Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

A reason why Reach will probably be better that ODST and Halo 3

SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SammydesinasNL

No brutes! Seen as how they only join the covenant in the second they presumably won't feature in Reach. I do expect there to be new enemies varients though (some of which also annoying?).
    mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By mussbus999

I'm feeling much more excited for this then I did for ODST. Not quite sure why I think that because I'm feeling the COD vibe lately, but I will definitely be looking into Reach.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mikeeegeee

I'm all for hoping that this game will be the best of the series (naively hoping, maybe?), but this kind of speculation is bananas. We've seen next to nothing from this game at this point. Give it some time. Who's to say that the possible exclusion of an enemy type will make a better game?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zombie2011

I think they will have some new enemy's that will die off during the events on Reach.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Reach looks good. Although we would have to hear and see more about it first before we make decisions on what is better. Halo ODST was pretty slick indeed. It'll be hard to beat.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hitchenson

The new engine might also be sweet.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By belaraphon

i think people want to play as a spartan. this will not only achieve that but add more spartans to the mix!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269
    @Hitchenson said:
    " The new engine might also be sweet. "
    This is why I'm excited. It will be good to see them make a game on a different engine other than Halo 3's.
    ProudMeowican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ProudMeowican
    Whats so bad about brutes???????????????
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EVO
    @WoolyAbyss said:
    " Whats so bad about brutes??????????????? "
    Yeah, I find them hilarious.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Evilsbane
    @WoolyAbyss said:

In three they were ok in 2 they were god awful, but nothing was ever as much fun as fighting the Elites in 1 they are just a good enemy.

This game I hope, I think is going to be awesome this is the final stand of the spartans, hundreds of super soldiers fighting impossible odds? Whats not to love?
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Well being better than ODST would hardly be a difficult task.

Cefka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Cefka

The brutes were no fun in Halo 2. They often charged at you and you had to empty too many rounds into them. In 3, they were not as tough but not as respectable as in 2. I also find the Hunters not as difficult in Halo 3 compared to 1 and 2.  But yeah... reach is probably going to be as good as Halo 2, my favorite.

Noitu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Noitu
    @SammydesinasNL said:

" No brutes! Seen as how they only join the covenant in the second they presumably won't feature in Reach. I do expect there to be new enemies varients though (some of which also annoying?). "

Wait, the brutes didn't join in Halo 2, it's just that the Halo was a holy relic and brutes were too low of a class to even be at the Halo. Obviously that changed in Halo 2 when they became the guardians of the prophets. They were the first alien race to make physical contacts with the humans in the book ' Halo: Contact Harvest'.

@Cefka

said:

" The brutes were no fun in Halo 2. They often charged at you and you had to empty too many rounds into them. In 3, they were not as tough but not as respectable as in 2. I also find the Hunters not as difficult in Halo 3 compared to 1 and 2.  But yeah... reach is probably going to be as good as Halo 2, my favorite. "

So either way you're not happy? Great.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Actually the Brutes did not join the Covenant in Halo 2, they have been part of the Covenant since before even the events of Halo: Contact Harvest. In fact it was during the battle of Harvest that the Brutes made their alliance with Truth as part of their eventual plan to overthrow the Elites. In Halo 2 the Brutes took the position of the Prophets' honor guards from the Elites after the Elites failed to defend the Prophet of Regret against the Master Chief and after the great schism with the departure of the Elites from the Covenant the Brutes had an even stronger presence. However, as Reach is all pre-Halo 2 it is very likely that we'll see at least less Brutes in this game. At any rate we know the Elites will be back as an enemy.  

I didn't think the Brutes were a badly designed enemy myself and after 2 games of mainly killing Elites it was nice to experience something different. Also although I have high hopes for Reach and am sure Bungie will be able to deliver does the absence of Brutes immediately make a game we've seen no gameplay of whatsoever better than its predecessors?

Noitu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Noitu
    @Gamer_152 said:
    "

Actually the Brutes did not join the Covenant in Halo 2, they have been part of the Covenant since before even the events of Halo: Contact Harvest. In fact it was during the battle of Harvest that the Brutes made their alliance with Truth as part of their eventual plan to overthrow the Elites. In Halo 2 the Brutes took the position of the Prophets' honor guards from the Elites after the Elites failed to defend the Prophet of Regret against the Master Chief and after the great schism with the departure of the Elites from the Covenant the Brutes had an even stronger presence. However, as Reach is all pre-Halo 2 it is very likely that we'll see at least less Brutes in this game. At any rate we know the Elites will be back as an enemy.  

