What would you with the Wii U if you ran Nintendo?

• 106 results
CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So if you ran Nintendo what would you do different with the Wii U? I think the Wii U is a good system that Nintendo has completely failed. Launch Titles (or at least first year games) should have been a new Mario Kart, a Metroid game, a proper new Zelda game, and a console Pokemon game. A Pokemon game would undoubtedly insure the success of the system. I know if I had money at the time I would have bought a Wii U to play a console Pokemon game. Then again I'm already planning on buying one.

I definitely wouldn't release Super Smash Bros at launch or even in the first year. It's definitely a second year game that would ensure the success of the system. Then there would have needed to be a new Starfox game this year. Starfox is still a popular franchise and it really puzzles me why Nintendo is taking so long to put out a new one or even say whether they will.

I also would not have made the Wii U so expensive. I think somewhere between $200-$250 would be a good price. That way Nintendo is still making a profit. As they said last year, the console only costs $150 to make. $100 for the gamepad and $50 for the system itself.

I definitely think a proper controller should have been released with it as well. But of course none of the above matters if the system is actually marketed well. I don't watch much TV and generally pay attention to commercials but I've only seen Wii U commercials a few times. I think Marketing is where Nintendo really screwed the pooch. Plus the name Wii U has caused so much confusion. They should have just called it the Revolution. It was an awesome codename for the Wii and it should be the Wii U's actual name.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#2  Edited By Slag

Well there's probably not much tech/hardware side that can be done at this point, so I'd focus on remarketing and rebranding it.

obviously the bring back dormant franchises (F-zero, Metroid, Starfox etc) sounds like the easy answer but I'm assuming Nintendo would be doing that already if they could.

first off I'd change the name to Wii 2. That's clearer to people that it's a new separate console not a Sega CD like add on but perhaps close enough to WiiU for those who get it. Then I'd take a page out of Nintendo's past and remarket it as a toy, try to find some ROB the robot type hook. Don't go after Sony and Microsoft's base which is older gamers

Maybe pay Activision and/or Disney big bucks to make Infinity and/or Skylanders exclusive to the platform if I could afford it. Or being Nintendo more likely they would make their own version, perhaps a Smash Bros where the characters are only unlocked by purchasing action figures. Maybe they could partner with Activision and Hasbro to Skylanders like versions of Gi Joe and Transformers. Or Mattel and Barbie. Something like that. One of Nintendo's big strengths is that parents trust their games and ecosystem with their young kids. They need to leverage that.

Then I'd try to partner with edutainment game companies and see if they will make game for the Gamepad. Maybe if enough success is had getting decent software made for it, try to cut deals with Schools to put some in their classrooms and computer labs.

Also I'd try to really make the online services between 3Ds and WiiU better integrated and more user friendly. I'd also change the selling philosophy of the eshop, really learn from Steam and find a way to create a low price perception careful discounting and aggressive sales. I think they'd have to be careful that they don't undercut new game too much, so they'd want to frontload incentives into paying full price. Either way, Nintendo may need the eshop to really function well if retailers start taking shelf space from them.

I'd also bring back the Wii but at a super bargain price (say like under 50 bucks) with no disc drive or gamecube compatibility and repackage as a party gaming machine. Have it come preloaded with motion control party games like Wii Sports and Wario Ware. Sell other titles through the eshop.

Then I'd look into some x-play potential for the Nintendo Classic games to help keep the Nintendo brands and games relevant to the widerstream gaming audience. Maybe see if I could find some way to make the e-shop accessible to android devices and iOS, so I could sell my products there but not devalue them by making to go head to head in the app store with hordes of free games. That's probably a longshot.

The idea being basically you want to people to still be in your ecosystem, playing your titles in some way. Because if they don't your audience will be much smaller the next time they try to launch new hardware. i.e. Today's kids may know Mario but tomorrow's might not care if they didn't grow up with him.

Nintendo I think had a lot of the right longterm ideas given Steam and mobile is changing games, they just didn't execute as well in selling the product as they normally do.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwhom

Pokemon Snap 2, then I'd let Intelligent Systems make whatever they wanna make for a couple years, also for no good reason I'd give Brownie Brown/HAL Laboratories (the Earthbound people) a 20 million dollar game budget and let them make some weird disillusioned shit. Also, every major franchise would be required to make a "paper mario thousand year door" style RPG, so paper kirby, paper samus, paper donkey kong, paper star fox. None of this would make any money but idc.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Platinum Wario Land would be pretty boss.

