selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

Microsoft has made its first stab at an ad / slogan for the Xbox One;

No Caption Provided

When I first saw this, I thought it made sense but wasn't catchy at all. Just a pretty poor play at trying to convince people that they were making a strong push for being Input 1 - and missing the point of E3 being about the games.

BUT that was until I started reading reactions around the net, including here on GB, with people not even getting what the damned thing meant (especially from people with English as a second or third language). Essentially - that's the definition of a TERRIBLE ad campaign.

For those interested, here is my explanation of what the above means - though the fact that I felt the need to write this is a statement in and of itself. (quoted from the E3 CBoaT leak thread)

"Input one" refers to the 1st input on your tv. It comes from the days when all we had were AV1, AV2, etc - before tv inputs became comparatively complicated with like 4 different types of cables.

It is traditionally the case that cable-boxes are considered "input 1" because they were plugged into that input for most people in the states and other places where cable is the primary form of TV. As such, when this generation of consoles came out (PS3/360) and ever since (eg. Apple's moves with the Apple TV), in tech circles, those devices are frequently considered to be in a war with cable boxes over "who gets to be input-1", ie who gets to be the default input people leave their TVs on.

Theoretically, being "input 1" (think of the phrase now in more of a metaphorical term for a person's default input) is a very profitable position to be in, because you essentially control all of their media consumption habits on that TV.

So, essentially what the ad is saying is;

• Xbox One will be your primary input (...because it incorporates your cable box's features), or
  • Xbox One will replace your cable box, or
  • Xbox One is all you'll ever need

Of course, the 2nd answer is simply untrue, but MS would like for people to think it is the case. Either way, I believe the first answer above is most likely the meaning of the ad.

So, what do you think of MS's first XBone ads?

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's shit

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think I'll wait to see what their whole campaign is. Their pitch of it might make more sense, and this one ad may just be part of a series of ads directed at each aspect of the console. Considering the "All in one" nature of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple versions of this same ad with different plays on it, referring to the various ways in which it is the only "one" you need.

jonasc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jonasc

Oooooh, I get it now. When I first saw that picture, I couldn't figure out what it meant.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

INPUT ONE WHAT AND WHERE?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

I think they're ONEderful. Ha. Geddit.

Never mind; I'm just going to leave this thread :(

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benpicko said:

It's shit

Weird. I was going to say this exact thing.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder said:

I think they're ONEderful. Ha. Geddit.

Never mind; I'm just going to leave this thread :(

Haha - nope, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for :D

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I'll slide my Xbone into your Input One, if you know what I mean.

...I'll see myself out.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By NekuCTR

The problem with it is that it isn't catchy or creative. It's literally two statements that are lazily associated in a way that conveys absolutely nothing. It's bad.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Should of just been

"All In One"

Xbox 1

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should of just been

"All In One"

Xbox 1

I think this was its slogan before or something.

sowingshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a silly slogan and not a particularly good one at that, but is it absolutely necessary to dissect/mock every move Microsoft makes?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaggE

That's terrible. It took me five or six re-reads before I thought "Ah, Input 1! I see what they did".

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stratesfear said:

It's a silly slogan and not a particularly good one at that, but is it absolutely necessary to dissect/mock every move Microsoft makes?

Well, no, but I have about 10 or so hours to wait for the conference and it's raining outside so I'm trying to find ways to spend my time :D

Also, there was legitimate confusion as to the meaning of the ads - so I felt I could be of some help.

sowingshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stratesfear said:

Well, no, but I have about 10 or so hours to wait for the conference and it's raining outside so I'm trying to find ways to spend my time :D

Also, there was legitimate confusion as to the meaning of the ads - so I felt I could be of some help.

Fair enough.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coafi

I was hoping they would've gone with "One of us.". I know it makes no sense. But, it's almost the same as this one.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By MariachiMacabre

M...my Xbox is on Input 2, I think. Am I not allowed to play Xbox One now?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ares42

Keep digging MS, eventually the "One" name will become great if you do.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I have no idea what input my 360, Wii, and PS2 are currently set to. I just keep hitting the "input" button until it's on the right one. Actually, I put custom names for my inputs (my tv lets me do that) so there is not input this or that. It's the name of the thing that's hooked into it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is "All in one. Input one." is stupid as hell.

I say "Have it done with Xbox One." What do you want done? Ask Xbox One. Hey Xbox, can I let me friends borrow my copy of Halo 5? No? Okay.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I have no idea what input my 360, Wii, and PS2 are currently set to. I just keep hitting the "input" button until it's on the right one. Actually, I put custom names for my inputs (my tv lets me do that) so there is not input this or that. It's the name of the thing that's hooked into it.

So true. I'd honestly forgotten that the "input 1" phraseology is largely out-dated nowadays when I first saw the ad.