I didn't think the Brutes were a badly designed enemy myself and after 2 games of mainly killing Elites it was nice to experience something different. Also although I have high hopes for Reach and am sure Bungie will be able to deliver does the absence of Brutes immediately make a game we've seen no gameplay of whatsoever better than its predecessors?

"
    Hivemind.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zereta

I want Brutes AND Elites though. They were around during the Battle of Reach and well, it would be an interesting dynamic if Bungie made the 2 work together and you get elements of their rivalry to show.

Maxism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Maxism

It'll be better than ODST that's for sure.

I'm really looking forward to the fact there won't be 5 grenade types (one that isn't even used in matchmaking) hundreds of useless weapons, etc... Looks like Bungie is going back to basics (which is the right thing to do).

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By GeneralTurkle

I think it was Halo 3, but you could beat a brute in the back while he was pissing. That was priceless!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By big_jon

Brutes are in too. But I am so happy for the new Elites, they are my number 1 reason for Reach excitement.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bubahula

im not a big fan of brutes either :P 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@creamypies said:
    "

Well being better than ODST would hardly be a difficult task.

"

My thoughts exactly. ODST wasnt even a full game and thousands bought it for 60$ and got ripped off. I might buy this game for full price because of the new engine, guns, stealth kills etc.. It might redeem the atrocity that was ODST, with an actual sequel.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hatking

Reading these comments really shows why I now hate the Halo franchise.  If you are a video game based franchise I shouldn't have to go read four or five books to understand what the fuck is happening.  Look at Mass Effect, it is becoming just as big of a franchise but you haven't had to read any of the books or comics to know exactly what was happening.  Even if you want to know all that crazy detailed stuff in Mass Effect all of it is in the game to read or ask other characters about.  The Halo games are fun to play and they are technically well made, but I've totally given up on the story.
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#25  Edited By Hailinel

I'm waiting for Bungie's latest excuse when it's revealed that the Flood are back.  Is there anyone outside of Bungie that actually likes them?

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ubiquitous

Don't you mean it will be better because IT HAZ MOAR POLYGONZ!!!!1!

Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Garrus

No doubt it'll be better, ODST was made within major time constrictions and like Halo 3, it was about the brutes. Reach has probably been the answer to our prayers too for those who can't stand BR spamming constantly.

It also makes me smile that it's pissed off MLG too. A game should not be bent over for the needs of a smaller community than the central fanbase in general like Halo 3 was, a community should adapt to the game.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunchUK
    @Garrus said:
    " No doubt it'll be better, ODST was made within major time constrictions and like Halo 3, it was about the brutes. Reach has probably been the answer to our prayers too for those who can't stand BR spamming constantly.  It also makes me smile that it's pissed off MLG too. A game should not be bent over for the needs of a smaller community than the central fanbase in general like Halo 3 was, a community should adapt to the game. "
    It really isn't catered towards MLG though. There's an MLG playlist, just like theres a big team playlist, action sack, regular team slayer and so on and that's it. If you can't stand this "BR spamming" of yours play AR/magnum spawns. Although i've been playing halo 2 lately and even BR start in halo 3 doesn't know the meaning of "BR spamming".
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Garrus
    @crunchUK: Well mostly my point about BR is that the BR I believe is overpowered when it's in any game type and people stick with it and refuse to use other weapons. Now before anyone says that's not true, Im aware not every single halo player on earth does this, its just annoying when it does happen. And there is an MLG Playlist I know, MLG players go there, but they can also come to other playlists and still try to just BR everyone. Anyway Im not willing to get into a BR arguement.

All in all, Im happy there's a DRM rifle in Reach that functions like a BR without the burst. I just think it makes more sense really and should have been something in Halo 3.
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Capum15
    @Evilsbane said:
    " @WoolyAbyss said:

In three they were ok in 2 they were god awful, but nothing was ever as much fun as fighting the Elites in 1 they are just a good enemy.  This game I hope, I think is going to be awesome this is the final stand of the spartans, hundreds of super soldiers fighting impossible odds? Whats not to love? "
    Excluding the SPARTAN-III's, there were only roughly 60 or so Spartans (S-II) fighting on Reach, and like, eight died hitting the planet at terminal velocity (the Pelican was shot down, they had to jump), and some 5-10 more were injured as all hell. Three S2's were in space recovering a data packet (The Chief among them).