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Abandon ship!

It's been said a million times already but their marketing just sucks. Nobody knows what a Wii U is or why they would want one.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'd see how it does during the holiday first. That would determine just how bad a shape it is in. If it does Dreamcast numbers then it goes the way of the Dreamcast and I refocus on handheld. If it does OK then a price cut is required. If it does well then you can hold the line on price for the time being.

For software it needs more than just Nintendo's stable of horses. I'd see if Level 5 could pump out a Layton game, or even remake the original Layton trilogy. I'd try to get Sega to revive some of it's dead library, like Skies of Arcadia or Valkyria Chronicles. I guess that depends on how well Sega does with Bayonetta 2. Maybe let SquareEnix do something like Kingdom Hearts except with Nintendo characters instead of Disney.

Basically my strategy would be single player exclusives since: A. anything online multiplayer is going to be a shit show. B. only one person gets to use the cool controller so you might as well make a game just for that user. C. local multiplayer is fine but can't be a focus since so many people game alone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Four Swords.

micemoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rename it "Super Nintendo Wii"

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Like others have said, I would buy Platinum. I would allow them to have free reign to chose any franchise they want to work on and do with it as they please. I would also look toward other proven growing studios to buy and expand, like DrinkBox Studios. I would tell them to work on a side scrolling metroidvania Captain Falcon game. I would donate systems to events like Evo and CEO and take Smash Bros. I would then hire a new marketing team for the Wii U. I would use the money reserves and use it to buy full ownership of the Pokemon franchise and make something like Pokemon Snap U. I would also bring the free to play trading card game to the Wii U and make it compatible with people playing on PC. Change all the sports games from being called Mario to Nintendo. Nintendo Soccer, Nintendo Baseball, etc and have them all feature character from several franchises. I would then attempt to purchase exclusive rights to all Disney licensed games (minus Infinity) and make side scrolling downloadable games of them and release them on disc every three games or so. I would tell notch to cut the shit and bring minecraft to the system.

I would then cry when I realized that I had completely neglected the 3DS and several other factors and was totally destroying the company because I had no idea what I was doing.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Flappy

Melt it down and turn it into a new 3DS. People like those, right?

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gokaired

If i where Nintendo I'd bring back more franchises, not just ones they own like F-Zero but all the franchises that jumped ship like Street Fighter, or allow smaller devs to sell there games on their system. Or something. :/

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wholesale buy Platinum. They work on whatever they want for the WiiU exclusively.

Nintendo development goes to 3DS full steam ahead.

WiiU Becomes a Platinum Box, 3DS continues to print money

kamolahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'd let it die and pour money into R&D on a HD handheld that could beam to TV... take down the Vita with rockin library. An HD Nintendo console that was built to be portable but could look great on your big screen via stream or something.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I would first re-brand it. There's so much market confusion with it, some people don't even know it exists because they hear Wii and think its the same thing.

Second I would ditch the focus on the pad. The pad is nice but it's not a selling point. Focus on the games, exclusivity, and family friendliness of it all. Get some actual exclusives from third parties that aren't all about the game pad and instead are just a game a lot of people would want to play. I don't know what that is- I'm kind of surprised some of the Nintendo exclusive games haven't done it (maybe there really is market fatigue for Mario now- I wouldn't know I stopped playing Nintendo games 15 years ago).

If there were some other companies with family friendly games worth playing I think it could do. I cant stress enough the worth playing part though. There isn't a lot of that. The Wii had so much garbage-ware it may have dried up consumer goodwill, i don't know. Nintendo exclusive games still seem solid.

3DS would just keep on trucking. That seems to be doing fine. Who knows, maybe sales for WiiU will pick up next year. I really do feel at least some portion of it is market confusion (due to the name).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ripelivejam

@buneroid said:

Abandon ship!

It's been said a million times already but their marketing just sucks. Nobody knows what a Wii U is or why they would want one.

now this isn't the most myopic post i've ever seen in my life...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Change it's name regardless of whether it confuses people.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Darji

Get rid of Iwata and the whole boardmembers which are over 70.

