Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

Spoilers...The Carmine Theory

• 62 results
    Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Zaapp1

I can't say that I've looked into all the books and analyzed every line of dialogue from the 2 gears games, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts on what i call "The Carmine Theory" (excuse me if this exists already).  Basically it boils down to this.  4 Carmines = 4 Gears games.  First was Anthony (got his head popped).  Then there's Benjamin (got eaten...partially).  That's two of the Carmines down, with supposedly 2 other brothers that are also enlisted.  I'm going to go ahead and say that there are 2 more Gears games coming, one with C. Carmine and one with D. Carmine (Charlie, Cody, David, Damion, etc.  Take your pick).  I'm also going to peer into the future and say that each of these dudes will die, even though D. Carmine doesn't necessarily have to.  Your thoughts?

Edit: It has been confirmed that there is, in fact, a Clay Carmine, thanks to Manks.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Systech

I don't want another Carmine, actually. You would think that the other two would learn their lesson after enlisting in Delta. ;)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I agree. After hearing Ben Carmine say he was one of four, I immediately though that there would be four games. To be honest, i'd like to see that rather than Gears just being another default trilogy like everything else.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By napalm

Haha, yeah. The Carmine brothers are amazing. They're so gung-ho. I mean, in the first game, Anthony Carmine was just basically a rook who got it quick, which justified you only being able to have 4 people/squad. But everybody played as him in Gears Of War, and he was an unexpected fan favorite, especially his "Die, Locust, Die!" gung-ho attitude. That, and the helmet he had which gave him such a unique personality.

That's cool that they invented this whole "Carmine Brothers" thing after the sleeper hit appeal of Anthony. I was so sad, when Benjamin Carmine got it. I was like, "ok, he's seriously going to survive, we're halfway through the game, and he's not dead." Then the chopper. I was like, "shit, no! Ok, he's in the chopper. SHIT! HE FUCKING FLEW OFF! GODDAMMIT!"

And then they found him in the riftworm, half eaten, ugh, haha. You really don't want the Carmine brothers to get it, but you know they will eventually. I just hope they continue with the Carmine history/mythos and hopefully have one survive and become the fifth member of Delta squad at the end of whatever game.

Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Wolswor

I hope it isn't true, I honestly hope the Carmines are done.  Everyone KNEW the second Carmine was going to die.  There was no question about it.  If they put in a third and a fourth it will be lame, "Oh, wonder how he'll die this time."

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Napalm said:
    "I was so sad, when Benjamin Carmine got it. I was like, "ok, he's seriously going to survive, we're halfway through the game, and he's not dead." Then the chopper. I was like, "shit, no! Ok, he's in the chopper. SHIT! HE FUCKING FLEW OFF! GODDAMMIT!"
    I know. I thought they were going to kill him off really early and instead not only did they keep him around, but they built him up as quite a sympathetic character so when they killed him off, I was gutted. Had it not been in such a comically grizzly way, I may have shed a tear or two.
    Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Zaapp1
    Wolswor said:
    "I hope it isn't true, I honestly hope the Carmines are done.  Everyone KNEW the second Carmine was going to die.  There was no question about it.  If they put in a third and a fourth it will be lame, "Oh, wonder how he'll die this time.""
    Don't you think that might be interesting though?  They could have a bunch of close calls with the next Carmines and then have him die in some unexpected way, just toying with you since they know you know.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

Yeah and like I said, have the last Carmine brother survive and become the fifth member of the Delta Squad.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By keyhunter

MIND BLOWING.

halfameatball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By halfameatball

I thought that too...but in all honesty you know that Microsoft and Epic will keep the series going if they are making money and the quality of the franchise stays up to speed. Maybe we'll see cousins, sisters, children, whatever. The Gears franchise will keep going if it is making money I think...and that will not change for a while.

Vlademir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Vlademir

Carmine was a funny addition in Gears 2 almost because you wonder throughout the whole game how he will die but I think if 2 more carmines were in 2 other games it might become a little dull.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ParanoidFreak

Poor Carmine, I knew he was going to die the whole time that he was with me but it still bummed me out to seem him die. I hope they give the Carmine family a break, it might become repetitive.

GmLx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GmLx

For the loveofgod what about tai !!! :'( loll

Yelix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Yelix

It's going to be like South Park, where every episode you would just sit there waiting for Kenny to die and it would always be in some ridiculous way.
    The only reason Carmine dies is because only pussies wear helmets.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By napalm

Benjamin: "These helmets have an air filtration system built inside."

