Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 28, 2010

The sixth core entry in Activision's Guitar Hero series represents the last entry developed by Neversoft.

Demo reactions?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

The Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock demo has been out for a little while now. I just got around to playing it last night though. Dude, it's weird. I knew they were taking on more of a story aspect this time around, but the way the "Quest" mode is built, I couldn't help but get kind of a Castle Crashers or general adventure game vibe off of it. Not in the way the game plays obviously, but the way progression is set up. Basically you play a song and based on performance, you will earn a certain amount of stars(I think they're called Power Stars?). It's not like Rock Band stars though. There seems to be a meter in the lower right corner of the screen that is building up and giving you stars as you play, similar to an experience meter(That does sound the same as Rock Band, but it's not). At the same time, there's some kind of separate meter on the combo multiplier meter that seems to constantly be increasing, which does something to affect your total number of earned stars. After you earn enough stars, you get to advance a space on a world map, which is what made me think of Castle Crashers. It's all a bit complicated and I'm probably doing a poor job of describing it. The point is that this game doesn't just feel like Guitar Hero, but with cut scenes. It almost feels like a classic RPG, and it--at least from my limited time playing it--seems kinda neat.

Y'all be demon-lookin'...
     Y'all be demon-lookin'...
    Another thing that surprised me was the player transformation stuff. I remember reading about this, but seeing it was still surprising; It's actually kinda neat as well. Basically after you earn enough of the previously mentioned stars, you will build up a transformation meter, which results in your current character transforming into a demonic beast of a guitar player. I forget this guy's name, but it's the skinny guy with the mohawk that's been in all the other GH games, that is in the demo. When he transforms, there's a cool little cut scene where he turns greenish, gets fangs, you know basically turns into a demon. He starts teleporting around the stage too which was a nice touch. As far as I could tell, there's no effect on how the game plays in demon mode. Essentially it's similar to the stage going crazy before playing the encore songs in GH3. 

This game's weird, plain and simple. On one hand, the stuff they're doing is definitely unique, and is interesting to an extent; however, at the same time I can't help but feel like this is all just a dumb gimmick. I'm probably not the exact target for this game since I'm not super into all that hardcore metal and demons and shit, but this just isn't what I ultimately want out of a music game it would seem.

Anyone else try the demo? Do you like this direction they've gone with the series, or not so much?
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

That well I just....I just don't know. It looks like it's supposed to appeal to the 13 year olds kids with their cool Metallica shirts who would be like MAN THIS IS SO RAD!!!! I'M A METAL GOD!!!!!!! I can play on hard difficulties but I think I'm just done playing with carpal tunnel inducing games now.Ya I'm happy with sticking to Rock Band.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Afroman269 said:
    " That well I just....I just don't know. It looks like it's supposed to appeal to the 13 year olds kids with their cool Metallica shirts who would be like MAN THIS IS SO RAD!!!! I'M A METAL GOD!!!!!!! I can play on hard difficulties but I think I'm just done playing with carpal tunnel inducing games now.Ya I'm happy with sticking to Rock Band. "
    Yeaaaah. I can't say that I feel much differently. They do have 2112 in the game though, so despite my history of dislike with the series, I can't help be be curious.
    FunkasaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FunkasaurusRex

I can't not pay attention to a game that features so much music by Rush, so I'm in on this one regardless :P  The character transformations do have an affect on game play, just check that picture you posted. Johnny Napalm in his warrior mode keeps a minimum 2x multiplier as well as some other bonuses. 

I am glad that they decided to try something different with the story mode and character transformations. If nothing else it gives them more of a "video gamey" feel and sets them apart a bit more from Rock Band. 

And having tons of Rush music never hurt anyone :D

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @FunkasaurusRex said:

"  And having tons of Rush music never hurt anyone :D "

Amen!  :P 

I think that in order for GH and RB to exist next to each other at this point in their dwindling popularity, than both of them need to be different things. Since in my honest opinion GH can't keep up with RB anymore as far as being a more realistic music playing experience, than this is probably a good alternative. I mean, it does have some charm in it's classic video game style leveling up and all that. 

(Oh, and I didn't even read the text in the screenshot until now. Keeping a 2x multiplier seems pointless; it just guarantees a higher score.)
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By CptBedlam

Tried it, deleted it.

For me, all that ridiculous story stuff is just in the way and tieing it to gameplay mechanics makes no sense really. It's like "ok, at this point in the story I get more points because of the 2x multiplier.... great, I guess... whatever". What's the point in this? Do  score achieved that way actually matter to someone? I mean even when playing by yourself you know that a particular score is that high because of the story mechanics.

