about money it needs to die so truly passionate game designers can be the prominent force. There are way more good freeware indies than mainstream games so I'd almost like the industry to die and piracy is a way to take away the greedy focus of the industry."

Have you ever thought that games need profit so investors lend studios money and fund the development of the game itself? Without that money, great games cannot be developed.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BiggerBomb
Demilich said:
"Meresin said:
"Demilich said:
"Look at it like this; let's say there's a game I would never purchase, like Mass Effect. Instead I download it, enjoy it thoroughly then decide I want to go out and buy it. And if I don't, nothing of value was lost."

Problem being that you wouldn't purchase it because you've already played it. That's probably the lamest excuse for piracy, and it's the one everyone always spits out..."I do it to try out the game before I buy it!" Nevermind that you never buy it because you've already "tried" it from start to finish.

Sorry, I get really tired of hearing that line of bullshit. :P

As for nothing of value being lost, that really isn't the point. You've gained from someone else's efforts and have given them nothing in return. You may not have purchased the game otherwise, but you did steal from the developer and the publisher by using something that you didn't pay for. On top of that, you've stolen from other gamers by contributing to the progressive crippling of profits from perfectly good games that deserved your money."
Funny how subtly you called me a liar.

Also...

caption
caption
"

Demilich said:
"Video stores around here suck pretty bad.

And I used to work at a Blockbuster so I fail to see how my unlimited free rentals there differ from piracy if I end up buying the game anyway."

Demilich said:
"Look at it like this; let's say there's a game I would never purchase, like Mass Effect. Instead I download it, enjoy it thoroughly then decide I want to go out and buy it. And if I don't, nothing of value was lost.

What nobody thinks about is that just because someone pirated a game doesn't mean they would have purchased it."
No, no, and no.

Piracy is theft. Simply because you do not physically take the content from an authorized outlet, does not mean that there was no theft. You are playing the game without paying for it, thus robbing the company of the money it took to make it. It isn't just you, doing it just a few times. It adds up, you and everyone else.

Don't give me the "I just want to see if I like it, then I will buy the box" crap. Sure, maybe some people do that. But 98% of pirated content is not reimbursed. Your smarter than that, don't feed me that BS.
Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Wuffi

piracy is great but i don't do it

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jayge_

I support artists by attending concerts.

I actually went up to the lead singer of Disturbed before and handed him $50 bucks for the CD's I'd downloaded (even though I'd bought them too- they don't get any of that).

As far as pirating games? I don't do it. Unless it's something like Crysis, just to test out the hardware. Not worth a purchase in the least.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68  Edited By xruntime

There are plenty of people who take a stand against video game pirating.

But at least half of the people in these forums pirate music, and a good amount also pirate movies.

There's no room for a double standard here.

So next time any of you guys call people who pirate games an idiot, take a look in the mirror and see who's the true idiot.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Justifying piracy is hilarious IMO.

Good job killing the mediums that you enjoy.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By xruntime
BiggerBomb said:
"Don't give me the "I just want to see if I like it, then I will buy the box" crap. Sure, maybe some people do that. But 98% of pirated content is not reimbursed. Your smarter than that, don't feed me that BS."

And since you're so keen on talking down to people, I bet you're smarter than what your spelling of "you're" is.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BiggerBomb
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Justifying piracy is hilarious IMO.

Good job killing the mediums that you enjoy."
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Jayge_
TheGTAvaccine said:

Good job totally having no idea what you're talking about.
ganja_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ganja_dude

well... I dont know how much money snoop dogg gets if i buy his CD but i dont think he would care...

I do buy games thogh. only a couple of games per year.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By xymox

TODAY piracy is worthless and disgusting, yes. But keep in mind there was NO legal option for downloading games and music some years ago. And the legal options available today would not be here without piracy.
But then again back then it also took like 15 minutes to download 1 song so a legal option would have been stupid.

