Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 17, 2009

Take control of Huang Lee, the son of a Triad mob boss, in an destructive romp throughout Liberty City in his quest for revenge, money and honour in Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars.

GTA: Chinatown Wars sales below expectation.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Source: GameSpy

Too mature for the DS?
    Too mature for the DS?
    EEDAR's Jesse Divnich thinks that mature DS titles are still 'risky.'

It seems as though initial sales figures for Rockstar's extremely well-received mature Nintendo DS game,Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, were not as high as expected.

In a 
    report from Gamasutra, EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich said, "It appears the industry may have been over-zealous with initial expectations on how GTA: Chinatown Wars would perform based upon the news it had received one of the highest quality scores for a Nintendo DS title."

The game sold around 200,000 units in March, which is apparently less than was expected. Divnich thinks that this will ultimately lead to less M-rated games appearing on the Nintendo DS in the future.

Quality scores alone don't seem to be a major driver of sales on the DS, says Divnich -- he says many other DS titles, irrespective of their ESRB ratings, have scored 90 and above on Metacritic and have never broken 300,000 units in 3 months in North America.

"The results from Chinatown are an important benchmark for the industry, as it will be the best-performing mature rated title on the Nintendo DS to date coupled with one of the strongest mature-rated game brands," says Divnich.

Could he be right?  The reality is, if the DS game does not exceed the sales of the games on the PSP, despite lesser reviews and a smaller console user base, then it could only considered a failed game, a very good failed game.  I think the PSP games sold well over a million each.

Plus, if this fails, then games like No More Heroes DS and Madworld DS will likely never exist (not that they ever were, just picking out a couple of names).

Do you think that like many other DS games, that Chinatown Wars will have long legs and just keep going, surprising us with a big end total, or will it stagnate and die?
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

I think this does have a point that is indicative of a majority of the DS-user base, not neccessarily that a majority of DS users aren't looking for mature content, but certainly that they aren't interested in the critical reception of a game.

But even then, Grand Theft Auto is a franchise that should sell all on its own, so perhaps DS owners just aren't interested in playing this type of game.

I will say this -- traditionally Grand Theft Auto games aren't your "evergreen" sellers (like Wii Fit, Mario Kart, etc) -- they normally have their sales spike and then slowly fade away.

Speaking for myself, I didn't buy the game because I just can't find value in paying £25 for handheld games. Am I missing out? Probably, but I just find DS games WAY too expensive.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Linkyshinks

What an idiotic analyst...To compare the sales of a 2 year old game alongside the sales of a game which had at the time been released for two weeks, to then imply from that - mature games don't sell as well on Nintendo DS.

I did not post this story because it's a dumb one, a story which gives him way too much advertising.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool

The game works out £34 in Australia.  That is stopping me.  I won't consider it unless it is about £18, after all, I only paid £12 each fort the 2 PSP games.  I won't pay £34 for any game, even Final Fantasy.

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Hairydutchman

"The game sold around 200,000 units in March, which is apparently less than was expected."

Is it? I think 200,000 in two weeks is pretty damn good.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
    Linkyshinks said:
    "What an idiotic analyst...To compare the sales of a 2 year old game alongside the sales of a game which had at the time been released for two weeks, to then imply from that - mature games don't sell as well on Nintendo DS.

I did not post this story because it's a dumb one, a story which gives him way too much advertising.
    "
    Ouch!

I just see it as a starting point for discussion.  I am sitting on an analyst story from several years ago, that is hilarious with the passage of time.  Analysts talk a lot of crap when it comes to the games industry.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

While I agree comparing a 2-year game with a new one is idiotic -- GTA's do tend to open big and slowly die out.

Do you really think Chinatown Wars is going to push a million?

Hairydutchman said:

""The game sold around 200,000 units in March, which is apparently less than was expected."

Is it? I think 200,000 in two weeks is pretty damn good.

"
    It's not GTA good though:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/07/grand-theft-auto-ivs-firs_n_100679.html
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

I'm not too surprised; the people who play GTA are poser 13-year-olds and casual adult males. These people don't own DSes.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    "I'm not too surprised; the people who play GTA are poser 13-year-olds and casual adult males. These people don't own DSes."
    Care to expand?

