Out on Friday!

simpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This seems to have been on its way forever, finally out everywhere on everything this week.

As I have lots of nostalgia for the original, which this is essentially a new version of, I'm hoping it's good fun.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was just talking about this game with some co-workers today.

I’m prepared for it to suck.

Just the graphics and audio work...I kinda wish they mimicked the 16-bit style and dirty-ass Genesis audio. What they’ve been showing seems...bad. I don’t think that game can look or sound modern and still be cool.

I still love the first ToeJam & Earl, even if every sequel and spin-off was grabage...

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By glots

Not available digitally for a bunch of European countries, including mine, which is pretty odd. Well, the PS4-version, that is. Could just buy it on PC or Switch, doesn't probably have crazy tech requirements. But I think I'll wait for the Quick Look.

simpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By simpo

@nutter, I hear you, it's a hard aesthetic to translate to modern games. Maybe like the Monkey Island remasters they could have had a button to switch to Mega Drive/Genesis style on the fly. But I'm setting the bar as a bit of co-op fun, and if it's anything better than that, then great. Co-op is where the original came into it's own, maybe this will too.

Plus the soundtrack, which is already on Spotify/Youtube, has all the classic tracks played with a real band, and it slaps. (Edit: Well there's synthesised instruments in there, but Iiiiiiii like it)

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By nutter

@simpo: Hmm...I’ll check out that soundtrack...I’m not giving into hope, yet, though.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, side A works fine. Side B was alright, for the bit I had time to listen too...some of the trailers have been obnoxious as hell, so I’m curious.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

So Macaulay Culkin is an executive producer on this game.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I got home late Friday night and managed to play the game for a bit.

I’m doing the tutorial world on the hardest difficulty (normal), and it’s Toejam & Earl.

It’s a little on the easy/boring side, and the stages are small, but I’m chalking that up to it being a tutorial. In any event, the music is great, the game is very much Toejam & Earl, and the art works better than even looking at a video prepared me for.

I still dislike the art, but in the moment it works. It seems to be a good call for the project. I think I’d still prefer something more lo-fi, but what they have all plays together nicely.

Looking forward to playing some co-op and playing the proper game with harder difficulty levels (and hopefully much larger maps).

I miss roads being a game changer while traversing a level...I hope I get that in the main game.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just played a few levels (just enough to get a feel for it) and I'm really liking it so far. I wish the procedural mode was available from the start, as that's the real meat of the game, but that's a small complaint. This is a perfect podcast game (once I've had my fill of the excellent soundtrack) and that's all I wanted. A weird-ass roguelite that fell out of the early 90s and smacked a few modern game design branches on its way down.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: I played up to level 11 or 12 with my daughter. Once we made it to level 10, we unlocked unlock random (the real game).

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@nutter said:

@shagge: I played up to level 11 or 12 with my daughter. Once we made it to level 10, we unlocked unlock random (the real game).

Oh, good! That won't take long. I thought I'd have to finish the run first.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm glad this exists for fans of the original. I wanted to like it back in the day but could never really get into it. In retrospect, the concepts could be viewed as ahead of their time.