I didn't even know Spartan 3's were on Reach until a while ago. Did Bungie just throw them into Reach for the sake of having more Spartans? I mean, all the S2's were pretty much in one place, and shortly after landing under Reach (CASTLE base to be specific). Guess they can play with that, since the book never mentions anything but the S2 stuff, and none of the side-stuff.

Then again, what I just said made it more bad-ass (not hundreds, but tens of Spartans fighting an army). Like you said, what's not to love? Hell, in the book, one Spartan II (Kelly) threw a grenade-sized nuke into a covenant ship and took it out, and the army of roughly ten thousand soldiers beneath it, and to them it still wasn't worth the death of one Spartan. Titanium balls.

...err, anyway, I can't wait for Reach.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By c1337us

You don't think you have to go too far to out do ODST.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Zereta

Brutes are back, thank god. First time we will probably be seeing them fighting ALONGSIDE the Elites, rather than against.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK
    @Garrus said:
    " @crunchUK: Well mostly my point about BR is that the BR I believe is overpowered when it's in any game type and people stick with it and refuse to use other weapons. Now before anyone says that's not true, Im aware not every single halo player on earth does this, its just annoying when it does happen. And there is an MLG Playlist I know, MLG players go there, but they can also come to other playlists and still try to just BR everyone. Anyway Im not willing to get into a BR arguement.  All in all, Im happy there's a DRM rifle in Reach that functions like a BR without the burst. I just think it makes more sense really and should have been something in Halo 3. "
    I'd be inclined to agree with you if i was playing something like team BRs on Narrows or Boundless. But some of the more balanced maps (Assembly, Pit Stop, Ghost Town, Blackout) tend to have a good mix. And AR/Magnum spawns also tend to have a much better variety of weapons being used on, even though the MLGPROS would be inclined to disagree for silly reasons. 

As for big team, the maps are huge, combat revolves around vehicles and the stopping of said vehicles. It would be boring if the BR wasn't the basis of combat.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#34  Edited By vager

I wanna hear Elites say "Wort Wort Wort!" again.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Garrus

Yeah it's just unfortunate that there's rarely a match like that for me, people often veto to GET a BR start. Also yeah maybe a BR might work for getting rid of drivers in vehicles but that's where I feel most players miss out that plasma pistols stall vehicles and where I feel Bungie should have had lighter but more common anti-vehicle capable weapons, missle pods often get wasted and the spartan laser I'm a little unsure what to think of about it's position as a weapon. Reach may solve that with the grenade launcher. The solution seems to be the BR but the fact it falls to a scoped bullet firing rifle just makes me feel there's a few things just not right about Halo 3 looking back now. 

Maybe Reach will change things with a few more newer weapons.

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Fosssil
    @Garrus said:
    "  It also makes me smile that it's pissed off MLG too. A game should not be bent over for the needs of a smaller community than the central fanbase in general like Halo 3 was, a community should adapt to the game. "
    A. How has Reach pissed off the MLG crowd? Many people in the MLG community are actually cautiously optimistic about Reach. All of the changes to the multiplayer that Bungie has revealed thus far (no more dual-wielding, a renewed focus on accurate and powerful weapons, reticule bloom, the DMR, return of health packs, etc.) are all positive steps towards making the game more balanced and competitive.

B. In what way has Bungie ever catered the Halo series to any one specific portion of the community, much less the MLG crowd? Part of the appeal of Halo is the fact that it can be customized to fit the preferences of almost any player.
    Garrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Garrus
    @Fosssil: Well the fact that the BR does seem a problem for me makes me feel that way. I just feel that looking at the amount of BR used in Halo 2 left an effect of wanting the BR as a standard weapon in Halo 3 because it seems effective at all ranges unless you have a shotgun for close and a sniper for the very far. As opposed to just making it a little more effective for headshotting possibly but having weaker damage on the body hits.