Give Miyamoto a small studio with a decent amount of people but otherwise he should have no say in it anymore.

Develop a new Console which is being co developed with a lot of Publishers and Developers to actually listen to these people and their needs and with a modern system infrastructure. (Try it for a last time)

Console should have nothing to do with the Wii brand.

No Gimmick Controls

Make it clear that this has nothing to do with their handheld. Which means do not develop simultaneously for 3DS as well they do with smash brothers for example.

Secure some Studios like trying to buy Platinum to make games for them

Trying to hire people who know a lot about modern game design and also maybe even try to buy some Indy devs and gives them a own studio.

Develop new IPs for gamers and try to establish new characters

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel
@darji said:

Get rid of Iwata and the whole boardmembers which are over 70.

Give Miyamoto a small studio with a decent amount of people but otherwise he should have no say in it anymore.

Develop a new Console which is being co developed with a lot of Publishers and Developers to actually listen to these people and their needs and with a modern system infrastructure. (Try it for a last time)

Console should have nothing to do with the Wii brand.

No Gimmick Controls

Make it clear that this has nothing to do with their handheld. Which means do not develop simultaneously for 3DS as well they do with smash brothers for example.

Secure some Studios like trying to buy Platinum to make games for them

Trying to hire people who know a lot about modern game design and also maybe even try to buy some Indy devs and gives them a own studio.

Ageism, and belief that Nintendo doesn't already know anything about modern games. Good show. Really. Not really.

If I were in charge, I, like others, would offer to buy Platinum and allow them the creative freedom they thrive on. I would also reconfigure the advertising approach for the Wii U to get it more airtime, with ads that better detail what the console is and the benefits of the controller. I'd talk to third-parties about developing digital games in a Level 5-style Guild project to try out new IPs and explore the hardware at lower development costs, and work with more of them ala Atlus and SMTxFE to develop new exclusive titles. All while maintaining the current slate of 2014 titles like X, and each one would receive ample advertising.

Would my plan work? Heck if I know. Probably not. I'm neither a businessman nor have knowledge regarding Nintendo's budget and finances. They're things I'd like to see, though.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd stop making non-handheld hardware. It takes platform holders until nearly the release of the successive generation to start making a profit, and Nintendo lives by its ability to recycle and remix its classic titles. Take it all the way and be rid of the drain that is the TV game system.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The quick and dirty solution, I would stop selling the console with the pad included. It should be an optional add on and Nintendo should sell the console with the pro controller and maybe wiimote. This would allow them to lower the price to possibly $150 maybe $200. If a game demands they gamepad, they could bundle them. Like a Wonderful 101 bundle, etc.

Simultaneously they should launch a PR campaign selling the cheaper Wii U as the thing that plays the next Mario Kart, next gen Wii games, and all the Wii library. That would be appealing.

In secret they should work on the next iteration of the gamepad, which would launch as the next gen Nintendo handheld.

This may eliminate one of the biggest differentiators between the Wii U and all other consoles but consumers have spoken, nobody cares about the gamepad. I desperately want to play 3D world but not enough to buy a new console.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Some interesting ideas, but here's one that can work. How about full connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS? The Miiverse is a start, but get a unified online system and some games with cross-platform play. Make Smash Bros. that game that can be played across both platforms. Also, why not a Wii U/3DS super bundle for a reasonable price?

Also, buy Platinum and have them make F-Zero or Star Fox in the classic Platinum style. And that Pokemon MMO everybody wants. And some new IPs.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still wanna play shit on big TVs sometimes though guys. Like whatever the Galaxy team makes, RPGs in general, etc. A 3DS that projects to the TV, like the opposite of the WiiU, could be something. Someone said something like that already and that's really more of a "what does NIntendo do to follow up on 3DS in 5 years" thing. But look at where Sony and Nintendo are going, seems like the next step is something that you hold in your hands but you can stream it on the TV. But it'll be a while before something more powerful than the WiiU can be as small as a 3DS. But that does seem like where this all ends up. Apple might go the same route, maybe before Nintendo, but I think they both end up there.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Phases to make Nintendo a super awesome company instead of just 3x awesome like they are now.

