Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto IV

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Apr 29, 2008

Take on the role of Niko Bellic, a Serbian immigrant who comes to the US at his cousin Roman's request, to find a better life, search for "that special someone" and participate in lawless activities in an upgraded generation of Liberty City.

**Spoilers ahead** Did the ending of GTA dissapoint anyone else?

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Psynapse

Hi guys, I picked deal for GTA... and i have to say i was a tad disapointed at the ending.. The leading up to the end of the game was really good, until after the wedding... The chase for Dimitri was anything but epic, and the ending was just weird and left me sitting there going.... 'Uhh WTF?'... Now Kate won't even answer the phone the stupid bitch (havn't done the warm coffee achievement yet...)..

Did anyone else kind of find that it was abit less than what they thought the ending would be? Yeah it was sad and whatever... But i would have been so much happier if it ended at the wedding...

Care to comment guys?

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I mean, it depends on the ending.  Choose to kill Dimitri, and Kate dies. 

Well, now that I write that, I guess it doesn't really depend on the ending.  Aside from Niko's character development, the narrative in GTA IV was pretty lackluster all-around.  Mostly hampered by the repetitive mission design, the storyline as an entity worked on too many cliches and clear plot devices to be truly satisfying. 

So, long story short, yes.  A disappointment.  I liked the game, but man, it could have exceeded in numerous ways.  It felt very much like a "status quo" Grand Theft Auto.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By danielkempster

I chose revenge, and I was a little bit disappointed by that ending. Given how much we learn about Niko through the game, and how much the player's choices can influence and build on his personality, I didn't feel the ending really offered enough closure. After the events at the wedding, Niko is still a deeply troubled guy and I didn't feel the ending provided a solution for him. Perhaps Rockstar are keeping it open with the intention of adding to the story, though (DLC's on the way).

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Psynapse

Well yeah i guess that the DLC is on the way as you said... And after the less than satisfying ending, i'll be probably picking this up to see what happens next... Damn rockstar making me spend all of my money!!

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By TEAMHOLT

The ending where Kate dies was pretty bad, mostly because the game failed to really make her matter too much to you.

Roman's ending kind of had a point, though: Even when Niko tried to do the right thing by burying a grudge and moving on, shit still didn't work out. That's life.
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By PufferFiz

i didnt think the DLC would really continue the story where it left off but just add more missions and and island or something.
    ill never know i have it on the ps3 but i liked the ending i was disappointed that kate died and i thought they could have done something more at the end .

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By twenty0ne

Nah, I thought it was pretty good. But I haven't played any other GTA games, so I have nothing to base my opinion on.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
    TEAMHOLT said:
    "The ending where Kate dies was pretty bad, mostly because the game failed to really make her matter too much to you.
    Roman's ending kind of had a point, though: Even when Niko tried to do the right thing by burying a grudge and moving on, shit still didn't work out. That's life.
    "
    No, that's crime.  The whole point of the game is that crime doesn't pay.    And I couldn't agree more about Kate.  They really didn't make her matter very much at all.  I saved, saw both endings, and left my game with Kate dead.  I couldn't have cared less.
    mattbodega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By mattbodega

I thought it was one of the greatest endings in the history of video games. So much violence, motivated by money and revenge, and for what? What did Nico actually accomplish?
    Allowing Nico to understand the futility of his own actions-which, slyly, allows the player to realize the futility of their in-game "choices", and the "lie" of Free-Roaming games(that there is no freedom, and the player is still being led around by the designers at every turn)- was one of the smartest, saddest video game endings. After finishing that game, I couldn't't touch my 360 for weeks. I was shaken up.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    MattBodega said:
    "I thought it was one of the greatest endings in the history of video games. So much violence, motivated by money and revenge, and for what? What did Nico actually accomplish?
    Allowing Nico to understand the futility of his own actions-which, slyly, allows the player to realize the futility of their in-game "choices", and the "lie" of Free-Roaming games(that there is no freedom, and the player is still being led around by the designers at every turn)- was one of the smartest, saddest video game endings. After finishing that game, I couldn't't touch my 360 for weeks. I was shaken up.
    "
    your weird :P
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MattBodega said:
    "I thought it was one of the greatest endings in the history of video games. So much violence, motivated by money and revenge, and for what? What did Nico actually accomplish?
    "
    I have to disagree with this entirely. 

That said, hyperbolic interpretations like these are that which compel me to experience the art in question once again.  So, thank you, Matt, because I may just start a new campaign in GTA IV to try and immerse myself in the same feeling.
    Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Psynapse
    MattBodega said:
    "

I definitly agree with you there Matt, like i said the ending missions were really good, with Dimitri killing Pegorino etc and that was really good and all the twists and turns in the game was fantastic... But the ending when you killed Dimitri, and then it just stops... It felt like it was missing something... That hole that i have will hopefully be filled in the DLC.
    alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By alexl86

I guess the revenge ending depends a little on how many dates you go on. I guess the game expects you to go one three to four dates with her before she's killed. I didn't think it was really missing something, Pegorino was pissed because he lost money and pretty much everything else, so he tried to gun Niko down and hit Kate, Niko takes revenge.

Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Balls

Yeah, it did. I was hoping for more gore especially after all the build up. 

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb

No, but it is the closest a video game has ever gotten to making me cry. I was sad about Kate's death for weeks after I finished the story and it made me feel kind of empty inside. I loved the ending and the theme was brilliant, in its expression of the frivolity of revenge and the destruction it can do to you and the ones you love.

Deep, right?

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TheGamerGeek

Just to get this straight, if you make a deal with Demitri, UL Paper kill's Roman right?Because I just killed the guy and I was pretty depressed that Kate died.I really was close to tears at the end, some games just do that kinda stuff to me.(I.E. MGS IV,  I cried after I beat that game)

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By alexl86

I dunno if Kate's death is sad enough to warrant tears, though I can relate. Aeris's death in FFVII messed me up to the point I get choked up whenever I hear her theme.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

i chose revenge, which thinking about it seems like the right ending in regards to what seems canonical and I thought it was great. Very understated and very dramatic, though I would have preferred it without Little Jacob's helicopter stuff and it has just been a straight up chase to Happiness Island.

Peronsonally, I believe the problem everyone seems to have with this game is they came in expecting more of San Andreas, which in my opinion was just too gimmick heavy, so with all that stuff stripped away, people complain and totally ignore how well done the story is.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By RHCPfan24

I liked the ending.  I chose revenge and the leadup to Pegerino's death was pretty neat.  I feel that GTA4 had a great story and presentation. 

DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DavidSnakes
    TEAMHOLT said:
    "The ending where Kate dies was pretty bad, mostly because the game failed to really make her matter too much to you."
    I really enjoyed this game, and I think it's the best GTA ever, but Kate was definitely not developed enough.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By suneku

I enjoyed the ending, it didn't wow me or anything but it wasn't bad.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Psynapse

Yeah well i didn't go on any dates with Kate... I wanted to get the under 30 hours acheivement.. Finished it in 24 hours... So now she won't talk to me at all... (I chose deal).

So i've got no Roman, and no Kate... gay! I didn't even get the warm coffee achievement. Guess i have to go to the internet cafe now to pick up a slut :P

boring_prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By boring_prophet

I don't like how Pegorino was kinda shoehorned in as the main bad guy. It should've been Dimitri on Happiness Island for the "Deal" ending or it should've ended with Dimitri on The Platypus for the "Revenge" ending. Personally though, despite not being anywhere near as challenging as either ending, I really think the story should have ended with Darko.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Looking back, I wish the game had more endings with more variations. I wish that the choices that you had made during the game would've made a difference for which ending you got, instead of it just being one choice.

Brando1788

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Brando1788

It was greatest story Ive ever seen on a video game although the ending did dissapoint me a bit(I chose revenge)and I was kinda hoping for something else to happen to end it with a bang!

Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Joker
    MattBodega said:
    "
    I think you read more into the ending that what was really there.
    Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Bennyishere

I liked the ending. I was surprised and a bit sad.

Mardarkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mardarkin
    Joker said:
    "MattBodega said: I think you read more into the ending that what was really there."

Nope.  That's a pretty legit analysis of the conclusion.  The Land of the Free - and crime - is empty, a facade; the ending reflects that idea very well.
    creamstatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By creamstatic
    Bennyishere said:
    "I liked the ending. I was surprised and a bit sad."
    the ending really made me think about life. how messed up it really is for so many people. MAde me think, no matter how much good you do, there are people who are less fortunate and or born into a life of pain and are faced with only one choice, to deal with it the best they can. It speaks the story of so many lives, if not on the same gory levels. It really made me sad. It's what made me play through it twice. The story is the best out of all GTA stories so far. So many people go through life losing the ones they love too. And if you've ever lost someone you love or know what love is inside, the lead up to both endings affect you in some way. Bravo to Rockstar.
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By MKHavoc

I got the ending where Roman dies.  I thought it was pretty sad when I got the phone call that he was having a baby.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By clubsandwich

The roman ending really shocked me I was like "nooooooooooooooooooooo!! D: " but then when I thought of it, it was such a crappy miserable death, that I really didn't felt sad, overall GTA IV story was meh and disappointing to me.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

necropost!  i thought it would be better to post in an existing topic rather than making my own.
    i beat the game around 2 hours ago and i just felt disappointing all around.  first off, i killed demitri because he kept threatening my family and i just hated him ever since he turned on Mikhail.  I was angry when Kate died because Niko seemed really happy and i had a feeling they wouldve gotten married to be honest.  you know the mobster that killed Kate?  honest to God i forgot that i even interacted with him at some point and i thought he was a new character.  the last episode was pretty solid but the ending just felt...  not right.  i was aimlessly walking around the island for 30 minutes hoping that some crazy secret conclusion was going to happen.  i invested (what felt like) quite a bit of time into the game because of those annoying driving/following/delivery missions.  the fact that almost all the missions were like that made it even worse.  the combination of the jankiness and those repetitive missions really forced me to grind it out.  

