Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Half-Life 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Several years after the Black Mesa disaster, Gordon Freeman awakens from stasis to aid a resistance movement against the Combine, a collective of trans-dimensional aliens that have conquered Earth.

I just started and finished Half Life 2.

• 61 results
    Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Twisted_Scot

I had to stop drinking while playing single player games. Used to do it with Fallout 3. Id wake up the next day, stick them game in and be in the middle of the wasteland with no memory of playing 4 hours of game. I also Had to go back and replay Bioshock 1entirely for the same reason. I pretty much blacked out when the radio people changed and had no idea who they were or what I missed.

InertiaticESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By InertiaticESP
    @BoomSnapClap113@BoomSnapClap113 said:
    Yeah, he is a silent protagonist which is kinda annoying, but you gotta remember that the game was released in 04. Not many games had voiced protagonists by then, or selective dialog. Its not far to compare HF2 to games like Dragon Age. Even Halo,
    Even Halo
    Even Halo
    You might wanna check your sources on that. Master Chief was fully voice acted since Halo: Combat Evolved was released for the Xbox.

I also want to point out the Halo 2 was released a week or two BEFORE HL2. 

HL2 has no excuse for not voicing/showing Gordon in any of the games. Also, don't you guys think that if the HL universe could have mirrors it might be a little more, realistic? Why not show Gordon? There are NO roleplaying elements to the game, it's a run-and-gun. Gordon is on the god-damn box, why not make a character model for him? And the fact that he doesn't speak totally kills the immersion for me. No one goes that long without saying something, especially when you're traveling with Alyx the whole time. A lot of the the dialogue is forced, because Alyx also has to convey what Gordon would say.

Half Life 1 was fully voice acted. There is no excuse other than a poor design decision.
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By tooPrime
    @MattyFTM said:
    @Little_Socrates said:
    " @Slaker117 said:
    " I still don't understand what makes HL2 so great. There are plenty of cool things about it, and I enjoyed it over all, but things like the basic shooting and pacing never felt right to me. "
    This. To be honest, I only enjoyed the portions of the game spent in City 17 and the Citadel. "
    When did you guys play it? Because when playing it now, you've got to remember that this game came out years ago. When it came out, most of the physics stuff was brand new and ground breaking. Today that stuff doesn't seem as prominent, because every tom, dick and harry puts similar stuff into their game, but Half Life 2 did it first. That's why HL2 is so loved. 
    I played Half Life 2 for the first time in 2007 and I felt like it had lots of glaring problems.  People love the game so they usually disagree with me, but I'm think I'm right considering they actually fixed most of the issues in Episode 2. 
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By blueduck
    @InertiaticESP said:
    Yeah, he is a silent protagonist which is kinda annoying, but you gotta remember that the game was released in 04. Not many games had voiced protagonists by then, or selective dialog. Its not far to compare HF2 to games like Dragon Age. Even Halo,
    Even Halo
    Even Halo
    You might wanna check your sources on that. Master Chief was fully voice acted since Halo: Combat Evolved was released for the Xbox.

HL2 has no excuse for not voicing/showing Gordon in any of the games. Also, don't you guys think that if the HL universe could have mirrors it might be a little more, realistic? Why not show Gordon? There are NO roleplaying elements to the game, it's a run-and-gun. Gordon is on the god-damn box, why not make a character model for him? And the fact that he doesn't speak totally kills the immersion for me. No one goes that long without saying something, especially when you're traveling with Alyx the whole time. A lot of the the dialogue is forced, because Alyx also has to convey what Gordon would say.

Half Life 1 was fully voice acted. There is no excuse other than a poor design decision.
    Gordon didn't speak in Half Life 1. 
    tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By tooPrime
    @InertiaticESP said:
    Even Halo
    Even Halo

Half Life 2 I feel it is really noticeable because you are wandering by yourself most of the game and when you do find people they really quickly tell you where to go and then leave you alone.  In the episodes they were at smart enough to have someone with you and talk to you.  Imagine portal if glados didn't talk to you.  That's what Half Life 2 basically is.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#56  Edited By Little_Socrates

Rereading this thread, I'm adding an addendum; I totally forget about Ravenholm every time I talk about this game, as I played Ravenholm for the first time on an OXM Demo Disc AND LOST MY MIND. Ravenholm is amazing, I can't contest that.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By animateria

I think a lot of people forget this game came out roughly 7 years ago.

Any element current games do better than it still most likely originated from it. 

The first Half-Life hasn't aged well either but at the time it was pretty damn amazing.
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Yep, greatest game ever made.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#59  Edited By Sayishere

I feel quite guilty that I actually never completed half life 2, I only managed to reach halfway then stop:\

LunaticJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By LunaticJ

This exactthing happened to me... 2 weeks ago. I am in love with half life and every aspect. Love it.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By ajamafalous

I've never been able to finish it. I like the story and the universe they've built but I can't get past the pacing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.