Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 3

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 20, 2011

The third and final installment in the Marcus Fenix trilogy. Taking place on the apocalyptic planet Sera, 18 months after the ending of Gears of War 2, players will once again take control of C.O.G. soldier Marcus Fenix as he takes on the Locust threat and their Lambent rivals.

What was Patrick talking about on the Bombcast?(spoilers)

• 52 results
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CastroCasper

I just finished Gears 3, and first, holy shit what a great game in my eyes. However, there is one thing I am wondering about. In last weeks Bombcast Patrick says that they left one giant answer, unanswered. However, I feel more like Jeff and I think they finished it well. I can't think of a single thing that I would want answered. So what exactly was Patrick talking about?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mercutio123

Spoilers for anyone who didn't read the thread title!!...

...the fecking queen didn't die when the anti-locust spray went off, never really explained. I personally want to know how Adam Fenix was the only guy on the planet to know about the Locust before E-day and why he kept that pretty hushed....

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CastroCasper

Ohhh okay. Thanks guys. That does make a little sense. I guess I just thought that maybe

Adam and the Queen worked together at one point, before the Immulsion started eating everyone. Then when Adam says that he could have just sent the Locus underground instead of killing them, to me it seemed like he was talking about a prior friend, not the enemy. Maybe when Adam tried to solve the Immulsion problem, it made everything worse, and the Queen assumed he did it on purpose. Maybe she was a human working above ground, but decided to take control of the Locus when she realized they were all doomed and without a leader. Or I could be talking out of my ass.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By natetodamax
    @MariachiMacabre The Queen is human. If you play as her in multiplayer she has the regular two beat heartbeat when running that the COG humans have. Locust have a three beat heartbeat.

I think the big question though is why she is human and how she knew to contact Adam Fenix. I really wish they had explained that.
    afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By afrokola

Maybe the future DLC campaign stuff will put an answer to this, but I'm really not too upset about them leaving it unexplained. At least Baird comments on it during the story.

EpicBenjamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 46

#7  Edited By EpicBenjamin

I think the Gears comic series "Dirty Little Secrets" will answer that.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pweidman

Yeah, I guess that is one secret left unsolved, but the game had definite closure for me after playing all three games in the trilogy. My question is: Where does Epic take the franchise now? Cliffy better get on that and clue us in soon :p.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

While there is nothing worse than a story ebing told over different forms of media, I wasn't too bothered as the bulk of the Gears mythos is all seen from Marcus' perspective making the game more about him than the Locust War at large.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By TheHBK

I am still wondering what the hell the purpose of the Sires in the second game was. The experiments at the lab had to have had some purpose.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By niamahai
    @TheHBK said:

I am still wondering what the hell the purpose of the Sires in the second game was. The experiments at the lab had to have had some purpose.

Locust-Human hybrid to cure lambiency. It was also speculated that the Queen came from that facility.

If you have the Special Edition of Gears3 which came with the Design Book for Gears, it was stated that Epic's main focus was the shooting of dudes, not telling a "great" story. Hence they still design the levels first, then outsource the narrative points to that Karen lady. 
    *I assume the above is not something unusual in video game development*  
    cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By cstrang

Yeah, it's pretty clearly something about the Queen. Adam, near the end, even tries to tell Marcus, but Marcus pulls that BS "Oh, it's not important right now" shit.

afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By afrokola

@cstrang: That killed me! Stupid Marcus, let Pappa Fenix speak.

Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Burns09

I think there are things left unanswered intentionally. Either to leave a plot hole open for another game or at the very least let the player draw his/her own conclusion from little hints and nods throughout the games. I think @niamahai got it right with the sires being hybrids to cure lambency which was scraped and the queen coming from that facility. Perhaps she was a single success and that's why Adam Fenix's solution didn't effect her.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

@natetodamax said:

@MariachiMacabre The Queen is human. If you play as her in multiplayer she has the regular two beat heartbeat when running that the COG humans have. Locust have a three beat heartbeat. I think the big question though is why she is human and how she knew to contact Adam Fenix. I really wish they had explained that.

