Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

For The Love Of God, Why Is NASCAR So Dumb? -_-

• 83 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel
     LOOK AT ME!  I CAN TURN LEFT!  DERP DERP!
     LOOK AT ME!  I CAN TURN LEFT!  DERP DERP!
    The second stage for NASCAR when you have to drive between the cones and the line at 200+ mph is absurd with time requirements.   The gap between a Gold and Bronze is .300 of a second, and I keep scoring 13.320, yes I lose by .02 of a second.    There's also 3 more of these events in this level set too.  

Tried it with a wheel, and it's about to rip off the hinges due to the force feedback of the speeds, the controller's d-pad can't be sharp enough, and the sticks are the only ones pulling off hair splitting numbers. 

I've come to realize something, I don't like NASCAR, it's dumb.  It's not even a sport, all you do is go in an oval and turn.   

However, if someone has finished these events...how do you win?  Just give me the bronze for the love of god, I've been at it since dawn and I couldn't sleep due to it bugging the hell out of me.
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Shadow

It allowed for Will Farrel's best movie, Talladega Nights, which has by far the best director commentary I've ever been witness to.  Oh you mean the sport itself?  No, it sucks.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've been trying to get all Golds on these sepcial events.

I quickly gave up trying with the NASCAR..  Have to completely agree here, I really don't understand how anyone could be a fan of this.

The zombie like guy that introduced it was also really freaky.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Bouke

The time restriction on pretty much all licenses and a bunch of the special events are crazy hard; i don't know who came up with those but they're not even funny!
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Binman88

The Nascar section of the game is probably my least favourite. They should have left it out completely. I passed the beginner events, and decided never to touch it again because I was so bored of the driving and creeped out by the weird Nascar driver that hosts the whole thing.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Sanity

Yea, nascar seemed a odd choice, i would have rather seen some plan old dirt track stock car racing. 

Vigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vigil

I really don't understand their decisioning on adding NASCAR, i don't think any Gran Turismo fans said "oh NASCAR, thats what GT has been missing all this time". There is already a game dedicated to NASCAR that appeases that audience (where ever that NASCAR audience may be). But yeah NASCAR is ridiculous.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burns098356GX

For The Love Of God, Why Are Your Walls that Horrible Colour! -_-

Twist3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Twist3d

yep totally agree have only managed silver on intermediate got gold on beginner but damn its frustrating.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Burns098356GX said:
    "  

For The Love Of God, Why Are Your Walls that Horrible Colour! -_-

"
    Those are the worst drapes I've seen in a while. 

@Shadow said:
    " It allowed for Will Farrel's best movie, Talladega Nights, which has by far the best director commentary I've ever been witness to.  Oh you mean the sport itself?  No, it sucks. "
    Anchorman was better. 

See? No value to NASCAR!  

I'd rather have seen 1 more premium car then model the one NASCAR and make like 50 liveries for it. 
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stinky

have to agree, those are some of the worst drapes i've seen in awhile.  

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zityz

Well, your either first or your last Ricky Bobby. That's why its tough.

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By thebobster10

I am basically committing forum suicide by what I am about to do. I am a HUGE fan of NASCAR and IMO the reason why they decided to put NASCAR in the game is because they understand the amount of technical smarts that goes into it. NASCAR does not get the respect it deserves. It is more than just driving in circles. It really is. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

Those drapes are clearly just a flat texture, fuck this game.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @robbob88 I wouldn't mind hearing it, serious too. As one car fan to another, what makes NASCAR technical like F1 or WCR?
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robbob88 said:
    " I am basically committing forum suicide by what I am about to do. I am a HUGE fan of NASCAR and IMO the reason why they decided to put NASCAR in the game is because they understand the amount of technical smarts that goes into it. NASCAR does not get the respect it deserves. It is more than just driving in circles. It really is.  "
    it's also an automotive brand circle jerk.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SSully

And to think you used NASCAR as one of the selling points of this game in one of your many hype threads. 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xyzygy

I tell my Dad the same thing every Sunday...

