Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gran Turismo

Franchise »

The Real Driving Simulator (in the comfort of your own home)

Gran Turismo 8 is confirmed in development

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gtxforza

Dear motorsport fans

Here is an article from RacingGames.GG that I just saw, which mentions Kazunori Yamauchi has confirmed it.

Gran Turismo 8 is already in development, says Kazunori Yamauchi (racinggames.gg)

My thoughts:

Before Gran Turismo 8 gets released a couple of years later (I guess it's prioritised to release on PS5 or PS6 before PC), I want Gran Turismo 7 PC port to be well made so Polyphony Digital can earn extra money before they can resume the development for that.

Here are the following mistakes they should learn from GT7 are:

• Always needed an internet connection (Making it feel more like an MMO game)
    • Grimy microtransactions (Must be Sony Interactive Entertainment manipulated Polyphony Digital for that)
    • Players must keep grinding if they're stuck during their progression in career mode
    • Highly expensive virtual legendary sports cars (In the real world, a lot of rare sports cars' prices will raise, making them collectible items)
    • Most contents were recycled from GT Sport at the launch

Here is how they should improve it:

• Remove the online DRM (If players hacked their saved data and the game, just ban them).
    • All single-player races are better to feature a double-file lineup rather than a single-file lineup during rolling starts, not separated by several meters
    • Have dual handling model option: Simcade and Hardcore Sim Racing (Optimized for both controller pad and racing wheel peripheral respectively) plus updated as well
    • Say goodbye to expensive MTX
    • Improved penalty system
    • Having updated visual & performance damage
    • Have an updated roster of playable cars and tracks
    • Having proper endurance events in the career mode
    • Make legendary cars more affordable or obtainable as prize cars
    • Having mid-save during race sessions
    • Improved AI
    • No more broken roulette
    • Make it less like an MMO game.

Sidenote: Not every racing game with licensed cars have 50% or above accuracy in terms of visual damage, due to the car manufacturers' restrictions.

Edit: Yeah, GT7 appears to be heavily protested, yet there are still quite a lot of players playing online racing.

Avatar image for wasteland_alpha
    WasteLand_Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

From someone who was around when the first Gran Tourismo was launched, and slip slided around the track in my Acura NSX......

yawn........

"I wonder what the next Forza Horizon will have? Mexico sure looked really pretty in the last one."

Matt

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gtxforza

@wasteland_alpha:

Ok, for the story of the original Gran Turismo for PS1, it was pretty interesting with the first generation of Acura/Honda NSX, now I wish the 2024 Honda Civic Type R GT500 class race car to appear both in Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series.

Oh, for Forza Horizon 6, I hope it will take place in Japan.

Edit: Yeah working on Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series' car handling model are both super hard to get as accurate as possible to the real-world plus hiring various professional race car drivers to test drive the real cars on various race circuits is the only way to give feedback to the handling model directors so the programmers can replicate it's handling to video games.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bigsocrates  Online

@gtxforza: You seem to think that Polyphony Digital is separate from Sony based on your claims that Sony "manipulated" it and your hopes that it will earn more money. It's not. It's a completely owned subsidiary and has never been independent of Sony. It doesn't earn any of its own money (though it's possible Sony apportions budget based on its projects revenue, though I doubt it) and it can't be manipulated by the company that owns it because Sony doesn't have to manipulate anything, it just tells Polyphony what to do the same way that it tells any other first party studio what to do, or how Microsoft tells the Xbox division what to do.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gtxforza

@bigsocrates: Well, it's just my guess about Gran Turismo 7's controversy. Hmm... we'll see what the future of this franchise is going to be like.

Edit: From one generation to one another, developing big games for PC, PlayStation and Xbox console gaming platforms, got even more expensive unfortunately.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My two biggest wants are better AI and damage. Forza always seemed better even from the start with AI.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gtxforza
    @superslidetail said:

My two biggest wants are better AI and damage. Forza always seemed better even from the start with AI.

Yes, we always want good AI in racing games in general, but please note that the Gran Turismo series and Forza Motorsport series both will not feature the best visual damage, due to the car licensing restrictions as they ask both Polyphony Digital and Turn 10 for that.

Edit: If any sort of in-game cars is not-licensed/generic, it's up to the game developer to make them can go burst into flames or getting exploded like in the Burnout series for example, meanwhile all car manufacturers hate seeing their cars in video games getting exploded or burst into flames.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gtxforza

@superslidetail: I'm not trying to force you to stick with the GRID series. To me, car handling/physics/driving model accuracy to the real world is a more important aspect of realistic racing games which will make us feel more like driving or racing in a real car but crashing is not a fun thing to do at all, because this is what players with a 12-year-old mindset would do plus it's disrespectful too.

In the real world of motor racing, any contestant caught on purposely crashing into others, their racing license will get banned from entering any sort of motor racing series for life.

Here is a YouTuber called viperconcept, if you watch his video about evaluating racing games, he will bring up the car handling for each sub-genre so you will get more information.

Loading Video...
    superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand what you're saying but as for myself who does not play online against other people and only against the CPU, it would be nice to show damage if I happen to bump into an AI car...ya know to show mistakes in a sense. God knows I've gotten bumped into by the AI cars in GT for two decades now as well. I'm just asking for a little more realism in my simcade is all, I don't need full racing sim like iRacing or w/e the "real" ones are.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superslidetail: Understood, I can see Gran Turismo's current AI are still pretty dumb and rude for ramming onto the players, so Polyphony Digital is better to hire a superior AI programmer or ask the current AI programmer to get it fixed.

For myself, in Q3 2021, I became more of an iRacing player than the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series when it comes to online racing plus I find iRacing online players are more polite than the ones in Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series.

Anyway, which peripheral do you prefer to use? racing wheel or controller pad?

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: Oh I just use a controller. A wheel is too involved for me lol.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superslidetail: I see, using a racing wheel with force feedback can be really complex for beginners, also, not everyone can afford a racing wheel or have space for it.

Not to mention iRacing is an expensive MMO full sim racing game to play, where players pay for subscriptions plus in-game content.

Hairyreddog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GT8 in development? Great. We'll see it in 8 years.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GT8 in development? Great. We'll see it in 8 years.

Thank you for your optimism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.