Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

"Endgame is not yet complete" - ANet rep at gamescom.

craptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By craptain

4th bullet point in the first quote.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/51308-gamescom-when-its-ready-authenticators-gvg/

I wasn't even really worried about end game personally as I'm definitely going to be PvP focused. However, this isn't the kind of thing you want to hear when so many people are voicing exactly this as their main concern in regards to GW2s potential lasting success.

Update:

@WinterSnowblind said:

One of the developers just posted on Guru.

Just want to jump on this before it gets out of hand. Pretty much nothing in this post is factually correct, I'm not sure where this information came from but flat out: it's misinformed at best and a lot of it totally false.
    We'll absolutely have a GM team that helps support the game at live, the rest of it is partially incorrect information or just plain wrong. You'll start seeing information about our post-ship plans shortly (as early as today on some press sites) but it'll come from developers specifically.
    See you in game on Thursday!
    -Colin
    Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Maystack

Haven't they always said that they're not fond of the whole 'end game' notion, and that you should be playing for the whole experience, and not just the same few dungeons/raids once you hit max level?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Benny

@Maystack: I posted this in another thread but didn't think it warranted it's own thread. I take it to mean that the very high level Orr stuff isn't quite ready, but nobody should be able to reach level 70+ in the first few days unless they literally don't sleep. People shouldn't worry about it overly much unless they're putting their entire life on hold for a video game, at which point I'd say they have bigger things to worry about.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Maystack

@Benny: Yeah I don't think it's anything to worry about if that's the case. They said it's not 100% complete, which probably means it's about 95%.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

but ANET is not expecting the the end-game to be reachable quickly

How naive are they?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jozzy

Really curious to see how this game is going to fare past the first few weeks, people seem to have unreasonable expectations about the games quality. Then again, Guildwars was really popular for a very long time, even though I personally didn't care for it much.

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Turkalurch

Is the end game really EVER finished in an MMO? As Gob would say: COME ON!

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ares42

@Maystack said:

Haven't they always said that they're not fond of the whole 'end game' notion, and that you should be playing for the whole experience, and not just the same few dungeons/raids once you hit max level?

That's just a silly notion. Any game that aspires to keep people engaged past a few months will make or break on it's end-game. They can talk all they want about how the whole exprience is worth it and epic etc, but once people have played a game for 100+ hours it's gonna come down to how interesting the core gameplay and repeatable content is.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scarace360

@Brodehouse said:

but ANET is not expecting the the end-game to be reachable quickly

How naive are they?

Apparently really naive.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By No0b0rAmA

I can see a sea of complaints as soon as the first wave of people hit level 80. I for one will be one of those complaining.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jozzy

@Turkalurch said:

Is the end game really EVER finished in an MMO? As Gob would say: COME ON!

True, but most mmo developers pretend it is ready when their mmo launches. Either Anet is really honest, or the endgame is in an even worse state than those games.

I almost never make it to the endgame in an mmo anyway.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jack268

Yeah, PvE is definitely what I play MMOs for and it's always been quite clear to me the game would be lacking in that department, at least at launch. It's not going to prevent me from picking up the game, but I really hope they get this stuff done and rolled out swiftly.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I don't know. The Asura starting zone wasn't 100% completed when it was released to beta testers last month, neither was the Sylvari. Aside from 1 boss (fire elemental) and about 2-3 broken dynamic events that I saw in total, it was very playable and a fun experience.

I think this is one of those comments which is going to blown hugely out of proportion and one the dev shouldn't have said in the first place. Plus, we already know they can't possibly get dynamic event webs up to snuff for the first couple of people getting there - I mean, , we spent half an episode of the lincolncast talking about that very thing.

porkstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By porkstone

at least i got chicken...

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Benny

@jozzy: having played over 50 hours along with thousands of others, I know it's a quality game.

And those talking about the 'end-game' of guild wars 2 really don't know what they're talking about. There aren't max level raids that you need to gear up for once you hit 80, there are simply one or two zones that are level 80 and then lower level dungeons can be returned to in 'explorable mode' that are wildly more difficult and offer multiple branching paths that reward the real crazy looking loot, along with hundreds of hidden stuff, collecting materials out in the world for legendary weapons, helping complete dynamic event chains across the globe to gain access to hidden areas, and tonnes more.