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @robbob88 said:
    " I am basically committing forum suicide by what I am about to do. I am a HUGE fan of NASCAR and IMO the reason why they decided to put NASCAR in the game is because they understand the amount of technical smarts that goes into it. NASCAR does not get the respect it deserves. It is more than just driving in circles. It really is.  "
    I know NASCAR is hard and it takes some talented people to do it but at the end you are just watching people go in circles.  It's something that seems more fun to do than to watch for some people me being one of those people who can't stand NASCAR.
    thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thebobster10
    @KaosAngel: The amount of testing and computer/ aerodynamic research that goes into building the right chassis for each and every driver. F1 and NASCAR and lots of popular motorsports are very similar when it comes to the technical side. It isn't like NASCAR drivers show up each weekend and just drive around like mindless idiots. Each and every track has its own characteristics that require a certain type of chassis and tire combinations to get the perfect handling race car. There is so much that go into NASCAR but people are to blind or arrogant to notice. 

I respect all forms of motorsports. They're all difficult in their own ways.
    RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RoujinX
    @odintal said:
    " @robbob88 said:
    it's also an automotive brand circle jerk. "

Unlike all professional sports?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel
    @robbob88 To be honest, I never gave NASCAR too much focus. Ignorance on my part, but I'll read up more on it and hopefully understand it more.

I guess that South Park episode made me judge too quick. Sorry, no disrespect to your likes.
    thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thebobster10
    @KaosAngel: Wow :D I actually want to thank you. Most people would have been like "whatever" and continue to say that it is just driving in circles. You actually said that you will look into it. I want to thank you for not being a closed minded douche :D
    thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thebobster10
    @RoujinX: Exactly.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho
    @odintal said:
    " @robbob88 said:
    it's also an automotive brand circle jerk. "
    What do you have against circle jerks?
    PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PS3RG

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robbob88 said:
    Well, then I really hope you can answer me this question then. Without making any assumptions about how hard or easy it is to drive in a circle, why is the majority of races in a Nascar season tracks that are one big circle. I only say this because I get most enjoyment seeing the same Nascar guys and cars when they race a road course. 
    falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#29  Edited By falconer

NASCAR is dumb because of the majority of its fan base. OH HAHAHAHA! 

PS - I like Nascar. Johnson haters can go eat a fat one. 

PPS - Race Night Nascar races in Forza 3 are the fucking shit. I bump draft like a boss (if I don't get spun out, or I know how many laps are left... yeah.)

kimbokasteniv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kimbokasteniv

I actually had the opposite experience with NASCAR. I thought it was the dumbest thing before I tried it. Then I did one of the NASCAR special events and thought it was great. Drafting to your advantage and holding the steering wheel and accelerator at the optimal position for a turn which is not consistent is really difficult. Getting gold in those cone events requires that you hold the wheel in a kung fu death grip, while carefully making tiny changes to the wheel before you need them because you are going that damn fast and the car is that heavy. 

I actually appreciate NASCAR now that I have played it in GT5. Although, I still don't want to watch it on TV. With all that said, I am more or less in the same boat, 0.020 seconds away from gold.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By gamb1t

You can hate it but you have to respect it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Claude

I can't speak for the game, but NASCAR brings a lot to the table. Everyone almost drives the same car, so it's what your team can do with the parts given that counts. Can you squeeze anymore horsepower out of your engine? Is your car loose or tight... how can you change it? Pit stops and strategy plays a major role during the race. When qualifying, you set your car up differently. You're only looking for that one quick run. Speed and the perfect line count for everything, a hundredth of a second could mean being on the pole or lower. They also have good personalities, kind of like a soap opera.  

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By yakov456
    @KaosAngel
    @robbob88 I wouldn't mind hearing it, serious too. As one car fan to another, what makes NASCAR technical like F1 or WCR?
    Duh, didn't you listen to creepy cg Jeff Gordon before the events, he gives you the lowdown. You know, I'd rather have it then not, but the cars are scary as hell to drive.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead

KaosAngel looks like he lives in an NHS hospital.

RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By RedHatDrew

Other than all of the technical and automotive smarts you need, I suppose it's one of those things where you just have to be there. I'm not one to usually go see sports in-person, but when I do, it can be pretty fun to see everyone go nuts for whatever sport that they're at. 

Also, a place where you can buy beer and possibly witness a fiery, explosive crash in-person? All respect for human safety and life aside, what's to hate?

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Jackel2072

i read on here that people were having a hard time with this challenge. i managed to get gold on all of them except for the last one i think.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Jackel2072
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @robbob88 said:
    I know NASCAR is hard and it takes some talented people to do it but at the end you are just watching people go in circles.  It's something that seems more fun to do than to watch for some people me being one of those people who can't stand NASCAR. "
    i agree 100% with you. NASCAR is a challenging sport. driving around in a big circle is not as easy as it sounds. its kind of like trying to race in rush hour traffic.  but it is boring as all hell to watch IMO.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MrKlorox

NASCAR is a sham in general. Rallying is a lot more like the origin of NASCAR (booze running during prohibition) than the actual thing. I have a couple friends who are pretty into NASCAR as a sport and watch it on TV whenever possible. It's definitely a spectator event where being drunk is a requirement.

edit: Maybe that's your problem. Try it while on about 15ml worth of alcohol from NASCAR alumnus Jack Daniels.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By yakov456
    @MrKlorox said:
    " NASCAR is a sham in general. Rallying is a lot more like the origin of NASCAR (booze running during prohibition) than the actual thing. I have a couple friends who are pretty into NASCAR as a sport and watch it on TV whenever possible. It's definitely a spectator event where being drunk is a requirement.  edit: Maybe that's your problem. Try it while on about 15ml worth of alcohol from NASCAR alumnus Jack Daniels. "
    Jack Daniels? Try Natural Light or Milwaukee's best and maybe the occasional Coors Light.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Aus_azn
    @KaosAngel said:
    "  LOOK AT ME!  I CAN TURN LEFT!  DERP DERP
    The second stage for NASCAR when you have to drive between the cones and the line at 200+ mph is absurd with time requirements.   The gap between a Gold and Bronze is .300 of a second, and I keep scoring 13.320, yes I lose by .02 of a second.    There's also 3 more of these events in this level set too.   Tried it with a wheel, and it's about to rip off the hinges due to the force feedback of the speeds, the controller's d-pad can't be sharp enough, and the sticks are the only ones pulling off hair splitting numbers.  I've come to realize something, I don't like NASCAR, it's dumb.  It's not even a sport, all you do is go in an oval and turn.    However, if someone has finished these events...how do you win?  Just give me the bronze for the love of god, I've been at it since dawn and I couldn't sleep due to it bugging the hell out of me. "
    THANK YOU. You are one of the few Americans I've encountered (at least if I was to base it on my area of residence) that does not like/worship NASCAR. Kudos.

I actually golded all of these using the controller and training my brain to ignore visual and force-feedback signals as the car rounded the bend. The only one I failed to was the outside one on Daytona, which...ergh. I was .002 off, literally. It's really difficult unless you can just stop responding. But after doing this mindless exercise, I tried to do some real races, and I could not drive well nor properly for the rest of the night. Blegh.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MrKlorox
    @yakov456 said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" NASCAR is a sham in general. Rallying is a lot more like the origin of NASCAR (booze running during prohibition) than the actual thing. I have a couple friends who are pretty into NASCAR as a sport and watch it on TV whenever possible. It's definitely a spectator event where being drunk is a requirement.  edit: Maybe that's your problem. Try it while on about 15ml worth of alcohol from NASCAR alumnus Jack Daniels. "
    Jack Daniels? Try Natural Light or Milwaukee's best and maybe the occasional Coors Light. "
    I raise you moonshine. This is booze runner ancestry we're talking about here after all.