I think you are might be reading to deep into this.

Crixaliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crixaliz

@natetodamax said:

@MariachiMacabre The Queen is human. If you play as her in multiplayer she has the regular two beat heartbeat when running that the COG humans have. Locust have a three beat heartbeat.

Wow I never noticed that there was a difference in the heartbeat. That's pretty awesome!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#17  Edited By natetodamax
    @Mr_Skeleton

@natetodamax said:

@MariachiMacabre The Queen is human. If you play as her in multiplayer she has the regular two beat heartbeat when running that the COG humans have. Locust have a three beat heartbeat. I think the big question though is why she is human and how she knew to contact Adam Fenix. I really wish they had explained that.

I'm just saying all the Locust have different heartbeats except her. I'll take any explanation I can get since EPIC doesn't give one.
    Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@cstrang:

That part made me laugh quite a bit, very troll-y.

Mu11etMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Mu11etMan

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that Locust females are more human for some random reason that I could not begin to defend or explain haha

EDIT: Never mind I read it here. http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Queen_Myrrah#Unique_Appearance

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DonPixel

@Kurtdyoung said:

I just finished Gears 3, and first, holy shit what a great game in my eyes. However, there is one thing I am wondering about. In last weeks Bombcast Patrick says that they left one giant answer, unanswered. However, I feel more like Jeff and I think they finished it well. I can't think of a single thing that I would want answered. So what exactly was Patrick talking about?

Yoo there is more logical holes in that plot than in a swiss cheedar

-Why is the Locust queen human?

-What's the queen relationship with Adam Fenix

-If Adam Fenix new about the locus before E-day why didn't he do nothing

-The locust Queen tells A. Fenix he is a about to have another genocide in his hands, soo what was exactly the first one?

-Why in hell A. Fenix wanted to save the locust?

-What are the "sirens" ?

-How can a Giant worm that eat cities subsist in a clearly disproportionate small environment, what does he eat, how does he breed etc..

-How come humanity fought wars for imulsion during decades or centuries and all the sudden it turns out is a powerfull mutagen that happens to trigger just now?

-How in hell is A. Fenix the only scientist to realize Imulsion is not a fuel but a bacteria is he the only one who posses a microscope in sera?

-How can Marcus and company be so "pumped" and not have hearth kidney problems yet?

I'm quite sure I missing stuff as pretty much nothing makes sense in the GoW trilogy, the game is cool thou.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By intro

[spoiler]Probably about the Queen being human looking and/or the Locust origins. Loved the part where Marcus stabbed the queen, "This is from Dom and everyone else you killed, you bitch."[/spoiler]

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By Marz
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By niamahai
    @Marz said:
    I'm guessing,  the big question left unanswered was....

it came from the center of Sera. Millions and millions of compress hatred and bro-ness made it sentient. And yellow.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By august

@niamahai said:

@Marz said:
    I'm guessing, the big question left unanswered was....

WHERE THE FUCK DID THE IMULSION COME FROM IF IT'S A SYMBIOTIC LIFE FORM!?
    it came from the center of Sera. Millions and millions of compress hatred and bro-ness made it sentient. And yellow.

Exactly. It's just like how Mountain Dew came to be on our own planet.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Waffles13
    @DonPixel said:

-The locust Queen tells A. Fenix he is a about to have another genocide in his hands, soo what was exactly the first one?
    Inital Hammer strikes and the sinking of Jacinto

Because he had the guilt of the above genocides and didn't want to kill another huge swath of people who were just trying to survive

-How can a Giant worm that eat cities subsist in a clearly disproportionate small environment, what does he eat, how does he breed etc..
    There are 3 Rift worms that created all the caverns that the Locust lived in. They went into hybernation at some point, and the Lightmass bomb from Gears 1 awoke one of them

-How come humanity fought wars for imulsion during decades or centuries and all the sudden it turns out is a powerfull mutagen that happens to trigger just now?
    All of the wars and activity on the surface may have accelerated it. Notice that the more basic lifeforms like the wretches were infected first, followed by the underground locust and then spread to humans. It just evolved over time