1) I would take it out, and take the loss as a grown man.
2)Have the 3ds be the income for 3 years plus making and upgrading the online functions then start planing on a new console without gimmicks when tested the network fully. So that the new console is competitive in the Online space.
3) Announce the new console on a Nintendo direct instead of the usual e3 thing.
4) Have a simple name.
5) market the console to the teenagers and parents so its a friendly tool to have fun, but some 1st party games would be published like the vertigo comics. So that the fans can get so-called gripping games but mature at the same time.
6) ?
7) profit

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Darji

@hailinel: WE are talking about a company that

does not know how accounts on consoles should work

Does not know how online MP and how easy online should be

Does not know how important storytelling became

Does not know how important voice acting became for storytelling

Does the same games over and over but the gimmick they out in is a Catsuit.

So yes They do not know about modern Gamedesign at all. Their sense of design, and abilities seems to be stuck in the 90s. And that is why they need to hire people who actually understand these things.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: No, that's all you see, because you're so hyper-negative that you can't see anything positive in anything that they do, hardware or software related. You don't even try. Any time someone gives a counter-example, you start rambling about things like the average age of the board of directors, which has absolutely no effect on the quality of individual games or hardware. When you equate the Super Mario 3D World cat suit to a sign that the Mario series is sinking, you're being ridiculous.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji: No, that's all you see, because you're so hyper-negative that you can't see anything positive in anything that they do, hardware or software related. You don't even try. Any time someone gives a counter-example, you start rambling about things like the average age of the board of directors, which has absolutely no effect on the quality of individual games or hardware. When you equate the Super Mario 3D World cat suit to a sign that the Mario series is sinking, you're being ridiculous.

The board of directors and their age is bad for the company itself because they seem not to have any clue about the current market anymore. You should not forget that Japan is a traditional Japanese Company and the power these guys have in such a company is ridiculous. And yes they do not have anything to do with the individual games but with the console and how it should focus on etc they total have.

And Mario's importance is sinking more and more. And it has not even anything to do with their games but rather with the fact that young children to not grow up with Nintendo anymore but rather with Microsoft and Son or a IOS device. They can not catch the youth anymore like they could with the NES and SNES for example. The market has changed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fix account-side crap and actually have a modern fucking account system that everyone else in the world doing business on the internet uses in the year 2013. Completely blow your virtual console load and stop being so stingy with releases. Get nearly fucking everything on there and advertise the hell out of it. Substantial hardware revision that makes the gamepad optional and sells for $199, and go for a full-on rebranding. Super Wii, The Nintendo, The Home Gameboy, The Home-Boy, I don't care, just pick a catchy new name and millions marketing it.

And make a spectacle out of your machine. That's exactly what Microsoft and Sony did, and Nintendo ended up deciding to practically skip E3. That was one of the dumbest decisions they have made all year, in a year of horrible decisions. You have to make people excited about your shit. You can't just preach to the choir, because your choir is shrinking.

I caught a 3DS commercial on YouTube earlier today, and it was actually really awesome. (Here is the commercial, for those interested.) In contrast, every Wii U commercial has done a piss-poor job selling the virtues of the system itself, and are usually of the cringe-worthy "hyuck, hyuck, hyuck, we're a dumb average family!" variety. The 3DS commercial was, instead "Uh, we're playing on the 3DS because fucking Nintendo. Duh. It's for those good goddamn Nintendo games, you idiot."

Would all of this stuff, and more, make the system wildly successful? Almost certainly not. But at least it wouldn't be selling at Dreamcast levels.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, and were I Nintendo, I'd stop trying to make major cross-platform games. The 3DS is eating the Wii U's lunch. If you want more people to buy your home console, you can't give people cheaper, portable versions of the same games, because what do you fucking think they're going to choose?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By crithon

make it easier for third parties, BOOM! Nintendo's been horrible since the NES days

No Caption Provided

publishers faked a second party name in order to release more games but still had to go through Nintendo's orders.