Today there are legal options and there's absolutely no point in not supporting the artists or game companys you love.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By atejas

My stance on pirating?
It's wrong. Also I'm a bad person and I should feel bad.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:

Good job totally having no idea what you're talking about."
How do I not know what I'm talking about? People getting a "copy" of the game instead of paying for it, inturn gives the developers and publishers less money, in turn not being able/ not wanting to create more games. Screw off.
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By xplodedd
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:

How do I not know what I'm talking about? People getting a "copy" of the game instead of paying for it, inturn gives the developers and publishers less money, in turn not being able/ not wanting to create more games. Screw off."
listen, Jayge, games are at the store for a reason.. people need money. Its like you write a book, and no one buys it. people just "copy it". do you get any profit? can you make any more books? exactly. You ruin the game industry. You steal, its just like coming to the shop.. taking the game dvd, burning it, giving it back without paying. after all, you only COPIED it, right?
Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Demilich
BiggerBomb said:
"Demilich said:
"Meresin said:
"Demilich said:
"Look at it like this; let's say there's a game I would never purchase, like Mass Effect. Instead I download it, enjoy it thoroughly then decide I want to go out and buy it. And if I don't, nothing of value was lost."

Problem being that you wouldn't purchase it because you've already played it. That's probably the lamest excuse for piracy, and it's the one everyone always spits out..."I do it to try out the game before I buy it!" Nevermind that you never buy it because you've already "tried" it from start to finish.

Sorry, I get really tired of hearing that line of bullshit. :P

As for nothing of value being lost, that really isn't the point. You've gained from someone else's efforts and have given them nothing in return. You may not have purchased the game otherwise, but you did steal from the developer and the publisher by using something that you didn't pay for. On top of that, you've stolen from other gamers by contributing to the progressive crippling of profits from perfectly good games that deserved your money."
Funny how subtly you called me a liar.

Also...

caption
caption
"

Demilich said:
"Video stores around here suck pretty bad.

And I used to work at a Blockbuster so I fail to see how my unlimited free rentals there differ from piracy if I end up buying the game anyway."

Demilich said:

No, no, and no.

Piracy is theft. Simply because you do not physically take the content from an authorized outlet, does not mean that there was no theft. You are playing the game without paying for it, thus robbing the company of the money it took to make it. It isn't just you, doing it just a few times. It adds up, you and everyone else.

Don't give me the "I just want to see if I like it, then I will buy the box" crap. Sure, maybe some people do that. But 98% of pirated content is not reimbursed. Your smarter than that, don't feed me that BS."
Cool opinions bro. I didn't 'rob' them because they didn't lose a potential sale.

I have a copy of both Advance Wars games for DS, STALKER, Call of Duty 4, Oblivion, StarCraft and WarCraft III sitting on my shelf. I pirated every single one of those before I bought them. I still intend to buy Tetris DS, Crysis and maybe some other games I've downloaded depending on how good they are. So don't feed me this bullshit like I'm some kind of theif. Yeah, I pirated Bioshock, it sucked. I'm glad I downloaded it instead of wasting $90 and regretting it. Same goes for dozens of other games. Find someone else who isn't stupid to make an example of, because I'm not him.
xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By xruntime

In a book store, there are sofas and chairs for people to sit down and read a book, the entire book if they wish. People who like what they're reading often decide to buy a book.

When buying a car, you can test drive it to see how it feels and if it has nice accessories and stuff.

When buying music, they usually have cd players so you can hear some of the songs before you buy the CD. Online, there are samples.

There are too many games that don't give you a demo, so what else is there to do? Reviews aren't always reliable, there are many games that got high scores that I personally hated.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Jayge_
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:

How do I not know what I'm talking about? People getting a "copy" of the game instead of paying for it, inturn gives the developers and publishers less money, in turn not being able/ not wanting to create more games. Screw off."
I'd rather not give a publisher money for a game I don't know if I'll like than feed them my cash for a crap game. Simple as that. I'd rather a studio go under after having abysmal sales than get supported by me for something I end up hating anyway. There are many more factors, moral and fiscal, that go into considerations for how piracy may hurt the industry then just "publishers aren't getting their lootz!". One of the largest problems with people who advocate against piracy is that none of them ever go around offering solutions to legitimate issues that pirates bring up. In the meantime, it's the pirates who are constantly furthering the dialogue, always giving feedback and trying to show the industry that it's wrong.  You tell me to screw off- that's perfect. You're like a record giant. So unwilling to shift paradigms, and why? Change is happening, and change will continue to happen. The pressure that pirates put on everyone is definitely showing. You can either accept that eventually the movement will benefit everyone, or you can go back to having your head in the ground.

