Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

ODST Friend's Lists and Matchmaking

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

While the ODST friend lists were a GREAT idea by the community, I do feel as though I'm operating a phone switchboard in the 1930s whenever I try to find players for a firefight match by individually checking their online status and making sure they're playing solo or waiting in a menu so I don't piss anyone off with masses of invites...

I understand that they've stated that matchmaking would be hard to add but if I can find players manually by looking through people's friends lists, surely Bungie could create a program to do so quicker? I mean, they do know how many people are playing the game and on what level at any time so it makes sense that creating a lobby menu for games wouldn't be that hard - it would hardly be like rewriting the game code if I can do it manually already.

That being said, finding people online isn't too hard (And the internet lies by the way, not everyone you meet on Xbox live playing Halo is an A-hole in fact, most of the players I've met today I had a lot of fun with) and Firefight is an absolute riot. But still, something about the lack of MM feels very, very off and while I've made A LOT of new friends today and managed to get games going pretty regularly, it's still a pain when no-one's online and I have to play the waiting game instead.

What do you guys think? You having issues getting the full 4 player firefight experience? Or have forums fixed you up nicely? Then again, think of all the people who will by this and who don't frequent gaming sites - unless all their friends are Halo fans, they're screwed...

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Wait, so you can't just hop into any random firefight game? 
    That doesn't make sense.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By vitor
    @Gorillawhat said:
    " Wait, so you can't just hop into any random firefight game? That doesn't make sense. "
    I know, right? No matchmaking, only people in your friends list
    Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
    deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@Vitor said:
    " @Gorillawhat said:
    " Wait, so you can't just hop into any random firefight game? That doesn't make sense. "
    I know, right? No matchmaking, only people in your friends list "
    That kinda sucks. Oh well, I'm required by Halo fanboy law to ignore any flaws with any game in the franchise.  

What are you talking about.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By GunstarRed

That was my biggest issue with trying to find people to do legendary, I had no friends on my friend list that bought Halo3 (yeah, really) at launch... so I had to go hunting around achievement sites for people to add. It was a Huge pain and often people would do teh section they needed then quit so I would have to go through the whole process again and wait around to find players to help me. 
    It's the reason why I am so conflicted about firefight...I know I could find people on my friends list this week...maybe in a months time but all of those people wont care about it as soon as MW is around.  GB is probably a good way to find people but No matchmaking for somethign so team focussed is absolutely terrible in 2009

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.