Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Reach

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Sep 14, 2010

A prequel to Halo: Combat Evolved, chronicling one of the most cataclysmic events of the Halo Universe through the eyes of a squad of Spartan super-soldiers known as Noble Team. It is also the last game in the series developed by Bungie.

Anyone fatigued by Reach? Is this series getting stale?

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GhostlyEnigma

I'm not a member of the "lolhalo" camp, anti-Halo and Call of Duty union, nor a member of gametrailers.com's forums. I love this series, but recently, I became bored from Reach. I'm putting more time into Bad Company 2 and Black Ops (mainly due to how Modern Warfare 2 left a bitter taste in my mouth). This is unprecedented for me, because I placed more hours into Halo 3, than I did for COD4 and TF2. I have to admit that this series has ran dry, and Reach isn't doing much for me. I thought Reach would've kept me coming for days  like Halo 3 did, but I haven't touch the game for quite a while now. Probably because Halo doesn't feel as compelling or special as prior Halo titles (Minus the Halo Wars, which was crap), as it doesn't do anything new, but polishes and adds everything from previous Halo games. Don't get me wrong, Reach is a very solid game, but I'm Halo'd out.

343 Industries better be doing something new with the upcoming Halo game with Master Chief, because I['m probably going to give it a pass if I have to battle the Covenant again or play around with the slightly altered by same mechanics again. I feel Halo is becoming stale at this point, and this is coming from a Halo nerd.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Deeveeus

Halo 3 was like COD 4....the APEX, it made the online what Online FPS IS now, but what else can you do with that game now...really? FPS in general. And its not that these are BAD games (I never was a fan, but thats opinion, I love Resistance 2, but what does that really do different, besides maybe the guns and online co op). At this point its just to feed peoples love of the past games. It's good and bad, as in time it can stagnate what WAS great, but at the same time keep feeding those who REALLY love it...I have played every R&C, MGS and RE game, so I cannot say I am above this in anyway

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Deeveeus:  for some reason this post confuses me
    karatetron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By karatetron

I'm still really enjoying playing Halo: Reach with friends.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Djeffers03

Yeah Im a massive Halo fan and even I am tired of Reach, but to be fair to the game it was the only thing I played for 2 months straight until Black Ops came out so I definitely got my money's worth. It's a fantastic game but for me it just doesn't have quite the same appeal as Halo 3 with it's multiplayer. 

As for 343 I really hope they go through with the Combat Evolved re-make because I really fear they wont be able to deliver if they try to make something completely new. After all like Jeff (I believe) said Reach was pretty much the ultimate Halo game and nothing could really be added to make it any better than it was without ruining the successful formula.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I'm very much the opposite of your opinion. I thought the series was pretty much dead with Halo 3 but Reach re-invigorated my interest. I stated before that in my opinion Reach's multiplayer is better than Halo 3's ever was (despite what the so-called "Hardcore" say) and Reach's campaign at least had a reasonable beginning and end. Something that couldn't be said since Combat Evolved. I hope 343 learned well from Bungie's swan song. I'm more interested in Halo 4 now than I ever though possible after 3.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By rjaylee

To be fair, it's just the nature of the beast. I can't heavily blame the series itself for being 'stale' or whatever you want to call it. You can't help but say that the laws of de-appreciation are heavily in effect. If a game like Reach is the hottest thing since sliced bread and it's all you're playing for hours and hours on end, of course you are going to get fatigued by the game.

You can say that there are a lack of encompassing IP's out there to bring enough of your attention away from these marquee sequels such as Reach (or even Black Ops at this point), but like they always say, good things come in moderation.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dantheman1515

Halo Reach is the best console fps ever made. CoD 4 comes close, but Reach just has everything. I just wish I had more time to play it, luckily I have three weeks of break before next semester, so I plan on sinking a bunch of time into it. The call of duty formula seems more stale to me, this is the fourth straight year of the same leveling and prestige system, while Reach represents the first true leveling system in the Halo series which is addicting for me at least. PLus those daily challenges are awesome. 