-How in hell is A. Fenix the only scientist to realize Imulsion is not a fuel but a bacteria is he the only one who posses a microscope in sera?
    The Queen probably told him it was infecting them, which the humans had no knowledge of. Also, dude invented orbital laser beams, I think he's pretty damn smart

Your other points are valid and I'm not trying to be an ass, just clarifying the stuff I know.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Waffles13 said:
    @DonPixel said:

Inital Hammer strikes and the sinking of Jacinto

Because he had the guilt of the above genocides and didn't want to kill another huge swath of people who were just trying to survive

There are 3 Rift worms that created all the caverns that the Locust lived in. They went into hybernation at some point, and the Lightmass bomb from Gears 1 awoke one of them

All of the wars and activity on the surface may have accelerated it. Notice that the more basic lifeforms like the wretches were infected first, followed by the underground locust and then spread to humans. It just evolved over time

The Queen probably told him it was infecting them, which the humans had no knowledge of. Also, dude invented orbital laser beams, I think he's pretty damn smart

Your other points are valid and I'm not trying to be an ass, just clarifying the stuff I know.
    That or "Genocide" Meaning E day when like a third of the population was killed off. 
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DonPixel

@The_Laughing_Man: @Waffles13: Help appreciated that might "explain" stuff I guess, I love Gears and I've been digging in the Gears Wikkis out there but still seems to my like a confuse clusterfuck of a plot

It doesn't prevent me for enjoying Gears games thou.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @DonPixel said:

@The_Laughing_Man: @Waffles13: Help appreciated that might "explain" stuff I guess, I love Gears and I've been digging in the Gears Wikkis out there but still seems to my like a confuse clusterfuck of a plot

It doesn't prevent me for enjoying Gears games thou.

Literary a third of Seras population was killed off on E day.  And since His father didnt warn anyone. That was FULLY on his head. 
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By niamahai

just be glad that Epic didn't went for 90's comicbook plot twist 

Adam : "Marcus. When your Mother died I waz so sad. AND THEN I met this beautiful woman called Myrrah.."    
    Marcus: " Aww dad, c'mon" 
    Adam : " AND THUS! MARCUS MICHAEL FENIX! YOU WAS BORN! OF HUMAN AND HYBRID BLOODZ! THUS GIVING YOU THAT EXTRA BULLET RESISTANCE!" 
    Marcus :  "AWW C'MON!!!"  
    Adam : "Anya is also actually your sister!"

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By I_smell

@Kurtdyoung: Also interesting: When you meet Adam Fenix he gives Baird a data disc that is supposedly full of his research and a bunch of secrets.

Nobody ever mentions that again after Baird pockets it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MariachiMacabre
    neokef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By neokef

You know at one point that Epic is going to say "the Queen was Marcus' mother and blah blah balh Adam combined her with locus to save her and blah blah blah hammer of dawn blah blah blah and locus queen" and Marcus forgot all this in some crazy psychological way that will make sense in the Gears universe. I think that this is one of the things we are going to see in the prequels.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lukeweizer

@Kurtdyoung said:

Did you enjoy looking for fuel for half the game?

I think he was talking about where the locust come and what their deal was, who the queen was. Definitely didn't answer most of my questions.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sooty

I think people keep looking for reasons to take the plot in these games seriously, when really it's full of holes and poor writing.

It has some cool death scenes however.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

I have a feeling the next trilogy of Gears games will follow Adam Fenix, through the Pendulum wars, and ultimately show how the Queen became the Queen.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Afroman269

@natetodamax said:

@Mr_Skeleton

@natetodamax said:

I'm just saying all the Locust have different heartbeats except her. I'll take any explanation I can get since EPIC doesn't give one.

It makes sense that she's human. Any locust or lambent were destroyed by that wave from the machine. She was unaffected by it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Oldirtybearon

The Queen's human, it's just a matter of which theory you want to lend credence to. There's arguments to be made from collectibles that she was a research scientist for the COG. There's also another theory that she was born out of the Sire program. The second one, I think, makes the most sense.

