Skyward Sword HD in 2020?

Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Poll Skyward Sword HD in 2020? (79 votes)

I'm in! 39%
Not needed... 61%

Would be on "NX" so no motion controls. (Hopefully)

I tried, but I forced myself to finish the first dungeon and can't continue.

• 
wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wallee321

I haven't played Skyward Sword, but the impression I got was that it would need to be a director's cut or trim some of the fat out of the experience. More like the Wind Waker re-release and less like TP hd.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd love to play it with ether no motion controls or actually working motion controls. It's a fun enough game, though no where near the best in the franchise.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might actually finish it if it didn't have motion bullshit

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my favorite Zelda game so I'd be down for a better looking version with some improvements like Wind Waker HD had.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By youeightit

As someone who literally just finished this game (Thursday), I'm going to bet that it will never get that rerelease because it's SO dependent on motion controls that are specific to that game. In order to play it with no motion controls they'd have to rebuild some areas and enemies and mini games completely from scratch. Motion controls aside, they'd also have to fix a lot of the non dungeon tedium, and they'd definitely need to work on some of that pacing; and judging by the fact that they didn't do anywhere near enough of that work on Twilight Princess, I don't think they'd do it right even if they did remake it. With all of the work that would be required and given the game's legacy in modern times, I doubt Nintendo would find all of the effort to be worth it. UNLESS...it's remastered for...VR.

That being said, I think it's a fine game in spite of its many problems and I'd love to see a remake someday.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, not in 2020 (why not sooner?) I didn't love Skyward Sword, but I think it'd benefit in HD. I had little issue with the motion controls (though I had a challenging time on the final boss for some reason). I liked Twilight Princess more, but I thought Skyward Sword would be a better HD re-release. If the game didn't use motion controls, I'd be interested to play it that way.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, if anything I'd say Skyward Sword is one of the few games that was really made for the Wii motion controller itself. I guess they could find a way to take that stuff out, but I imagine it'd be a lot more work than what went into the Twilight Princess re-release and it would likely lead to a radically different game experience (for better or worse, depending on how strongly you feel about the motion controls I suppose).

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who literally just finished this game (Thursday), I'm going to bet that it will never get that rerelease because it's SO dependent on motion controls that are specific to that game. In order to play it with no motion controls they'd have to rebuild some areas and enemies and mini games completely from scratch. Motion controls aside, they'd also have to fix a lot of the non dungeon tedium, and they'd definitely need to work on some of that pacing; and judging by the fact that they didn't do anywhere near enough of that work on Twilight Princess, I don't think they'd do it right even if they did remake it. With all of the work that would be required and given the game's legacy in modern times, I doubt Nintendo would find all of the effort to be worth it. UNLESS...it's remastered for...VR.

That being said, I think it's a fine game in spite of its many problems and I'd love to see a remake someday.

It's not as reliant on motion controls as you might think. The entire game is 100% playable on an emulator with a standard 360 controller.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh dear no

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: that's a good point. Not only that, but the 1080/60 footage of it running on dolphin looks incredible.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@youeightit said:

@ll_exile_ll: that's a good point. Not only that, but the 1080/60 footage of it running on dolphin looks incredible.

Yeah, I played the entire game that way, was a totally great way to play it. Sometimes the sword swings and stuff didn't always go the direction I wanted (maybe like 80% success rate), but from what I understand the same pretty much applied to those using the actual motion controls.

Still, I'd only imagine that an official conversion to conventional controls would be much better than the hacked in motionplus emulation, and like I said I thought that was a totally fine way to play the game anyway. The point is that there's nothing inherent to the game's design that prevents any aspect of the game from working on regular controls.

I feel like I actually ended up liking the game more than most people that played it with the motion controls, but I love pretty much every Zelda game, so take that how you will.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Good god I hope not, did not enjoy the time I spent with Skyward Sword

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Literally none of these HD remakes were very needed.

I had a totally fine time with Skyward Sword, but I feel no need to play it again with marginally better resolution. I didn't buy Super Mario 64 on the DS, nor did I buy Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask on the 3DS, nor do I intend to buy Twilight Princess HD. I technically own Wind Waker HD because it came bundled with my Wii U and that was somehow the only model of Wii U in stock when I went to buy one, but I still haven't dipped into it.

They're good games, but I'm not 9 years old anymore, and I don't have the time or interest in going around and playing through 20-50 hour games again just because they have a slightly nicer coat of paint on them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I ran out of steam near the end of that game the first time so I don't think I could go back again.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

Some people are motion control dyslexic. It always felt like a natural extension of my hands for me.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fnrslvr

Skyward Sword > Wind Waker. Come at me.

All I want wrt the motion controls is a button to be added which you hold when you're actually attacking with the sword. The motion controls worked really well for the sword, with the exception that when you had the make a left-to-right strike quickly, so you quickly brought the sword over to your left to start the appropriate motion, the game took the rapid preparatory bringing-the-wiimote-to-your-left motion and registered it as a right-to-left input, hence getting you electrocuted by the crazy enemy that requires a left-to-right strike to hurt. This is literally the only issue I encountered with the motion controls in the entire game. I tolerated it because apparently I'm one of the rare few saints around here to have the most basic capacity for patience or tolerance of imperfect things, but it'd be fixed by the addition of said "hold this button to make your motion register as a slash" feature.

But yeah, I'd play SSHD. It was a great game. Maybe I felt that WW and TP had been such letdowns (relatively speaking; they were better than other games by virtue of being Zeldas) that I was able to adjust my expectations and accept SS on SS's terms and enjoy a pretty solid content bucket.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I want Skyward Sword in HD, but I also want the motion controls. The motion controls are fucking fantastic. I'm not even a fan of motion controls, but Skwyard Sword nailed it and did a great job building its game for them. Taking the motion controls out sounds like a really dumb thing to do, like adding motion controls to Twilight Princess dumb.