Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

Anyone playing GTA 4 to get yourself ready for GTA 5?

JoelHulsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Booted up Lost and the Damned this morning (never really played either DLC) and will be going through both DLC's over the weekend to get myself all in the GTA mood.

Woot!!

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am, when I preordered V through the PSN store I bought IV at a discount. I'm about 2/3rd the way through the original game. I would like to finish it and the DLC before Tuesday but I don't think that will happen.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did try it somewhat recently again, when I bought EFLC pc-version from a sale, but just to see how it runs on my current PC. Rather keep the experience more "fresh" 'till I get my hands on the real thing.

Heltom92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea I've played a bit of 4 on the pc recently. I have to say that I disagree with Brad and I'm having a great time with it. I thought going from SR4 to GTA4 would be tough but it's still really fun, although it does feel a little dated in some parts.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I played IV recently, I didn't care that much for it on release and care even less for it now... it hasn't aged that well and it really is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW and not in a very immersive or gratifying way either :(

I have to wait on GTA V though because I donated my Sex Box to charity.

Ballad Of Gay Tony is fantastic though.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By strainedeyes

The gameplay does feel dated, shooting especially, but I still think all the cutscenes and the city are both stellar.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I tried a couple time to play Lost and Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony but i just concluded that i'm more into that running over people and killing cops business than doing the actual missions.

GTA IV and its expansions' missions just aren't doing it for me. But driving around like a maniac is still a ton of fun.

I did beat regular GTA IV once.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By bigjeffrey

Trying to play Ballad Of Gay Tony, man this game controls like garbage. That Helicopter mission Fuck that.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

GTA4 was a huge disappointment to me, so no.

I am playing Episodes of Liberty City though. Pretty great so far.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Which one ? The one where you need to follow the car or blow up the yacht ? The controls are so outdated!

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Which one ? The one where you need to follow the car or blow up the yacht ? The controls are so outdated!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix said:

After blowing up the yacht, you need to chase the boats. FUUUUUU

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By DharmaBum

I've been playing it consistently for the past 5 years. It's a goddamn masterpiece.

Probably my favorite in the series (until V comes out) for its vivid recreation of NYC and Niko.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played the DLC packs and won't be able to before GTA V, but I'll certainly go back to them. GTA IV was a fantastic game, a little slow perhaps, but I don't understand why in 2008 it was a 'masterpiece' and now it's 'the worst in the series'.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally did, just like I played III in preparation for IV. I actually promised myself to 100% III from scratch before IV came out, and I followed through.

ionkinetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ionkinetic

I'am playing Red Dead Redemption multiplayer. I just need to get the blisterings speeds from Saints Row 4 out of my system before the 17th

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bigjeffrey: YUUUP. GTAIV had the worst controlling helicopters this side of Battlefield 3.

I beat GTAIVover the summer break in preparation and now I'm just dicking around in San Andreas. If V is even two thirds as detailed, varied and fun as SA, I'll be ecstatic.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'm trying to finish red dead redemption. I NEED to finish the main story, that game is so old now. Such a good game though.

ionkinetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By DystopiaX

nah, I last beat it+episodes like 6 months ago for the 3rd time, don't need to go back again.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By Seppli

Nah, I spent a lot of time on it back in the day. I've very fond memories of it. That's enough. I'll just get on this new shit with fresh eyes!

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phantomzxro

@seppli said:

Nah, I spent a lot of time on it back in the day. I've very fond memories of it. That's enough. I'll just get on this new shit with fresh eyes!

This!

Smari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, lost my save in TBoGT and never finished it, reinstalled and booted it up and plan on finishing it tomorrow.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Nope. SR4 just came out in Australia (finally), so I hope to take it in over the weekend. Then GTA5 on Tuesday!!!

billymaysrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the opposite for me. I've put in 650 hours into GTA IV according to Steam. When they announced GTA V, I replayed the campaign (it's still great) and haven't played since 4/20 when I got uhhh... excited and played it again without thinking. I'm ready for GTA V.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I bought the disc with the main game and the DLC's and never played any of it but seeing as I'm knee keep in Dead or Alive 5 and Project Diva F probably not.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By spraynardtatum

Hell yeah. I iced it out on the pc and it's like a brand new game. I love the slower nature of GTA 4. It's a modern classic. One of my favorite games of all time.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah. I iced it out on the pc and it's like a brand new game. I love the slower nature of GTA 4. It's a modern classic. One of my favorite games of all time.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By endoworks

I've been playing it, I picked it up a few weeks ago on GreenMan for like $12 for the whole GTA series, I played about 10 hours and stopped just because I didn't want to burn out before GTAV

CapnThrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im trying to stay away from open world games and 3rd person shooters until GTAV. dont want to burn out on any of it.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Been playing GTA3 on my ps3. That game is awesome, even if the lock-on shooting gives me a headache sometimes.

