Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears Tactics

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Apr 28, 2020

Gears Tactics is a turn-based squad tactics game for PC.

Favorite Builds/Combos? Tips & Tricks?

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Title says it all - what's your favorite class, builds and combos? Any tips & tricks, or quality of life improvements, you've found?

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By EthanielRain

The tutorial isn't 100% truthful - you can close an E-hole before waiting on it to open & chucking a grenade into it. Put a mine from the Scout class where the E-hole is, and when it opens next turn it will trigger the mine...closing the E-hole and also blowing up all the nasties that come out of it :)

Speaking of, the Scout (Commando/Slayer) is by far my favorite class. Very fun and powerful, letting you run around throwing grenades and planting mines while invisible. Obviously, get the abilities that focus on grenades, mines and cloak/hidden. Pick up the best skills on the other side of the tree - particularly the Slayer ones - to make her a true beast. She combos well with Vanguards (Intimidate, Breach) and Supports (Empower, Teamwork, Surge).

Redeploy seems like a must-have skill for the Heavy, no matter what build you're going for.

Ironman mode on the two higher difficulties means that as soon as one of your main characters dies, your game ends & your save gets deleted. Yeah... =(

c4p3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Wow the E-hole closing trick is gold, thank you. I just started this yesterday so no tricks to mention yet but I will be checking back here.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EthanielRain

Recruits can come equipped with gear that have abilities on them. So in the early parts of the game, when you actually need gear pieces, it can be worthwhile to "strip 'em & ship 'em": recruit them, take off their gear & then delete them, rather than just moving on to the next mission while they "expire".

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

This game rocks. I'm in chapter 3 now. It has an interesting feel to it. It all feels a little more mushy but dynamic and violent when compared to XCOM. I know it wasn't turn based, but in ways its actually reminiscent to me of Dawn of War II with its hero units, similar feeling boss battles, and violent clashes.

I also love the skill trees for the most part and how it opens up the experience of building out your soldiers. I may find some OP compared to others with time and some may not change your playstyle much (the Sniper skill tree, though fun, doesn't really change the Sniper experience) but there's no doubt it opens up variety more than XCOM. Gear really can as well, which I like because its a separate factor from class which allows even more freedom.

I have Gabe as a Support who often is hanging put, healing, doing overwatch, getting more actions from other characters moves, and giving other characters more actions compared to a different support who has high damage power shots and as focused to heal the whole squad and increase their evasion and abilities when they get a chainsaw kill (which the character has on extremely low cool down) and has a few debuff abilities. One is much more of a back line while the other is constantly in the thick of things like the Vanguard class. Having the gear abilities separate of class is cool that way because it allows you to say throw some big heavy armor on your support that can really change your playstyle.

Unfortunately, at least for how I play (do some reloading, but i play on the Hard mode), you don't have to use too much of your roster. I like when they force you to use more soldiers on series side missions but I wish it actually just went a little bit further. Even still, you only are going to use 4 soldiers in your big missions and often 3 will be required for story reasons so that limits that. They can't die on missions so that limits a lot of possible character deaths on some of the harder missions, including bosses. Adding two more characters would increase the scale of the game a lot it seems but I can't help but wish you had two more slots per mission.

I have enjoyed the character parts and story more than any other Gears game (but that's not too much praise), but it is interesting to think about how that part factors in compared to an XCOM, where you make all your heroes. I actually think if you did away with the whole hero system you could really open things up for some areas where this game shines (character variety and build difference) and you would get that investment more in your characters. Maybe a different mode or a mod would be cool in that way.

Overall, great experience so far. Having a couple build types in each class has been really fun and getting different cosmetic stuff as you go has led to some really cool characters to make.

The game nails the Gears stuff and if you've played some of the series it is cool and satisfying to see certain enemies pop up or get your hands on the power weapons like the Torque Bow. It all looks great from the top down perspective and mostly the design here is great. I think its kind of drab color wise but when I play each class is color coded and has flair. It does give you nice options for that.

I've had some bugs but not many (one was insane, with a big color distortion over a ton of the screen, i should have got a picture of it haven't seen anything like it). I also have a little complaint that the game doesn't let you totally break it even though you can set it up to be broken it seems. I have one Scout set up as a total Grenadier unit and with ability and gear they should have zero cool down on their Grenade, which is ridiculous balance wise but I am hitting that number and the game has capped it at 2. Oh well. I also wish there were more execution animations.

Tips I would give:

-This is probably a no brainer but overwatch can be even more OP in this game than XCOM with its interrupting potential and possible boosted damage. The game however makes you learn this lesson with multiple small swarming enemies, at least on Hard, so I feel like you have to learn this to make it far.

- When your AP counts, try to move 1 AP at a time and judge each step. It can make a surprisingly big difference to how far you can get and it allows you to react if you expose enemies.

- Be willing to abort missions (certain missions really can lend themselves to certain classes and set ups and if you aren't set up, don't be afraid to fix your squad since you only get 4 or less).

- Some of the skill tree does seem like a no brainer but you can do some cool stuff elsewhere. For example in Scout i think the possibilities outside Grenades/Mines as far as for example the Anticipation abilitiy. With my Scout with that build, I send her way behind lines to set up ambushes Ghosted with Sprint at least a turn in advance, and once in position you can use that Anticipation to create 2-3 extra AP for the next turn eventually and go WILD with the Gnasher next turn to the exposed backs of the enemy, with executions allowing you to return to cloak and basically be the Predator. Doing that to an entrenched position of Snipers and overwatching Grubs is so satisfying. Don't get me wrong, the mines kick ass too.

- Planting grenades as mines is great, has a whole different cool down to it so can be used often.

- In part with that, although the game can have huge pushes and lots of moves that allow you to be super aggressive, at times running away is the best move, or keeping units out of range from the enemy in more cautious positions. Be willing to fall back tactically. Planting a Grenade as a mine and running back is a great example. The explosion will interrupt enemies which is hugely useful against enemies like the Grenadier. The next turn you can launch a counter attack to anything you gave up.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Turns out I was wrong about the grenade issue and if you want you can pretty easily build and equip a Scout so they can throw a grenade every turn. That's been fun.

If I can complain about something, you don't get enough experience per mission. If I wanted to play this game with real efficiency, I would actually be recruiting characters every time I could and running with them on every series of missions over building up many I have at this point, which is silly. I can bring in a level 6 atm and I have characters I use quite a bit that are just hitting 5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.