Nintendo still feels it knows best, remember their big lecture on iphone games in one of their e3s a while ago.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I'd start dumping money into indie developers; big publishers/developers have left and probably won't be back in any meaningful way, indies will go anywhere they can, Microsoft stumbled into it and it made the 360 a big success and then Microsoft proceeded to piss them all off, Sony saw that opportunity and pursued it aggressively and are now viewed as the spot for indie developers. Nintendo needs that, indies will do interesting things with the touch controller, and they will bring a lot of games, precisely what Wii U needs. Say what you will about that Eternal Darkness sequel, Nintendo needed that game, and for the amount they were looking for I was amazed Nintendo didn't just top them off, Nintendo needs every game they can get for the next 2-3 years until they can get their next console out the door.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

The board of directors and their age is bad for the company itself because they seem not to have any clue about the current market anymore. You should not forget that Japan is a traditional Japanese Company and the power these guys have in such a company is ridiculous. And yes they do not have anything to do with the individual games but with the console and how it should focus on etc they total have.

And Mario's importance is sinking more and more. And it has not even anything to do with their games but rather with the fact that young children to not grow up with Nintendo anymore but rather with Microsoft and Son or a IOS device. They can not catch the youth anymore like they could with the NES and SNES for example. The market has changed.

Just stop, Darji. Just stop. Despite your perception of Japanese culture, corporate or otherwise, you don't know what it's like behind closed doors at Nintendo. You do not have an uncle that works there. Quit making assumptions that you can't back up. Aggression and force of personality are not going to win you any debates; they just make people tired of talking to you.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

make it easier for third parties, BOOM! Nintendo's been horrible since the NES days

No Caption Provided

publishers faked a second party name in order to release more games but still had to go through Nintendo's orders.

Nintendo still feels it knows best, remember their big lecture on iphone games in one of their e3s a while ago.

That wasn't "faking", actually. That was a loophole Nintendo allowed. And their stringent requirements on the number of games published a year back in the NES era was a necessary evil. The video game crash of the early '80s was a result of publishers flooding the shelves with absolute crap and the console makers of the time had no way to stem the tide from drowning the market. Nintendo's requirements forced publishers to release fewer games per year while demanding a minimum level of quality from their output. That's not being an asshole to third-parties. That's getting them to follow rules so that they don't screw the market up a second time.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#34  Edited By Yummylee

Microsoft and Son was my favourite sitcom from the 70s.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@hailinel: WE are talking about a company that

does not know how accounts on consoles should work

Does not know how online MP and how easy online should be

Does not know how important storytelling became

Does not know how important voice acting became for storytelling

Does the same games over and over but the gimmick they out in is a Catsuit.

So yes They do not know about modern Gamedesign at all. Their sense of design, and abilities seems to be stuck in the 90s. And that is why they need to hire people who actually understand these things.

You're right, they should pull 'real' game designers from companies that are all less successful than Nintendo so Nintendo can learn how to be less successful. Sure the last Mario Kart sold 3 times as much as the most popular COD but gee wiz they don't know what the important gamers want, and everyone knows a real gamers' dollar is more valuable. Just ask one, they'll tell you how important they are. They're so important they can look at wild success that didn't require their money and call it a failure. And recommend a company that's never made a hit game, Platinum, is somehow the key to Nintendo coming back from the depths. Gimme a break.

Guys, Nintendo's only hope is securing exclusivity to Atlus games. Why? Because I like Atlus games and things I like are Nintendo's only hope.

RichardQuarisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RichardQuarisa

It's been said before, and it's not pretty, but I'd support for a year or two before letting it die. I'd try to get out a radical ass Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, whatever before it died. You know, give it a proper send off. Then I'd focus on the handheld market. Oh, and make everything else multi-platform.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

No Caption Provided

That wasn't "faking", actually. That was a loophole Nintendo allowed. And their stringent requirements on the number of games published a year back in the NES era was a necessary evil. The video game crash of the early '80s was a result of publishers flooding the shelves with absolute crap and the console makers of the time had no way to stem the tide from drowning the market. Nintendo's requirements forced publishers to release fewer games per year while demanding a minimum level of quality from their output. That's not being an asshole to third-parties. That's getting them to follow rules so that they don't screw the market up a second time.

Okay, good point.

But right now, it an odd thing where they are just scaring everyone away in this fear of actually protecting quality. And now we have canival games, elf bowling and my pet horse 3d as their safe bets as third party games. I know I'm being sarcastic, but still I keep preaching to my friends "GO BUY TRINE 2, it's better then New Super Mario Bros Wii U." But somehow he paid money for Mario over a good indie game.

