Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grand Theft Auto V

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

Rockstar returns to the fictional state of San Andreas with a crew of three criminal protagonists who work together to pull off a series of high-profile heists.

So I hated Trevor (major endgame spoilers)

• 60 results
    korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

I liked the character simply because of how insane he was. I couldn't take GTA V's story seriously at all, and I didn't even try. It was just an insane parody of the US - that was pretty much the entire point of the story, laughing at mainstream Western Culture (which I adore, don't get me wrong, I freaking love the West, but GTA V did have some things to say about it). Trevor was a part of that insane ride. If you tried to take the story seriously, I can understand why you would hate the character. He's not for everyone.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I loved Trevor.

Must be because I'm Canadian or something but I just found his sense of humour fantastic. Didn't find him "disturbing" or "insane" or whatever. I dunno. Having a bit of a hard time understanding people's take on him. He's so much a part of the satire and message I don't see how/why you would analyze him on a morale, "as if he was a regular person" level.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I don't have any problem following a morally bad character in a movie or I book. I find it interesting. Some of my favorites, like American Psycho are following a character like that. Heat is really. In GTA V they even let the cops inside the armored car get away after they blew out their ear drums with the explosives. Heat is about bad people too.

Now Trevor is a bad guy. I hated him too right from the start with how he did Johnny, which was rough. But after that I found I just really found him funny, the writing and acting for him is excellent. To me he is really just a person who plays GTA in a crazy, violent way made real. And he is in a terrible dark world, lets not get confused. GTA V is bright and sunny but almost all the characters are pretty bad.

I guess I just really don't understand the need to morally identify with characters. But the thing is if you really don't like him you can get rid of him.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Trevor is the best characters that GTA has ever had. He's a sad, lonely, sociopath wrapped in the disguise of a madman. Michael says it best, Trevor is the proto-hipster. He hides his pain in being weird and scary, that is why he acts out like a bully. He is fiercely loyal to his friends and has little regard for those he finds weak or boring. You aren't supposed to like him and want to be his friend, but he is there to be a morbid fascination for the player.

All three characters are narcissistic psychopaths with family issues. Michael is the family man. Trevor is the madman. Franklin is the everyman. On their own they aren't the strongest of characters, but that is the beauty of GTAV - they aren't alone. The three of them together make it all work. None of them are good guys that I'd want to hang out with, but of the three Trevor is the train wreck I can't seem to look away from.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Trevor was really the only char in the game I enjoyed. Lamar was good in the first 20 mins. The rest of the cast was either just ok, or fucking painful to even deal with like Michaels family. I like to think that they tried to mix the last 3 games. Michael was a Tommy knock off from VC, Franklin brought the SA, and Trevor looks like an old version of the guy from GTA 3. As the guy from GTA 3 had no personality they took your in game actions as a prototype. Which was basically an insane asshole, as you mainly shoot people, run them over, or kill hookers.

Either way I was disappointed in GTA 5 when all was said and done. The city had no life to it, esp once you ran out of missions. I guess no one liked the friend missions in GTA 4, but they game the city some atmosphere, put you in touch with it on a more personal level. I really didnt feel any of that in GTA 5.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, I did really like "anyone" is the game. So it is hard to say I disliked Trevor any more than anyone else. However, it is a cartoon no matter how hard they trick the audience otherwise. Why? BECAUSE THEY NEED IT TO BE A CARTOON TO MAKE SENSE!!! This is a game where trying to play probably means you committed 300 unintentional hit & runs and millions in property damage through neglect. You didn't mean to hit those people and drag their body down the street under your fender...but you did..and you didn't stop.

So, what was so bad about Trevor again? Oh, he curb stomped a guy, he set a drug lab on fire with people in it, and he killed a man and a woman in an apartment...might have skin & eaten them too. Yeah, well YOU ran 30x as many people over, and probably used a bat on a person walking down the street...that one time. Who's the monster?

That is the problem this game will ALWAYS face, they make parts of it so real, but is cannot be played that real because much of they mayhem you cause is accidental. When the player messes up, hits someone, damaged twenty cars in five minutes, no real consequence can happen because that would stop the game.

