Throw your Nintendo Switch in the trash! Kiddy Kong joining Nintendo Switch Online to ruin the platform on Dec 18!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I actually have no strong opinions about Donkey Kong Country 3 since I've never played it, but I know a lot of people hate the game.

Other games coming to the Swtich include from the SNES The Ignition Factor (a weird firefighter game); Tuff Enuff (a bad fighting game), Super Valis IV (an action platformer) and a single NES game, Nightshade, which is a janky 8 bit adventure game.

Honestly I was kind of excited about Nintendo Switch Online giving "free" games, and even more excited about them adding SNES games, but these selections are just...

DK3 makes sense, all jokes aside, but who the heck wants to play Tuff E Nuff in 2020! And Nightshade? There are so many classic SNES and NES games that aren't on the service, including many made by Nintendo themselves, that I just don't get it.

Anyway, with this the full SNES DKC trilogy is available so that's good, I guess. The overall library isn't bad per se, but the drip feed is so slow it's hard to get excited when every few months they offer up a handful of games and one of them is Tuff E Nuff.

TUFF E NUFF!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Weird choices. Honestly I wish Nintendo would stop focusing solely on the NES and SNES catalog. What I wouldn't give to play things like Golden Sun on the switch among many others.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza: I think everyone who cares about this thing wishes they would expand the platform and game selection, and they eventually will, but it's going to be a long time.

GBA games would be cool, N64 games would be cool, other platforms would be cool, but what I really want is a reasonable selection of good games that are still worth playing.

I like retro games and I play retro games but Tuff E Nuff is just completely worthless. Maybe someone has some nostalgia for it but I doubt more than a handful of people put over 15 minutes into it. I think one of the big problems is that the good games are being sold separately at this point, so stuff like the Mega Man X series or many of the Square RPGs are just hard to license because Capcom and Square want to sell their own versions of those games. Which leaves you with stuff like Tuff E Nuff. Which makes the service pointless.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By geirr

We just have the online service for AC and finding this post
reminded me I can play some NES and SNES games, so that's fun.
Also yes, these selections of new games are questionable at best.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

I sure did think I had played more DKC3 than I really had because I didn't recognize a lick of the gameplay they showed.

Moreover, I was pretty excited over that fire fighting game. Ignition Factor is a terrific generic name for a video game and even better when you learn the Japanese name for it is Fire Fighting. I guess Fire Fighting isn't exciting to American kids according to Jaleco.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By wollywoo

I'll go back and play this for sure. I remember saving up my money for months because I wanted it so bad on SNES, and it was only ever anywhere for like $70. I eventually got it on Wii Virtual Console. It's pretty good! Not as good as DKC1 or 2 for my money, but still worth your time for sure. It's probably the best looking of the three. My main complaint is that some of the music is bad although someother tracks are great.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DKC3 is a great video game.

potatispress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm kind of shocked the Spelunky 2 port is going to take that long!

mostboku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing they've put on either this entire time that got me excited was Mario Picross. I've played Super Mario World enough times in my life. It's a great game but I can't even vaguely act excited to have a thousandth way to play it. I could play Pokemon Snap on my Wii U but not my Switch. I could play WarioWare Inc on my 3DS but not my Switch. It's just not enough anymore to have the same old NES and SNES games.

ChrisZivko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, how often does Nintendo add games to the service? It doesn't feel like every month.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

The SNES options on Switch are BAFFLING, but I kind of love it???

I'm not thrilled about the lack of classics on it, but...I dunno, instead of giving us yet another platform to play the same 3 awesome classics on (I would still play through Earthbound or Crono Trigger again, don't get me wrong), we're getting truly strange offerings. Most of which are bad (Natsume Wrestling borders on unplayable, at least without a manual or tutorial) but honestly? That weird sci-fi cowboy shooter is fun! The truly bizarre beat-'em-ups are good for a laugh.

I don't play it often, but I'm glad it's there.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chriszivko: Every few months they add something. So the last time was in September of this year. It works out to about 3-4 games every 3-4 months.

It's definitely not enough.

@mostboku: They also put out the Super Nintendo Classic Edition in 2017 so a lot of these games specifically had a recent release for people who wanted to play them. Obviously Mario World has to be on the service, along with a lot of other staples, but the slowness of the releases coupled with how bad many of the released games are is a terrible value proposition. Like they finally translated the first Fire Emblem game but put it out as its own thing rather than putting it on the service, and meanwhile the service gets stuff like The peace Keepers and Brawl Brothers, which are both legitimately terrible games, and also two separate tennis games, which....

Both Super Tennis and Smash Tennis are good games for 16 bit tennis games but who is out there wanting to play that much 16 bit tennis on a system that possesses Mario Tennis Aces?

sandm0rph22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The next big thing is if they announced GBA library. I want Wario Land 4!

Turboaddiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a crime that they continue to not add Super Mario RPG to the service.

singing_pigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By singing_pigs

@turboaddiction: I assume that game must be trapped in rights hell with Square Enix. I find it weird how little that game has made it into any other Nintendo product, like Smash Bros.

Turboaddiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@singing_pigs: That's what I would assume as well, It did make its way to the SNES classic but I would actually play it through to completion if it was on the switch.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Hot take: Donkey Kong Country 3 is the best SNES Donkey Kong game.

CBHZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nophilip: I agree. Game is super underrated and people hate on the aesthetic but it controls great and the world map is actually kind of fun to traverse and discover secrets on. The secret levels are a pain, and frankly, that last world has stages that can go shove itself off a bridge, but the rest of the game is actually *chef’s kiss* delicioso!