Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

10 Dollars for a character slot makes me a very sad panda

Avatar image for angre_leperkan439
    Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Angre_Leperkan439

Anybody else saddened by this? An additional character slot in Guild Wars 2 costs 800 gems, or $10. That's a lotta money, especially considering I already shelled out 60 for it.

I find myself not blaming them for this, cuz I totally get where they come from, but at the same time I really wish I had like 9 character slots, and THEN could pay for more.

Overall... sad panda.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Seppli

@Angre_Leperkan439:

You can buy gems with in-game gold - because players who buy gold with gems, buy them from other players. You can and will earn additional characterslots just by playing. Or you can just buy some gems for IRL-cash. Whichever pleases you.

Knowing is half the battle.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By RobbieMac

@Angre_Leperkan439: Seems very reasonable to me sure you paid 60 dollars for the game, but you would pay that for any game and you don't have a monthly fee.

Also as Seppli mentioned you don't need to use your 10 dollars to get gems you can use the money you gain in game to trade for gems. Truly a great system.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By falserelic

I've seen a surprised panda scared of the food bill.

Th3irdEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Th3irdEye

It was the same price for a slot in Guild Wars 1 so it didn't surprise me. I'll probably never use more than the initial 5 anyway so I'm not too bothered by it.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lukeweizer

Making only half the possible character slots that there are Professions really irks me. Kind of cutting my game in half. Similar to OP, I understand why they do it, doesn't mean I have to like it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Seppli
    @Lukeweizer said:

Making only half the possible character slots that there are Professions really irks me. Kind of cutting my game in half. Similar to OP, I understand why they do it, doesn't mean I have to like it.

That would be true if you couldn't gain access to more character slots by just playing the game.

With how many characters do you intend to do PvE and WvW with anyways? sPvP progression is account based, not character based. You can always delete a character of one profression, and roll another one, and then play sPvP with it.

Of course if you fully intend to level 8+ lvl 80 characters, you're spending like years of your life in-game - 30 bucks seem like a ridiculously low price for that much entertainment (or a ridiculously high price in spent lifetime, depending on perspective).
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By sjschmidt93

I've never understood people who make like 5 characters out of the gate. Level one, get to the end game, maybe make a bank alt or two (not even sure if that's necessary in GW2) and only then would I ever want a new character, and by that point I'm sure that I'd have no probel dropping $10 on it, or the gem equivalent. If you get to lvl 10 and wanna reroll, then hang onto it and if you really need to delete that level 10 later, who cares? Also, no sub fee!

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Jayzilla

That is what character slots have always cost with ArenaNet. The difference here is that you can use in game gold to get them. if you play enough to need more than 5 professions on the day of launch you will be able to afford the gems necessary to get slots. This game is a marathon, not a sprint. Relax and smell the roses in Tyria.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mcfart

i expected more pandas in this thread.

now i'm a sad panda :(

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Subjugation

I'm well on my way to getting another character slot from trading my gold for gems already, not even a week after headstart, and no, I'm not playing much at all. I'm at school full-time. Plus, how many characters are you realistically going to actively play at once, especially this soon?

I never understand people who act like money is the only way to obtain these things.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Seppli said:

@Angre_Leperkan439:

You can buy gems with in-game gold - because players who buy gold with gems, buy them from other players. You can and will earn additional characterslots just by playing. Or you can just buy some gems for IRL-cash. Whichever pleases you.

Knowing is half the battle.

GI JOE
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By TheHT

@Lukeweizer said:

I wish The Old Republic did that and cut the subscription fee.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lukeweizer

@TheHT said:

@Lukeweizer said:

I wish The Old Republic did that and cut the subscription fee.

True enough. Fair trade, I guess?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lukeweizer

@Seppli said:

@Lukeweizer said:

That would be true if you couldn't gain access to more character slots by just playing the game. With how many characters do you intend to do PvE and WvW with anyways? sPvP progression is account based, not character based. You can always delete a character of one profression, and roll another one, and then play sPvP with it. Of course if you fully intend to level 8+ lvl 80 characters, you're spending like years of your life in-game - 30 bucks seem like a ridiculously low price for that much entertainment (or a ridiculously high price in spent lifetime, depending on perspective).

I'm a PVE kinda man. But you're right. And it sure beats a subscription fee.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The game lets you convert gold to gems. It's fine.

Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the conversion through the trading company? Is there a fixed rate? I was looking in the trading company and didn't see any sort of conversion anywhere, did I miss it?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By project343

@SJSchmidt93 said:

I've never understood people who make like 5 characters out of the gate. Level one, get to the end game, maybe make a bank alt or two (not even sure if that's necessary in GW2) and only then would I ever want a new character, and by that point I'm sure that I'd have no probel dropping $10 on it, or the gem equivalent. If you get to lvl 10 and wanna reroll, then hang onto it and if you really need to delete that level 10 later, who cares? Also, no sub fee!

Bank space is shared cross-character. So, I suppose you could turn alts into pack mules and send them a bunch of 20 slot bags. :\

@Angre_Leperkan439 said:

Is the conversion through the trading company? Is there a fixed rate? I was looking in the trading company and didn't see any sort of conversion anywhere, did I miss it?

It fluctuates based on much the gems/gold are in demand. You can see the currency exchange (along with a graph of it's fluctuation in the BLTC menu [O key]--under the currency exchange menu).

Here's a screenshot I just took:

No Caption Provided
    Angre_Leperkan439

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks man! I just found it today, actually. Gonna be getting me that character slot ASAP :)

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Marz

yeah i've been buying gems with my in game money and it doesn't seem that bad at all. So eventually i'll be able to get slots for all character classes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.