@Aus_azn said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "  LOOK AT ME!  I CAN TURN LEFT!  DERP DERP "
    THANK YOU. You are one of the few Americans I've encountered (at least if I was to base it on my area of residence) that does not like/worship NASCAR. Kudos. "
    Judging from your user name, I'm led to believe you're an Australian of Asian descent. You should either talk to more Americans or start making less crazy generalizations. I'm from Texas and I only have two friends who are even aware of the goings-on in the "league". Also these guys grew up in love with racing sports and only ever owned driving games when I would go over to their houses when we were kids, so I'd say they were pretty hardcore into racing. Unless you only talk to racing fans when talking to Americans, in which case NASCAR is the primary league. Soccer and Racecars are two of the least popular sports over here by comparison to the rest of the English countries.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "  LOOK AT ME!  I CAN TURN LEFT!  DERP DERP
    The second stage for NASCAR when you have to drive between the cones and the line at 200+ mph is absurd with time requirements.   The gap between a Gold and Bronze is .300 of a second, and I keep scoring 13.320, yes I lose by .02 of a second.    There's also 3 more of these events in this level set too.   Tried it with a wheel, and it's about to rip off the hinges due to the force feedback of the speeds, the controller's d-pad can't be sharp enough, and the sticks are the only ones pulling off hair splitting numbers.  I've come to realize something, I don't like NASCAR, it's dumb.  It's not even a sport, all you do is go in an oval and turn.    However, if someone has finished these events...how do you win?  Just give me the bronze for the love of god, I've been at it since dawn and I couldn't sleep due to it bugging the hell out of me. "
    THANK YOU. You are one of the few Americans I've encountered (at least if I was to base it on my area of residence) that does not like/worship NASCAR. Kudos. I actually golded all of these using the controller and training my brain to ignore visual and force-feedback signals as the car rounded the bend. The only one I failed to was the outside one on Daytona, which...ergh. I was .002 off, literally. It's really difficult unless you can just stop responding. But after doing this mindless exercise, I tried to do some real races, and I could not drive well nor properly for the rest of the night. Blegh. "
    Where do you live?! 
    My experience is that a large group likes it but not the majority.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Aus_azn
    @MrKlorox: @SethPhotopoulos: I do live in a very conservative part of the nation. Maybe the better part of the nation might not care, but my Facebook page gets swamped with NASCAR statuses whenever a race happens.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @dudy80 said:

" Yea, nascar seemed a odd choice, i would have rather seen some plan old dirt track stock car racing.  "

I used to play GT5prologue online.  The daytona track was a popular track online, but everyone just raced with the ford gt concept, instead of proper-like with stock cars.  DERP.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Aus_azn said:
    " @MrKlorox: @SethPhotopoulos: I do live in a very conservative part of the nation. Maybe the better part of the nation might not care, but my Facebook page gets swamped with NASCAR statuses whenever a race happens. "
    I live in NC and that doesn't happen.  NORTH CAROLINA!
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Aus_azn said:

" my Facebook page gets swamped with NASCAR statuses whenever a race happens. "

I say that's more evidence of a link between people who never considered that their bot-assisted comments might be spam and the NASCAR followers. It's the myspace disease. 

Now infecting Facebook.
    Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Blueman
    @Shadow said:
    "It allowed for Will Farrel's best movie, Talladega Nights, which has by far the best director commentary I've ever been witness to.  Oh you mean the sport itself?  No, it sucks. "

Step Brothers is clearly Will Ferrell's best movie. As for Nascar, yep, it's stupid and i wish it wasn't in the game.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Aus_azn
    @MrKlorox said:
    " @Aus_azn said:

" my Facebook page gets swamped with NASCAR statuses whenever a race happens. "

I say that's more evidence of a link between people who never considered that their bot-assisted comments might be spam and the NASCAR followers. It's the myspace disease. 

Now infecting Facebook. "
    Maybe you're right, FiOS integration probably.
    Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Trilogy

I'm really surprised that gran turismo fans are upset with nascar being in the game and want it removed.

jk, people are predictable. 

And no, I'm not a NASCAR fan.

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Raineko

I did beginner and medium on gold but I am not a huge fan of it. I mean it´s okay but you get really pissed off when you are .001 too late (yes it happened to me and I actually wanted to cry at that point).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.