I don't know what to say, either it's nintendo's draconian's rules or just nintendo owners being stupid. Nintendo loves it's Mario Party money over it's cool niche indie games. I can't blame them from that, but seriously there should be no reason why Bastion, Super Meat Boy and Braid can't be on nintendo consoles. Toki Tori 2 and Rush are really good game but most nintendo owners laugh at it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

Okay, good point.

But right now, it an odd thing where they are just scaring everyone away in this fear of actually protecting quality. And now we have canival games, elf bowling and my pet horse 3d as their safe bets as third party games. I know I'm being sarcastic, but still I keep preaching to my friends "GO BUY TRINE 2, it's better then New Super Mario Bros Wii U." But somehow he paid money for Mario over a good indie game.

I don't know what to say, either it's nintendo's draconian's rules or just nintendo owners being stupid. Nintendo loves it's Mario Party money over it's cool niche indie games. I can't blame them from that, but seriously there should be no reason why Bastion, Super Meat Boy and Braid can't be on nintendo consoles. Toki Tori 2 and Rush are really good game but most nintendo owners laugh at it.

How are they scaring third parties away, though? Those rules that were so draconian in the '80s and '90s have loosened up a lot. Most if not all of those old restrictions are a thing of the past. If third parties aren't able to sell their games as well on Nintendo platforms, they need to learn how to market better for those platforms. There comes a point where the fault of a third-party's failure on Nintendo hardware (or any hardware) is their own.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

1. rename it the Super Wii
  2. Advertise it as a cheaper alternative to the $400+ competitors
  3. Fix the account level stuff and have downloads be attached to your profile and not the system
  4. Go crazy on the virtual console (why the fuck is Donkey Kong 64 not on there?)
  5. Find a way to connect a 3DS to it
  6. One of Each: Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby
  7. Release a version with only the pro-controller
  8. Create a new character, a new franchise and advertise it as new Mario
  9. Pokemon on console, if you want to save the WiiU, you have to do it, sorry producer guy who said never.
  10. Step 10 includes rolling in giant pits of money
crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

Okay, good point.

How are they scaring third parties away, though? Those rules that were so draconian in the '80s and '90s have loosened up a lot. Most if not all of those old restrictions are a thing of the past. If third parties aren't able to sell their games as well on Nintendo platforms, they need to learn how to market better for those platforms. There comes a point where the fault of a third-party's failure on Nintendo hardware (or any hardware) is their own.

I don't know, why exactly is Call of Duty Ghost not on Wii U? In one form or another, they are scaring away even the publishers with the most resources to make Wii U games.

But like, it's awesome steamworld dig and gunman clive came out on 3DS eshop, but they might make more money on steam or ios.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Crazy Colors - all the crazy colors you can imagine, yes even turquoise.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@hailinel said:

@crithon said:

Okay, good point.

I don't know, why exactly is Call of Duty Ghost not on Wii U? In one form or another, they are scaring away even the publishers with the most resources to make Wii U games.

But like, it's awesome steamworld dig and gunman clive came out on 3DS eshop, but they might make more money on steam or ios.

Uh...Call of Duty: Ghosts is on Wii U. What are you talking about?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: sigh, forgot what I'm saying dude, I'm on my third beer right now. Playing animal crossing, and doodling kk slider sketches on Miiverse.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Price drop on the hardware, game wide drop in price so all first party games are $10-$20 cheaper than the ps4/x-box3 to entice people, and then go door to do to every 3rd party developer and offer free blowjobs because god fucking damn does Nintendo need third party support and they need to do whatever it takes to get people making games for their shit. If this thing stays as nothing more than shovelware and Nintendo milking the same games every 6 months then this thing is going no where. All they can do with that mindset is keep the Nintendo crazy fanboys but they are not going to draw in anyone else.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Have Nintendo buy indie darling Sony, and make so many free-to-play games, exclusively on mobile, you wouldn't even know what to do with them.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#46  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Make an HD online F-Zero in the vein of GX, take no responsibility when it doesn't turn the console around, and then play the shit out of that game. Also I'd implement mandatory online and matchmaking for Virtual Console games that have multiplayer and then get Mario Party 2 to be released on VC.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny_says: Super Wii... Clever. I like that.