And xplodedd- I don't really want to be rude, but I'll advise against speaking to me like I'm beneath you.
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By xplodedd
Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:
"Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:

I'd rather not give a publisher money for a game I don't know if I'll like than feed them my cash for a crap game. Simple as that. I'd rather a studio go under after having abysmal sales than get supported by me for something I end up hating anyway. There are many more factors, moral and fiscal, that go into considerations for how piracy may hurt the industry then just "publishers aren't getting their lootz!". One of the largest problems with people who advocate against piracy is that none of them ever go around offering solutions to legitimate issues that pirates bring up. In the meantime, it's the pirates who are constantly furthering the dialogue, always giving feedback and trying to show the industry that it's wrong.  You tell me to screw off- that's perfect. You're like a record giant. So unwilling to shift paradigms, and why? Change is happening, and change will continue to happen. The pressure that pirates put on everyone is definitely showing. You can either accept that eventually the movement will benefit everyone, or you can go back to having your head in the ground.

And xplodedd- I don't really want to be rude, but I'll advise against speaking to me like I'm beneath you."
i didn't all i said was my thought. i think that copying is potentially stealing, also I thought that you were the one that did the drawing thing, so that was in potential... i guess. so yeah, after reading this i get the point, you want to try it before you buy it... didn't get that before. but, if there is a demo... would you still pirate the game?
TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Alright, I'm done with this thread. I'm against piracy, and there's no way in hell that I could type anything to make anyone stop pirating. It's a lost cause really, anytime there's anonymity involved, you get assholes. Oh well, I'll keep on buying my music, movies and games.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By xplodedd

yeah, but listen to what some of them are saying. they say that in their countries games are 90bucks, and there are no demos. like assassins creed. so they have to try out the game somehow/

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Psytek

I pirate music by bands signed to major record labels, because the band don't get any money from CD sales. I pay for indy (that means independant, not emo) music.

I don't ever pirate games, but I did try out a couple of games that friends had at lan parties to see if I liked them.

And piracy is not killing the games industry, its just people like crytek who make millions of dollars in PROFIT, but just want to make more, so they try to spin it as though they are getting hurt from piracy. When in actual fact, games that a pirated that much, are pirated because they suck.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By RetroIce4

I <3 Piracy! (I still buy some stuff but mainly music)

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jayge_
xplodedd said:
"Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:
"Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:

And xplodedd- I don't really want to be rude, but I'll advise against speaking to me like I'm beneath you."
i didn't all i said was my thought. i think that copying is potentially stealing, also I thought that you were the one that did the drawing thing, so that was in potential... i guess. so yeah, after reading this i get the point, you want to try it before you buy it... didn't get that before. but, if there is a demo... would you still pirate the game?"
That's one possible solution, and the answer from a lot of people would be "no, I'd stop". One of the largest reasons for piracy (and sometimes my own, although like I said, I try not to pirate games) is that the pirate is unsure of the quality of the product. Reviews these days are largely agenda-driven or money-hatted. Opinions only go as far as the individual's taste. It's an age of uncertainty in a time when game costs are skyrocketing. One of the best things about Xbox LIVE Arcade (full of games that would normally be pirated on PC) is that it offers demos of every single title. Many games may (rightfully, if they're crappy) lose sales because of that- but many more gain sales because people who may have been unsure now had the opportunity to test the product.

Only one facet of piracy is represented in the fact that nobody gets a demo anymore though. There are also the people who use piracy as a form of protest, like people on strike. This can be for various reasons, though mostly it's because of Digital Rights Management. Lots of honest people get fed up with companies throttling and annoying them for the work of those who pirate or crack for the hell of it, and turn to illegal methods of obtaining a game. Cracks are much easier to work with, and they are even more tempting for single player games (a la Bioshock or Mass Effect) with ridiculous restrictions. Nobody wants to feel like they're paying for the privelege to be a suspect. And that's just one of the myriad of reasons peopel use piracy as a voice (and it obviously speaks very loudly).

