Mouse & Keyboard aficionados, did you play this w/ gamepad?

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JouselDelka

I'm asking the people who use M&KB even for controller-friendly games, such as Skyrim because they like having 9 hotkeys and customized buttons, and for Arkham games and Assassin's Creed because they like to aim the camera swiftly using the mouse and feel joy inside when they tap the space bar.

I'm asking the people who even played Mirror's Edge with M&KB because you can aim at the walls and ledges with precision.

I don't mean to be snobby with this introduction, I'm not saying M&KB is better, I'm saying that I'm asking the aficionados :)

So, to you guys, did you play Enemy Unknown with beloved M&KB or is the controller truly what the game is meant to be played with? Because I heard M&KB is inferior in this game.

Thanks!

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse and keyboard is fine, works perfectly well.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

KB&M was fine.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm stubborn to the extent that I'm still holding off buying a controller for my PC to this day. I rarely find M&KB truly problematic personally so keep that in mind. That said, XCOM is very playable with M&KB. There are some UI issues with the different heights/ layers but I don't think a controller would solve that. Other than that it's intuitive and easy save for the occasional concession for consoles (clumsy inventory, soldier selection) that could be better if it was designed purely for the PC but isn't.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

It is not a game designed for controller. Using a controller works fine, but it's in no way superior (unless you insist on not learning like 3-4 hotkeys).

This is coming from a guy that will play most games with a mouse, unless it's obviously better with a controller.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jimbo

Pad for AC and Arkham. The combat is designed with a pad in mind.

M&K for XCOM, Skyrim, Mirror's Edge. Wouldn't even cross my mind to play these with a pad.

NicksCorner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By NicksCorner

I did it with M&K. It worked pretty well. Only had a few instances where the select box and my cursor would disagree.

One was in an elevated corner inside a warehouse and the other in one of the alien bases.

I recognize the skill needed to pull off an UI suitable for both control schemes and I didn't felt led down by my controls.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bell_End

i want to know how to become a keyboard aficionado.

are there forms to fill out or any tests to take?

or is it a self appointed title?

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Played XCOM for the first time last month with M&K. The only problem I recall with the UI was with the Psi Testing chamber (could only fit 2/3 people inside it). Might've been a bug.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

You might say I'm a gamepad aficionado and I played the game with mouse and keyboard so take that as you will.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm stubborn to the extent that I'm still holding off buying a controller for my PC to this day. I rarely find M&KB truly problematic personally so keep that in mind. That said, XCOM is very playable with M&KB. There are some UI issues with the different heights/ layers but I don't think a controller would solve that. Other than that it's intuitive and easy save for the occasional concession for consoles (clumsy inventory, soldier selection) that could be better if it was designed purely for the PC but isn't.

wow! controllers have been around for the PC for about 15 - 20 years so to hold out this long is AMAZING.

i broke about 10 years ago and bought a MS sidewinder controller for a few games and then splashed out £20 in a wired 360 controller.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Surely it's better with M+KB? I played the whole game that way and didn't even consider a controller which I would usually use for non-FPS games on PC.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pad for Arkham Asylum, M+KB for Mirror's Edge reporting here. I liked pad better for XCOM, but mostly for the fact that my explosives targeting totally spazzed out every single time I tried to use them with a mouse. I suspect this might have had something to do with how I like my mouse sensitivity (very high), but it was usable and at an appropriate sensitivity in every other aspect of the game, so I wasn't going to fuck with the sensitivity just for that. Other than that, I think the pad performed just about the same as the keyboard. I want to say it was missing some aspect of the zoom, which I would have preferred to have, and hotkeys for unit actions, which I didn't miss.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

XCOM is a strategy game so of course I used KB+M.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I played XCOM through with a gamepad, actually. It worked pretty surprisingly well. I normally play games like that with a keyboard and mouse, too.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I started with KB+M but found it a little too many button presses for my liking; the controller, on the other hand. is more simple and thus quicker to make tactical choices.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I don't play everything with KB&M. I plugged in a controller to play Remember Me, I'm not a monster. That said, anything from a first-person perspective and XCOM are KB&M games.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

@bell_end said:

@baal_sagoth said:

wow! controllers have been around for the PC for about 15 - 20 years so to hold out this long is AMAZING.

i broke about 10 years ago and bought a MS sidewinder controller for a few games and then splashed out £20 in a wired 360 controller.

True! My genre preferences play a big part in that admittedly. I'm pretty strategy, tactics and RPG obsessed. Add in the occasional FPS like Battlefield and all of that works very smoothly or even better with M&KB. Only third-person titles like Tomb Raider games etc. have their quirks and flaws on occasion. The only game I own that was nigh unplayable without a controller, even with my habits, is X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

I do of course use controllers a fair bit when playing with friends on their respective consoles, just not when I play at home on my own PC.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By gaminghooligan

Depends on the game. Mark of the Ninja, I had to use the game pad because I couldn't get the mouse stuff down. Skyrim's endless inventory and menus are best navigated by M&KB. In Xcom, since I named all my dudes and customized them into my own alien killing GI-Joe, I preferred M&KB.