And again, I just feel that Halo 3 seemed to fall into the embrace of MLG with the BR loving a little too much, and yes I know a few people who are actually pissed off because the DMR is not a burst weapon but will infact be harder to use than the BR which is great for spraying at close range where as the DMR should be harder to handle at closer ranges. I never assumed that every single person of MLG was pissed off, and Im aware that some people in the community that generally annoys me, will look optimistically at the game.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK

Just because i can't resist, here's the TODs of the last 5 games i player

Team BRs on ghost Town, ToD Rockets, +9 k/d 

Team BRs on Narrows, ToD melee, +6 

Team Slayer on Last Resot, ToD shotgun, +16 

Team slayer on Last Resort, Tod... shotgun, +12 

Team Slayer on Construct, ToD missile pod, +4 

Now i'm not going to lie, my tool of destruction is the BR, followed closely by melee, banshee, sniper. And to be doubly fair i do like to mix things up when i play, no sense repeating the same over and over, but i'm just showing here there's plenty of weapon variety to be had. 

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bionicicide

Brutes made no sense, they never explained their origins in the 2nd. Reminded me of Planet of the Apes.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Capum15 said:
    " @Evilsbane said:
    " @WoolyAbyss said:

In three they were ok in 2 they were god awful, but nothing was ever as much fun as fighting the Elites in 1 they are just a good enemy.  This game I hope, I think is going to be awesome this is the final stand of the spartans, hundreds of super soldiers fighting impossible odds? Whats not to love? "
    Excluding the SPARTAN-III's, there were only roughly 60 or so Spartans (S-II) fighting on Reach, and like, eight died hitting the planet at terminal velocity (the Pelican was shot down, they had to jump), and some 5-10 more were injured as all hell. Three S2's were in space recovering a data packet (The Chief among them).

I didn't even know Spartan 3's were on Reach until a while ago. Did Bungie just throw them into Reach for the sake of having more Spartans? I mean, all the S2's were pretty much in one place, and shortly after landing under Reach (CASTLE base to be specific). Guess they can play with that, since the book never mentions anything but the S2 stuff, and none of the side-stuff.

Then again, what I just said made it more bad-ass (not hundreds, but tens of Spartans fighting an army). Like you said, what's not to love? Hell, in the book, one Spartan II (Kelly) threw a grenade-sized nuke into a covenant ship and took it out, and the army of roughly ten thousand soldiers beneath it, and to them it still wasn't worth the death of one Spartan. Titanium balls.  ...err, anyway, I can't wait for Reach. "
    LOL whoa dude I just wanna beat the shit out of some aliens .... lol titanium balls.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @SammydesinasNL said:
    " No brutes! Seen as how they only join the covenant in the second they presumably won't feature in Reach. I do expect there to be new enemies varients though (some of which also annoying?). "
    Brutes are a race in the Convenant in stories which predate the first Halo game, it's just that they usurp the throne from the Elites when the Elite General who becomes The Arbiter fails to 'kill the demon' and the rest of the 'humahns' in the first game and is tried for treason.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Vager said:

" I wanna hear Elites say "Wort Wort Wort!" again. "

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By mastrbiggy

Becuase Halo 3 and ODST were not that great.  Reach at least looks great.

caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DystopiaX
    @mikeeegeee said:
    " I'm all for hoping that this game will be the best of the series (naively hoping, maybe?), but this kind of speculation is bananas. We've seen next to nothing from this game at this point. Give it some time. Who's to say that the possible exclusion of an enemy type will make a better game? "
    anyone who even speculates that any halo game will be better than CE is dead to me, unless that game is an exact remake of CE with Live compatibility and non-stupid playlists.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Whisperkill

Yeah I know. Brutes fucking suck compared to Elites. 

gungrave45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By gungrave45

brutes will be in reach.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DystopiaX

better for a variety of reasons: 
    1. return of health 
    2. (Speculation) Elites in "invasion" only gametypes 
    3. Sage is lead sandbox designer (worked on Shadowrun, the 2007 version) 
    4. DMR+scoped pistol=1-shot kills=more skill 
    5. add on to 4-competition with sniper for long-range kills (knock sniper out of scope=reduced power of Sniper without nerfing it 
    6. Needle rifle as a precision version of needler+no needler=yet another weapon that takes skill. 
    7. No perks/player progression that would make the playing field uneven.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.