Waffles13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Waffles13
    @I_smell said:

@Kurtdyoung: Also interesting: When you meet Adam Fenix he gives Baird a data disc that is supposedly full of his research and a bunch of secrets.

I'm gonna go ahead and speculate that the campaign DLC is going to exclusively be Baird and Cole getting the UIR troops that show up at the end of the game, concurrently with the whole "let's search for fuel and then realize we don't need it" sequence. And then at the end in some sort of epilogue or post-DLC-credits we'll see Baird pop the data disk in.
     That said I wouldn't be surprised where it's the sort of thing where Baird puts the disk in the computer, then it cuts to his face and he looks shocked by what he's seeing, and then it cuts to black.
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Burns09
    @DonPixel said:

@Kurtdyoung said:

-What are the "sirens" ?

-How can Marcus and company be so "pumped" and not have hearth kidney problems yet?

I'm quite sure I missing stuff as pretty much nothing makes sense in the GoW trilogy, the game is cool thou.

chainsaw guns.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By I_smell

@Waffles13 said:

@I_smell said:

I'm gonna go ahead and speculate that the campaign DLC is going to exclusively be Baird and Cole getting the UIR troops that show up at the end of the game, concurrently with the whole "let's search for fuel and then realize we don't need it" sequence. And then at the end in some sort of epilogue or post-DLC-credits we'll see Baird pop the data disk in. That said I wouldn't be surprised where it's the sort of thing where Baird puts the disk in the computer, then it cuts to his face and he looks shocked by what he's seeing, and then it cuts to black.

and then it fades back up and he says "There's a locust KING!!" and cuts to black again.

or "This time it's Marcus's MUM!!".

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CastroCasper

@Waffles13 said:

@I_smell said:

I'm gonna go ahead and speculate that the campaign DLC is going to exclusively be Baird and Cole getting the UIR troops that show up at the end of the game, concurrently with the whole "let's search for fuel and then realize we don't need it" sequence. And then at the end in some sort of epilogue or post-DLC-credits we'll see Baird pop the data disk in. That said I wouldn't be surprised where it's the sort of thing where Baird puts the disk in the computer, then it cuts to his face and he looks shocked by what he's seeing, and then it cuts to black.

Yeah, that is right, I almost forgot about that disc. When you were looking for fuel as Marcus, and you talk to Cole and he says something like, "Woo! Just wait till you see what we got our hands on" I was almost positive the next chapter would be played as Cole getting the ship. If the DLC was that and continued on the story some that would be great.

I think if they made any more Gears games it only makes sense to go back in time. I think it would be cool to go back to when it was just a normal planet and Cole was still a Thrashball star, but then you would need to create something to shoot at.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By bybeach

One word...MOTHER.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bybeach

Also I was almost not offended that everytime in the gear series something was going to get explained the the story actually couldn't,or didn't want to deal with, Speedracer Marcus would be too impatient or pre-occupied to listen. Still I just finished the Game, thought it the best of the trilogy and one of the very good category games this year. I'm even going to replay it in time.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By time allen

@pweidman said:

Yeah, I guess that is one secret left unsolved, but the game had definite closure for me after playing all three games in the trilogy. My question is: Where does Epic take the franchise now? Cliffy better get on that and clue us in soon :p.

hopefully they stop making them. probably not gonna happen, but gears 3 would make a pretty great ending to the series.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@DonPixel said:

@Kurtdyoung said:

-What are the "sirens" ?

A lot of those are actually answered.

(spoilers that are not going in the spoiler box!)

A. Fenix's relation with the queen was that she wanted him to kill the Lambent (hence taking over the Azura).

A. Fenix knew about E day, and he tried to persuade the queen to stay underground to fight the lambent, but he couldn't kill the Lambent off quick enough.

The first genocide the queen is talking about is the one that has been going on for God knows how long. She's talking about the civil war between Locust and Lambent.

A. Fenix thinks the Locust only did what they did because they had to. He didn't want them to be all killed off because of their instincts for survival.

Imulsion has been a mutagen that ahs been active for as long as the Locust civil war with the Lambent.