I have been known to refer to the core audience of GTA as 13 year old boys who think they are cool, and that GTA is a big, well made, violent  casual game.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By c1337us

As I have said previously here, personally my recent history with the GTA franchise sort of ruled me out of considering it as a purchase. But since its release I can safely say that based on what I have seen of the game now I still wouldnt have bought it even if I never knew anything about GTA. It just doesnt look that good to me and I doubt it would hold my interest for very long. Also the price for it is crazy high for what it is. I am no analyst but my guess is that given the device its on and the departure in game style as some series fans wary if not skeptical of it. I could see steady sales then a slight spike in sales at price drop (about the time poeple feel a little more safe about handing over their hard earned for it) and then fade away gradually after that.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    oldschool said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "What an idiotic analyst...To compare the sales of a 2 year old game alongside the sales of a game which had at the time been released for two weeks, to then imply from that - mature games don't sell as well on Nintendo DS.

"
    Ouch!

I just see it as a starting point for discussion.  I am sitting on an analyst story from several years ago, that is hilarious with the passage of time.  Analysts talk a lot of crap when it comes to the games industry.
    "

lol, I meant no offense to you posting it. it's just that when I saw the original story, I was angry to the point of not wanting to post myself. I hate such analyst stuff anyway, don't you? They have a habit of coming out with lame predictions that are rubbish in the eyes of gamers, one's who know the real market far better than themselves. Most of their predictions with the PS3 were in particular woefully bad.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#13  Edited By LordAndrew

Should have included a question mark in the title or otherwise indicated that this came from an analyst.
    I've never even heard of EEDAR. Is this Jesse Divinch really worth listening to?

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Babble

Well I don't think the game was marketed as well as it could have however I think it will sell well but over a much longer period of time.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    LordAndrew said:
    "Should have included a question mark in the title or otherwise indicated that this came from an analyst. I've never even heard of EEDAR. Is this Jesse Divinch really worth listening to? "
    Probably not.  Have you ever heard of an analyst worth listening to?

I see this more about ourselves analysing the sales of GTA and making our own thoughts on the subject.  It was just a starting point.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By oldschool

UPDATE:

Now the analysts can't agree, yet we all agree that analysts are not worth the money they are paid:

No Caption Provided

As one of the few M-rated games on Nintendo's DS platform, and 
    the only Grand Theft Auto game, you can bet that game industry insiders are keeping an eye on sales of the recently released Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. Alas, NPD numbers won't be available until later this week, so we'll have to leave it to the analysts to predict the Chinatown Wars sales trajectory. But what are we to do if, as MTV reports, even the analysts can't agree?

According to MTV, Wedbush Morgan's 
    Michael Pachter is predicting that the title sold a whopping 450,000 copies. Meanwhile, Jesse Divinich of EEDAR expects less than half of that figure, predicting around 200,000 copies. It's chaos out there, folks, and proof that people just don't know what to make of a high profile, M-rated game on Nintendo's cash machine. We suggest you get inside, lock the doors and board up the windows until we have official March NPD numbers to quell this storm.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

I was wondering how it did and it is a shame it underperformed. I have bought it and it is one of the best DS games I have ever played, as the review scores show as well. I hope that this game is just getting a slow start and will pick up later, but that might not be the case. It is a shame if M-rated games are deemed taboo because of this. Dementium, RE: Deadly Silence, Ultimate Mortal Kombat, Touch the Dead and this aren't the only games with a M-rating that I want on my DS.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ

This means I have to go out and buy it now. It wasn't high on my wish-list, but we need more games like this, and im willing to shell out 30+ bucks to make it happen.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    AgentJ said:
    "This means I have to go out and buy it now. It wasn't high on my wish-list, but we need more games like this, and im willing to shell out 30+ bucks to make it happen."
    If it was only $30.  For me it is $70 ($50 US).  Maybe $50 ($35 US) could get me into it.  I want the game because I actually do believe it will be the first GTA that I actually enjoy, plus some stupid feeling of obligation to support a company that actually makes a good effort to create something special. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.