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @Dad_Is_A_Zombie said:
    " I'm very much the opposite of your opinion. I thought the series was pretty much dead with Halo 3 but Reach re-invigorated my interest. I stated before that in my opinion Reach's multiplayer is better than Halo 3's ever was (despite what the so-called "Hardcore" say) and Reach's campaign at least had a reasonable beginning and end. Something that couldn't be said since Combat Evolved. I hope 343 learned well from Bungie's swan song. I'm more interested in Halo 4 now than I ever though possible after 3. "
    Halo 3 has a good end. It had a bit of cliff-hanger ending, but it was plausible and evocative ending. It wasn't as abrupt or anti-climatic as Halo 2. Same could be said for ODST. Halo: Reach's multi-player is better than Halo 3 in a lot of ways, and worse in some. Such as the maps and spawn points, not to mention how much I loathe armor lock. 
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Deeveeus
    @FancySoapsMan: All I mean is that at this point in the Halo series (and many shooters), it seems to have hit a wall as far as innovation goes...at least for a while. Now the new games in these series are just coming out to continue use of the fine Online system Halo2 created (and 3 perfected) to feed a groups love of this style of game play, but in time if they continue to do this it will grow stagnant (and this just happens quicker for some).
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard
    @GhostlyEnigma said:
    "This is unprecedented for me, because I placed more hours into Halo 3, than I did for COD4 and TF2."
    Therein lies your problem. Halo 3 was great, but COD4 really was, at the time, the best experience ever for online shooters. I still rate it as the best COD now. I'd rather play that than Black Ops, and especially MW2. So I recommend you go do that. That, or like I've done, start playing TF2 on the computer - the console one was absolute shite - but I'm suddenly realising why everyone loves this game. And I still suck at it.  
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @dantheman1515 said:
    " Halo Reach is the best console fps ever made. CoD 4 comes close, but Reach just has everything. I just wish I had more time to play it, luckily I have three weeks of break before next semester, so I plan on sinking a bunch of time into it. The call of duty formula seems more stale to me, this is the fourth straight year of the same leveling and prestige system, while Reach represents the first true leveling system in the Halo series which is addicting for me at least. PLus those daily challenges are awesome.  "
    I would say the same for the Call of Duty series too, if Modern Warfare 2 wasn't so unbalance and broken... I pray the series ends after Modern Warfare 3.
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    "This is unprecedented for me, because I placed more hours into Halo 3, than I did for COD4 and TF2."
    Therein lies your problem. Halo 3 was great, but COD4 really was, at the time, the best experience ever for online shooters. "  
    Nope. That would be Team Fortress 2, and this is coming from someone who played Halo 3 more than Team Fortress 2.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Firefight Forge is all I want.

If anything needs a kick up the ass its Call of Duty in my opinion really, I really see too little difference, but lots of restrictions like no offline bots and such, in all the titles.
    I still love Reach's offering of so many modes and options, so no, it's not getting stale for me at all.

rawrz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rawrz

With how much i played Halo 2 and 3 im surprised im still yet to be tired of Halo. I prefer Reach over 3 and find it a lot more enjoyable.

Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Deeveeus
    @GhostlyEnigma said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    Therein lies your problem. Halo 3 was great, but COD4 really was, at the time, the best experience ever for online shooters. "  
    Nope. That would be Team Fortress 2, and this is coming from someone who played Halo 3 more than Team Fortress 2. "
    There would be some to say Counter Strike Source is Number one for that matter
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Shadow

Halo Reach is the best FPS ever.  That said, I am kind of feeling this, if only because saving up for that damn pestilence armor effect is getting tiresome as it's getting increasingly difficult not to just buy a shitload of stuff that looks awesome, I can afford, and am at a high enough rank to purchase.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Bollard
    @GhostlyEnigma said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    Nope. That would be Team Fortress 2, and this is coming from someone who played Halo 3 more than Team Fortress 2. "
    Sorry, I should have been more specific - at that point I meant console fps, hence the comment afterwards about me only getting into TF2 now I have a PC. I can clearly see why that would be the best online experience (now haha).  As I said the console version was terrrrible.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Deeveeus:  Yeah, I understand what you're saying now.  And you're probably right.
    christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By christ0phe

Someone literally creates this thread once a week

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By FreakAche

I liked it when I played through it, although I gave up on my Legendary playthrough because the terrible save system kept making me lose progress (my rantings about the bad save system in Halo games warrants a forum/blog post of it's own).