Heck, even if you can't rename your inputs they end up look like the TVs in my house: AV1/2, HDMI1/2/3/4, S-Video, Component 1/2

There are 3 "Input 1"s on that listing - and that's on our smaller tv.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@you_died said:

@tourgen said:

@benpicko said:

It's shit

The main issue is that this theoretical "battle of who gets to be on Input 1" A) Doesn't exist and B) isn't a well known problem, as even TV's made in the 70's and 80's normally had at least 2 inputs, so who fucking cares if a particular device is on the first input or not. The input buttons are right next to each other. In fact, most of the time you can just press the A/V button and cycle through them.

So... it's just completely thoughtless.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

One for all and all for One?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By colourful_hippie

@hailinel said:

I'll slide my Xbone into your Input One, if you know what I mean.

...I'll see myself out.

and stay out!

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...it's something I guess. Didn't the xbox 360 have a few slogans too? I remember 'Jump In' being one of them

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giggity.

And I don't really give a shit. It's clever, not very catchy, and it will likely fly over the average minded fellow's head.

I thought the slogan would be something like "The only ONE" or just "The One."

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say, at least their ads don't have a creepy baby in it.

... yet.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred said:

...it's something I guess. Didn't the xbox 360 have a few slogans too? I remember 'Jump In' being one of them

I actually really like "Jump In" - it combined well with their swirl aesthetic (kinda reminded me of swirling water).

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My Australian mind got nothing from that at all. The first instant my brain processed it all I got was "Xbox One, put One inside of you". Now I get what they're going for, but thinking on it with that in mind all I get is "Xbox One, Coaxial Port".

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33 chaser324  Moderator

@stratesfear said:

I've actually been fairly supportive of Microsoft thus far (or at the very least tried to be patient and rational), but I'll admit that when I saw this I just didn't get it. I'm sure the executive that thought it up thinks it's clever, but it's not clever in a way that I think will stick with people.

Hopefully MS will adopt a cleaner and simpler slogan for their mass marketing campaigns that will probably begin in a couple of months.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@truthtellah: well.. You need to input one to made one

Oh Microsoft made a new all-in-one, does it have office?

--------

I didn't get the second part at all. Also input 1 on my tv is the scart connection..

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TruthTellah

@chaser324 said:

@stratesfear said:

I've actually been fairly supportive of Microsoft thus far (or at the very least tried to be patient and rational), but I'll admit that when I saw this I just didn't get it. I'm sure the executive that thought it up thinks it's clever, but it's not clever in a way that I think will stick with people.

Hopefully MS will adopt a cleaner and simpler slogan for their mass marketing campaigns that will probably begin in a couple of months.

I'm guessing his concern was just with how people seem to have the need to make a new forum topic dissecting or mocking every little thing Microsoft is doing with the Xbox One. It has almost gotten to the point where mentioning any interest in it draws angry or mocking responses. It seems like people online, including here on Giant Bomb, are going a little nuts with it.

I mean, sure, this one ad is kind of lame, but did we really need a whole post just for people to trash on it? It's not like it's the first console or game ad to be kind of confusing or odd.

I'm unhappy with a lot of the Xbox One as it stands right now, too, but after a certain point of people harping on every little thing, you almost get some sympathy and think, "Man, maybe people are overdoing it..."

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred said:

I actually really like "Jump In" - it combined well with their swirl aesthetic (kinda reminded me of swirling water).

I'm not too fond of 'Jump In' but I liked when brands had identity. Shame Apple changed all that and now we're stuck with flat text and solid colours. Hell, even microsoft windows got rebranded to shits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

THREE WILL ENTER.

ONE WILL LEAVE.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna input one in a paper bag on Microsoft's doorstep.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@truthtellah: well.. You need to input one to made one

Oh Microsoft made a new all-in-one, does it have office?

--------

I didn't get the second part at all. Also input 1 on my tv is the scart connection..

Wait, your TV has a scart connection?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@truthtellah: I don't disagree with that sentiment. A lot of people do seem to feel the need to make a spectacle of even the tiniest missteps Microsoft is making right now. It is a bit annoying seeing so many individual posts on NeoGAF turned into full-fledged threads over here (not necessarily meaning this thread specifically, but just in general).

Come tomorrow though, it won't matter. All of these threads are going to get pushed deep into the forums buried under E3 news.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ogred said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@ogred said:

I'm not too fond of 'Jump In' but I liked when brands had identity. Shame Apple changed all that and now we're stuck with flat text and solid colours. Hell, even microsoft windows got rebranded to shits.

Not only that - in the early days, those solid colour/flat text ads from Apple at least used to have awesome music and cool visuals. Now it's just [Statement].

I mean, I really love some of the personality here (and the song);

Loading Video...

