Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo Sport

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Oct 17, 2017

Polyphony Digital's driving simulator comes to PlayStation 4 with a strong focus on competitive online multiplayer.

Confusion about what this is from podcast.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

It seemed pretty clear to me that this game is gran turismo e sport.they're basically turning gt academy into a full game. It won't be the size of a full numbered gt game but will be smaller and more focused like a prologue game but based around being an esport.that's how it appeared to me anyway.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I think this is GT7 just under a different banner. It seems like it will be equal in scope to previous GT games.

It's admittedly unclear and there's a lot of debate about it, but I'm inclined to think some of the cars in the trailer wouldn't fit in a game that's purely professional motor sports.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: I think they are returning to an older idea they talked about when the ps3 was first talked about. They were going to have two games. A main numbered gt and a competitive online focused one.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, it'll be some sort of expanded GT Academy style game focused on sports cars, I think. Like I wrote in the trailer thread, you only see sports cars in the trailer. No open-wheel cars, muscle cars, hot hatches, family cars, rally cars, etc., etc. just sports cars. Since it's called GT Sport, I think it's pretty clear what the focus is. Hope we still get a full GT7 later.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine them working on a Gran Turismo Gaiden. I think this is the thing we get this generation. Hopefully it builds on the platform they crudely cobbled together for 5. Gran Turismo as a platform seems like a genuinely worthy idea to pursue.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Whatever it is, I sure do look forward to playing it in 2023.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There's supposed to be a beta early next year. I'm guessing we probably won't get any clarification from Polyphony or Sony prior to that.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think they just realized that making numbered sequels was dumb at this point, especially after 6 didn't sell a lot compared to the older games.

I think there will be a strong competitive focus, but at it's core it'll still be Grand Turismo.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rasmoss: Did you mean "race cars"? Because those were certainly not "sports cars."

I'm with @chaser324 on this one. I think this is just GT7 under a different name.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Devil240Z

If this were a full GT game it would be called GT7. They literally cant make a full GT game on PS4 cause they would have to scrap over 700 cars and start from scratch. They're making this game some kind of E sport, I mean for crying out loud the person/s who win each year are going to be honored at the FIA awards! where they honor real race car drivers.

This is what Kaz has been building towards since the first GT Academy. Hes said before that this is his real motivation, to bridge the gap between game and reality.

I'm not siding one way or the other cause I truly want a real GT7 but I don't think that this is going to be that. Its going to be probably pretty cool and Ill probably really like it but its a different thing. I just wonder if GT7 will get made at this point or if Kaz has fully transitioned to doing what this game will be full time and if GT as we knew it is a thing of the past.

EDIT: I Just read this article on GT Planet. I'm thinking this game will be similar to GT3 in size with the addition of all the online stuff. As long as they port over all the tracks and more I will be totally happy with 100-200 cars or less as the case may be.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rasmoss: Did you mean "race cars"? Because those were certainly not "sports cars."

I'm with @chaser324 on this one. I think this is just GT7 under a different name.

They certainly are sports cars. Prototype sports cars used for racing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_car_racing

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look forward to driving around on Mars with that neat robot singing happy birthday to myself.

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragon_puncher: I think 6 just failed to sell due to the fact that was after the PS4 was already out.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rasmoss: Oh, for some reason I thought you were referring to production sports cars. In any case, this seems like it's going to be a full-fledged GT game, not just a Prologue-esque spin-off.

From the official trailer description:

"The multi award winning Gran Turismo series is coming exclusively to PlayStation 4...introducing GT Sport.

Building on its legacy as the most realistic and accessible driving simulator, GT Sport has partnered with the FIA to push the boundaries of racing games. In addition to everything you'd expect from a GT, the team at Polyphony and the FIA are introducing an online racing series that will be recognised alongside real world motor racing by the FIA."

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: Exactly. Some sort of Prologue with a more expanded online component, though their messaging is still rather confusing.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rasmoss: I hope they elaborate in the near future. PS Experience will hopefully have more info.

Anyway I'm kind of glad they are doing something new since they cant possibly get away with using PS2 assets in a PS4 game. My thinking is that anything they built in the HD realm will be used here, which is where my GT3 comparison comes from since that game had a little over 150 cars where GT2 before it had nearly 650. With that much less GT3 was still a damn fine game.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: My guess would be, given the heavy emphasis on sports cars and sports car racing in the trailer and the FiA tie-in, that it will be focused on sports car events like Le Mans and Sebring. Maybe there will be online endurance races where drivers drive in shifts and with some sort of real world reward in special events, like you could win a try out with a real racing team in GT Academy. That's just speculation, obviously.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

I think this is gran turismo 7, a full fledged gran turismo game and they are done with numbering them

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaser324  Moderator

@billmcneal: Apparently this is not GT7 based on what the SCEE people have said. It's supposed to be more substantial than the GT5 Prologue stuff, but I guess it's not going to be a full numbered sequel.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By billmcneal

@chaser324: oh I didn't know that....so is there still a full-fledged gran turismo 7 coming sometime in the future?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.