So this 'new' engine of Capcom's appears to be a bust...?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee

Update:

Resident Evil 7 biohazard is being developed on this new 'RE Engine' also, soooo... guess that too essentially confirms that Panta Rhei (and most likely Deep Down with it) have been silently canned.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of now the only game that's being developed with this engine is currently MIA and seems as if it's being quietly taken out back and shot in the face. Every other of their recent games spans a surprising gamut of engines:

• Revelations 2 was developed on their classic and ever reliable MT Framework.
  • And the recently announced Umbrella Corps is being developed on Unity of all things.

Makes me real anxious to find out what the Resident Evil 2 remake will be built on. The recently shut down fan remake was originally being built in Unity before switching to Unreal Engine 4, and since they've actually brought those guys on board for some form of assistance (which may include assimilating some of their work into their own) then Unreal Engine 4 seems like a good possibility.

I would make an uneducated guess that all of their work on this new engine that has since been left in the shed to decompose may have contributed a fair bit to their financial woes. Building a whole new engine can't be cheap and is undoubtedly pretty time consuming I would imagine.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Junkboy

Look man Deep Down is just really deep down on Capcom's priority list. Though this does remind me of squeenix and the luminous engine debacle they went through.

It's a shame that somehow Konami was the one that ended up with a great multiplatform engine (Fox engine) and they probably won't use it much going forward.

But yeah they hyped it up and much like dark sector last gen I think Deep Down with this engine was the first glimpse of next gen but mostly silence for the last year. Starting to feel like PSO2...

I guess yay for unreal?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0: I was thinking the same thing regarding the fox engine! Such a tragedy that a development engine that can run at 1080p60 even on consoles is almost assuredly going to go to waste.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll get rolled out once a year for Pro Evo. Unless they pull it.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@shindig: You are confusing this with Konami's FOX engine, I think (which is an awesome engine).

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shindig

No, @yummylee was referring to it going to waste which I took to imply that Konami are done with big budget games. Because they are.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Bumped, just to add how even RE7 isn't even being developed on that thing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I had totally forgotten about Deep Down.

What about Dragons Dogma Online??? Is it coming West?

Man.... Capcom.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

This thread is bummin me out

I think you're right though.

Deep Down is so vaporware, Gamespot etc didn't even mention it i n their missing games of E3 segment

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@artisanbreads: If my time with DDO through a VPN is anything to go by, maybe we really don't want DDO in the West...

Monster Hunter Online, though... Gimme that.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@viciousbearmauling: ah bummer. Never even followed up on it but there are few games begging for a sequel more than Dragon's Dogma. Such a good starting point.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@artisanbreads: Agreed. A Dragon's Dogma sequel could be phenomenal. Too bad most of my time with DDO was running long stretches, beating up little goblins, and never scaling giant monsters.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They canned Deep Down because they know what we really want is a real Dragon's Dogma sequel so that's where they're diverting all their resources to, right? Right?! It has to be!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Man, the 8-4 guys are still so enthusiastic when they talk about Deep Down on their podcast. Even though that game has been radio silent for like, a year or more.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

@junkboy0 said:

But yeah they hyped it up and much like dark sector last gen I think Deep Down with this engine was the first glimpse of next gen but mostly silence for the last year.

The plus-side, however, is that Digital Extremes was able to take the ORIGINAL Dark Sector, turn it into Warframe, and make a fantastic F2P game out of it.

Hopefully, the same thing could happen for Deep Down...becaaaaaause I've waited too long for that game already, and I need it. Like yesterday.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:

But hey, we were both wrong about the Fox engine it's being put to good use on those MSG3 pachinko machines!!!! XD

On topic though It's shocking these folks were the ones who made the MT framework and the various versions that came afterwards.

@jakob187

I hope so. Monster Hunter running on this would probably look amazing if they got it to work.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skinky

@jakob187:

Given the new hardware on the way from all, I expect that Deep Down will only look better when it does arrive. It's only natural Capcom would optimize the new engine for new hardwares potential. I highly doubt they would ditch it, at the most they'd give it a new name if it's signiifantly different.

There also may be modifications to the engine as a result of the VR shift.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkboy0 said:
@yummylee said:

But hey, we were both wrong about the Fox engine it's being put to good use on those MSG3 pachinko machines!!!! XD

The Boss did look pretty fantastic, I'll give them that much...

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I guess making game engines is pretty hard. Especially for Japan it seems; FOX engine took a looong time to develop, Panta Rei is nowhere to be found and that Luminos (or something) engine from Squaresoft is already discarded by them.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long live the panty raid.