The real problem is the super-pirates, though. Those who just pirate everything for the hell of it because they can. Even I'll call them theives, but they're even more juvenile then that. What has been attempted to stop piracy has largely been because of them. They are (ironically) the reason that many people in the previous paragraph are violated by corporations. They will never stop, and they will always be a problem. They steal purely out of greed. I don't like them much.
xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By xplodedd
Jayge said:
"xplodedd said:
"Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:
"Jayge said:
"TheGTAvaccine said:

i didn't all i said was my thought. i think that copying is potentially stealing, also I thought that you were the one that did the drawing thing, so that was in potential... i guess. so yeah, after reading this i get the point, you want to try it before you buy it... didn't get that before. but, if there is a demo... would you still pirate the game?"
That's one possible solution, and the answer from a lot of people would be "no, I'd stop". One of the largest reasons for piracy (and sometimes my own, although like I said, I try not to pirate games) is that the pirate is unsure of the quality of the product. Reviews these days are largely agenda-driven or money-hatted. Opinions only go as far as the individual's taste. It's an age of uncertainty in a time when game costs are skyrocketing. One of the best things about Xbox LIVE Arcade (full of games that would normally be pirated on PC) is that it offers demos of every single title. Many games may (rightfully, if they're crappy) lose sales because of that- but many more gain sales because people who may have been unsure now had the opportunity to test the product.

Only one facet of piracy is represented in the fact that nobody gets a demo anymore though. There are also the people who use piracy as a form of protest, like people on strike. This can be for various reasons, though mostly it's because of Digital Rights Management. Lots of honest people get fed up with companies throttling and annoying them for the work of those who pirate or crack for the hell of it, and turn to illegal methods of obtaining a game. Cracks are much easier to work with, and they are even more tempting for single player games (a la Bioshock or Mass Effect) with ridiculous restrictions. Nobody wants to feel like they're paying for the privelege to be a suspect. And that's just one of the myriad of reasons peopel use piracy as a voice (and it obviously speaks very loudly).

The real problem is the super-pirates, though. Those who just pirate everything for the hell of it because they can. Even I'll call them theives, but they're even more juvenile then that. What has been attempted to stop piracy has largely been because of them. They are (ironically) the reason that many people in the previous paragraph are violated by corporations. They will never stop, and they will always be a problem. They steal purely out of greed. I don't like them much."
yeah, but those are the people who ultimately supply you the content... no?
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Jayge_

Yeah- most of the "crack" groups and other people are just petty people doing it because they think it's funny. And the other pirates need them for their services. It's very complicated, but nobody said sorting out piracy would be easy. Going out and jailing/punishing everyone who engages in piracy is definitely the wrong idea though. People need to listen, instead of instantly condemning. That's my entire point.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By pause422

I dislike how its become with games, because PC guys are always constantly bitching how some games have either gone off the PC totally with one of their games, or went multiplatform and made changes that seem specific to consoles, but the pure reason is its everyone's fault not theirs, that their game gets pirated and never makes any sales...and this has been said so many times by now. As far as music goes, I could care a less, and I know for a fact almost everyone in the entire world downloads music on their PC and doesn't think twice about it.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

You can't say piracy is a 100% bad thing all the time, its impossible to find copys of some older games that I enjoyed and lost the disc of a long time ago.  Ever heard of Startopia?  Looked for it for ages in shops around where I live.  Eventually I found out that the developer went out of business and so I pirated it out of frustration and had a great time playing it.  If I see it in a store I fully intend on buying it.

Also theres the opposite end of the spectrum.  Crysis, to be fair it does have a demo so its a bad example but my PC could only be described as low range at best so pirating it could be the only way I could have found out if it works properly on my computer. Again in this case Crysis does have a demo, I tried it and my computer is just not powerful enough to run it on its lowest settings so the demo saved me money.  If there wasn't a demo I would have pirated the game just to see if it runs properly and decided if I wanted to buy the game based on its performance there.

