Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guild Wars 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 28, 2012

Guild Wars 2 is an online RPG developed by ArenaNet, and continues the subscriptionless business model of the original Guild Wars. The game is set about 250 years after the events of its predecessor in a world devastated by the ancient elder dragons resurfacing after millennia of slumber.

Small Bit of Info on Beta Schedule

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

WARNING: You may want to take this with a grain of salt, as we are on the internet.

SomethingAwful poster Tivac, evidently ANet web developer Pat Cavit, has shared some minor details about game systems and the development psychology of the company. Most exciting is the the info on how closed and open betas will be arranged. You can find the salient points in this post on Reddit, as well as all of Tivac's posts in the thread here. If you want to browse the entire SA thread, follow this link. Cheers!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

I think I saw this linked on r/gaming. I was surprised to hear that the CBT length was only ~2 weeks. Hopefully they don't need too many rounds. I'm not sure I learned too much that I didn't already know, but I shouldn't expect to given how much time I spend finding every bit I can find.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Benny

He mentions that they are in beta in the traditional sense, meaning content locked.

Hopefully not much longer!

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By coakroach

Fuck. I really need a PC.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maystack

I'm hoping they do one of the beta weekends that's open to everyone like they did with the original Guild Wars, instead of a longer one that not everyone can get into.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Vexxan

What wouldn't I give to get in the beta :X

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Maystack said:

I'm hoping they do one of the beta weekends that's open to everyone like they did with the original Guild Wars, instead of a longer one that not everyone can get into.

They've mentioned before that they don't want to do an open beta, since most people play them will use it as nothing more than a demo to judge the game in an unfinished state. So instead there will be something similar to the preview weekends they did for the original GW, where anyone could play a week or so before release. This was a long time ago now though, so who knows what the current plans are.

Hopefully we see a release date soon, but I don't see it being before July-ish a this point.

Nihilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

Fantastic! I was planning on avoiding the open beta like the plague, wanting to go into the final product. I've since gotten less hyperbolic and would love to get in an roll something I've little interest in playing otherwise (Asura Guardian). In any case, open beta means one step closer to release, even if it's just the planning phase.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Seppli
    @WinterSnowblind said:

@Maystack said:

They've mentioned before that they don't want to do an open beta, since most people play them will use it as nothing more than a demo to judge the game in an unfinished state. So instead there will be something similar to the preview weekends they did for the original GW, where anyone could play a week or so before release. This was a long time ago now though, so who knows what the current plans are.

Hopefully we see a release date soon, but I don't see it being before July-ish a this point.

GW1's preview weekends are amongst my top 10 favorite gaming experiences of my life. Fried my PC's motherboard a bit too (had a soundglitch after). Well - I guess that's what a freakish 48 hours gaming marathon can do. Too bad that was as much as I ever liked Guild Wars. In the preview weekends there was only PvP and the storydriven instanced co-op missions and trading/crafting. Exploration and questing and all that classic MMO stuff just didn't work for me due to the instanced nature of GW1, all of which wasn't present during the Preview weekends.

I have high hopes GW2 won't just be a shooting star, but will be a worthy of being my MMO fixture for a good long while.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Seppli: Many people loved GW1 because it was so different from typical MMO's. GW2 isn't going to be instanced, which opens it up a lot more, but it's still actively trying not to just be an MMO. There's not going to be endless amounts of time sinks, grinding, raids, etc, which some people actually seem to enjoy.

As great as I think GW2 is going to be, I don't think it's going to be a game for everyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.