Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

ArenaNet on Graphics Optimization

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

QA dude Bill Freist just put up a new blog on the GW2 site detailing the various performance enhancements that have been made over the past few months, what bottlenecks remain, and how you can fast-track specific issues that you've had with running the game to ArenaNet's support. You know it's exciting because there are bar graphs comparing the efficacy of various graphics cards. Like we're on the internet or something!

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Wuddel

Yeah. I got a little message in the launcher during yesterdays stress test because I use the 301.42 driver with my GTX470. I was under the impression that this the latest driver.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By theimmortalbum

@Wuddel said:

Yeah. I got a little message in the launcher during yesterdays stress test because I use the 301.42 driver with my GTX470. I was under the impression that this the latest driver.

There's a beta for 304 out. I downloaded it last night, but I've been hearing from people who've been running it for some time (it came out in early July) that it's a vastly superior driver to 301.42.

corpdecker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By corpdecker
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Bollard

@theimmortalbum: I was using 304 last night and was at one point at 6fps with a GTX 580 on medium. I don't get what gives, the game doesn't even look in anyway graphically demanding but I get sub standard fps.

My average was about 40 on medium. I genuinely expected I would easily 60fps this game on High with a 580 and an i7, but I get 20fps or so.

Anyone else have 580 issues, or is using i7 950?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By project343
    • BWE 1 - 20-30 FPS on lowest settings
    • BWE 3 - 40-50 FPS on highest settings
    • Post-BWE 3 stress tests - 35 FPS on mid-to-high

Make up your mind! XD

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UssjTrunks

I was getting 30-40 fps on lowest settings/resolution with my Geforce 520, which is great considering how terrible that card is (I noticed a huge improvement in fps during one of the recent stress tests). I upgraded to a 9800 GT recently and I can run it on max settings at 1360x768 at 40-60 fps, which is also great considering how old that card is.

I think it's only the really high end cards that are having issues right now. Hopefully they'll fix it by release.

: Lots of people have reported trouble with the 580 on guru.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

I've been using a vanilla 560 with an 2600K OC'ed @ 3.9 GHz, and I'm getting a consistent 30 FPS with not only max settings but also some tweaks with the nVidia Control Panel.

universalize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 42

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Bollard

@UssjTrunks said:

I was getting 30-40 fps on lowest settings/resolution with my Geforce 520, which is great considering how terrible that card is (I noticed a huge improvement in fps during one of the recent stress tests). I upgraded to a 9800 GT recently and I can run it on max settings at 1360x768 at 40-60 fps, which is also great considering how old that card is.

I think it's only the really high end cards that are having issues right now. Hopefully they'll fix it by release.

: Lots of people have reported trouble with the 580 on guru.

Phew *wipes forhead*

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Turkalurch

I just got myself a GTX 670 about a month ago and I've had about the same issues you guys have been getting with the individual beta tests. I was using the latest release drivers (301) so I'm not too worried that it wont be fixed in the near future with some newer drivers.

Been thinking about downloading the 305.67 developer beta drivers though. I thought I read somewhere that the 305.53 developer drivers helped a bit with Guild Wars 2. Has anyone used them while playing Guild Wars 2?

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By RobbieMac
    @Turkalurch: I just downloaded the beta drivers last night, but I didn't get to play in the surprise test last night unfortunately.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SamStrife

I played on a stress test the other week with my GTX670 and the FPS ranged from 50-125 depending on the location, although it would dip a little lower in some places. I will look into downloading beta drivers and seeing if they help.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jack268

Well, at least I bought the right card it seems. I have a 7970. 

That said, there was still that issue of all the textures in the world disappearing all the time last time I played. I presume that's fixed now though.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Jayzilla

Haven't tried the beta drivers yet, but since everything is going smoothly, i am going to refrain for the time being. the game looks fantastic and runs great. this opinion of mine may be enhanced by the fact that i had so many issues in SW:ToR. ArenaNet has some serious tech ninjas workin the back end systems. Everything from the launcher to frame rate and sliders are all top notch. Not surprised really considering how smooth GW1 is.

RobbieMac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By RobbieMac
    @Jayzilla: and for how long they have been slaving away at creating this game.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Jayzilla

@RobbieMac said:

@Jayzilla: and for how long they have been slaving away at creating this game.

well for sure, but BioWare was at it for how long as well? BW also had an unlimited budget for that game and they used the hero engine. ArenaNet just has superior people working on that game which stems from being able to get the best people in the industry because of how they treat their employees. I don't think there is a coincidence with that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.