Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 26, 2004

The follow-up to Vice City takes the Grand Theft Auto series' free-roaming violence into 1992 and the fictional state of San Andreas as several criminal gangs wage war for control of the streets.

GTA San Andreas Re-release!

• 70 results
    AlexDAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@hatking: Controls are smoothed out quite a bit, as their related to the iOS version, I've played through a 3rd of the game already, and I'm having a blast!... no pun intended.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

Played the crap out of this today. Mostly really enjoying it. Yeah, the car handling and overall shooting is dog shit by today's standards but if you played it at the time, you can get used to it again.

This version of the game seems to be based on the mobile version and it's mostly a solid port. The addition of checkpoints makes playing through this much less frustrating and more enjoyable than before. Also, if you get killed outside of a missions, you still respawn at the hospital but they don't take away your guns anymore, which is also nice.

There do seem to be some nasty bugs in this version that I would like to see ironed out though. Some of the cutscenes for me have had the audio completely cut out halfway through and judging by what others are saying, this seems to be a common occurence. I got to San Fierro today and it happened during 3 cutscenes for me. However, the most annoying thing for me is that the radio stations seem to be a bit borked. I have noticed that the radio will skip every now and again. So imagine you cruising around listening to some Slick Rick or something, and then all of a sudden, the radio skips and then you are listening to a new song! It's a really shitty glitch but you might not really notice it but I love the soundtrack for this game and that's a huge bummer. Some of the songs in the original also didn't make it like Hellraiser and Killing in the Name but most of them are still in there.

So yeah, for £3 it's a no brainer! Some annoying bugs here and there halt this from being a really great version of the game. The PC version is a pain in the ass with it's compatibility problems with newer Operating Systems and obviously the old PS2/Xbox versions really are pretty hard to go back to because of their overly fuzzy graphics. This HD update is a welcome addition and at £3, that's really generous of Rockstar, considering they used to sell the PS2 version of San Andreas digitally on the PSN store for £8.

I would really like to see GTA III and Vice City of course but I would also buy a HD version of Manhunt and Red Dead Revolver too!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexdaj: Man. Really wish they did this with III and Vice City. Also, kind of wish this was coming to Xbox One/PS4. I don't much feel like playing a 360 game. If I'm going to hook up an old console to play an old GTA game, I might as well plug in my PS2.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

A few weeks ago Microsoft added $6 to my account because apparently I had issues using the Xbox Video service. So I pretty much got this for free!

Looking forward to seeing how this holds up to someone who has never played through it before. Kinda wish it was Vice City, though.

Also apparently San Andreas has been delisted from Steam and PSN, so they'll probably be getting this re-release soon.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By spiceninja

Is there any reason to get this if I have the PC version? Does it look any better?

murfree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So.... bought the game. It would seem to be a steal at $3.75. But the game locks up on the mission "Sweet's Girl." Also, the audio drops out during a lot of the cut scenes. It comes back after the mission starts. I can't get the game to stop hard locking my 360 on that mission. So I guess I'm done with it.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@hatking said:

@alexdaj: Man. Really wish they did this with III and Vice City. Also, kind of wish this was coming to Xbox One/PS4. I don't much feel like playing a 360 game. If I'm going to hook up an old console to play an old GTA game, I might as well plug in my PS2.

That is your fault for already having put your 360 away. The "old" consoles still have a lot of games coming out. PS3 seems to be having yet another great year in 2015 with a bunch of RPG's coming out among other things. I will have my 360 and PS3 out until at least 2016.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#58  Edited By Yummylee

@dagas said:

@hatking said:

That is your fault for already having put your 360 away. The "old" consoles still have a lot of games coming out. PS3 seems to be having yet another great year in 2015 with a bunch of RPG's coming out among other things. I will have my 360 and PS3 out until at least 2016.

I don't see why you thought it necessary to put old in quotation marks. Regardless of whether you're still using 'em or not (I myself still have my PS3 hooked up for the record; hope this port will make it over there as well) those consoles are still pretty bloody old. Even before the PS4/XB1 arrived they were long overdue for retirement considering how poorly most games ran on 'em.

AlexDAJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@murfree: You sure you didn't use any cheat codes? The xbox original had the same problem if you passed 400 cheats entered, and I know the iOS version halved that.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

In the first mission Big Smoke says "Oh, my motherfuckin' car!". Is that a Final Fight reference? I was a young teenager when I played this originally so I didn't really notice.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I'm completely uninterested. I think it's pointless that Rockstar has put resources into porting two old generation GTAs to release on a newer console in the same fall a month apart. This game was good, but not worth porting to 360. Anyone who loves it has played it and owns it for PC or a console. I'm not really interested in owning a third copy nor playing it a third time.

It's the Dragon's Lair Law being put to practice. The cost of making a game the first time is high, but then you get to rerelease that game on every system that comes after it for next to nothing. It's basically pure profit, and there is a chunk of people who will buy the same game two or three times if the price is right.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

This is still my favorite GTA. I don't much play the old 360 these days, and I figure GTA V coming out on X1 soon will scratch this itch, but I still have a soft spot for GTA:SA and will probably end up buying it just for the nostalgia. Jetpack!

aidros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Seems like some people may have played it by now. Does anybody know if the original cheat entries work for the Xbox version? Are there Cheats at all in this version?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I already have multiple copies of GTA: SA (a retail copy on disc from when it came out and a steam copy), but that's nice I guess. It was an alright game at the time.

I'm not excited for this "re-release" though. I remember the PC version being better than the console version anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if they just fix the resolution since they already have the means to do so from the PC version that already exists. So, in essence, I already have this game- twice. I don't need to buy it again.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

So did they rework any of the controls, or at least provide some options to get them closer to what you would expect from a GTA game these days? I bought the Xbox original version a long time ago, and it felt awful shooting with the face buttons.

Anyhow, for anyone wondering, here's a video of the new version:

Why did that guy seem to have so much trouble wrapping his head around the end result of a 4:3 resolution being displayed on a widescreen TV?

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By ikilledthedj

Anyduders know if you can get this in Australia? our store doesn't seam to have it, only the old version

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By oraknabo

I'm getting the audio cutoff in most cutscenes.

Avatar image for differenceengine
    DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, Rockstar is unleashing its inner Capcom. What is the point of this? It's not like GTA up to that point was ever big on graphics and detail. And the controls? Sigh.....the flying missions, how I don't miss them.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By groin

This release is a buggy mess. I am not very far into it but I have experienced many issues.

• The voice audio suddenly disappears in cutscenes.
    • I soft-locked the game in the 3rd mission. I was unable to move my character but it let me access the menu to reload my save.
    • The game hard-locked several times when fading to black on the "Sweet's Girl" mission. This mission eventually worked after 3-4 attempts.
    • The frame rate often dips into the 10-15 FPS range.
    oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can't get ANY of the rhythm games to work right.

I don't think the timing on the sticks or button presses is quite the same as the original. I remember these being difficult in the original and they haven't properly adjusted the game to it. Especially on the lowrider competition, most of my inputs fail even when it seems like I've done it right.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this an official re-release by Rockstar? I can't find any info on their site.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.