Dom: "Yeah, but then I wouldn't be able to see incoming sniper bullets."

Marcus: "Dom... cool it."

LOL.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Manks

You know the 3rd Carmine brother's name is Clay, right?  It was a note in one of the collectibles for the War Journal.  The note is written to Clay Carmine from Ben.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman
    Yelix said:
    "It's going to be like South Park, where every episode you would just sit there waiting for Kenny to die and it would always be in some ridiculous way.
    The only reason Carmine dies is because only pussies wear helmets."
    This. Every Gears game that is released, a Carmine will die.
    Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zaapp1
    Manks said:
    "You know the 3rd Carmine brother's name is Clay, right?  It was a note in one of the collectibles for the War Journal.  The note is written to Clay Carmine from Ben."

Thank you!  If that's not definitive proof, I don't know what is...well...at least one part of my theory has been confirmed.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By napalm

I think they used the same voice actor for Ben as they did with Anthony. They should just do that for every Carmine brother.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Manks
    Zaapp1 said:
    "Manks said:
    "You know the 3rd Carmine brother's name is Clay, right?  It was a note in one of the collectibles for the War Journal.  The note is written to Clay Carmine from Ben."

Thank you!  If that's not definitive proof, I don't know what is...well...at least one part of my theory has been confirmed."
    No problem.  
    CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CreamyGoodness
    keyhunter said:
    "

MIND BLOWING.

"
    um not quite. ya your theory is fucked, besides carmines need to stop dying. fuck everyone else carmine is da shit
    Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zaapp1

I like him, but that's the point...he's the character in the war movie who everyone wants to pull through and yet knows he won't.

Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Prime20
    Zaapp1 said:
    "I like him, but that's the point...he's the character in the war movie who everyone wants to pull through and yet knows he won't."
    Agreed, hell he had his little "tell my family i love them!" speech like this was some vietnam movie. Maybe Clay will be a complete badass and instead of getting his head popped off, or eaten by something he'll actually survive.

Or at the very least die in a heroric way that saves the rest of the world, like that dude in Starship Troopers that stayed behind to detonate the nuke.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daniel_beck_90

GEARS OF WAR  will have more than 4 installments ,
      I BET 

Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DragoonKain1687

Yeah, I mean, Carmine is now to Gears of War what Kenny is to South Park. We all know he is gonna bite the dust, but we all want to see HOW he does it :D.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By keyhunter

As well as killing a Carmine, they will also kill a "main character" type leader figure who is Asian in decent.

spykr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By spykr
    keyhunter said:
    "As well as killing a Carmine, they will also kill a "main character" type leader figure who is Asian in decent."
    Why not just make it easier for everyone and have an asian Carmine? :D
    I can see it now, Ching Chong Carmine.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By damswedon

they need to have clay carmine as a badass who walks around firing the bike-gun with a chainsaw on the bottom

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NoDeath

also a little note, both gears 1 and 2 had 5 acts. A. Carmine dies in act 1 game 1, B. Carmine in act 2 game 2. whats the bet they'll die later and later in each game

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Illmatic

It'd be awesome if D. Carmine turned out to be some uber bad ass solider that saves the day in the end of Gears of War 4.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#31  Edited By dsplayer1010

I think the next one will die, then the other will stick around

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Player1

You guys realize Cliffy B (oh my bad), Young Clifford has confirmed that it is indeed a trilogy?

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By giyanks22
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I agree. After hearing Ben Carmine say he was one of four, I immediately though that there would be four games. To be honest, i'd like to see that rather than Gears just being another default trilogy like everything else."
    I agree I think Gears shouldn't end as a trilogy.
    Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I cried both times :((((
    If this continues, I will fight for the Carmine family's rights! !11!

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Will1Lucky
    Player1 said:
    "You guys realize Cliffy B (oh my bad), Young Clifford has confirmed that it is indeed a trilogy?"

Well then we demand 2 carmines to die then :D.
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jeffsekai

I hope they do add another Carmine that will die, when the Carmine in Gears of War 2 died I was actually sad when he did, it was a very good moment that made me care about the rest of the COGs and the Carmines.

needs more

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Shadow

the next one will die almost imediately, and that will get the cogs all jaded about it, and then the fourth Carmine will be the ultimate badass.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By brukaoru
    Player1 said:
    "You guys realize Cliffy B (oh my bad), Young Clifford has confirmed that it is indeed a trilogy?"
    Actually, he didn't. Some of the press either misquoted him or assumed it would be a trilogy.

