Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 5

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

Forza Motorsport's debut on the Xbox One.

Free Play...More Like Restricted Play, amirite? Inexcusable

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Has Turn 10 come out and explained at ALL why Free Play is completely useless now? I was willing to give them a pass on the fact that FM5 has less modes, less cars, and less tracks because its a new console. I was even willing to accept that you couldn't earn XP on Free play so that they can push micro-transactions for XP Boosts, because hey, its 2013. But to go to the extent that they did and limit the cars you can 'rent' so that you'd have to buy tokens for the cars that people actually want to use, is way too far. Even worse, you can't buy tracks to use in Free Play, so why limit them at all?

The thing that sold me on FM5 was the inclusion of the Lotus F1 car. I installed it last night thinking, well I won't get deep into career mode yet, but let me load up the car in free play on Spa or Bathhurst or something and just have some fun. NOPE. Want to use the F1 car? Grind out 6 MILLION credits in career, or buy TEN THOUSAND tokens. That's like $50....RIDICULOUS.

(PS - you don't earn cars in career anymore, only credits...so to even build up your garage for free play requires even more grinding - Free to Play for $60, folks).

I knew there were limitations with the content of the game, but I did not inform myself enough on this aspect. That's my fault for trusting Turn 10 after 4 other wonderful games, I guess. First purchase mistake of the generation.

Anyone who enjoys Forza casually to fire up a favorite track and car, be warned. And this is coming from someone who does grind out the career on every forza game, but every now and then wants to load up a fun mix of car/track. Really sad.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Evilsbane

Yea I was confused when the crew were playing it and brought up the rental stuff and it was a very small list of cars, why limit that at all oh wait...we know why.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Seppli

The whole industry seems to be whale-hunting these days. Fucking whales! Investment bankers and Saudi princes and what have you, with indecent amounts of walking around money and poor impulse control. Ruin everything!

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

ugh really? That sounds fucking disgusting. No thanks.

Looks like Forza took a... turn for the worse.

Pink_o_mat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pink_o_mat

Is every single 60$ game free to play now?! Fuck...

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

try this in the meantime

Loading Video...
    HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HerbieBug

@pink_o_mat said:

Is every single 60$ game free to play now?! Fuck...

I derive a certain degree of morbid humor out of how smoothly certain parts (and companies) of the game industry have moved from Free To Play to Pay To Play and now something I would like to call Pay To Pay. >.<

Incidentally, F1: 2013, while technically last gen now, is awesome. Check that game out. It deserves more love. AND it has weather effects. Because i guess weather is hard to do now or something. It releases in NA region for consoles next week.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

try this in the meantime

Wow - will see if this still works tonight. Maybe Turn 10 needed the micro-transactions so badly that they can't afford to patch it ;) haha.

This has to be easily the #1 complaint about this game - It does make me wonder if it was Turn 10 or MS that pushed for micro-transactions. Maybe Turn 10 is the good guys and if they are aware of the glitch they are trying to ignore it for fans? One can hope. On the other hand, if the complaints gets loud enough, maybe they will open up free play... I mean, what's one more 180 for Microsoft?

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Devildoll

@thiago123: yeah, initially, i thought this was pretty stupid, restricting the freeplay cars.

but, after thinking about it, it'll give a bit more meaning to people who actually play the game, that time when they pull out an incredible car in a mp lobby, people will react to it.
    On the other hand, the casual player looses the opportunity to just boot up their all time dream car right from the get-go.
    which is something that has been has been the norm, and its kind of odd to change it all of a sudden.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@thiago123: yeah, initially, i thought this was pretty stupid, restricting the freeplay cars.

but, after thinking about it, it'll give a bit more meaning to people who actually play the game, that time when they pull out an incredible car in a mp lobby, people will react to it.

On the other hand, the casual player looses the opportunity to just boot up their all time dream car right from the get-go.

which is something that has been has been the norm, and its kind of odd to change it all of a sudden.

That's some mumbo jumbo. The only thing it does is make people look at the person with the incredible car as someone who got duped into spending more money than they should on something meaningless. Merely by owning a car you are announcing to everyone else that you've been taken for a fool.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Devildoll
    @spraynardtatum said:
    @devildoll said:

That's some mumbo jumbo. The only thing it does is make people look at the person with the incredible car as someone who got duped into spending more money than they should on something meaningless. Merely by owning a car you are announcing to everyone else that you've been taken for a fool.

What do you mean more money than they should, have they hiked the ingame car prices up since forza 4?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Devildoll

@spraynardtatum:

i meant credits, not tokens, I'm not going to pay for something with tokens.
    I'm getting the cars by playing the game, as I've always done.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum:

i meant credits, not tokens, I'm not going to pay for something with tokens.

I'm getting the cars by playing the game, as I've always done.

I'd read this thread carefully if you want that kind of information:

Forza 5's not-so-micro transactions

It has graphs, and numbers, and pulley systems, and even a cup holder armrest. @falconer made a really comprehensive blog that will answer that.

Devildoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Devildoll

@spraynardtatum: i thought that thread was about how expensive it would be to buy some/all cars via tokens.

Didnt know it had credit price comparrisons between forza 4 and 5.

Its 3:30 AM here in swedenland so ill read it through tomorrow.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By spraynardtatum

@spraynardtatum: i thought that thread was about how expensive it would be to buy some/all cars via tokens.

Didnt know it had credit price comparrisons between forza 4 and 5.

Its 3:30 AM here in swedenland so ill read it through tomorrow.

Yeah, it's good stuff. Get some rest!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.