Don't assume by endgame they mean that molten core and blackwing lair aren't done. There's no such thing in Guild Wars 2.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By phrosnite

Hehe... I wasn't going to play it at launch anyway... learnt my lesson with other MMOs :) Will join you guys in a month or two after release.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SamStrife

@Benny said:

Don't assume by endgame they mean that molten core and blackwing lair aren't done. There's no such thing in Guild Wars 2.

This kind of upsets me about high level Guild Wars 2 play. I hope they start adding stuff like that for those who want to participate.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

If you play an MMO purely to blitz to the maximum level ASAP so you can raid the endgame content over and over and over for however long it takes for the expansion to come out, only to bitch and moan while waiting for said expansion that there isn't enough content, you need your priorities straightened.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By shinboy630
    @Benny

@jozzy: having played over 50 hours along with thousands of others, I know it's a quality game.

And those talking about the 'end-game' of guild wars 2 really don't know what they're talking about. There aren't max level raids that you need to gear up for once you hit 80, there are simply one or two zones that are level 80 and then lower level dungeons can be returned to in 'explorable mode' that are wildly more difficult and offer multiple branching paths that reward the real crazy looking loot.

QFT
    Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@SamStrife said:

@Benny said:

This kind of upsets me about high level Guild Wars 2 play. I hope they start adding stuff like that for those who want to participate.

Sorry to break it to you mate, but I very much doubt they will. They've said it over and over again that this isn't their idea of GW2. There are quite a few games out there which provide the "classical" mmo-endgame experience for those looking for it - this isn't one of them.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Benny

@SamStrife: What happens is, you return to one of the low level dungeons in the game but return to it in explorable mode, a mode designed for high level players that is way, way more difficult in terms of coordination and enemy strength than the standard version of the dungeon.

Each one has at least 3 paths to take that lead you to completely different areas of the dungeon than in its regular mode, that have unique bosses and unique challenges that are seriously much more stressful in terms of the challenge of the fight and the layout of the dungeon itself, which will often be filled with traps and pitfalls to throw yet another spanner in the works.

The big 'raid' encounters are out in the world in the form of dynamic events, look up tequatl the sunless and the shatterer for lower level examples of huge enemy encounters.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind

As people over on GW Guru are rightfully saying.. This information comes from a pretty dubious source. It's getting enough attention that ANet will no doubt comment on it on Twitter/Facebook shortly, but before then, I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, this post should be quoted a few more times:

@Benny said:

And those talking about the 'end-game' of guild wars 2 really don't know what they're talking about. There aren't max level raids that you need to gear up for once you hit 80, there are simply one or two zones that are level 80 and then lower level dungeons can be returned to in 'explorable mode' that are wildly more difficult and offer multiple branching paths that reward the real crazy looking loot, along with hundreds of hidden stuff, collecting materials out in the world for legendary weapons, helping complete dynamic event chains across the globe to gain access to hidden areas, and tonnes more.

Edit: One of the developers just posted on Guru.

Just want to jump on this before it gets out of hand. Pretty much nothing in this post is factually correct, I'm not sure where this information came from but flat out: it's misinformed at best and a lot of it totally false.
    We'll absolutely have a GM team that helps support the game at live, the rest of it is partially incorrect information or just plain wrong. You'll start seeing information about our post-ship plans shortly (as early as today on some press sites) but it'll come from developers specifically.
    -Colin
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blueduck
    @selfconfessedcynic said:

@SamStrife said:

@Benny said:

Sorry to break it to you mate, but I very much doubt they will. They've said it over and over again that this isn't their idea of GW2. There are quite a few games out there which provide the "classical" mmo-endgame experience for those looking for it - this isn't one of them.

Then what do you do when you hit max level because regardless of how long you  take to reach it it is always the level you  spend the most time at. 
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SamStrife

@Benny: Yeah that sounds interesting and unique enough to keep me hooked at end game.

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah I know that they've said that. It upsets me a bit but I'm sure there will be enough for me to do at that point that it won't be that much of an issue. My biggest fear with the game is that the lack of endgame makes the whole idea of leveling a mute point and drives away players as a result.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Benny

@blueduck: see the above post.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Silvergun

@WinterSnowblind said:

-Colin

Wait what? I thought head start was Friday at 9 or midnight. Did I miss something or am I just being dense?

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Maystack

@Silvergun said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

-Colin

Wait what? I thought head start was Friday at 9 or midnight. Did I miss something or am I just being dense?

