Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grim Fandango

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 28, 1998

A LucasArts adventure game that follows skeletal travel agent Manny Calavera's four-year journey across the Land of the Dead in a film-noir-inspired tale of love, betrayal and corruption.

European Release?

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By thomasnash

I've been searching for a while without really finding anything, but is there any word on a UK/EU release date for this? I hope it's not going to be a Costume Quest 2 type situation here...

(Obviously I know that's unlikely, what with the lack of seasonal pressure, but let me have some irrational worries!)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

All I'm getting is the 27th. Is this having a retail release or is it strictly download? That might explain why the release date is being so scarce for us Brits.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be day and date with the US but in the event that it isn't, if you're on PS4 or Vita you could make US account to get it or if you're on PC/Mac/Linux you could get it from GOG.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pompouspizza

@thomasnash: Doublefine said on Twitter that it will be out on the 27th in Europe.

ratamero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm. Pre-order on PSN seems to be up only for the US. Weird.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanks for the responses duders.

Just to clarify, what really made me question it was that the pre-order is up on the US store but not the uk one (as @erickmartins said). I'm not really bothered about retail or anything.

I was mostly just finding it weird that Sony don't seem to be saying anything about it, particularly in light of Costume Quest 2 apparently not making cert in europe.

duk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By duk

Release 28th of January according to the European PSN Store.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@duk said:

Release 28th of January according to the European PSN Store.

Yeap

I can confirm this, went to buy it today after work and got cockblocked, oh well I shall wait until tomorrow evening then.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So to those that have played this game, is the new version any good? I am tempted to try it but reading the Steam forum makes it seem like a very negative deal. I have never played the game before but really enjoyed Day of the Tentacle and enjoy the Telltale games (such as Wolf Among Us).

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So to those that have played this game, is the new version any good? I am tempted to try it but reading the Steam forum makes it seem like a very negative deal. I have never played the game before but really enjoyed Day of the Tentacle and enjoy the Telltale games (such as Wolf Among Us).

The Steam forums make everything look negative though, really.

Anything in particular you're concerned about? I've been playing the PC version for a while today and so far it's pretty much the same game as the original, just a little nicer to look at plus the additional control options.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xue:

I would say there seems to be a negative vibe towards the price and a perceived lack of work on the game (their words, not mine, having access to this on newer hardware I assume takes some work). Also there is the same vibe towards the graphics saying the original version looks better and mentions of some big bugs with it.

I do not say I agree with them, but some of the points make me wonder if it is worth the price of entry essentially (which seems weird to say given it is not full price).

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mainwaring

@johnlocke:

It sounds like some people are just playing silly buggers over there.

For the price I'm happy with it, there's enough game there for me to justify the ~£10 entry fee. I already know most of the puzzle solutions since I played this game to death back in the day so it's hard to comment on length, but so far I've played for about 4 hours and just reached the halfway point.

As far as visuals go, I took a couple of comparison shots earlier to show someone else, but side by side it's pretty obvious the remastered models look better than the original rendering. They're not the best shots but they're all I have on hand at the moment.

Original mode

Remastered mode

So far it looks like no work was done on any of the backgrounds or the pre-rendered cinematics though, but it's not really a deal breaker for me. Others might disagree.

The only bug I've encountered is one that existed in the original game too, I'm not sure if they will be going back to patch it or not, but a different bug I remembered from the original game didn't happen, so it looks like they at least did something besides simply redoing the 3D models.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xue:

So from what I said I like (DotT, Telltale games, Monkey Island), is this something in a similar mould?

Mainwaring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnlocke:

Oh yes, absolutely. If you liked Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island (I can't speak for the Telltale stuff as I'm not familiar with those games) then chances are you'll enjoy this as well.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xue:

Ok. Thank you for the help, its appreciated.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.