Uncharted 4 sword fighting scene

AndyC80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For me nearly ruined the entire game. What a frustrating poorly built nightmare to an otherwise great game.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.......Yeah :/

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That scene was better than the 4 hours leading up to it. Going through that terrible swamped piratecity.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It was not the best of times, it was not the worst of times.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm the outlier cause I really enjoyed that whole set piece.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely atrocious. Died a stupid number of times and it completely ruined the moment. For something like that, why not just cutscene around failed attempts? It's sometimes okay to remove the ability to die when the story demands it.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By probablytuna

Fuck that scene. The only time where I wanted something to be a quick time event.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By odinsmana

I dunno. It was fine. I liked the idea of what they were going for even though the execution could have been better. I ended up not dying on it, so maybe that helped it for me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was fine, a lot easier than people make it out to be. Just took a while to get into it since it wasn't introduced before hand. I thought it was one of the better moments in the game, but i didn't care for 70% of the game that much and didn't feel it got good until the last few hours.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

En garde, dickhead.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

It wasn't difficult but I did think it was pretty lame.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was completely fine with it.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bigsocrates  Online

One of the reasons that Uncharted is inferior to Gears of War as a series (in terms of gameplay) is that it does not know how to do bosses. Uncharted 2 had the best boss fight of the series but even that was kind of lame.

The sword fight was lame, no doubt, but not much lamer than the other Uncharted bosses. It's just not what the series does well, so I accepted it as Uncharted leaning into its cinematic influences (which IS what the series does well) and pushed through. At least it only took me like 2 tries.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To clarify the dying thing... Once I did it "right" it was fine and it all made sense. But I think the lack of instruction and the busy environment makes it easy to get confused about what they want to happen. Just one of those things, I think. Frustratingly, the deaths occurred literally seconds before the cutscene kicked back in for me.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was fine, perfectly fitting ending. Also I didn't have any problems what so ever with it ?

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No it was totally fine for me and I actually liked it a lot

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looked great the only problem was once the player fucked up and died (which I did ) it sucks all tension and drama out of the scene

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bigsocrates  Online

It looked great the only problem was once the player fucked up and died (which I did ) it sucks all tension and drama out of the scene

Isn't that true of any boss fight or really any video game challenge outside certain horror games?

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I think in the context of the uncharted games it sucks way more because these games are crafted to be almost cinematic in certain moments so when that fails it's way more deflating than usual

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I think in the context of the uncharted games it sucks way more because these games are crafted to be almost cinematic in certain moments so when that fails it's way more deflating than usual

Well you must have REALLY hated the end of the first 2 games, i would rather have a 5 minute sword fight sequence to redo then a 10 minute bullet sponge battle.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I don't know about you guys but I died a bunch of times(3-5), and I would say the frame rate was one of the main causes of this. It was fucking abysmal for me, especially compared to the rest of the game. So with that and the new mechanics out of no where it was not an enjoyable time.

I'm with Brad in that 3/4 through that game I was tired of playing it and just wanted to experience the rest of the story. Definitely ND's best Uncharted game, but the first 3 aren't that good to begin with :p

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigsocrates  Online

Well you must have REALLY hated the end of the first 2 games, i would rather have a 5 minute sword fight sequence to redo then a 10 minute bullet sponge battle.

The boss of Uncharted 2 was their best boss. He is not that fun to fight but at least mechanically he is somewhat interesting and makes you use all the various skills you learned through the game. He is a pretty decent boss encounter in theory, though in practice I found him pretty annoying (but I don't like most boss fights.)

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

I heard somewhere that Sam would give you a little tutorial with the swords in the old lady house, but they cut it. While this would be better for gameplay (no longer comes out of nowhere) and story (Nate has to use what his brother taught him to save him), the old lady chapter suuuuuuuuuuked and spending another minute there would probably kill me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremyf: there were plenty of things that should be cut from that sequence and they cut the one useful gameplay tutorial? Unless i missed the part where you put stuff on your head and walk around lol. Man those character building sections were bad imo.

Avatar image for achillesforever
achillesforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I would feel pretty robbed if my Goonies inspired Pirate Uncharted game did not have a sword fight in the end. I feel like ND could never win with everyone in terms of final bosses. 1st one is a QTE with really tough soldiers and a weak gun, 2nd one is run away and shoot trees at the right time, third one is a okay QTE with some neat visuals, 4th one is a sword fight.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

@busto1299 said:

Isn't that true of any boss fight or really any video game challenge outside certain horror games?

Pretty much. This was me with the MGSIV final boss battle. That boss battle is an awesome, amazing sequence. Great music. So cinematic.

Unless you die two or three times doing it.

Then, it's still kind of great, but it loses a lot of what makes it great.

Avatar image for deactivated-987696
deactivated-987696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@andyc80 said:

For me nearly ruined the entire game. What a frustrating poorly built nightmare to an otherwise great game.

Sorry not sorry to say this, but, you suck at gaming. "Git gud" or go find a new hobby. Or maybe try again and go for that specific trophy that involves the final scene. I didn't, but even so, I did enjoy the ending of Uncharted 4. Peace out.

AndyC80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reputatsioon: yep I do, doesnt make that scene play any better though.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the kind've thing that seems cool in the moment but as soon as it doesn't work and you have to retry it (a few times) it totally sucks.

littlegirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if literally the last action scene of the game needs a tutorial it's very bad.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

Best boss battle in the entire series, and I loved it even though I died once. But yeah, I think it would have been perfect had there been a tutorial for it earlier.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It wasn't until recently that I found out people hated this section. I thought it was kind of cool, but I could definitely see that if you died to it, it would get very uninteresting very quickly.

It was totally an Indiana Jones moment, which that series is constantly going for, so I thought it fit right in and was kind of cool. Also from a story perspective I liked how there wasn't a tutorial simply because it seemed like Drake didn't really know how to fight, and was simply swinging his sword to not die.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have said here, didn't have a problem with it. Thought it was a good scene, didn't find it overly difficult, added to the drama when I did almost bite it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was incredibly frustrating. If I didn't already hate the game it might have ruined it for me.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

I guess I'm the outlier cause I really enjoyed that whole set piece.

I'm right there with you

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was the only good boss battle in the entire series. The parrying felt real good to me.