Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 22, 2005

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved breaks out into its own game with an Xbox Live Arcade release that rejuvenated the dual-joystick shooter genre.

No.0001 Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By hsvlad

1001 Videogames I must play before I die!

No.0001 Geometry Wars: Retro Evoloved

No Caption Provided

I had never played much of Geometry Wars as its sequel had already been released by the time I got hold of my own 360. I've always thought its use of simple and complex visual elements to be amazing. Your ship and your enemies are about as basic as they could possibly be. Simple geometric shapes passing around a sheet of space graph paper. But when something is destroyed, everything explodes into colour and movement! It's not long before the entire screen is a blinding whirlwind of light, with space-time itself being pulled apart at its very seams. There comes a point when even your screen clearing superbomb can only provide you with a seconds rest, just enough time to figure out where the hell you are before you are immediately surrounded again.

Sadly I'm not much good at Geometry Wars, I was playing the Steam version using a 360 gamepad and only managed 96,700 points. It really is one of those strange games where the more effort you put into playing it, the worse you become. It reminds me a lot of playing Super Meat Boy. When I reached the final set of levels I found I could only play it for about 20mins at a time. If I played any longer I was just dying progressively further away from Bandage Girl.

Anyway, here is a video of someguy playing it far better then I can. I know there are videos of people getting WAY higher scores then this but I refuse to link to any video where someone has changed or removed the AMAZING music.

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By hsvlad

1001 Videogames I must play before I die!

No.0001 Geometry Wars: Retro Evoloved

No Caption Provided

I had never played much of Geometry Wars as its sequel had already been released by the time I got hold of my own 360. I've always thought its use of simple and complex visual elements to be amazing. Your ship and your enemies are about as basic as they could possibly be. Simple geometric shapes passing around a sheet of space graph paper. But when something is destroyed, everything explodes into colour and movement! It's not long before the entire screen is a blinding whirlwind of light, with space-time itself being pulled apart at its very seams. There comes a point when even your screen clearing superbomb can only provide you with a seconds rest, just enough time to figure out where the hell you are before you are immediately surrounded again.

Sadly I'm not much good at Geometry Wars, I was playing the Steam version using a 360 gamepad and only managed 96,700 points. It really is one of those strange games where the more effort you put into playing it, the worse you become. It reminds me a lot of playing Super Meat Boy. When I reached the final set of levels I found I could only play it for about 20mins at a time. If I played any longer I was just dying progressively further away from Bandage Girl.

Anyway, here is a video of someguy playing it far better then I can. I know there are videos of people getting WAY higher scores then this but I refuse to link to any video where someone has changed or removed the AMAZING music.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ch3burashka

Just want to point out that if you plan on doing 1 a day (if even that), this will take 3 years at the very least.

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hsvlad

@CH3BURASHKA: Yep, I'm in no rush

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.