Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Gears Of War 2 Online Broken?

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Okay so for the past couple of days that Gears of War 2 has been out, I have tried to play a couple of public matches online and I can't get into any of them. It says that it is searching for teammates...fails to find them...and then restarts the search. I have yet to get past this point so I haven't been able to play online unless its been private matches. Is my game jacked or is this happening to other people also?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

It's probably just that you're the worst player ever.

It's probably due to your internet connection being less than stellar and the mass number of people online with it.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo

From my experience, the matchmaking sucks. Not your connection. Things to remember:

• It's best to go in with a party of 2, 3, or 5.
    • A party of 1 is better than 4, much better. If you try to search with 4 people, it'll take 10 minutes on average. A party of 1 is more agreeable, but not fun to be playing with strangers.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Vinchenzo said:
    • A party of 1 is better than 4, much better. If you try to search with 4 people, it'll take 10 minutes on average. A party of 1 is more agreeable, but not fun to be playing with strangers.
    "
    ????????????????/
    Does this make sense?
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#5  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "
    ????????????????/
    Does this make sense?
    "
    Does it make sense this shitty matchmaking could get past EPIC? My friends get disconnected on occasion, it takes a considerable amount of time to find a game. Oh and I like the 20 seconds of idiocy that you have to sit through at the end of each match, staring at a scoreboard. Overall I am hoping they patch it up and make it better.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Vinchenzo said:
    Does it make sense this shitty matchmaking could get past EPIC? My friends get disconnected on occasion, it takes a considerable amount of time to find a game. Oh and I like the 20 seconds of idiocy that you have to sit through at the end of each match, staring at a scoreboard. Overall I am hoping they patch it up and make it better."
    Well, I don't think Epic is made up of saints, but I really liked the online design of the first Gears. It was just like UT2004, and I loved that too. Why do they change the things that are not only not broken, but are superior to everything else?
    Well, I'm off to bed, so I guess that question is rhetorical.
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Discorsi

only thing broken in multi is chainsaw.

Avatar image for crazyscreenwriter
    crazyscreenwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crazyscreenwriter

Its a "Known Issue". All over the Official Gears Forums on Epic's website. For me it takes anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes to put a match together. For others it is seconds, and some people get no love at all. The current thesis seems to be that Epic's matchmaking servers are overloaded. The only thing you can do right now is wait. Oh, and, of course, make sure you have an Open NAT.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9  Edited By Roger_Klotz

When I play with friends I can usually enter a match right away. But when I'm alone it takes awhile for the matchmaking to find the players. Other than that I have had no complaints with it.

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Royale
    crazyscreenwriter said:
    "Its a "Known Issue". All over the Official Gears Forums on Epic's website. For me it takes anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes to put a match together. For others it is seconds, and some people get no love at all. The current thesis seems to be that Epic's matchmaking servers are overloaded. The only thing you can do right now is wait. Oh, and, of course, make sure you have an Open NAT."
    Well, if that's the case then fine.  I'm glad they're addressing it.  Last night I attempted to get into some multiplayer matches and ended up in a 3v5 match (I was on the 3 -  how's that for matchmaking) and then spent 10 minutes searching for another game with no luck.  I finally ended up setting up a map with some bots just so I could play something.  Hopefully by the time I finish up with the single player and dive full on into multiplayer, this issue will be fixed.  The games I did get into were mostly awesome and I love the new maps.

I'm sure it's just a technical problem.  I've never had a problem getting into a game in Halo 3... usually it's pretty instant.  I just hope it gets fixed soon.
    Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wuffi

yea gears 2 is kinda broken and laggy and matchmaking blows

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By wefwefasdf

I can't believe I am already waiting for an update considering it has been out for three days...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Yep, I'm getting the same problem, It sometimes finds team mates, but then fails to find an opponent.

Avatar image for theworstplayerever
    TheWorstPlayerEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

quick update.... I just got into my first public game! I guess the servers were just slammed or something but I did discover that I don't want to play public games anymore because people are way too good. lol

Royale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Royale

Something must have happened because tonight games are popping great for me.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead

It seems a bit faster. But when it's gone from 30 minutes waiting to 15 minutes waiting, i'm still not jumping for joy.

stevieq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stevieq

yeah, it's pretty bad. Even when I get in to a game, there is often a lot of lag

af7lm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By af7lm

I'm still not getting any love.  Release day I was able to get in A game fairly quick then got the boot at the end of the match.  Of course I couldn't get into another.  Tried again this morning with no avail.  I hope it gets fixed soon because I really wanna try out the public multiplayer, I never got into gow1 mp.   For now i'll stick with horde and insane campaign.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to scrap the entire matchmaking system or at least remove the playlist "feature" of the game. They tried to be Halo 3, when they should know that just because a shitty system gets put into a good game, it doesn't make the system good.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

I can't ever connect to anyone with Matchmaking. Couldn't in Halo 3, couldn't in COD4, and can't in GOW2. Thanks, Epic.

Avatar image for crazyscreenwriter
    crazyscreenwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its gotten better for me. About two to five minutes between games, and most of the time I'm at least getting games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.