The stuff about the queen being human, the 'sirens', the giant worm, A. Fenix being the only scientist to work out the deal with imulsion and the lack of Marcus' kidney and heart problems are beyond me.

Hope this cleared some stuff up, a lot of people know it's easy to miss parts of the story in an awesome game like this.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By Humanity

From what I read and people who realllly love Gears pieced together (dev documents, game collectibles etc) it went something like this:

The Locust live underground and humans are oblivious to that.

Locust live close to the immulsion which is still not quite as evolved so their DNA gets somewhat mixed with it but they don't mutate just yet.

Humans discover immulsion and create a process to turn it into fuel.

People start getting rust lung from working near the immulsion which is like an early stage of going lambent.

At the same time that the government starts trying to find a cure for this, in order to keep using immulsion as fuel, they stumble upon a "rock creature" which is a locust.

The locust have been living near the immulsion for years so they have developed a sort of immunity to it.

The government starts experimenting and combining locust DNA with the sick miners to try and create a cure for immulsion poisoning. They also start experimenting on the children of those miners which seem to exhibit stronger immunity.

According to documents there is one child that is a perfect match of Locust and Human genes and is completely immune to the immulsion and she is called Ruth.

The "Sires" which are basically the miners and their offspring which the scientists experimented on are moved up into the mountains where somehow Ruth rejoins the locust.

Lambent locust, not completely mutated are waging a civil war with the regular Locust. Ruth who we assume is the Queen has a natural disdain for humans at this point from all the experiments and testing done on her and the locust when she was a child.

She could ask the humans for help in fighting the lambent but because of past experiences she decides to just attack them instead thinking that a peaceful treaty would never work anyway, deeming humans to be cruel etc. They attack human cities because the lambent are spreading too quickly and pushing them up from the underground passages.

It is suggested that Adam Fenix met Ruth when he was working at that one place where the Sires experiments took place and that is how he knew about the Locust and e-day.

He begins working for the Queen trying to find a way to cure lambency without killing the Locust.

Dropping the first lightmass bomb into the locust tunnels accelerates the growth of the immulsion parasite and thats how you get those crazy mutant lambent and human lambent.

Anyway thats what I read - and thats supposedly why Myrrah looks human and why she wasn't killed by the Lambent killing machine from the end-game. The story also fits well with all her quotes

"The Humans of Sera built a glorious civilization, but Humans are not destined to create. They ultimately did what they do best. Destroy. But this was nothing, compared to a new threat, from below. An enemy that will force Humanity to take their last, inevitable steps, toward extinction."

"We could have cooperated with the ground walkers for our mutual salvation, but they are humans, and they only understand dominance and ownership. All that we have left is a war to the death. For all their so-called intelligence, humans are blind to the threat right before their eyes. We never stood a chance of enlisting their aid, so now we fight alone. And we will stand on their corpses to do so."

"You humans! Why do you think your lives are worth more than ours? Don't you realize who we are? Don't you recognise all your most admirable qualities in us? Oh yes... we are genocidal monsters! Just like you!"

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DoctorTran
    @MariachiMacabre

@Marz said:

I'm guessing, the big question left unanswered was....

WHERE THE FUCK DID THE IMULSION COME FROM IF IT'S A SYMBIOTIC LIFE FORM!?

It's probably urine.

Adam Fenix didn't actually have any imulsion to use. So he was really just injecting himself with his own urine.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#48  Edited By 234r2we232

Don't feed the curly-haired troll.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By datarez

@Humanity That's really interesting about the Ruth character. I like that idea a lot better than it being Marcus's mom. Which from just a tiny bit where she's in one of the books it seems like she might be the first person to find the Locust.

Yeah an I agree Patrick was being a troll. He may be able to say they left a big hole with the Myra thing but I can't see how he said "nothing changed" in the game. Dude!

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShaneDev

The biggest unresolved question isn't who the Locust Queen is since that was sort of explained in Gears 2 like Humanity wrote above, the bigger question is what the hell the Immulsion/Lambet are? Where did it come from? How did it survive? What was it doing all these years?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.