For the most part however I don't pirate, Company of Heroes and World In Conflict are fantastic games but without their online play their severely gimped so I bought those too.  The way I see it piracy is far too easy, buying things legally is complicated sometimes.  People who pre-ordered Bioshock know what I mean, the required online activation crashed on launch day so people were left unable to play for a few days, pirates had finished the game before the honest purchasers saw their first loading screen.  Spore and Mass Effect for the PC are allowed 3 installations Maximum.  Thats crazy, what happens when I go over my 3 installs after reinstalling XP or upgrading my PC?  Do I buy a new game at full price or get unlimited installs for free?  I'm not endorsing piracy here but publishers need to pull their fingers out and think make PC games easier.  Every game should have a demo and there should be some sort of place to buy any PC game, demo or trailer in just one place similar to the Xbox Live Marketplace.  These things alone would reduce piracy in my opinion.

Jayge said:

"Yeah- most of the "crack" groups and other people are just petty people doing it because they think it's funny. And the other pirates need them for their services.

In fact every single crack I've downloaded has come with a read-me that says something to the effect of  "If you've enjoyed this game go out and buy it, we did!"  A majority aren't cracking games because they've downloaded it for a laugh, their taking away the requirement of having the disc in the drive to play the game.  Well thats why I download cracks anyway.
Bnfbnggbfg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Bnfbnggbfg

As I doubt my post will even be read as I myself got bored of reading "pyrate wrong and here is why" followed by "pyrate rite and here is why", I will be honest.

I pirate music and movies all the time. I tend to only pirate games that are old, or games I bought already but can't find. I prefer to have the actual disks for games, but that is beside the point. I pirate music because I don't see the point in physical CD's being released. The reason companies lose money isn't so much that people don't buy their disks, as much as it is that they release disks.

Sure they could still release a limited number of disks for collectors or mostly for people without internet, and charge only for the disk itself, but for the most part groups should release their CD's free online. Now, I'm not saying this so that people lose money, because if the music is any good people will still show up at concerts, buy other merchandise, etc. If the CD's were free it would allow people who can't find them in stores, or can't spare the money to buy them to still enjoy the music without having to eat cereal for dinner. I personally would be willing to go to any number of concerts should my mother allow me and I expect to be going to a Dir En Grey concert in december, and yet, I pirate all my music.

Movies, on the other hand, I just pirate to test them out. If I like them enough, I'd buy them like I did with Children of Men. I heard of it, pirated it, and then bought it. Why? Because my TV is better than my computer monitor, and DVD rips tend to not have special features or audio commentary. With movies being so uncertain, as any combination of actors, writers, and directors could either be good or suck and it changes regularly, it would be too much of a risk to spend maybe 20$ on a movie when you hardly know what it's about and you aren't sure if it's good or bad. Also, it is pretty friggin hard to find foreign movies with English subtitles in an actual store.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ZeroCast

This is the Internet , Deal With It.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Jayge_
IncredibleBulk92 said:
"
Jayge said:
"Yeah- most of the "crack" groups and other people are just petty people doing it because they think it's funny. And the other pirates need them for their services.

In fact every single crack I've downloaded has come with a read-me that says something to the effect of  "If you've enjoyed this game go out and buy it, we did!"  A majority aren't cracking games because they've downloaded it for a laugh, their taking away the requirement of having the disc in the drive to play the game.  Well thats why I download cracks anyway."
It's your call. I've seen cracks that said "Take that, you stupid fucks!". You never know what you'll get, heh.
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
Jayge said:
"IncredibleBulk92 said:
"
Jayge said:

In fact every single crack I've downloaded has come with a read-me that says something to the effect of  "If you've enjoyed this game go out and buy it, we did!"  A majority aren't cracking games because they've downloaded it for a laugh, their taking away the requirement of having the disc in the drive to play the game.  Well thats why I download cracks anyway."
It's your call. I've seen cracks that said "Take that, you stupid fucks!". You never know what you'll get, heh."
Wow, I've been cracking things for years and I've never seen anything like that, it wouldn't make sense for a group to tell its fans they were stupid fucks so I think your bending the truth a little there.  Most people seem to be like me and just want to not have to switch discs all the time,  I think thats fair enough.  Of course theres always the people who aren't interested in that and just do it for the challenge, they can come off as kind of arrogant I suppose.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DualReaver

I do sometimes pirate ported console games, just to make sure they're not a broken piece of shit before I buy it.
As for music I do pirate a lot of it, but only because I don't have a 100 dollars to go out and buy 5 or 6 albums.
I do buy albums from bands who music I downloaded when I can though.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jayge_
IncredibleBulk92 said:
"Jayge said:
"IncredibleBulk92 said:
"
Jayge said:

