Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grim Dawn

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Feb 25, 2016

An action-RPG in the same vein as Diablo, from Crate Entertainment.

Expansion coming next month!

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sanity

I got back into this recently and would have to say its the most fun i'v had with one of these since i was addicted to Diablo 2. As i get older im finding i like games i can just zone out in after work and listen to music or podcasts with to be what i enjoy most and this scratches that itch perfectly.

Anyways theirs a new expansion coming next month for like 18 bucks thats going to add a ton of new stuff. The devs have been saying its around half the size of the original game and looks like it will be a ton of fun. Anyone still playing or going to come back to this? I think i may get lost in it the rest of the year.

Also, that trailer music is amazing!

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

I've been meaning to buy Grim Dawn for a long time now, but I just needed a little something to nudge me over the edge. That trailer music just did it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, hopefully dual pistols will now be fun. Level cap raised to 100, a new cosmetic vendor, and more constellations. I think you only get 5 more devotion points though which is the only disappointing thing to me. 800+hours already so i am ready to jump back in, hopefully performance is better and they fix some of the glitches in controller support.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been eagerly awaiting it, but this timing really sucks =/ Doubt I'll be able to get around to it before next year.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, didn't even know this was coming, played through the entire original thing with a friend, it was pretty awesome.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, hopefully dual pistols will now be fun. Level cap raised to 100, a new cosmetic vendor, and more constellations. I think you only get 5 more devotion points though which is the only disappointing thing to me. 800+hours already so i am ready to jump back in, hopefully performance is better and they fix some of the glitches in controller support.

On a recent stream the devs said there trying to improve performance and adding DX11 support which will help. I hope its better because it dose slog down pretty bad and it seems that it has nothing to do with actual system performance. Guessing its just because the age of the engine at this point.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expansion is supposed to release today, there was a 1gb update and the main game is currently on sale for under 8 dollars. I believe the expansion will be 17.99

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is this game basically Diablo? I've never really looked into it before.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosesaredan: pretty much, its a lot more complicated than Diablo 3 though. I hear it compared more to diablo 2 and a game called titan quest(which this is a spiritual successor of sorta)

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rosesaredan: Its more akin to Titan Quest than Diablo since the same devs that made TQ are also involved with Grim Dawn.

The Skill system in this game is way different than Diablo 3 and even 2. Remember the way you had to level up your character in Dungeon Siege? The game where you don't pick the class, rather you create your own while leveling up and playing. Every level you can assign skill points into a skill tree that you have to choose on early in the game. For instance, you can pick the Warrior skill tree at level 1 and then a few levels later you can pick a arcane magic based skill tree, creating a sort of Battlemage. Or you can stick with one skill tree and level your character to become a full warrior.

If you enjoyed Diablo 2 then you should pick up Grim Dawn. While there are lots of differences, the game almost controls the same way as D2 did.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

So is this game basically Diablo? I've never really looked into it before.

Grim Dawn is basically a spiritual successor to Titan Quest (and is made by a lot of the people who made Titan Quest), which was itself one of the best Diablo II-clones of the mid-2000s.

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: @dray2k: @ajamafalous: Thanks all, now I've got a clearer picture. Only problem is I've never really played a Diablo or Diablo-like game so I'm not sure if I'll like it. I guess it's pretty cheap so I could try it!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rosesaredan: Its Titan Quest, probably not as much modding I'd assume. TQ is the best non D2 game in the same vein period.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I always get confused between Grim Dawn, Van Helsing, and Victor Vran.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't think I'd be able to get around to this, but I've been squeezing it in between games and I gotta say I've had a blast with it. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think the expansion does much to change up the game (if anything at all), but they finally managed to nail the design of a great skill. One of my biggest issues with the game was always that it had a bunch of really bland good skills and a bunch of fun and unique bad skills. With the new flamethrower skill they've finally made a fun and unique good skill that captures the same kind of satisfying gameplay feel that you get from something like Diablo 3. It has allowed the game to keep my attention to the point that I'm still playing it through Ultimate (for the first time) and I don't see myself stopping.

In some ways it's sorta sad really, as it shows how much potential the game would've had with some better production. It makes me wish they would go back and re-design the other classes/skills to have more fun and engaging gameplay. I still find myself trying to theorycraft new builds only to give up because it either involves a super boring play style or ends up being utterly underwhelming.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.