Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Game Boy

Platform »

Nintendo's first handheld gaming console was immensely popular among gamers, selling millions. Despite its grayscale color scheme, it still got support from developers and publishers.

Turn a smartphones into Game Boys (with cartridge support)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Pika Pika
    Pika Pika

Since the inception of smartphones, we have seen devices trying to bring the "Game Boy" or more specially the handheld dedicated device experiences to the our new powerful handheld screens. There have been dozens of attempts from strapping on controllers to various 'emulation'. Yet I don't think many have gone as far as creating a cartridge slot for a device that had the authentic buttons.

Hyperkin had unveileda smartphone accessory concept called the Smart Boy in 2015 as a joke, an April Fool’s Day joke. But from taht joke the company gauge demand for that of a controller w/ cartridge slot, and this week Hyperkin showed-off ist working prototype at the E3.

It is a bit "off looking" at since they want all sorts of phones to slot-into the device, yet it seems like a fair compromise if a bit ugly. It does give you the authentic style buttons and the ability to put the cart in the slot would seem to make the 'pirating' issues moot. Not for everyone, maybe not even for most, but still interesting...maybe as a fail-safe if your old GameBoy dies.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That thing is really cool. I never need to play a Game Boy game again for the remainder of my life.

You may want to go through your post and edit some grammatical/spelling errors. It confused my simple brain more than once.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@spoonman671: Yeah gameboy isn't something I go back to alot but when I do I fire up my super gameboy.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This is super cool that it has cartridge support! I really want to see more emulators with original physical game support.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is super cool that it has cartridge support! I really want to see more emulators with original physical game support.

Most of them do if you have the right interface for the physical stuff. Like I can play PS2 discs on my pc and I have a usb-ps2 controller adapter. so its almost like the real thing... Except the part where it runs like shit. I haven't messed with any emulation on my new PC though so maybe it will be better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.