Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Garou: Mark of the Wolves

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 26, 1999

The final game in the Fatal Fury franchise, Garou is set ten years after the death of Geese Howard, and features eleven brand new characters for the player to take control over.

Come on, get serious! Garou Mark of the Wolves now on XBONE via back compat

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In case you missed it Garou was added to XBONE backwards compatibility today. I played a few rounds of survival and it's still a fantastic game and runs great on XBONE as far as I can tell (but I am far from an expert in such things.)

I know a lot of people really want big AAA games released via backwards compatibility, but I'm very happy to see smaller but excellent titles like this released. If I want to go back and play Red Dead Redemption I can hook my xbox 360 up and play it, but a game like Garou where I might want to play a 15-20 minute session is just really nice to have available on my Xbone. In some ways the quick arcade experiences are even more important than the big marquee games because they're more likely to be played on a whim for a short period of time, where getting the 360 out of the closet would be a real pain (okay, mine's not in my closet, but the HDMI cord isn't plugged into the TV most of the time.)

Anyway back to Garou, it is a fantastic 2D fighter with a character named Butt and some really excellent sprite work. It may be 17 years old but it has aged very very well. Jeff loves it and you should too. It's only $10 so if you're interested you should give it a shot. Damn Xbox Live Arcade was a fantastic service with a ton of gems on it. I really miss it (For some reason I prefer ports of classic games like Garou or Radiant Silvergun to fresh hot bangers like Organic Panic and Tron Run/r, which apparently have supplanted the classics on XBONE.).

They also made Sonic the Fighters and Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project backwards compatible so...I mean those games are alright I guess (not really for Sonic the Fighters). But Garou is the true standout and it's just a great great classic style fighting game like they will apparently never ever make again. Check it out!

I really hope they do Guardian Heroes and Radiant Silvergun next. They already did Gunstar Heroes and Ikaruga so I'm pretty optimistic!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I will just play Garou on FightCade and lose to hella Kevin and Grant players online but neat that there is BC support.

I did try out KOF98UM on my Xbox One and felt fine. After hating the lag and graphical problems of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 when it was BC on XB1, 98 felt pretty good. While I am not Mexican or Chinese level of skill, I can do Iori taco confirms, Kyo's crouch b, crouch a confirm to Final Showdown with not much problems. I wouldn't be surprised if Garou feels the same. If they can, they should BC Neo Geo Battle Colliseum since that was basically the best port.

At the least SNK Playmore is being more active in bringing games to modern platforms. I know The Last Blade 2 is being handled by Code Mystics and is coming to both the PS4 and the Vita. Aside from KOFXIV, what might bring me to buy a PS4 is if SNK can either make an HD remaster of KOXI or at least put the PS2 version work with no lag.

Also I was at NorCal Regionals and there was a Garou supergun setup in the anime room. There was also Super Turbo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.