I am not saying I like the mayhem or I would not love a more serious story, but making a more serious & logical story woudl be ahrd. This game's structure itself mean that most player will kill more people by committing 'hit & runs' than the story characters ever kill with a gun, knife, or grenade. This games structure means the player will ejects their own character out of the windshield of their car more often than the main character will ever torture an NPC. There is a narrative dissonance with reality that just cannot be overcome in these games (because of the freedom) without just turning a blind eye. The game can be made more logical for sure, but in some ways that will just make the player's accidental actions/mistakes all the more glaring.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, I did really like "anyone" is the game. So it is hard to say I disliked Trevor any more than anyone else. However, it is a cartoon no matter how hard they trick the audience otherwise. Why? BECAUSE THEY NEED IT TO BE A CARTOON TO MAKE SENSE!!! This is a game where trying to play probably means you committed 300 unintentional hit & runs and millions in property damage through neglect. You didn't mean to hit those people and drag their body down the street under your fender...but you did..and you didn't stop.

So, what was so bad about Trevor again? Oh, he curb stomped a guy, he set a drug lab on fire with people in it, and he killed a man and a woman in an apartment...might have skin & eaten them too. Yeah, well YOU ran 30x as many people over, and probably used a bat on a person walking down the street...that one time. Who's the monster?

That is the problem this game will ALWAYS face, they make parts of it so real, but is cannot be played that real because much of they mayhem you cause is accidental. When the player messes up, hits someone, damaged twenty cars in five minutes, no real consequence can happen because that would stop the game.

I am not saying I like the mayhem or I would not love a more serious story, but making a more serious & logical story woudl be ahrd. This game's structure itself mean that most player will kill more people by committing 'hit & runs' than the story characters ever kill with a gun, knife, or grenade. This games structure means the player will ejects their own character out of the windshield of their car more often than the main character will ever torture an NPC. There is a narrative dissonance with reality that just cannot be overcome in these games (because of the freedom) without just turning a blind eye. The game can be made more logical for sure, but in some ways that will just make the player's accidental actions/mistakes all the more glaring.

I hear what you're saying but you must be a terrible driver :P. The thing about GTA is that you can stop at a red light you know :/

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@sagalla said:

@monkeyking1969 said:

I hear what you're saying but you must be a terrible driver :P. The thing about GTA is that you can stop at a red light you know :/

Word. I don't think monkey king has quite figured out that just because you can act like a homicidal maniac that it means you should. If anything, with how brutal and psychotic the cops are in Los Santos, you'd want to keep the heat off your ass as much as possible. That said, weaving through lanes, making dime turns on corners, and blasting through a red light at the intersections can be pretty amazing. You know, when you get through it without a scratch on your whip.

I never understood this desire some players have to essentially be Trevor in gameplay, then complain about "ludonarrative dissonance" in the plot. Maybe it's because I got the homicidal shit out of my system way back with GTA 3.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Sagalla

@sagalla said:

@monkeyking1969 said:

Word. I don't think monkey king has quite figured out that just because you can act like a homicidal maniac that it means you should. If anything, with how brutal and psychotic the cops are in Los Santos, you'd want to keep the heat off your ass as much as possible. That said, weaving through lanes, making dime turns on corners, and blasting through a red light at the intersections can be pretty amazing. You know, when you get through it without a scratch on your whip.

I never understood this desire some players have to essentially be Trevor in gameplay, then complain about "ludonarrative dissonance" in the plot. Maybe it's because I got the homicidal shit out of my system way back with GTA 3.

Yeah I love the driving in GTA. I ride bikes and put the camera in first person because I'm a biker in real life and it's great to hurtle through traffic at top speed. GTA IV was the first game I really wanted to play and finish, because the trailers made me want to experience Niko's story, and seeing this Russian immigrant swear at the traffic as he tries to get from one side of city to the other without a scratch was a real highlight :)

Ksaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'd hate to see how offended people would get if Rockstar actually took a more subtle approach to their satire. As it stands they lay it on pretty goddamn thick. Franklin, Michael and Trevor are all pretty over the top caricatures and none of them are meant to be taken all that seriously. If they were, how could you possibly like any of them? They're all horrible, sociopathic mass murderers!

Even if you try to role play the game while playing as Franklin and Michael, and only kill the people that stand directly in the way of you completing the game, you're still going to have a body count of about 300 people, most of which would be cops who were just trying to do their fucking jobs. I'm sorry but if you kill any amount of people in the interest of making money, you're already a total piece of shit. I think the Trevor character is brilliant because Rockstar actually tried to shape a character around the way people typically play their games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.