1. Rename it the Super Wii.
  2. Completely demolish the UI and create a brand new UI which is far cleaner and simpler like the XMB.
  3. Make the system have accounts similar to other systems where all your stuff is linked to your account.
  4. Redo the 3DS UI to match new Super Wii UI.
  5. Add a port on the Super Wii where you can pop in your 3DS games and play them on the big screen.
  6. Add ability to link 3DS and use it as a controller.
  7. Create a bunch of new IP's that have actual staying power instead of just make another damned Mario game...
  8. Create a Zelda game which takes place in a Cyber Punk Future. Mecha Epona.
Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By Hunter5024

I think if they could have released all the games you mentioned, then they probably would have. I'm just going to focus on what I would do from this point on. For starters I would agree with a lot of the people in this thread that some rebranding is necessary. It shows a lot of the unsatisfied gamers that they're recommitting themselves to the system, and it avoids the confusion that's been plaguing the system since the announcement. Also getting a new name out there (especially something like Wii 2), could potentially really excite the people who have no idea this exists. I'd also do some work on the Nintendo ecosystem. Make it so buying into both the 3ds and the Wii U makes a lot of sense. Cross platform virtual console, streaming 3ds games to your tv, and unified accounts would go a long way.

On the software side of things its just a matter of sheer numbers. Get that new Zelda game out asap, pump out as much virtual console stuff as possible, just get some games out, new franchises classic franchises, doesn't matter, as long as they're good and they're exclusive. I'd also stagger the release of the Smash Bros games, 3ds doesn't need the boost in sales as bad, so have it come out a few months later, hope for a few extra Wii sales. Maybe release big Super Luigi U style level packs every year, the assets are already there, and as I understand it 2d Mario stuff always does really well in Japan, so that might be a cheap easy way to add new stuff.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@darji said:

@hailinel said:

Just stop, Darji. Just stop. Despite your perception of Japanese culture, corporate or otherwise, you don't know what it's like behind closed doors at Nintendo. You do not have an uncle that works there. Quit making assumptions that you can't back up. Aggression and force of personality are not going to win you any debates; they just make people tired of talking to you.

I know how traditional Japanese Companies which Nintendo certainly is, are working. And if you believe me or not is not really my concern. What I wrote was what I would have done nothing else. I answered the question. But as you said yourself you don't know if your stuff would succeed and so do I not know but this is what I would have done.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

At this point it looks like there's no way Nintendo is going to get decent 3rd party support. So I'd take the mountain of Wii money I was sitting on and just start buying up studios and put them to work on Nintendo exclusives. At this point the goal isn't necessarily to win the console war or make a huge profit, the main goal is to re-build the Nintendo brand to the stature it once had, so we can make major profits with the next system. I'd use all those studios I just bought to bring back old forgotten franchises:

• New Star Fox
  • New F-Zero, with substantial online play
  • Doki Doki Panic sequel starring Wario & Waluigi
  • Super Metroid sequel
  • Buy the ZombiU property and make another one
  • Buy Avalanche Studios and have them make Just Cause 3. (That UPF last night was amazing)
  • Buy SNK and have them make Windjammers 2
  • Endless Ocean sequel in HD
  • Spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness
  • Spiritual successor to GoldenEye 64
  • New Pilotwings I guess
  • New WaveRace I guess
  • Majora's Mask sequel of some kind. It doesn't really have to be a Zelda game.
  • Make some kind of SimCity game using the Wii U tablet. You could manage the city with the tablet and run around your own city doing missions on the big screen. Or something. SimCity on the SNES was awesome.
  • Mario Paint sequel. I mean DUH.
  • Re-make Duck Hunt as some kind of serious hunting sim.
  • Re-make Balloon Fight as some kind of real 3D fighting game. It would be like Tekken.... with balloons.
  • Re-make Urban Champion as some kind of open-world street fighting game. Or something.
  • Re-make StarTropics as some kind of serious WRPG-type game.

Also, when the EA's exclusive NFL license for video games comes up for renegotiation, go in and out-bid EA by like 20x their normal fee. Every football fan who buys Madden would then have to buy a Wii U. Then you could negotiate an exclusive deal with the US military so that Call of Duty is only published on Wii U.

There's no guarantee that any of my ideas will work and there's a very good chance it would bankrupt the company within three months. But we would go out in a stupendous blaze of glory.