Project Reality mod is now standalone and free!

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flasaltine

Well it seems like EA has removed Battlefield 2 from all online stores, including origin, so now PR is standalone. You guys, this is amazing. I have been playing PR on and off for years now and it is still tons of fun. It has the best multiplayer experience of any game I have played. Fuck Battlefield 4. Fuck Battlefield 3. Fuck the Bad Company games. This is the real deal. The teamwork it demands and facilitates is unlike any other game because of the gigantic maps and squad/class system. The work that has been put into this mod over the years is insane. They added a ton of factions, vehicles, and weapons. They modded positional voice chat into the game through mumble. They upped the server size from the standard Battlefield 64 players to 100. And now it is free, so you might as well try it out.

Some info and download here:

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f380-project-reality-news/134902-project-reality-bf2-v1-3-standalone-released.html

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought I would bump this because Drew played it on UPF. I recommend you skim over this manual before you play: http://www.realitymod.com/manual/pr_manual.pdf

Some tips to get into the game a little easier so you don't do what Drew did and have a boring time:

1. Set up your voice chat keys in the PR launcher options. These are for squad chat over radio and local proximity to anyone close by.
  2. Join a squad. Most servers have rules where squads dedicated to a team asset need to be labeled as such, so dont join "CAS" or "Trans" or "Tank." Join an infantry squad these are usually labeled with "INF". If I join a game that is already in progress I try to find a good squad that is close together. Click on the squad name and it will highlight everyone in that squad. They should be together, but on the insurgent teams you might not find this as the spawning is different.

That is it. Use a mic and join a squad with a competent squad leader. When Drew was on UPF he got put into what I think is the worst map, Kashan Desert. It is a 4k map that has a lot of nothing, and the fighting is focused around the area with the bunkers. Also, at the start of every AAS map, people will just be moving out and capping the points near the main base so Drew didn't see much action.

This guy has some videos on Project Reality, showing how it is meant to be played, they are all really long but here is a short one he made:

Loading Video...

ShakeSoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this is very cool news! Unfortunate that EA killed off the BF2 servers, but PR is pretty good substitute; some might say it's a straight up better game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

Looks good!

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By flasaltine

Wow, this is very cool news! Unfortunate that EA killed off the BF2 servers, but PR is pretty good substitute; some might say it's a straight up better game.

It is the best version of Battlefield there is. Much better than the new ones, for sure.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@flasaltine:That video was hilarious. "Sorry what I meant to say was OK WERE DOING THE SAME THING!"

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

This game sort of reminds me of a rough looking version of Insurgency, a game I have hundreds of hours into and that made my top games of 2014 list. Project Reality is a free game though, so a direct comparison isn't exactly fair.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

This game sort of reminds me of a rough looking version of Insurgency, a game I have hundreds of hours into and that made my top games of 2014 list. Project Reality is a free game though, so a direct comparison isn't exactly fair.

I like Insurgency but I think PR is a much better experience. A lot of Insurgency is just people running around, doing their own thing, sometimes talking to people over to coordinate attacks. PR really feel like a combined team effort. It offers a lot of options that Insurgency doesn't like player run mortar squads, all sorts of vehicles, and weapons/factions. It is a little rough in places because it is based on Battlefield 2, like when you jump you will kind of be stuck in an animation after you land for a second and sometimes sprinting into the back of another player can cause damage, but these are minor.

The Arma games are the best comparison to PR. To get the same team experience in Arma though you need to join a clan and then you will mostly be playing missions against bots.