i found out that there was another ending and i have a save right before the ending-altering decision however i really dont feel like playing anymore of the game.  im just tired of it

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VisariLoyalist

I was disappointed that it ended so yes 

XanderCrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By XanderCrews

I was disappointed with the game, and story a couple hours into it.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:
    i beat the game around 2 hours ago and i just felt disappointing all around.  first off, i killed demitri because he kept threatening my family and i just hated him ever since he turned on Mikhail.  I was angry when Kate died because Niko seemed really happy and i had a feeling they wouldve gotten married to be honest.  you know the mobster that killed Kate?  honest to God i forgot that i even interacted with him at some point and i thought he was a new character.  the last episode was pretty solid but the ending just felt...  not right.  i was aimlessly walking around the island for 30 minutes hoping that some crazy secret conclusion was going to happen. 
    GTA IV is just straight up not for you.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead
    yeah im gonna agree with you.  i think i was expecting too much out of the ending and i was expecting an actual conclusion to Niko Belic's story but its a GTA game so i shouldnt have expected it...
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: But there is a conclusion. The end basically says that Niko is a good guy because he doesn't feel any better after killing the last guy even if he did it expecting some revenge high. I don't really remember much else about the game because it's been so long since I'ce played it but it had far more closure than most video games that just lead right into sequel baiting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HandsomeDead:  its just too bad because i really wanted Niko to get out of it and live a normal life but i knew it would never happen...  i guess i became invested in the characters and knowing that i cant really interact with them anymore.  i know i can hang out with them but ive never liked doing those activities.  yeah for my ending Roman was like "we won!" while Niko was all solemn about the whole thing.  i can say i liked how they portrayed the message but i just wasnt satisfied by the ending
    RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RedneckedCrake

Sounding like a broken record in this thread because numerous people have said this, but really didn't see why Niko was so attracted to Kate. The first time I played, I chose the money, because I wanted to help support Roman and Mallory and give them a nice wedding. So when Roman got killed, I was pretty fucking pissed. That in itself told me that the ending was pretty effective in making me feel something for Niko after his cousin got killed. I mean, Roman is really all he has in terms of true family. Plus, he got killed at his fucking wedding. That's pretty awful.

Once I found out the other ending had Kate end up dead, I was really glad I chose the ending where Roman dies, or I would have been like "so what? I didn't connect with Kate much anyway"

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

I rememeber being shattered when Kate got slaughtered

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
    Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

Absolutely, I felt the order of things needed to be changed.

After I choose not to kill the main dude (forget his name, it's been awhile), Niko seems much more humanized. Except as I was driving home from that, I was speeding, running traffic lights, crashing into fire hydrants/people, etc. There was then another mission, where Niko is expected to go out on a murdering spree, negating the entire mercy thing. If they put finding the guy as the very last mission, it may have actually kept the impact. But as is, the game immediately contradicts itself as soon as possible. 

Also, frustrating GTA gameplay. I missed the jump onto the helicopter like five times and had to repeat the entire mission each time.

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By AndyAce83

I think the point of the ending, as all GTA games, is that crime doesn´t pay. Your doomed if you do and your doomed if you don´t. Once you get in you can´t get out, and it will hurt the ones you love.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ABritishNerd
    @AndyAce83 Bit of a late reply isn't it?
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Serendipitous that this topic was dug up today, as I'm nearing the end of my second playthrough of GTA IV. As much as I enjoy it, I'm really not looking forward to the bitter ending it leaves on.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By r0k1ll

If Kate dies, then it sucked. If Roman dies then it was awesome.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Arker101

@HandsomeDead said:

i chose revenge, which thinking about it seems like the right ending in regards to what seems canonical and I thought it was great. Very understated and very dramatic, though I would have preferred it without Little Jacob's helicopter stuff and it has just been a straight up chase to Happiness Island.Peronsonally, I believe the problem everyone seems to have with this game is they came in expecting more of San Andreas, which in my opinion was just too gimmick heavy, so with all that stuff stripped away, people complain and totally ignore how well done the story is.

I completely agree. I liked Nico so much, when Kate got shot, I felt sorry for the guy. No matter what kind of crime he does, it never pays off. That's the reason I loved the story, it made me like a group of characters who, to say it lightly, were criminals.

AndyAce83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47  Edited By AndyAce83

@ABritishNerd: Well... GTA V just made it current ;-) If I was a betting man I would spend good money that GTA V will have a "crime cost morality" at the end to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.