Yeah that's what my eyes jumped to straight away. They wouldn't do a stress test the day before it's released would they?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Benny

@Silvergun: Weird, I assume he meant Tuesday the 28th which is official release, but surely he would say Saturday in front of the GW2Guru crowd which is the head start release date?

craptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By craptain

@Hailinel: Boom

@selfconfessedcynic: I agree that it will likely be blown out of proportion, but I don't see that as a bad thing. If the launch community remains tight and dedicated, I think that lays a stronger foundation for the lasting value. If everyone finds out later that, "Oh, hey, this game doesnt suck as much as my skepticism led me to believe, I guess I'll play it" and then we get a flood of new players, I don't see it impacting the core launch community. I'd rather not have them around at launch anyway

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@blueduck: The game doesn't change when you reach the max level, it isn't designed to taper out to one point and then offer nothing but grindy content to occupy players. You continue doing the things you did up to that point, dungeons, random events, crafting, exploration, etc. Legendary weapon hunts are about the only thing that's specifically in there for max level players/long term play, but mostly the game is centred around fun. They've also stated there will be an aggressive amount of post-launch content, to keep things fresh.

But much like GW1, I expect it to be something you play for a few months before stopping and returning later on when more content is added. There's no subscription and no need to hook players with endless amounts of tedious gameplay and I guess that's why some consider it to be a "casual game".

Chylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Chylo

@Maystack said:

@Silvergun said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

-Colin

Yeah that's what my eyes jumped to straight away. They wouldn't do a stress test the day before it's released would they?

@Benny said:

@Silvergun: Weird, I assume he meant Tuesday the 28th which is official release, but surely he would say Saturday in front of the GW2Guru crowd which is the head start release date?

Colin posted again, saying:

"Sorry that was a bad joke at attempting to mock the misinformation

Colin Troll will see you in game Friday!"

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/51308-gamescom-when-its-ready-authenticators-gvg/page__st__270#entry1771740

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Turkalurch

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@SamStrife said:

@Benny said:

And thank cupcakes for that! Cause cupcakes are delicious.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By TheHT

@Evelgest said:

@Maystack said:

@Silvergun said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

-Colin

@Benny said:

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/51308-gamescom-when-its-ready-authenticators-gvg/page__st__270#entry1771740

Sonofabitch!

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By Dagbiker

SWTOR never even really had "endgame" ( which is a horrible name for it, and I will be taking that up with the Naming King ) The idea with that game was you started over and made a new char.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35  Edited By Icecreamjones

@TheHT said:

@Evelgest said:

@Maystack said:

@Silvergun said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

-Colin

@Benny said:

Sonofabitch!

Mark my words Johanson, I will have my revenge.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@zeekthegeek said:

@TheHT said:

@Evelgest said:

@Maystack said:

@Silvergun said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

-Colin

@Benny said:

Sonofabitch!

I bet it's actually a mobius double-trollaround, and they are going to open the game on Thursday.

Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Silvergun

@zeekthegeek said:

I say we all cancel our subscriptions in protest!

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

I bet it's actually a mobius double-trollaround, and they are going to open the game on Thursday.

Dammit, now I'm totally going to check Thursday night...

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By kindgineer

I can't wait to throw myself at Guild Wars 2 and enjoy the leveling. However, seeing as the game doesn't have (what I've come to know it as) end-game content, I'll be that guy who returns for some PVP action and on the release of expansions.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jozzy

@Silvergun said:

@zeekthegeek said:

I say we all cancel our subscriptions in protest!

@Dark_Lord_Spam said:

Dammit, now I'm totally going to check Thursday night...

It would actually be kind of brilliant if they opened the servers earlier without telling anyone. That might alleviate the standard overburdened login server issues most mmo's have at launch. Some of the crazy fans will just try to login for kicks, are surprised the servers are actually up, news spread and more and more people login. Sounds better than everyone pressing the PLAY button at the same time.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Maystack

@jozzy: I really am going to be checking every few hours or so to see if the servers are open yet. Damn Johanson.

EDIT: Welp, just checked it and it crashed the client. Don't think the servers are up yet.

WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@jozzy: They've actually done that for most of the beta's. Obviously it's not going to go up on Thursday, but they've already said the game could go live up to 3 hours prior to the start date/time.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

@Maystack: Yeah, my client keeps C-ingTD too. Good to hear it's not an isolated problem, at least. I was a bit worried.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

You'll have more than ample opportunity to buy the endgame in one of the 3-4 expansion packs that come out for Guild Wars 2 over the next decade.

Actually, that's not fair, all of the standalone expansions for the original were stand alone stories, while the original's ending was pretty satisfying on its own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.