And as for the presentation: maybe it'll appeal more to younger gamers... I don't know. I vastly prefer the less convoluted style of RB.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

"Wtf horrible choice of demo songs!"

Followed by:

"Wtf! I wanna see Judy Nails transform, not mr crack addict!"

So meh...

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Lukeweizer

I haven't played it... but I bet it's like Guitar Hero.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TerraDelu

The "EXP" stuff is neat, but the setlist for this one turned me off. There are a handful off gems in there, but most of it is crapola.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Dude as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't felt like a guitar hero game since GH2.

Still own like 7 guitar heroes though next to my beatles rock band and RB2. Gotta buy em all!

Still haven't gotten around to trying this out, but man it sure does sound weird how it works.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By lumley

"Where the f*** is the score!?!?!?" 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Dude as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't felt like a guitar hero game since GH2.  Still own like 7 guitar heroes though next to my beatles rock band and RB2. Gotta buy em all!  Still haven't gotten around to trying this out, but man it sure does sound weird how it works. "
    I feel like they were at least comparable before though. Now with RB doing it's Pro Mode stuff, and GH doing this instead, for the first time they feel like vastly different games to me.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Azteck

It still looks terrible in my eyes. Give me Rock Band instead. I may try this demo out when I have time though.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By nukesniper

It was crazy insane. The weird thing to me is the endlessness of the MORE POINTS rush that guitar hero has had recently. 11x multipliers in GH5 let you get 88x your points, because it was an 11x band multiplier, while everyone was at 8x anyways. Or something like that, my math might be off, as I didn't play for score much (and have never gotten a group to do the 11x). 

GH6 is giving out stars like they are candy. Hey, Johnny gets multiplier faster! And he gets more stars for keeping his multiplier up! Look at all the points! He can't even drop below 2x! 

It seems like they gave up on making the game interesting once they saw what RB3 was doing this year. I don't know what they gain from having thousands of stars or billions of points, but maybe they are targeting the "Dude, check out how many points I have on this song" answered with "Whoa, my best in Rock Band was only like, 1 million points, and that was with all four of us" audience.  

At that, I only like 2 songs in that game enough to have interest in getting the game eventually. GH6, I will only buy you when you are stupid cheap. Sorry.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By HairyMike87

I enjoyed the demo. I like the fact that they aren't going to do the setlist like in 5 where it was totally diverse and instead made it more hard rock oriented. At least it's more focused. I wanna see how the Rush songs in the full game make the quest mode make sense?

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " Dude as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't felt like a guitar hero game since GH2.  Still own like 7 guitar heroes though next to my beatles rock band and RB2. Gotta buy em all!  Still haven't gotten around to trying this out, but man it sure does sound weird how it works. "
    I feel like they were at least comparable before though. Now with RB doing it's Pro Mode stuff, and GH doing this instead, for the first time they feel like vastly different games to me. "
    That doesn't seem like that terrible of a thing now that I think of it. At least they are trying something different with the game.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @wolf_blitzer85
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    I feel like they were at least comparable before though. Now with RB doing it's Pro Mode stuff, and GH doing this instead, for the first time they feel like vastly different games to me. "
    That doesn't seem like that terrible of a thing now that I think of it. At least they are trying something different with the game.
    Yeah, I really think its probably better for both series. As of now my interest lies more on the RB side though
    ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#18  Edited By ImperiousRix

I personally think going the "story" route was the only way the new Guitar Hero could have gone.  It can't stack up to Rock Band at its own game anymore, so it needed to change or die.  Whether this was the right route... it's debatable. 
    All I know is that this game has a lot of Rush music, and that alone is making me consider it.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    Yeah, I really think its probably better for both series. As of now my interest lies more on the RB side though "
    As where your loyalties should lie. If it's cool, it might be worth picking up GH when it's dirt cheap and at least get to play 2112 assuming Harmonix doesn't step up their Rush game.
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20  Edited By damnboyadvance

Haven't played it, but I'd take Rock Band over any Guitar Hero game.

Blueprint12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By Blueprint12

I know I'm a little late here but I'll just say I wasn't really that impressed with the demo.

I found most of the game boring and the sad part too is that I enjoyed the Foo Fighters' song more than I enjoyed Black Sabbath's (in reality, I like the Black Sabbath song more too but the charting is horrible).

I just hope 2112 comes out on Rock Band 3 DLC.  Rush should get a 2nd album on the Rock Band Music Store.  Megadeth, Judas Priest, Pearl Jam, and No Doubt already have.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.