But if I were to choose my favourite ads of all time, it would be one of those crazy expensive Sony ads from back in the day;

Loading Video...

But that isn't to say that these ads translate well to a static image, of course.

Still - I do miss colour and personality.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By OGred

Still - I do miss colour and personality.

Me too. I don't know what happened :{ I guess it allows for easier branding and stamping

No Caption Provided

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: I don't disagree with that sentiment. A lot of people do seem to feel the need to make a spectacle of even the tiniest missteps Microsoft is making right now. It is a bit annoying seeing so many individual posts on NeoGAF turned into full-fledged threads over here (not necessarily meaning this thread specifically, but just in general).

Right? I don't think I've ever seen so many Giant Bomb forum posts about NeoGAF posts.

Many members complain about the staff becoming a bit jaded, but damn, man. It seems like members are even more jaded recently, feeling like they -need- to crap on things. I mean, E3 starts in a few hours! And yet it still feels like everyone's just angry or disappointed, lusting for the next thing to complain about. It's E3. I'm excited, because I like videogames. Videogames are pretty nifty. But wading through the forums right now, it seems like it could drive any excitement out of you.

I fear for whether this long day of press conferences will just bring more griping, and I'm starting to wonder whether Giant Bomb is really the place I want to share my thoughts on what happens today.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@chaser324 said:

Right? I don't think I've ever seen so many Giant Bomb forum posts about NeoGAF posts.

Many members complain about the staff becoming a bit jaded, but damn, man. It seems like members are even more jaded recently, feeling like they -need- to crap on things. I mean, E3 starts in a few hours! And yet it still feels like everyone's just angry or disappointed, lusting for the next thing to complain about. It's E3. I'm excited, because I like videogames. Videogames are pretty nifty. But wading through the forums right now, it seems like it could drive any excitement out of you.

I fear for whether this long day of press conferences will just bring more griping, and I'm starting to wonder whether Giant Bomb is really the place I want to share my thoughts on what happens today.

To be fair, people who go to gaming forums REALLY LIKE games. For people who really like games, all this Microsoft DRM shit is VERY disconcerting, as it feels like our hobby is about to take a real bad turn. With all the stuff that's going on, I can totally see why everyone is freaking out and being cynical. For a lot of people, there isn't much to be excited about. Will there be new games? Sure, but that happens every year. You couldn't pay me to be excited this year with the ugly cloud that is the XBONE/PS4 uncertainty hanging over everything. But by all means, continue to be personally excited and if you feel like GB isn't positive enough for you, seek out those who agree with you.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Darson

IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may be shit but it got all you fuckers talking about it over a more generic slogan.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All in one - all your entertainment needs and devices in one.

Input one - And you only need one form of input to control it all.

That's what I got out of it, why such a big deal about a banner?

@truthtellah: I don't disagree with that sentiment. A lot of people do seem to feel the need to make a spectacle of even the tiniest missteps Microsoft is making right now. It is a bit annoying seeing so many individual posts on NeoGAF turned into full-fledged threads over here (not necessarily meaning this one specifically, but just in general).

It is starting to get really old seeing people try to mock or over analyse everything Microsoft is doing. Some ads or marketing is not meant for us (assuming hardcore gamers here), some are taken out of context and yes, some are flat out misses, that's advertising/marketing for you. Meanwhile Sony just sits there gaining positive reputation by not saying anything.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TangoUp

It's quite fitting that the slogan needs explaining just like all the other byzantine features on the Xbone.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ohhh, inputs like on your TV, I didn't even make that connection. Well okay, that makes sense, but yeah, it's not great if it needs to be explained. It's probably because I barely even think about it and don't really rank the things hooked up to my TV by what input they're connected to. :P

Not a big deal, but yeah.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#50  Edited By ManMadeGod

@supamon said:

All in one - all your entertainment needs and devices in one.

Input one - And you only need one form of input to control it all.

That's what I got out of it, why such a big deal about a banner?

@chaser324 said:

@truthtellah: I don't disagree with that sentiment. A lot of people do seem to feel the need to make a spectacle of even the tiniest missteps Microsoft is making right now. It is a bit annoying seeing so many individual posts on NeoGAF turned into full-fledged threads over here (not necessarily meaning this one specifically, but just in general).

It is starting to get really old seeing people try to mock or over analyse everything Microsoft is doing. Some ads or marketing is not meant for us (assuming hardcore gamers here), some are taken out of context and yes, some are flat out misses, that's advertising/marketing for you. Meanwhile Sony just sits there gaining positive reputation by not saying anything.

It seems to me that some "gamers" have been building up a dislike of MS ever since the Kinect launched. The Xbox One is just an excuse for them to rip on every little bit of information they can find.

At the end of the day......... video games. Nothing to get worked up over.