It's your call. I've seen cracks that said "Take that, you stupid fucks!". You never know what you'll get, heh."
Wow, I've been cracking things for years and I've never seen anything like that, it wouldn't make sense for a group to tell its fans they were stupid fucks so I think your bending the truth a little there.  Most people seem to be like me and just want to not have to switch discs all the time,  I think thats fair enough.  Of course theres always the people who aren't interested in that and just do it for the challenge, they can come off as kind of arrogant I suppose."
I'm fairly sure they were referring to those who had attempted to place DRM on the product, not the consumer.
IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Ah fair enough, easy mistake I suppose.  I did sorta reply to it anyhow, their arrogant cocky A-holes. Thats the long and short I'm affraid :)

Here's something else to consider.  What do you think of pirating downloadable content?  There are plenty of guys out there cutting stuff out of games just so they can charge for it a few days after release.  Horse Armour in Oblivion, extra planes in Ace Combat 6, EA even took cheat codes out of the 360 version of the last Tiger Woods game just so they could charge for them even though they were included on the disc on other consoles.  In this case its more like they are trying to steal from us, personally I could care less about 99% of DLC and the only ones I'm interested in I pay for.  But when companies are cutting stuff off their games just to charge for it I always consider pirating it on principle lol.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Jayge_

Micro-transactions are a terrible, terrible thing. And that's all there is to it.

Worse are "key" transactions- 104KB (or however large, I forget) little downloads that unlock content already on your disc. Ridiculous.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By xruntime
IncredibleBulk92 said:
"In fact every single crack I've downloaded has come with a read-me that says something to the effect of  "If you've enjoyed this game go out and buy it, we did!"  A majority aren't cracking games because they've downloaded it for a laugh, their taking away the requirement of having the disc in the drive to play the game.  Well thats why I download cracks anyway."

Yes, I've pirated before - and this is true. They do tell you to buy the game. But there's no denying that there are countless people who don't.
Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Giantkitty

[adam_grif]
>I support piracy because piracy should not be a crime. Well, piracy should be, but breach of intellectual property rights should not count as piracy, because intellectual property >rights should not exist.

So when someone spends hours and hours doing something, they shouldn't be compensated for it. Do you work? Do you like getting paid for your work? Right now, I'm working on a novel, and it takes hours upon hours to make one. First i come up with good ideas (not something everyone can do - believe me I've read other amateur author's works), then write a first draft, and boy do they suck, so I am at the stage where I  at least have one re-write for most what I've written. Later I'll be taking things out  not because of  poor writing, but because  it doesn't fit into the story.  That's just fiction.  Non-fiction may involve a lot of research  (I do research  for my novel too). So why shouldn't they exist? Because it isn't concrete like making something like a chair?

>Say what you want about "the creator deserving to own the stuff he creates", in the words of Psycho, that's bollocks and you know it.

I guess I don't. A quote alone from someone (I'm assume someone fictional, is this Robert Bloch or Bret Easton Ellis or someone else?) is never adequate: here is my reason you shouldn't pirate: "that's bollocks and you know it." Okay, maybe that person whoever said that really meant that about what you were talking about, then we're talking about someone's  (fictional?)  opinion. Maybe the fallacy of quoting out of context or just the fallacy of attribution or just using a quote for evidence (a kind of non sequitor )

>REAL piracy is when you hijack a ship or boat. Fake piracy is when you breach copyright.

See : Genetic Fallacy. Everybody knows the current meanings of piracy and the internet, it's been established for decades.

>Lets clarify, shall we? Copyright. Copy Right. The Right to Copy.

Wow. So a lightning bug = lightning + bug ; hamburger = ham + burger? Fallacy of composition.

>Originally, this was not something that existed forever

Do you mean "it was not meant to last forever?" Things go out of copyright, like when someone dies. I don't believe the grand children should get copyrights, for they they didn't do anything but be a descendant.

