Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo 5

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 24, 2010

Gran Turismo 5 is the fifth edition in the long running racing game series by Polyphony Digital. The game sports over 1000 vehicles, damage modeling on race cars, a dedicated television channel, lots of races, 16 player online multiplayer, and active weather.

GT5 first day impressions

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

First there was the shock. The game looks nowhere near as good as it should.  Everything looks flat, full of jaggies and flickering shadows. 

Strange blocks are caused by shadow, smoke and lighting effects.
    Stale sounds did not help the first impressions. Neither did long loads between the menus - which were present even after opting to make big and long install on to the hard drive.  To top things of there are the "normal cars" which look like ass. It seems like they took GT4's cars and imported them straight to this game. Would it been too much trouble to add few polygons to replace muddy textures on some surface details like door handles?  Or at least  make sure that geometry works well in the new game engine? You had 5 years to do this!!!
    All is not lost, since actual driving seems lot better and smoother. This is hard to explain but cars seem to react way better and you get better sense of what is going on with the car.  I was able to pull of moves that very nearly impossible to do in GT4 (but  relatively easy with real car) and game was pure joy to play with steering wheel and pedals. 
    I have had time only to finish the first license,  ace few early races (Damn Gambon on Top Gear WW bus challenge) and play around with ~8 cars or so.  Game certaily feels good, even if it does not sound or look that great and I am looking forward of playing this again tomorrow.
    Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

First there was the shock. The game looks nowhere near as good as it should.  Everything looks flat, full of jaggies and flickering shadows. 

Stale sounds did not help the first impressions. Neither did long loads between the menus - which were present even after opting to make big and long install on to the hard drive.  To top things of there are the "normal cars" which look like ass. It seems like they took GT4's cars and imported them straight to this game. Would it been too much trouble to add few polygons to replace muddy textures on some surface details like door handles?  Or at least  make sure that geometry works well in the new game engine? You had 5 years to do this!!!
    All is not lost, since actual driving seems lot better and smoother. This is hard to explain but cars seem to react way better and you get better sense of what is going on with the car.  I was able to pull of moves that very nearly impossible to do in GT4 (but  relatively easy with real car) and game was pure joy to play with steering wheel and pedals. 
    I have had time only to finish the first license,  ace few early races (Damn Gambon on Top Gear WW bus challenge) and play around with ~8 cars or so.  Game certaily feels good, even if it does not sound or look that great and I am looking forward of playing this again tomorrow.
    Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Raineko

The game looks pretty sweet but the high framerate makes it look cheap.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Diamond

I love how everyone has waited until Gran Turismo 5 to complain about shadow mapping artifacts.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Brunchies

Do you feel like this game actually took 80 million dollars to make, it doesn't seem like it if what you said about the sound and graphics are true.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.