I haven't played it in a while, but if and when I get a Gold account again, I imagine I'll pour quite a bit of time into the online. Also, it's a really great game to play split-screen with friends.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Lukeweizer

It got stale after the first week for me. But that's because I was greedy and was grinding Gruntpocalypse like crazy to rank up to Captain. 

But none of my friends are even playing it. And they were more jacked for it than I was (I was only jacked about the Armor Lock ability).

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @Shadow said:
    " Halo Reach is the best FPS ever.  That said, I am kind of feeling this, if only because saving up for that damn pestilence armor effect is getting tiresome as it's getting increasingly difficult not to just buy a shitload of stuff that looks awesome, I can afford, and am at a high enough rank to purchase. "
    There's no such thing as the best FPS ever. 

@Deeveeus said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    There would be some to say Counter Strike Source is Number one for that matter "
    Nah, Team Fortress 2 still trumps both Halo and Counter-Strike. 
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Deeveeus
    @GhostlyEnigma: hahaha, I guess so....personally I hated CS...damn snipers :P
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mordukai

Not as stale as the CoD series. 

GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @Mordukai said:
    " Not as stale as the CoD series.  "
    If you've read one of my previous post, you can tell that I feel that the COD series is becoming a little stale. However, I don't believe it's as stale as the Halo franchise, due to how unbalance Modern Brokefare 2 was. Black Ops may not have done anything new with the franchise, other than adding Halo 3's Theater mode, but it re-balances everything and polishes all that was wrong with Modern Warfare 2. 

Okay, I'm not saying Modern Warfare 2 was a bad game. It isn't, but was a sole disappointment. 

I hope both franchises will evolve in the future.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mordukai
    @GhostlyEnigma said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    If you've read one of my previous post, you can tell that I feel that the COD series is becoming a little stale. However, I don't believe it's as stale as the Halo franchise, due to how unbalance Modern Brokefare 2 was. Black Ops may not have done anything new with the franchise, other than adding Halo 3's Theater mode, but it re-balances everything and polishes all that was wrong with Modern Warfare 2.  Okay, I'm not saying Modern Warfare 2 was a bad game. It isn't, but was a sole disappointment.  I hope both franchises will evolve in the future. "
    And that's why I think Treyarch will always be in IW shadow even after IW is pretty much a shadow themselves these days. CoD 4 was the last CoD that was actually new and good. After that everything pretty much stayed the same just a different box art. To me all the CoDs after 4 were just glorified patch updates. 
    GhostlyEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By GhostlyEnigma
    @Mordukai said:
    " @GhostlyEnigma said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    If you've read one of my previous post, you can tell that I feel that the COD series is becoming a little stale. However, I don't believe it's as stale as the Halo franchise, due to how unbalance Modern Brokefare 2 was. Black Ops may not have done anything new with the franchise, other than adding Halo 3's Theater mode, but it re-balances everything and polishes all that was wrong with Modern Warfare 2.  Okay, I'm not saying Modern Warfare 2 was a bad game. It isn't, but was a sole disappointment.  I hope both franchises will evolve in the future. "
    And that's why I think Treyarch will always be in IW shadow even after IW is pretty much a shadow themselves these days. CoD 4 was the last CoD that was actually new and good. After that everything pretty much stayed the same just a different box art. To me all the CoDs after 4 were just glorified patch updates.  "
    I wouldn't go as far as saying that COD4 was the last good game in the series, but you're correct in your assessment of the franchises's lack of evolution. Despite that, World at War was a fine game and Black Ops was a very good game. Plus, World at War did add one new feature that was a welcome addiction to the franchise, and that was the Nazi Zombie mode. If you ask me, COD4 was the last truly great Call of Duty game.
    iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By iKANNIBAL

No but this damned temporary ban i received for being booted over an accident makes me wanna slap a ho. Particularly bungie.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.