Petsovernight.com still makes me laugh

LeYcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LeYcH

I tried to play GTA4 again, but I installed some mods and all of the cars turned into taxis so I gave up.

DickSocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decided to try and finally complete Gay Tony. I think I burned out when I tried last time as I'd just gone through all of Lost and Damned. There's a lot to like about Gay Tony, Gay Tony himself, but the controls are borderline terrible (not specifically TBoGT, all of GTAIV), getting in and out of cover is satanically bad, plus the the way the cover camera fights you for NO reason. Missions sound fun until you play them, die, have to watch an unskippable bit of in-game scripting play out for 5th time or endure a simple bit just ot get back to the tricky bit over and over. Everything apart from playing the game is quite good. Even if the story is hard to follow as the plot is scattered so thinly and main main line missions aren't even connected to the plot. Actually, come to think of it, there are only 2 things good about the game, Gay Tony and Yusuf.

And I have RDR which I *think* I'm near the end of. I want to play it much more than Ballad, but I think in terms of any possible returning characters, Ballad makes more sense.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrcraggle

It took me a long time to get through GTA IV. I got to about half way, maybe a bit more and just stopped. I do it a lot when i'm juggling between multiple games but GTA IV just bored me although I did go back eventually to finish it and thought the endings were pretty disappointing considering the build up. I hope that with 3 protagonists, they can keep their individual stories much more interesting and the gameplay overall as I thought the side missions were dull and the main ones just involved driving from A to B to C and shooting people along the way.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
    @leych said:

I tried to play GTA4 again, but I installed some mods and all of the cars turned into taxis so I gave up.

"HEY CAB!!!! MISTAR!!!!!!"

I played too much IV for a while so nah.

s2hogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By s2hogan

GTA4 has been my go-to game for a while now when I need to kill some time. I have a Story Complete save with cheats and just dick around. There is something about it that I've always enjoyed.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went back and finally finished TThe Ballad Of Gay Tony. Pretty good Expansion,

MY BODY IS READY FOR GTA V

Screen I Took, this will probably be a ant in the GTA 5 map
    Screen I Took, this will probably be a ant in the GTA 5 map

thebarrylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I replayed GTA IV just a few weeks ago. I still think it's excellent but I see why some people have their issues with it.

I think the characters are wonderful and upon replaying it - I really picked up on some great snippets of dialog that resonate a lot more on a second playthrough. I agree with something Patrick and Alex discussed this morning though; there is almost too much story in that game. I mean, I get it, it's GTA - but some serious trimming could be done with IV. The entire Alderny section feels tacked on and almost like a symptom of this trope they stick to where the three act story structure is embodied by the three-island composition of the map (a trend in III, Vice City and San Andreas). Also, the morality choices in that game blow. Most are pointless, and in the case of the final one - you have one ending that feels real, and one that feels thrown together with less interesting characters (sup Kate) purely in the name of "yay multiple endings!"

As great as the story is - its dry, very dour nature still feels bizarre in a GTA game. I'm glad they reigned themselves in and took a more serious route, but it is very heavy handed in some places and Niko often feels like a mouthpiece for Rockstar to just spew hamfisted dialog, beating you over the head with the game's themes, rather than an actual person.

I forgot how many 'go here, shoot that' missions there are, and it gets insanely monotonous towards the end. When they get creative (calling a target and tracking them down by their voice) it's awesome - when they over do the generic missions it exposes how clunky the cover system is, how slow and mundane the shooting is, and how bullet-spongey the enemies are.

Plus, all the old GTA foibles are still annoying. No check points, trying to find a damn restaurant to get health, your annoying acquaintances calling you go bowling.

Avatar image for deactivated-602e775c560ca
    deactivated-602e775c560ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I did. Only because I'm waiting for when I get the PS4 or get it on PC. I sold both my 360 and PS3 awhile back and hate to buy another console just for one game. Although it's very tempting.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MeierTheRed

God no.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.