>and it is not a right recognized by the United Nations charter on Human Rights

That's what laws for countries, etc. are for. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights wasn't meant to be a catch all for every single right anyone may have. It was only for basic fundamental things like "no slavery" and "education for all" Just look at the document and there are hundreds of things you can do that isn't in there. You can't use that as evidence because it wasn't what the document was set out to do. (a sort of fallacy of intention, but there's a better name for one that I've seen in fallacy books). And on a technical note, it's not binding anyways.

>That's because it's NOT a human right

According to just about every civilized country it is a right . (I don't know if there is a difference between a right and a human right - but I don't think cats are making the next GTA sequel) It does differ from country to country.

>A noble intention, the only problem is you are inventing a system designed to serve the public which finds massive opposition inside of the public

It's not intended to "serve the public" but the individual and or company that created it. And the only opposition are the people who steal (which with video games, etc. has varying degrees of wrongness, see below), go figure. Just because it isn't popular doesn't mean it's right (an appeal to popularity)

>The rates of music piracy are phenomenal. The rates of movie piracy are huge. The rates of game piracy are moderate to large

Just because something is done often or is easy to do doesn't make it right (appeal to popularity)

>A law that makes criminals out of more people than it protects is not a good law.

Well, let's take babies. Can we safely say that it's illegal to kill or try to kill babies? Let's say for argument there are 1,000 babies. What if 1,100 people tried to kill them? (Remember, some may not be successful, so it's possible) Ergo, a law against killing babies is bad because it makes more criminals than it protects. Laws aren't democracies, the votes of the people committing the crimes don't outweigh the rights of the people they are meant to protect. (A non sequitor). Someone with more legal knowledge may give a better explanation of "minority" rights (less than 50%, not racial). Look at how many people hate the Klan, but they're protected under the law.

>Except it shouldn't be considered theft, because the person doesn't loose anything, they just don't GAIN something.

No, nobody got money physically taken out of their pocket. But, it's what is earned or due to them. Let's take the work thing again, By rights, your employer doesn't have to pay you. You didn't lose anything, did you? Ergo, they're not stealing and it isn't wrong, so I hope you enjoyed working those two weeks for free. Also you're taking their "content " (as by the copyright, etc. their work as a whole) without permission. That's why there are laws that cover things that aren't exactly physical objects (like the ideas of things or the fact you can "electronically' steal, but it's not physically stealing) (cherry picking the definition of stealing)

>You say we gained something and we didn't pay for it. So what? Imagine if I overhear a great joke, then tell it to my friends. Should I be legally obliged to pay money to the person >who invented the joke? No I shouldn't. The principle is the same here, even though making a joke didn't take money.

Actually, there are people who make jokes and sell them for a living and there have been disputes. There's some hazy part between making something small and big. Should those little children books that are 5 pages be copyrighted? But anyways, jokes are what, two minutes at the most? We're talking about with video games, etc. something that takes hundreds of man hours. Not a little joke that takes what, a minute to make up and a couple of minutes to say? Phrases are the same way, whoever copyrighted "that's hot" (Paris Hilton?) shouldn't get money because it's just a little phrase, and one she didn't invent anyways. I don't want to split hairs and determine where something common, small, or already in use (jokes, phrases, etc.) ends and where copyright begins, but video games are definitely in the latter category. (Fallacy of the beard, part /whole fallacy, etc.)

>You're saying people should be allowed to OWN IDEAS and PATTERNS.

I don't think ownership of ideas is a good way of thinking about it (then we get into "do they really own that idea?' arguments ), but it should be thought in terms of  people coming up with original ideas (which should be rewarded if done properly) - societies stagnate without new ideas. Let's encourage the idea makers not make them give up and say  "oh, they'll just make illegal copies anyways, why bother". It should also be regarded in terms of hard work, people put in a lot of man hours, and should be rewarded.

> The legal ramifications are obvious - people can and have patented Genomes. Fucking DNA sequences. The key to life.

So with that patent they own you or something? (This area is highly monitored and under a lot of legal and ethical inquiry). Sorry, I'm not convinced about this "Genomic Big Brother" you imply, or that they're going to make Frankensteins or whatever. (Slippery slope fallacy).

[Soap]
>Real muscians don't need record sales anyway, they have the talent and ability to sing live and earn a living doing what they love that way.