Here's what Mark Rein said a while back: (Source)
    "Gears is a trilogy? If we can keep making quality games that fans obviously love [...] then why would we have to stop at three? I don't see the Metal Gear Solid, Mario, Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy series (among others) stopping at three and they're still delivering compelling entertainment content that's easily worth the money (see Unreal Tournament as well). There's definitely, as many of you have pointed out, a lot more to learn about what's really happening on the plant Sera and in the lives of the members of Delta Squad."

"If Gears had flopped we certainly wouldn't be thinking about a sequel. So when we said 'let's wait and see how the first one does before we commit to a second' we definitely meant it. Likewise the same is true for third or fourth, or seventh or tenth [Smile] I think we made it clear that this game is part of a bigger story and if this one did well then the story would unfold in another one.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shadow
    Will1Lucky said:
    "Player1 said:

Well then we demand 2 carmines to die then :D."

he never said that, or even anything to that effect.  He said he wants to do another one, but that no way implies that the "one more" means "one last"
    voghan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By voghan

Actually he said why limit yourself to three.  If the game is a success they may just keep going.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By End_Boss
    Milkman said:
    This. Every Gears game that is released, a Carmine will die."
    Carmine will look up and ask Marcus to save him, and Marcus will whisper,

"No."
    alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By alcamin

I may be alone in thinking this but I really hope that at least one of the Carmine brothers survives. The moment that B. Carmine died in the Gears 2 was a genuinely sad one and I'm not sure I could go through that again twice more (call me a softy if you like ;P ). I'm not really a fan of introducing a character for the sole purpose of killing them off.

I also hope that the final two Carmine's are different from their brothers in terms of personality. Making them strong willed, confident and perhaps even a bit gun ho would be a interesting change of pace. The idea of a Carmine being a brash and brazen character is actually quite an amusing one really. ^^

Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#43  Edited By Alphazero

Oh my God, they killed Carmine!
    You bastards!

MountainMarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MountainMarine

Look they're going to kill off the third carmine in the third game so there will be just one Carmine left. Then they'll find out that the locust have captured the last Carmine meaning that the last gears will be "Gears Of War 4: Saving Private Carmine"

alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alcamin
    MountainMarine said:
    "Look they're going to kill off the third carmine in the third game so there will be just one Carmine left. Then they'll find out that the locust have captured the last Carmine meaning that the last gears will be "Gears Of War 4: Saving Private Carmine""
    The whole "Saving Private Ryan" scenario has certainly crossed my mind on more than one occasion but it's that exact storyline which I hope and pray will not come to pass. It would be so cliché and unimaginative, and would most likely be universally condemned because as a result. The Gears series deserves better than that. If Epic wants to follow that sort of plot then they would have to come up with something original and not make such a blatant rip-off. I really, REALLY hope they think about it properly otherwise a lot of people, myself included, will be extremely disappointed.
    KingOfIceland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By KingOfIceland

How about in Gears 3, along with the Marcus/Dom and Cole/Baird campaigns there's a Carmin/Carmine co-op campaign

think about it

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Clearly there will be five Gears of Wars, after all after all the brothers die keep in mind there is still the mother.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#48  Edited By natetodamax
    Benjamin: "These helmets have an air filtration system built inside."

Dom: "Yeah, but then I wouldn't be able to see incoming sniper bullets."

Marcus: "Dom... cool it."

LOL.

Horendous misquote FTL
    alcamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By alcamin
    KingOfIceland said:
    "How about in Gears 3, along with the Marcus/Dom and Cole/Baird campaigns there's a Carmin/Carmine co-op campaign

think about it
    "
    Yeah, to be honest, I think that's a pretty good idea. It would add a bit more variety to the series and getting to know the family better would be great (I'm a sucker for that kind of in-depth stuff ^^). Whether it will actually ever happen though is another thing entirely but we can but hope. :)

Captain_Fookup
    said:
    "Clearly there will be five Gears of Wars, after all after all the brothers die keep in mind there is still the mother."
    Oh man, that really would be a kick in the teeth, wouldn't it? :D The family tragedy would be complete!

LoZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By LoZone

story is lame, lol,  anyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.