I really feel bad for musicians. They're expected to be poor and they're deemed sell outs if they dare ask for money (never mind the corporations behind them were making billions)
Let's break it down: "Real muscians don't need record sales anyway" no, they just need food, water, air, and shelter. If they make an album (you know put a lot of hours of studio time, etc. that often costs them money), why not? This just begs the question. "they have the talent and ability to sing live and earn a living doing what they love that way" What if they're shy and/or  don't want to sing live? (I know Kate Bush had albums she didn't tour under). Why should making a concert  get them money but making an album not? It's just a rationalization by people who steal music online. And "doing what they love?" so, doctors and professional athletes shouldn't get paid much either, well in fact nobody who like what they do should. Just because you love what you do doesn't mean you shouldn't be compensated (Non  sequitor)

For all cases, pirating is illegal, but I don't think necessarily unethical. I haven't been part of pirating in a while, but here's what i think:

Well almost all of us can agree mass pirating and not buying anything hurts the industry. But there's always a few, you know the "let's make everything free" crowd. I don't think society would function if everything was free. How would you get food? (well if it's free, I'll just grow stuff for myself - there's no reason to give it away). And there's the people who basically think just because it isn't tangible, people don't have rights to it, or because the people who create are in the minority, and the people who buy are in the majority so whatever they do is right or whatever other reasons I've debunked. Puh-lease. Here's some trickier aspects:

"Things hopelessly out of print/ hasn't been made in years, etc"

I don't find it bad pirating these things (Of course I'd try E-Bay a bunch of times before), because the person isn't making any more, there's no way they can make money (I suppose you could try and track the people down and pay them). Just make a reasonable (whatever that is) effort to get it legally

"I try before I buy"
This all depends on the pirate. I see nothing ethically wrong if it's done sanely. It also helps keeps the big companies from just pushing out mediocre or bad stuff. Have a reasonable plan and don't download hundreds of things and deem them all sucky. And actually buy stuff. There have been suspicions raised by the doubters, but in the end, it's what you do, not what they say you do.

"Download sucky stuff just for laughs"
Well, you weren't going to buy it anyways. I can see someone doing this for that Rig Racer game just to really know how much it really sucks. Just if by some miracle you like it and are playing it for hours (like watching a B movie that its suckiness is a redeeming quality), please buy it.

"I don't want to be feeding evil corporations"
 Just don't screw the little people. Like with music, "Corporations make most of the money from album sales" well, I'm for you downloading the music and giving the artist a money order for some amount (at least a dollar, maybe more depending on their finances and how much you like it - and make it a money order - there are ramifications of signing checks that a "celebrity" has to deal with (like future forgeries) ). I know, corporations need money too, but when are they going to pay me back for stuff I overpaid? I know two wrongs don't make a right, but the evils of a corporation are far more than what i do. In some ways they are hypocrites for whining about money lost, but have no qualms when they all gauge.

"I don't have any money"
This is suspicious to me. I mean how'd you get a computer, etc. in the first place? This raises some other issues. I don't think because you're poor, you have no right to entertainment, but then again just because you're poor doesn't mean you're justified in pirating like there's no tomorrow. I don't know, maybe having an adjusted pirating allowance scale? I guess it's a bit more justifiable. if you're poor then you're working a crap job or are (or at least should) be looking for a job and/or your parents are poor. I don't think we should have a society in which someone has to say "I work a low wage job and can't afford entertainment because it is taken up all in food and rent, therefore when I get home, I will just lie on a bed because I can afford that" On the other hand, if you just spent $100 on beer last night and download because you don't have any money, then no, you don't deserve any downloads.

"Britanny Spears, etc. doesn't deserve the money"
I guess I can't really think why you should give her any more money (other people vary by who they are). I know, their being rich doesn't justify not paying them (but with someone like Brittany who was wasteful, it's not so bad). I guess this is a case by case basis, and if you only like that one song (One case for piracy is that, let's face it, albums are known for having filler or being bad except for those singles), well okay. But if you're downloading Madonna's entire recorded history, then no, buy her albums. In this case she is rich and deserves to be, for why are you downloading so much stuff? Hey this could be an "acting out' deterrent : "I really like your music, but you act like a two year old, so as a responsible consumer I am downloading your music and not letting you have any of my money to fuel your coke habit. I have the money in escrow until you go to rehab and really stop"